Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?"

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 67
1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Mon, 01/17/11 5:41 PM (permalink)
OK. I'll bite. What's taco soup?

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
    Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Wed, 01/19/11 5:40 PM (permalink)
    annpeeples - I made split pea soup from the recipe listed below and it was very good.  Most of it was from Cook's, I tweaked it a little, and borrowed a couple of things from another recipe.  A few notes - the recipe was developed for those of us who don't have a ham bone, so since you have a bone, you may want to omit the bacon.  I was very cautious about not adding more than the original 1/2 tsp. salt listed in the recipe, allowing for the ham and bacon to make it salty, but did find near the end, the soup needed more salt.  Also, I didn't find the carrots and celery cooked enough at the end, so would suggest simmering the soup another 10-15 min. with the lid off.  If the soup doesn't come out as thick as what you're used to, just take out about 1/2 cup cooked peas, mash with a potato masher and add back to the pot.  It really is hardy, and doesn't need more than a loaf of sourdough or some type of crusty bread served with it.

Split Pea Soup

2 TBS. butter
    1 large onion, chopped fine
    3 garlic cloves, smashed
    7 cups of water
    1 ham steak(about 1lb.), cut in quarters
    3 slices thick-cut bacon
    1/2 tsp. marjoram
    1/2 tsp. tumeric
    1/2 tsp thyme
    1 lb. dried green split peas, picked through and rinsed
    2 bay leaves
    2 medium carrots, peeled, and diced in 1/2" pieces
    1 medium celery rib, cut into 1/2" pieces

In a large Dutch oven, heat butter, add onions and 1/2 tsp salt and stirring frequently, cook for about 3-4 minutes.  Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds, stirring frequently.  Add water, ham steak, bacon, peas, bay leaves, thyme, tumeric, and marjoram.  Increase heat to high, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.
    Remove ham steak, cover with foil or plastic wrap.  Stir in carrot and celery and cover, simmer for another 30 minutes(may need additional 10-15 min more of cooking with the lid off, if carrots and celery are still a little hard). 
    When cool enough to handle, shred ham into bite-sized pieces with two forks.  Return ham to pot, adjust for salt, pepper.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
      Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Wed, 01/19/11 5:47 PM (permalink)
      I should have added - the bacon and bay leaves are removed before serving -

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Wed, 01/19/11 8:19 PM (permalink)
        Looks great, BelleReve.I have so much ham, I will be able to make both the pea and bean soup!

DougS

• Total Posts: 475
          Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Tue, 01/25/11 7:27 PM (permalink)
          Did my shopping today and came home with a bag of yellow split peas and a hunk of salt pork.
          Never tried salt pork in split peas before but love it in navy beans.  Package says not to soak split peas, just cooked till creamy. Sounds easy enough.

kishkaeater

• Total Posts: 102
            Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Wed, 01/26/11 12:30 PM (permalink)
            Remember to follow the steps in the order that they occur.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
              Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Wed, 01/26/11 10:46 PM (permalink)
              Today was certainly a snowy day here in PA so I made beer and bean soup.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1928
                Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 01/27/11 6:36 AM (permalink)
                Oh, gosh, RubyRose, that looks too good for words.  Extraordinary picture, too.  Between you and Chewy, I don't know who makes me hungrier.

carollwdls

• Total Posts: 86
                  Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 01/27/11 11:06 AM (permalink)
                  Annpeeples ~ Sorry I'm so late getting back to you on this; I have not been online much as it is freezing in the room where my computer is ~ it is not on the CH/A like the rest of my house! I make no apologies for the ingredients in this soup; it is definitely typical of its time. I love it!:

