The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Maine Hot Dog Stands

Big Wind

• Total Posts: 1
Maine Hot Dog Stands Tue, 08/10/10 11:15 AM (permalink)
I'm looking for suggestions in Maine for Great Hot Dogs,,,Big Wind

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
    Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Tue, 08/10/10 11:39 AM (permalink)

(Various locations throughout the Pine Tree State. )

bigdog540

• Total Posts: 101
      Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Wed, 08/11/10 9:57 AM (permalink)
      Two that come to mind.

Rapid Ray's in Saco. Good chili dogs, open late nights.

http://www.rapidrays.biz/

And Flo's Rt. 1 Cape Neddick, also Kittery at the Trading Post.
      Classic Flo Dog is a steamed N/C dog w/ a spicy onion BBQ sauce, mayo and celery salt.

http://www.floshotdogs.com/

bostonhotdogman

• Total Posts: 9
        Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Fri, 09/17/10 12:41 PM (permalink)
        Hot Diggity Dogs at 6 York Street in Kennebunk (route 1) and Karen's on a Roll on Route 1 in Wells are both excellent. They both serve up Shields' franks which are made in Kennebunk and are a regional favorite. Rapid Rays and Flo's are both good too. You can read about these places on my site called Hot Dog Stories. (google it- I can't post links yet)

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
          Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Fri, 09/17/10 9:14 PM (permalink)
          I've been to Maine and can recommend Wasses. Haven't been to Rapid Ray's, but heard good things about them. Just my opinion, but Flo's is the most overrated dog I've ever had. A bland, steamed pork based dog that has no flavor. Their onion based relish/sauce is very popular, but I've never sampled it because I hate onions. They also put mayonaise on a Flo dog. I don't think it belongs. But don't listen to me. If you're in the area, check it out for your self. You may like their onion relish. And maybe mayonaise on your dog. But the actual frank is bland and doesn't compare with the majority of German style beef/pork franks that I've sampled on the East Coast.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3661
            Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Fri, 09/17/10 10:25 PM (permalink)
            [
            John Fox

I've been to Maine and can recommend Wasses. Haven't been to Rapid Ray's, but heard good things about them. Just my opinion, but Flo's is the most overrated dog I've ever had. A bland, steamed pork based dog that has no flavor. Their onion based relish/sauce is very popular, but I've never sampled it because I hate onions. They also put mayonaise on a Flo dog. I don't think it belongs. But don't listen to me. If you're in the area, check it out for your self. You may like their onion relish. And maybe mayonaise on your dog. But the actual frank is bland and doesn't compare with the majority of German style beef/pork franks that I've sampled on the East Coast.
                I  agree.  This had to be the worst   Roadfood  experience  that I ever had.

Holly Moore

Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Fri, 09/17/10 11:36 PM (permalink)
              No. No! Noooo!!! For the first time (I think) we disagree, John. Flo's serves a unique, one of a kind dog. For some curious reason the hot sauce/mayonnaise blend works for Flo's, and probably only Flo's.  I wouldn't eat there every day, but they are a treat I always seek out after I cross the bridge from New Hampshire into Maine.

Along with Wasses and Rapid Ray's,  I also like Bolley's in Hallowell, though probably more for their fresh cut fries and moon pies.  If you're heading way up downeast, Rosie's on the wharf in Eastport does a good grilled hot dog with factory (as in sardine factory) mustard from Rayes Mustard Mill.

Another unique hot dog, at least for Maine, is Simone's in Lewiston.  Bright, red dye number two, red.  Maybe the most neon red dog served anywhere in the US.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
                Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Sat, 09/18/10 3:48 AM (permalink)
                Holly Moore

No. No! Noooo!!! For the first time (I think) we disagree, John. Flo's serves a unique, one of a kind dog. For some curious reason the hot sauce/mayonnaise blend works for Flo's, and probably only Flo's.  I wouldn't eat there every day, but they are a treat I always seek out after I cross the bridge from New Hampshire into Maine.

Along with Wasses and Rapid Ray's,  I also like Bolley's in Hallowell, though probably more for their fresh cut fries and moon pies.  If you're heading way up downeast, Rosie's on the wharf in Eastport does a good grilled hot dog with factory (as in sardine factory) mustard from Rayes Mustard Mill.

Another unique hot dog, at least for Maine, is Simone's in Lewiston.  Bright, red dye number two, red.  Maybe the most neon red dog served anywhere in the US.

I went on Raye's Mustard Mills web site. Which mustard do you recommend. They have a bunch!

