Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 46 of 46
stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sun, 11/4/12 3:35 PM (permalink)
I use the same meat mixture we use to make meatballs. The sauce that goes over is the sauce that goes on everything.

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
    Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 11/10/12 6:01 PM (permalink)
    I make stuffed peppers using green bell peppers, cooked rice, lean ground beer, salt, pepper, garlic, parsely, a bit of dill, and for the tomato sauce, I add a pinch of sugar, salt, pepper, and a dash of cinnamon.  Kind of a Greek thing going on with that...

For jalapenos on the grill, I use hot sausage, a mix of cheese, stuff them up, wrap with a piece of bacon, and grill.  I glaze them at the end with a homemade sauce of beer and applesauce.  The sweet-hot-smokey-creamy combination is great.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
      Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 11/10/12 7:11 PM (permalink)
      I use Italian sausage and ground beef or pork, as well as Bloody Mary mix

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 641
        Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 11/24/12 1:59 PM (permalink)
        kevincad

scrumptiouschef

This was a topic/recipe posted on chow's website recently. My thought is that right off the bat, the secret ingredient is to start with a better tasting pepper.

http://www.scrumptiousche...t-Stuffed-Bell-Peppers

I think of stuffed peppers as being soul food or country cooking. What are some crucial ingredients you put into your stuffed peppers?

What kind of pepper do you use?

I don't have any special ingredients, but if I could get the sauce to taste like the sauce in Stouffer's frozen stuffed peppers, I'd be a happy man!

Went off the radar and stuffed some mammoth jalapenos with a couple links of disassembled, homemade boudin a couple nights ago. The japs were the biggest I'd ever seen but had almost zero heat. For awhile they were marketing them as "senoritas" but they've since taken the sign down.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
          Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Fri, 12/7/12 10:29 PM (permalink)
          I think worcestershire is the secret. I just made stuffed peppers yesterday.  I love the orange bells, they are so thick and sweet!!! Get some ground turkey, mix with minced onion, garlic, and the cut off tops of the orange bells.  Add some worcestershire, ketchup, 1 tsp mustard, s&p, 1 egg and bread crumbs ( don't like it stuffed with rice anymore).  Stuff the bells, prop them up  in a greased pan, about 6 together, top with more ketchup.  Oven 350 1 hour uncovered.  Makes it own juice, serve with some french fries. 

BBQCanuk

• Total Posts: 23
            Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sun, 12/9/12 1:50 AM (permalink)
            I just love (and everyone else that has tried them) the Southwestern Stuffed Peppers.  I cook hamburger (1 lbs) with onions and make a taco seasoning and mix it with one cup of rice and egg.  Put one can of diced tomatoes in a pan.  Cut peppers lengthwise (I used red, orange, yellow).  Put halves on top of tomato mixture and stuff with the filling.  Top each pepper liberally with salsa and bake in oven 350/375 deg for 40 minutes.  Remove from oven and top with shredded cheddar cheese.  Broil or put back in oven till cheese is melted.  Serve with sour cream, salsa or avocado.  They also freeze excellent.   So very yummy!   

scrumptiouschef

Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 01/5/13 3:47 PM (permalink)
              scored some unknown chiles today from a garden at a local coffeehouse, they look like a cross between cayenne and jalapenos. bout to stuff em with confit pork belly and pinto bean paste. will update as warranted.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 01/5/13 10:02 PM (permalink)
                I have always used a "devilled" crab mixture stuffed into the peppers and then baked. Yummy

scrumptiouschef

Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 02/16/13 3:18 PM (permalink)
                  Planted a bunch of Big Jim chile varietals in my front yard last week. Should have a nice batch of homegrowns in about 3 months. Anybody stuffing Big Jim's?

Phildelmar

Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 02/16/13 8:21 PM (permalink)
                    Hot Italian sausage, green onions added to the ground chuck, as well as Crimini mushrooms. Living close to Kennett Square, PA, as I do, I have great access to high quality mushrooms

Phildelmar

Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Sat, 02/16/13 8:26 PM (permalink)
                      Have tried the crab variant, but have other uses for crab which do more to maximize the flavor. And, as with mushrooms, am in a great location to get good crabmeat. Spend a good deal of time on the Chesapeake

scrumptiouschef

Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Mon, 05/6/13 5:12 PM (permalink)
                        As is mentioned here http://www.scrumptiousche...t-Stuffed-Bell-Peppers the real secret ingredient to better stuffed peppers is to replace the lowly bell with a superior chile.

Nowadays jalapenos out here in Austin are almost as big as poblanos but have zero heat, I reckon it's been bred out of them for some reason.

They still make a very fine stuffing pepper but I sprinkle cayenne all over my rice mix before I finish the procedure.

JanetPelle

• Total Posts: 27
                          Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Wed, 05/8/13 10:36 AM (permalink)
                          I make them sweet and vegetarian. Rice, apples, cranberries and plenty of seasoning!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                            Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Wed, 05/8/13 11:27 AM (permalink)
                            JanetPelle

I make them sweet and vegetarian. Rice, apples, cranberries and plenty of seasoning!

Sounds good!  A nice contrast.  For seasonings.......Cinnamon? Allspice? Sugar?

scrumptiouschef

Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Tue, 10/1/13 12:39 PM (permalink)
                              Just picked up 6 nice plump chilaca chiles from Fiesta Mart. Time to start stuffing, bought some rice mix from Best Stop in Scott La, supper's looking good.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                Re:The Secret Ingredient for the Best Stuffed Bell Peppers Wed, 10/2/13 2:22 PM (permalink)
                                scrumptiouschef

Nowadays jalapenos out here in Austin are almost as big as poblanos but have zero heat, I reckon it's been bred out of them for some reason.

Jalapeno's now range from 2,000 to 10,000 scoville units, so they can get pretty mild.  I was told by a grocer that the milder ones are a combination of both breeding and cultivation.  They sell well commercially because a lot of food producers want to include the jallapeno flavor but without the heat for broader mass marketing.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 46 of 46

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com