Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 73
BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sat, 12/18/10 10:18 AM (permalink)
I'll be traveling with my family to Hawaii on Christmas day. I plan on doing a trip report on plate lunches and meals under $10 in Honolulu and other parts of Oahu. I'll be looking for home style Hawaiian food, food trucks, shrimp trucks and low cost seafood markets/restaurants with good  tasty food bargains. I started my Restaurant career in Honolulu many years ago, I also met my wife there, got married with a small Hawaiian wedding. I hope to hook up with a few old friends and show that good food doesn't have to be expensive in Hawaii and show the heart and soul of the great food that Hawaii has to offer outside the tourist zone. I hope you will stop by this post to see some pictures of the restaurants and foods. I hope to have pictures starting a few days after Christmas. I wish all of you a Merry Christmas, health, happiness and great Roadfood eating adventures in the New Year........................ Aloha Bill

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sat, 12/18/10 10:30 AM (permalink)
    Have a wonderful time and look so forward to your report.Happy holidays to you and yours..

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
      Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sat, 12/18/10 10:59 AM (permalink)
      I was stationed at Pearl Harbor for six years and there are a trove of local places (or there were) in Pearl City. But one not to be missed place is Keniki's on the north shore. Best Kahlua Pig lunch to be found plus cole slaw and two scoops rice.

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sat, 12/18/10 12:04 PM (permalink)
        Hi BB, What years were you there and do you remember Pearl City Tavern ????????  To me the real experience of hawaiian are the plate lunches, I'm looking forward to Shoyu chicken, teriyaki, Kalua pig, Lau Lau, Kalbi Ribs (Korean Ribs) and a few others. I know most of the plate lunches came with Macaroni salad and Rice. I think if someone served a plate lunch with only one scoop of rice, the Hawaiians with riot....................Thanks for the info, Bill
        This is the plate lunch menu from the Rainbow Drive-In, the prices look good, and the food made fresh by people that have been doing it for years.......... This is the kind of menu we had at the second restaurant I managed at Ala Moana Center named the Coffee Shop, serving all local lunch specials.

Special Plate Lunches (served only on these days)
          Roast Pork w/gravy..............................................................
        (Sun + Wed + Fri) $6.50   Shoyu Chicken....................................................................
        (Mon + Wed + Fri + Sat) $6.25   Pork Long Rice....................................................................
        (Mon + Fri) $6.00   Beef or Curry Stew (alt. week).........................................
        (Sun + Wed + Sat) $6.25
          BBQ (teriyaki) Ahi Plate......................................................
        (Tues + Thurs) $7.00   Spaghetti w/Weiner.............................................................
        (Tues + Thurs) $6.00   Chopped Steak w/Vegetables...........................................
        (Tues + Thurs) $6.50   Loco Moco Plate...................................................................
        (Served Daily) 

annpeeples: Thank you Ann, the best to you and your family
        <message edited by BillyB on Sat, 12/18/10 12:16 PM>

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
          Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sun, 12/19/10 5:01 PM (permalink)
          Okay, splain to the mainlander.  What is Shoyu chicken and Kalua pig?  And I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

mamaduck43

• Total Posts: 184
            Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sun, 12/19/10 7:02 PM (permalink)
            I used to work in the building right behind Rainbows, and it is one of my favorites - - You really don't have to go anywhere off of Kapahulu Avenue to have a real tour of Island food...
            However, my favorite Korean Barbecue - very popular with the Airport workers, is Nimitz barbecue - - it is in a strip mall off of the frontage road next to Nimitz Highway...  There special plate #1 is around $8.00 but can easily stretch to feed two or one person for two meals...  There is a bit of everything on it - - closed Sundays, though...
            Have a great trip - - I am very jealous....  And I cannot wait for your report...

mar52

• Total Posts: 7591
              Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sun, 12/19/10 7:15 PM (permalink)
              It's been awhile since I've been to Oahu but I remember having a great breakfast in a hole in the wall spot walking distance from the Hilton Hawiian Village.  The HHV is quite a ways from the center of things.  I ended up having breakfast at this place everyday.... Two fried eggs, white rice and Portuguese Sausage.

Although it was Mall Food, I went back to a Korean stall in the Ala Moana Mall a few times.  I found the food there better than some of the so called better places.

This is real Hawaii:  Have a shaved ice at:

http://www.matsumotoshaveice.com/

If you like ice cream there is a local place called Dave's with several locations.  Did nothing for me.