Holly Moore

Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Sat, 09/18/10 2:32 PM (permalink)
                  For hot dogs I recommend their "Factory Mustard."  Way back when, Rays primarily made mustard for the sardine packing plants on the Maine coast.  Factory mustard it the product they produced.  It is more fluid than typical mustard but spreads nicely on a hot dog.  I just checked their site and it is not listed.  You can order by asking for it in the comments on the contact page or calling them.  Ask for "Liquid Gold."  It comes in 64 oz and gallon sizes.

The other option is to try their Down East Schooner Mustard which is close in flavor, has a thicker mustard texture and comes in small sizes. 

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
                    Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Sat, 09/18/10 3:43 PM (permalink)
                    Holly Moore

For hot dogs I recommend their "Factory Mustard."  Way back when, Rays primarily made mustard for the sardine packing plants on the Maine coast.  Factory mustard it the product they produced.  It is more fluid than typical mustard but spreads nicely on a hot dog.  I just checked their site and it is not listed.  You can order by asking for it in the comments on the contact page or calling them.  Ask for "Liquid Gold."  It comes in 64 oz and gallon sizes.

The other option is to try their Down East Schooner Mustard which is close in flavor, has a thicker mustard texture and comes in small sizes. 

THANX Holly!

bigdog540

Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Sun, 09/19/10 10:03 AM (permalink)
                      A while back Flo's changed the dog from a N/C Schultz's to N/C Shield's. Schultz went out of business. The Schultz dog was a milder, beef/pork/veal dog and had a light spice to it. I find the Shield's a beef/pork dog a little spicier, more peppery. If you haven't been to Flo's in the past three or four years you may be thinking of the wrong dog.

John Fox

Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Sun, 09/19/10 5:50 PM (permalink)
                        I haven't been to Flo's in 9 or 10 years. I've been to Maine and Flo's twice and had the Schultz dog both times. Even a more flavorful dog is milder steamed than fried or grilled. Plus I had my dog with mustard only. Flo's switched to Old Neighborhood when Schultz went out of business. That's what I heard. I was unaware that they are now using Shield's.

bigdog540

Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Mon, 09/20/10 8:34 AM (permalink)
                          John,
                              last time I was at Flo's early this spring they were serving Shield's. At least that's what they claimed they served. I've had Old Neighborhood at many places and I bought the Shield's answer. Either way, these are a mild low spiced beef/pork N/C dog.

I agree with Holly, the mayo / sauce combination works well. I was skeptical when I first tried Flo's dog, but they are worth the trip and I stop whenever in the area.

John Fox

Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Mon, 09/20/10 8:44 AM (permalink)
                            I didn't try their relish since I know it contains onions. It's possible that Flo's went from Schultz to Old Neighborhood to Shield's. What I had was a bland, steamed (Schultz) dog with just mustard. I don't think I would like anything with mayo (onions or not) on my dog. But that's me. Flo's is very popular and so is their sauce/relish. Just not a place I like, although I might if I went now. I've heard that Shield's is a decent dog. I think it's made in Kennebunkport. I've stayed there twice and never saw these dogs.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                              Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Mon, 09/20/10 8:56 AM (permalink)
                              <<The other option is to try their Down East Schooner Mustard which is close in flavor, has a thicker mustard texture and comes in small sizes. 
                              For the past 6 months or so, Raye's Mustards (various flavors) have been turning up in the Big Lots store in South Plainfield NJ. The price is only about $1.50 per jar, and I agree it's dam good mustard. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone wants to try thier local Big Lots before doing any mail-ordering.

John Fox

Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Mon, 09/20/10 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                Thanks Ken. I did see Raye's at Gary's Wines in Madison. That's a bit of a hike for a jar of mustard. But there is a Big Lots store in Mountainside. I'll get it there.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                  Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Mon, 09/20/10 9:56 AM (permalink)
                                  <<But there is a Big Lots store in Mountainside>

John, the Big Lots in Mountainside (I think it was actually Springfield) has been closed for a few months. I checked thier website and the closest one is now in South Plainfield. Luckily that's only about 15 minutes from me, I take a ride down there every month or so, not just for mustard, I always find some interesting chips etc. too.

drummer from NY

• Total Posts: 1
                                    Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Wed, 09/22/10 1:28 PM (permalink)
                                    Hi everyone,

I'm new here but noticed this tread for hot dogs in Maine.  I visit Harrington, Maine every summer.  This summer I met Lenny Boucher from Gouldsboro.  He's a musician and built a hot dog stand as a way to draw musicians in for an open mic jam every Summer sunday from 12 to 5pm..  His site is linwoods hotdog stand, no spaces.  I realize this is a blatant plug for Lenny but he deserves it!  OH, and the dogs are fine, nice and hot with steamed buns!

