Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46
scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/5/10 12:04 PM (permalink)
This was a topic/recipe posted on chow's website recently. My thought is that right off the bat, the secret ingredient is to start with a better tasting pepper.

http://www.scrumptiousche...t-Stuffed-Bell-Peppers

I think of stuffed peppers as being soul food or country cooking. What are some crucial ingredients you put into your stuffed peppers?

What kind of pepper do you use?
<message edited by scrumptiouschef on Sat, 08/25/12 12:26 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
    Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/5/10 12:12 PM (permalink)
    Chef, you might enjoy this thread from another board.

Brad

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
      Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/5/10 12:22 PM (permalink)
      Interesting Brad. When I think of stuffed peppers I think of the way my mom made them, cut off the top, core out the seeds and veins and stuff with loose, cooked ground beef lightly seasoned. She then placed them tightly arraigned in a big pot and filled the pot with tomato sauce to just cover the top. They were then simmered for a few hours until the peppers softened. As far as seasoning, anything my mom made contained a vast amount of garlic! I still make this for me and my vegetarian partner but with the Morningstar Farms crumbles. With the sauce, seasoning and the peppers, you really can't tell it's not real meat.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
        Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/5/10 1:26 PM (permalink)
        Green peppers, ground beef, finely chopped onions, Beef Rice a Roni, tomato sauce, fresh garlic finely minced, Salt, Pepper all mixed together, put in slow cooker on low all day.

analei

• Total Posts: 533
          Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/5/10 1:34 PM (permalink)
          My mom used cubanelle peppers, stuffed with mixture of soft bread crumbs, eggs, a bit of ground meat,  finely chopped mortadella or prosciutto, a bit of garlic and onion, a wee bit of parsley, and bit of finely peeled and seeded tomato.  Drizzled with olive oil and baked it. I like the cubanelle peppers because they melt into the filling.

I am so hungry now!!

scrumptiouschef

Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/5/10 3:34 PM (permalink)
            Thanks Brad, that is a seriously delicious looking recipe. Substitute Poblano for Bell and I could eat a half dozen of those.

Downthread: Love the mortadella/cubanelle idea. I've used chile Chilaca before too and it's a really good chile for stuffing.

We just go out of Hatch season out here in Austin and I've got 15lbs roasted and in the freezer so I'm looking good for stuffed chiles all winter long.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
              Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/5/10 3:42 PM (permalink)
               I use red bell peppers for the sweetness. The filling is Ground beef, Uncle Ben's rice, celery, onions, carrots, mozzarella, parmasean, fresh ground pepper, sea salt, parsely, and a little tomato sauce.  Cover them tightly with foil. I then put them into the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour with a little water in the pan. Outstanding!!

David O.

baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
                Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Wed, 10/6/10 11:07 PM (permalink)
                I make them pretty much the standard way - but I use Bloody Mary mix instead of tomato sauce for a little different twist on an old standard.

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                  Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Wed, 10/6/10 11:46 PM (permalink)
                  I use italian long hot peppers or hot cherry peppers stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, italian sausage. oregano, fresh parsley, minced onion and  garlic,torn bread milk soaked and grated parmesan, topped with mozzerella in tomato sauce.

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
                    Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Fri, 10/8/10 10:57 AM (permalink)
                    I never make them because I'm the only one who likes them, but I still remember the ones my mother made, and I loved them. She used finely ground leftoverbeef and pork roast canned tomatoes squished up very small, onion, and leftover mashed potatoes to bind it up. Parsley, too, I think. She put longhorn cheese on the top and baked them.  This was the highest and best use for leftovers I had ever seen. Oh, and first she steamed the green bell pepper halves until they were just tender. I would have eaten those things every day.

ALLGOOD

• Total Posts: 167
                      Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Fri, 10/8/10 12:42 PM (permalink)
                      Campbells condensed tomato soup, rice, diced tomatos-drained, and velveeta cheese.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                        Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Fri, 10/8/10 1:46 PM (permalink)
                        scrumptiouschef

I think of stuffed peppers as being soul food or country cooking.

That's funny. I think of stuffed peppers being Jewish (gefilte peppers in Yinglish) and Eastern European cooking (toltott paprika).

analei

• Total Posts: 533
                          Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Fri, 10/8/10 2:12 PM (permalink)
                          shortchef

I never make them because I'm the only one who likes them, but I still remember the ones my mother made, and I loved them. She used finely ground leftoverbeef and pork roast canned tomatoes squished up very small, onion, and leftover mashed potatoes to bind it up. Parsley, too, I think. She put longhorn cheese on the top and baked them.  This was the highest and best use for leftovers I had ever seen. Oh, and first she steamed the green bell pepper halves until they were just tender. I would have eaten those things every day.

--oh yes..how did i forget..mashed potatoes..that is my favourite filling..yours is pretty good..sounds lke something i would really like.

ALLGOOD

• Total Posts: 167
                            Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Fri, 10/8/10 2:43 PM (permalink)
                            Venison

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                              Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sun, 10/10/10 11:00 AM (permalink)
                              Ha, I always thought stuffed bell peppers was a Creole dish, I guess they can still be, when made with shrimp or crabmeat.
                              My neighbor makes some good ones, he uses small chunks of ham with his ground meat, Rotel, and a 5-cheese topping.   I grew up eating them either with beef, or shrimp, and stuffed with rice, stewed tomatoes and a cheddar topping, but prefer seasoned bread crumbs over the rice.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/19/10 9:41 PM (permalink)
                                Not ground beef meat, sausage meat.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                  Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/19/10 10:08 PM (permalink)
                                  Fab, you might be right. It would depend on the sausage though.