I loved the ABC Convenience Stores that seemed to be everywhere when I was there.  They are similar to the 7-11's or Circle K's that you find in the states...  But, they had slices of the juiciest pineapple I've ever had.  They also have interesting Japanese food items like sticky rice mixed with "stuff" shaped into triangles and wrapped up in banana leaves.

Check out McDonald's when there.  Really!  They have different dipping sauces for the McNuggets.  I never had them and wish I had.  I thought I'd taste them when back home, but found out then that they're Hawaii only sauces.  They might have been taste trials. I don't eat McNuggets but would have ordered them just to taste the sauces.

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sun, 12/19/10 7:28 PM (permalink)
                Hey Mainland Nancy,The Shoyu Chicken is simmered in Soy sauce, ginger, garlic and a few other things until its about fall off the bone tender, served with white rice. This is a big plate lunch item in Hawaii. The Kalua Pig (the way I make it) Liquid smoke and Hawaiian salt and baked for a long period of time, It is like our shredded pork only without BBQ sauce. I'll take some pictures next week.........

Mamaduck........ Your right most everything can be had in and around that area. Rainbow drive-in would be my pick for a good plate lunch close to where I am staying. Do you remember Coco's ( replaced by Hard Rock Cafe) and Prince Kuhio and the Coffee shop at Ala Moana...........I will look into Nimitz BBQ I want to find some good Korean Ribs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Take care................Bill................P.S. WE used to live in Maikiki
                MAR............The food court at Ala Moana Ctr is a real good spot for a family, everyone gets their pick.................My little girl is licking her lips over the Hawaiian shaved ice, she picked out her flavor already ....
                <message edited by BillyB on Sun, 12/19/10 7:50 PM>

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6068
                  Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sun, 12/19/10 9:30 PM (permalink)
                  Have a happy, safe trip. I'll live vicariously through you. I've always wanted to see Hawaii, but it's one place I've never gotten to. Can't wait for the pictures!!

mamaduck43

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/20/10 3:43 AM (permalink)
                    Billy, I lived on Oahu for 25+ years....  Kailua and Kaneohe, mostly with an interlude near Thomas Square downtown...  Drove tour buses for 15+ of those years.... 
                    Thought of another good Korean place - Soons drive-in - it is on the back side of Salt Lake shopping center near the laundromat - - huge servings and wonderful food - their veggies are exceptional...  I think Mar is referring to Eggs and Things - check that place out - - used to be at the top of Kalaukaua Avenue, but I believe they had a fire and reopened at another location... 
                    I have been ono for some Hawaiian style Chinese food - - can't find it here - and really miss it.... 
                    I used to tell my tourists when I was driving tours that in Hawaii, we didn't eat until we were full - - we ate until we were tired.....
                    Have a great trip and think of me when you bite into your first Leonard's Malasada!!!!! 

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/20/10 8:14 AM (permalink)
                      Lee, I'll be thinking of you on the beach next week........have a nice holiday,,,,,,,,,

Mamaduck.......I started with a company named Spencecliff, at the Banquet halls at Ala Moana ctr and then opened a new restaurant for them at Bishop Museum named "Tapa Lanai." we had the best "Portuguese bean soup, Chili & Rice, plate lunch special, sandwiches and desserts" back in those days. I will check out Soons drive-in, I like the small out of the way places. I have a Hawaiian friend in Kaneohe he is about 6' 8" tall 350 lbs and should be able to knock off a few plate lunches. The first time I had a Hot Molasada was at the Hawaii State fair, they had a small cart, they fried them and tossed them in sugar and served in small french fry bags "Mini Molasadas" I was hooked from that day forward. I will only buy them hot out of the fryer, they aren't the same cold. The ones at Leonards Molasada truck at Aloha stadium are warm when you buy them, and I know the girls will want to shop at the Swap meet................Take care.........Bill

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                        Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/20/10 8:57 AM (permalink)
                        ===It's been awhile since I've been to Oahu but I remember having a great breakfast in a hole in the wall spot walking distance from the Hilton Hawiian Village.  The HHV is quite a ways from the center of things.  I ended up having breakfast at this place everyday.... Two fried eggs, white rice and Portuguese Sausage. ===

One of the best breakfasts in America is not within continental limits and just down the street from HHV. Eggs and Things puts out one outstanding breakfast, and breakfast is my professional specialty.
                        http://www.eggsnthings.com/

Google provides a link to the official Japanese version of the store in Tokyo. http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/venue/2559
                        This explains to me why there were always so many
                        Japanese eating there.