Attached Image(s)

mollydingle

• Total Posts: 221
                                      Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Wed, 09/22/10 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                      Wasses', Flo's and Bolley's come to mind. I'm not a big fan of Flo's, either, but it's an experience.
                                       Hot dog stand in Harrington? OMG, that's progress!
                                         (We used to live in the area-Cherryfield, Columbia and Machiasport. That's the REAL Down East!)

Holly Moore

Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Wed, 09/22/10 7:56 PM (permalink)
                                        Egads, I forgot one of my favorite's Perry's Hot Dog Cart, with it's quarter pound Kosher hot dog, on the Wharf in Portland.  http://www.hollyeats.com/Perrys.htm

And a fond tip of the hat to Mr. Brud of Boothbay Harbor who has gone to that great hot dog cart in the sky. He was 82 and going strong at the time of this pic.

nysharks

• Total Posts: 103
                                          Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Wed, 09/22/10 10:17 PM (permalink)
                                          I agree with Holly.  I really like Flo's hot dogs but you have to have the hot sauce on it.  It is kind of like having a New York System hot dog in RI without the chilli.  The sauce is what makes the dog.

About 2 years ago I had asked them what hot dog they used and it was Old Neighborhood after Schultz got bought out.  They might have switched since then, I will have to ask next time.

Holly Moore

John Fox

I didn't try their relish since I know it contains onions. It's possible that Flo's went from Schultz to Old Neighborhood to Shield's. What I had was a bland, steamed (Schultz) dog with just mustard. I don't think I would like anything with mayo (onions or not) on my dog. But that's me. Flo's is very popular and so is their sauce/relish. Just not a place I like, although I might if I went now. I've heard that Shield's is a decent dog. I think it's made in Kennebunkport. I've stayed there twice and never saw these dogs.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                                            • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Wed, 09/22/10 10:32 PM (permalink)
                                            nysharks

It is kind of like having a New York System hot dog in RI without the chilli. 

I'm not sure what to call the stuff they put on the NY System dogs here in RI, but it certainly ain't chili or anything closely resembling it .....I believe they call it rhode island hot wiener sauce.

bostonhotdogman

• Total Posts: 9
                                              Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Mon, 09/27/10 1:37 AM (permalink)
                                              Sheilds Dogs are made in  Kennebunk. Their building is right on route 1.

Joedog

• Total Posts: 194
                                                Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Sat, 10/23/10 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                                Shultz going out of business was a sad day in my life.I am a hot dog junky. It was the best hod dog ever.Shconlands from the 70s gave it a run back then. Shields is the closest but they are to thin to use on the cart.I was always a beef and pork guy,but was turned on to the Kayem all beef.Customers raved. I tried the beef and pork Kayem,no complaints but you did not get the,oh my god what kind of dog is this. 6 bucks more for a case of10 lbs 8-1/ Great size. I tried the pearl 8-1 but they were pinky thick. Flo's is what it is.Not having shultz has to downgrade,but they have a nich with that sauce.8.95 for a small jar.Check out Gillys in portsmoth right across the riverfrom kittery.They use shields.and a classic place.Chicago dogs in Scarborough on rte 1 is worth a peak.They do a good job.Home cut double fried fries,and extensive dog menu.

alpatty74

• Total Posts: 3
                                                  Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Fri, 12/31/10 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                                  drummer from NY

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but noticed this tread for hot dogs in Maine.  I visit Harrington, Maine every summer.  This summer I met Lenny Boucher from Gouldsboro.  He's a musician and built a hot dog stand as a way to draw musicians in for an open mic jam every Summer sunday from 12 to 5pm..  His site is linwoods hotdog stand, no spaces.  I realize this is a blatant plug for Lenny but he deserves it!  OH, and the dogs are fine, nice and hot with steamed buns!

chris alpatty here from maine at lennys cant get to see pictures denided

alpatty74

Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Fri, 12/31/10 11:49 AM (permalink)
                                                    seams to hard to get in bye

alpatty74

Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Fri, 12/31/10 11:49 AM (permalink)
                                                      seams to hard to get in bye

mph

• Total Posts: 2
                                                        • Location: New York, NY
                                                        Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Wed, 07/10/13 8:50 PM (permalink)
                                                        I strongly second Rapid Rays - my favorite hot dogs in the world. Cheeseburgers are incredible, too.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                                          • Location: Westfield, NJ
                                                          Re:Maine Hot Dog Stands Wed, 07/10/13 9:49 PM (permalink)
                                                          Anyone have any idea what brand of frank is served at Rapid Ray's? Are they deep red?

The Bear

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com