My recipe... A combo of 2 parts ground chuck, and one pound Jimmy Dean sausage, and two packs Uncle Ben"s wild rice, and one can of Rotell Tomatoes.
                                  Joe

scrumptiouschef

Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Mon, 07/30/12 12:02 AM (permalink)
                                    Ate some fantastic stuffed poblano a couple nights ago at a friends house and he mentioned that he seasoned the pork/rice dressing with fish sauce! Love the stuff and will definitely try this secret weapon.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
                                      Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Mon, 07/30/12 2:47 AM (permalink)
                                      Banana peppers....with a stuffing base that is smaller than a traditional crouton...larger than breadcrumbs. Marinated artichokes & pepperoni usually with other antipastish ingredients depending on the mood or season. Vodka sauce.

scrumptiouschef

Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 08/25/12 12:26 AM (permalink)
                                        Hatch Peppers are in the markets in Austin right now. .33 a lb! time to start stuffing chiles y'all.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
                                          Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 08/25/12 10:37 AM (permalink)
                                          I paid $1.59 lb for some last week.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                            Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 08/25/12 10:43 AM (permalink)
                                            scrumptiouschef

This was a topic/recipe posted on chow's website recently. My thought is that right off the bat, the secret ingredient is to start with a better tasting pepper.

http://www.scrumptiousche...t-Stuffed-Bell-Peppers

I think of stuffed peppers as being soul food or country cooking. What are some crucial ingredients you put into your stuffed peppers?

What kind of pepper do you use?

I don't have any special ingredients, but if I could get the sauce to taste like the sauce in Stouffer's frozen stuffed peppers, I'd be a happy man!

scrumptiouschef

Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 08/25/12 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                              got a couple pounds of gator meat from LA thawing out in the fridge, should get a pan of Hatch Chile/gator enchiladas out of it as well as a handful of gator stuffed Hatch

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                                                Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sun, 08/26/12 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                                I use a combination of ground chuck, pork, and shrimp.  I make a large batch at a time, and wrap individually in Saran wrap, freeze in a Zip loc bag.  My dad's old school, expects rice in them, which I'm not too crazy about, so just put enough that you can see they have some. 

I prefer my peppers on the firm side, just about any kind of filling will work, but really don't like the peppers too soft.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                                  • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
                                                  Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sun, 08/26/12 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                                  BelleReve

Ha, I always thought stuffed bell peppers was a Creole dish, I guess they can still be, when made with shrimp or crabmeat.
                                                  My neighbor makes some good ones, he uses small chunks of ham with his ground meat, Rotel, and a 5-cheese topping.   I grew up eating them either with beef, or shrimp, and stuffed with rice, stewed tomatoes and a cheddar topping, but prefer seasoned bread crumbs over the rice.

My mom was Hungarian second gen and my mom made stuffed peppers with ground beef. Loose recipe posted up thread. Seems this is a cross cultural dish!!! Not too far off from chile relanos.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                                    Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Mon, 08/27/12 7:27 AM (permalink)
                                                    I do pretty much the same thing.  I use a spicy Italian sausage.  I stuffed some Hatch New Mexico chiles yesterday.  They were awesome.  Cooked them on the grill.

I use italian long hot peppers or hot cherry peppers stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, italian sausage. oregano, fresh parsley, minced onion and  garlic,torn bread milk soaked and grated parmesan, topped with mozzerella in tomato sauce.

scrumptiouschef

Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/9/12 12:53 AM (permalink)
                                                      I bought some Chilaca chiles over the weekend, charred the hides off of them, stuffed them with ground beef chili then covered them with a blanket of queso Salvadorena. Came out good but not Hatch level good by any means.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                                        • Location: McKinney, TX
                                                        Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/9/12 7:27 AM (permalink)
                                                        Lea & Perrins "W" Sauce.

• Total Posts: 51
                                                          • Location: dallas, TX
                                                          Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Thu, 10/11/12 2:49 AM (permalink)
                                                          I've never made them but if I wanted to I would: marinate shrimp overnight (salt, pepper, garlic and parsley- medium chunks), get the finest smoked sausage you can get (medium dice), smoke a pork chop or two (medium dice), gotta have chicken livers, diced tomatoes, onion, fresh garlic, celery, parsley and make a stuffing or use stove top.

cut peppers in half, broil just until they start to blister
                                                          cool, stuff and bake covered 20 - 30 mins 
                                                          once peppers are tender and stuffing is hot, broil to crisp stuffing
                                                          brown a thick slice of provolone and top with bacon and green onions.

would probably have a nice brown sauce or some sour cream/cream cheese spread on french bread for a crunchy side.

I've been a black olive junkie lately, would probably toss some of them in and eat it with...

you guessed it - Ranch Dressing!

Jenniferyoung2

• Total Posts: 35
                                                            • Joined: 12/15/2010
                                                            • Location: Lowell, MI
                                                            Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Fri, 11/2/12 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                                            That sounds ridiculously yummy, 318!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com