In the 'Chinatown' section is Rada's Russian Piroskis.  I lived on them back in the 70's and it seems that they are still in business.
                        mark

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/20/10 9:45 AM (permalink)
                          [class="storytext"]doggydaddy:        Rada's, my kind of place, nice to be able to buy the piroscki in small amounts. I think its a great way to get a taste of something different, Of course I always look for Russian food in Chinatown............Great hole-in-the wall idea.....thanks ............Bill

[class="storytext"]Rada's Piroscki (1146 Fort Street Mall; 533-2388), owned by Teodoro Alvarez and his wife for 20-plus years, cranks out three types of piroscki (meat-filled baked or fried dumplings) to hungry folks every day. The choices are beef, cheese and cabbage; beef and mushroom; and chicken, cheese and mushroom. They're $1.50 each and definitely stick to your ribs. Rada's also sells bags of fried squid for $1.30 each.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                            Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/20/10 1:35 PM (permalink)

BillyB,
                            I was Travelin' mannned a few years back on a revisit to Oahu.  I had to console myself with the Philipino food places with lumpia, pancit and pork adobo. 

mark

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
                              Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/20/10 1:37 PM (permalink)
                              In no p[articular order:
                              1. LIke Like drive in
                              2. Leonard's Malasadas
                              3. Legends Chinese dim sum
                              4. Any shrimp truck on the North Shore
                              bkk

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                                Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/20/10 3:54 PM (permalink)
                                Billyboy I was there from 1979 to 1985. I lived in Pearl City housing and used to frequent the Pearl City Tavern often, even after I moved to Muanaloa Terrace. I remember the PCT monkeys before they put up the glass cages. I loved the Bonsai Garden on the roof. Sadly, it's gone now. I've been back several times with my job. I remember the island before H1, usedto camp at Bellows and make kahlua pig. Good times. I even learned to like rice and spam wrapped with seaweed. LOL

mar52

• Total Posts: 7591
                                  Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/20/10 4:23 PM (permalink)
                                  Do not do a luau!  Very touristy and not good.

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/20/10 7:16 PM (permalink)
                                    Mar............No Luau's for this boy, I have seen enough of them in my day. We used to have the Kodak show Hula Band and girls come into the Restaurant once a week after their show. We used to cater some of the private ones on the island.

Brisketboy...........I left in 1980, my daughter was born there and I wanted to raise her on the mainland. I remember a small portion of H1 open back then, figured it would take years to finish. I thought the PCT had good food, I was sorry to see it gone.

mamaduck43

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/20/10 8:14 PM (permalink)
                                      BillyB - - just thought of another place for breakfast, if you are close or have time...  At the Heeia Kia Pier in Kaneohe (close to the state park), there is a bait shop/store/plate lunch place out at the end of the pier...  Best fried rice omelets and Loco Moco on the island - - I used to get the Loco Moco with half white rice and half fried rice...  Ono, for sure... 
                                      You left the Island about the time we arrived...  We moved there in the early 80's...  After living in the UK for 3 years - - talk about culture shock!!!!!  My son and his family are still there... 
                                      Again, have a wonderful trip...  I am sure that you will....

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
                                        Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Fri, 12/24/10 10:21 AM (permalink)
                                        Guess BillyB  is there already. Heard on the news that the Secret Service had already had to pull their weapons.  LOL

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Fri, 12/24/10 9:41 PM (permalink)
                                          I came over to Seattle a day early so I didn't run into bad weather on my early morning flight Christmas day. We stopped at Anthoy's at the airport so I could get my Cioppino and crusty sourdough bread. This dish originated in San Francisco on Fishermans wharf many years ago. I make this dish at home, cooking it over a long period of time into a fine seafood tomato base sauce. This wasn't bad but when you have had the best nothing really comes close. We are on our way out to Hawaii in the morning.  Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night. That was original

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
                                            Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Fri, 12/24/10 10:11 PM (permalink)
                                            BillyB, Great stuff!  In fact, very darn good for airport food.  Enjoy your Christmas in paradise. 
                                            <message edited by joerogo on Fri, 12/24/10 10:22 PM>

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
                                              Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Fri, 12/24/10 10:57 PM (permalink)
                                              BillyB think you made the right decision to get over the pass when you can this time of year. The Cioppino looks impressive and you are not there yet.