Best Beer Cheese Soup ~
                  “Daddy’s Money Restaurant” in DullAss, Texas circa 1972
                  1 ½ Jars Cheese Whiz
                  ½ Gallon whole Milk
                  4 T Parve “Chicken” Base
                  2 t Lea & Perrins
                  ½ C Water
                  5 T Cornstarch
                  1 Can Coors REGULAR
                  Cayenne & Tabasco To Taste
                  Slowly heat milk to simmering. Add cheese by spoonfuls, stirring constantly. When cheese is completely blended, add chicken base, Lea & Perrins, and peppers. Bring back to a bare simmer. Mix water and cornstarch in saucer, then add to soup a little at a time, stirring constantly. When soup has thickened, add can of beer. Simmer very low. 
                  *NOTES: Parve chicken base is a Kosher fake chicken granule. It can be found in the Kosher section in grocery stores. I do NOT mess around with the original ingredients called for in this soup, with the exception of Tabasco, because it’s too salty and sharp for my taste; I prefer similar, less well-known Louisiana hot sauces. I suppose the recipe could be altered with other fake chicken bases, lower fat milk and beer other than Coors REGULAR. Of course, it could also be made with “real” cheese as well! But I would suggest following the recipe as is the first several times it is prepared. Then rule-breaking can commence. But, except for the Tabasco, I have never deviated from the recipe. I also add more cayenne (aLOT) sprinkled into the giant mug I drink it from. Yes, I drink this soup; I do not eat it from a bowl with a spoon. It is addictive! 

CiaoMeOwww SBQ 

ann peeples

Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 01/27/11 12:17 PM (permalink)
                    Thanks so much, SBQ-that soup will be on my Super Bowl menu!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                      Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 01/27/11 4:22 PM (permalink)
                      SBQ-
                      Your Recipe says, "When cheese is completely blended, add chicken base, Lea & Perrins, and peppers." I don't see any Peppers on the Ingredents list. What Gives?

ann peeples

Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 01/27/11 8:10 PM (permalink)
                        I saw that too, and am thinking it was a typo for the cayenne pepper the recipe calls for.

jezz59

• Total Posts: 1
                          Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Fri, 02/18/11 2:55 AM (permalink)
                          Potato Soup

Ingredients

1 pound bacon 1 large onion, diced 8 potatoes, diced 1 tablespoon salt 1 tablespoon ground black pepper 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 3 cups water 1 gallon whole milk

Directions

1. In a large pot over medium heat, cook the bacon until evenly brown, but not crisp. Mix in the onion, and coat with the bacon drippings. Stir in potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Mix in the flour and water, stirring until smooth. Cover pot, and cook 10 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
                          2. Reduce heat to low. Gradually stir in the milk. Simmer soup 1 hour, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.

<message edited by jezz59 on Fri, 02/18/11 3:00 AM>

ann peeples

Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Fri, 02/18/11 4:47 AM (permalink)
                            Sounds wonderful! Thanks for the recipe!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                              Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Fri, 02/18/11 11:52 AM (permalink)
                              Jezz59,
                              Welcome to Roadfood! Thanx for the recipe. I'll bettcha you could throw in some shredded Cheddar Cheese and make it a Potato-Cheese Soup! My bride loves Potato Cheese Soup. It's supposed to rain here all weekend so this sounds like a good project. 

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Sat, 02/19/11 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                Bill, you bit but who mentioned Taco Soup? Was it me? I looked back and didn't see. That dosen't mean it wasent there. ^%#@

But... Taco Soup is just a soup w/ taco seasonings in it. Maybe it's just a Texas thing???
                                Joe

I make a typo in every post so there is an edit on almost every post... sorrry yall!
                                <message edited by PapaJoe8 on Sat, 02/19/11 7:14 PM>

1bbqboy

Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Sat, 02/19/11 10:45 PM (permalink)
                                  Davwud

I don't know if it's really a GREAT snowy day soup but......it's brutal cold out there and the snow is one the way so I made a pot of taco soup.