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sat, 12/25/10 9:38 AM (permalink)
                                                Hey Joe, Cioppino is on my top five favorites, so it works for me. We stay at Sleep Inn at Seatac, fee shuttle, free breakfast and $50 a night for 3 people.

Mikey .........I couldn't take a chance with the early morning fog, they canceled a few flights this week and I didn't want to miss my connecting flight in Seattle.................I'll talk to you guys in Hawaii.................Aloha.......Bill

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Sun, 12/26/10 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                                   Aloha,We went for breakfast at Zippy's Restaurant, a local chain with local plate lunches, bakery. The food on the take out side is all local food, and thats what we had for breakfast.
                                                  This is the Portuguese sausage, eggs and toast $ 5.85 the sausage was real good, just like I remembered.

My Wife had the Chili, rice. fried chicken, macaroni salad for $7.70 combo plate. She like it and it was more than enough for her and my little 10 year old. My little Mollie was eating a Cinnamon roll while eating part of out breakfast.

This is the food we ate on the way out because we can't go 3 minutes without eating. This is a flaky sugar donut, enough said

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/27/10 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                                    I took the girls to Aloha Stadium for the swap meet, the humidity was up so we stopped for a Hawaiian Ice. This is my little Mollie having fun at the swap meet

We stopped at Uncles Fish Market and Grill for some fresh seafood. The Hamachi Sashimi was first in line. Fresh melt in your month goodness, I haven't had good fresh Sashimi for awhile.

My wife had the steamed Mussels with a salad and garlic bread, she really enjoyed it.

The Chef had some fresh oysters on the menu for a special, so I ordered the Panko crusted fried Oysters/fries and cole slaw. The oysters had a nice crunch on the outside, tender and juicy fresh taste, the tarter was homemade and real good.

We got back to the Hotel and the Girls were watching the news and saw that Ala Moana ctr didn't close until 7pm because of the after holiday sales. They shot out in a flash, I watched football and took this shot of the Hawaiian sunset. NIce way to end the day............

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                      • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                      Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/27/10 11:09 AM (permalink)
                                                      Wow!! Am enjoying your trip so far-as you obviously are! Beautiful food, beautiful sunset!

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/27/10 5:32 PM (permalink)
                                                        We went to the Rainbow Drive-Inn this morning for some Great local food. I ran in to Executive General Manager Lance Shimabuku and after talking with him for a minute I found out we both worked for the same company in 1980. I just wanted to say thanks to Lance for the great food and making us feel welcome, we will stop in and see you again before we leave. My wife had the Shoyu Chicken, it was falling off the bone good, The macaroni salad fresh and the rice hit the spot.
                                                         P.S. Lance I found the Chinese Duck place near Foodland... Thanks

I had the BBQ pork, not like Mainland BBQ it is more of a Teriyaki. It was better than I expected, I finished my plate and a chicken thigh off my wifes plate, all the rice GGGGEEEEEEEEEEE I better start working out.......

Have to go take my little Mollie for a swim, not much sun but I have to keep her busy.

mamaduck43

• Location: Denmark, WI
                                                          Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Mon, 12/27/10 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                                          Dang - - I had forgotten about Zippy's - - where I used to go to eat when I could not figure out what I was 'ono' (hungry) for...  And I would usually end up with a ZipPac - something for every hunger...  A chicken thigh, mahi, slice of spam, teri beef, wonderful rice with furakaki sprinkled on it, and a slice of pickled daikon...  And that funny hunk of plastic that kinda looked like leaves or grass....  Oh, my.....  I am drooling over your photos and lost in memories..... 
                                                          Thanks for sharing - - looking forward to the 'rest of the story'.......

BillyB

Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island Wed, 12/29/10 10:56 AM (permalink)
                                                            We had breakfast at the Original Pancake house, the food was good but nothing to brag about. We took a ride to South and East Oahu to show my little Mollie Hanauma Bay, The sign said closed Tuesday. On the way to the East shore we passed the Presidents "$$$$$$ Entourage $$$$$$" driving to Hanauma bay, it looks like they opened it. We then took a ride to China town, these are a few pictures of my little Mollie, fresh Tuna coming to market, Lychee nuts and crispy pork.

These are $7 Chinese pajama's we bought for her at the flee market.

<message edited by BillyB on Wed, 12/29/10 10:58 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 73

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com