DT

here, PJ8. I thought maybe Davwud meant tortilla soup, but was hoping it was some Canadian/Alabama secret. :)

1bbqboy

Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Sat, 02/19/11 11:15 PM (permalink)
                                    OK, I googled some taco soup recipes. Sounds like Kansas City Steak Soup with
                                    some taco seasonings added. 
                                    plaza III, the steakhouse, steak soup recipe
                                    though at restaurants it is made with steak and fresh vegetables,
                                    this is a tasty approximation

<message edited by bill voss on Sat, 02/19/11 11:59 PM>

Georgieporgie

• Total Posts: 32
                                      Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Mon, 02/28/11 10:52 AM (permalink)
                                      Creamy tomato soup with some hot grilled cheese.... delicious!

guiller

• Total Posts: 2
                                        Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Sun, 03/13/11 4:07 AM (permalink)
                                        Bread Soup
                                        1/2 lb. of stale crusts of Allinson wholemeal bread, 4 onions, 2 turnips, 1 stick of celery, 1 oz. of butter, 1/2 oz. of finely chopped parsley, 8 pints of water, 1/2 pint of milk. Soak the crusts in the water for 2 hours before they are put over the fire. Cut up into small dice the vegetables; add them to the bread with the butter and pepper and salt to taste. Allow all to simmer gently for 1 hour, then rub the soup through a sieve, return it to the saucepan, add the milk and parsley, and, if the flavor is liked, a little grated nutmeg; boil the soup up and serve at once.

www.easycookrecipes.com
                                        <message edited by guiller on Sun, 03/13/11 4:09 AM>

caver

• Total Posts: 104
                                          Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 03/17/11 3:40 AM (permalink)
                                          Georgieporgie

Creamy tomato soup with some hot grilled cheese.... delicious!

I'll second that combination.

Pea soup?  Blecch.

baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
                                            Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 03/17/11 11:22 PM (permalink)
                                            The snowy days are long gone for us - we only had about three anyway but we had many cold rainy days and made lots of pots of soups, stews and chilis - Chicken & Dumplings, Beef Stew, Fiesta Chowder,  White Chili, Shrimp Gumbo, Loaded Potato Soup, French Onion Soup, Chili, Tortilla Soup - all good with a grilled cheese or just crackers.

1bbqboy

Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 03/17/11 11:35 PM (permalink)
                                              loaded potato soup? Tell us more.

MiamiDon

Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Fri, 03/18/11 7:42 AM (permalink)
                                                If the roadfood restaurant I'm at has it, I'll take conch chowder.

RubyRose

Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 03/24/11 9:30 AM (permalink)
                                                  Cabbage was on sale for St. Patrick's day last week so we ended up with cabbage, bean and kielbasa soup.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
                                                    Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 03/24/11 9:49 AM (permalink)
                                                    Wow RubyRose, That looks fantastic!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6068
                                                      Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 03/24/11 11:58 AM (permalink)
                                                      RubyRose...boy does that look great...recipe????

RubyRose

• Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
                                                        Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Thu, 03/24/11 10:50 PM (permalink)
                                                        leethebard

RubyRose...boy does that look great...recipe????

It's better if you let it sit in the fridge for a day before reheating and serving.

SAUSAGE CABBAGE SOUP

1 medium onion, chopped
                                                        1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
                                                        1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
                                                        2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
                                                        1 celery rib, thinly sliced
                                                        1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
                                                        2 cups chicken broth
                                                        1 cup water
                                                        2 cups chopped cabbage
                                                        1/2 pound fully cooked smoked kielbasa, quartered and cut into ¼ inch slices
                                                        1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
                                                        1 Tbsp. brown sugar
                                                        1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
                                                        1 tsp. vinegar
                                                        Salt and pepper to taste
                                                        minced fresh parsley (optional)

In a 3-qt. Saucepan, saute onion and celery in oil and butter until almost tender. Add carrots, caraway seeds, broth, water, cabbage, sausage, tomatoes, and brown sugar; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley.
                                                        Yield: 6 servings.

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                          Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Fri, 03/25/11 7:23 AM (permalink)
                                                          Another RubyRose masterpiece!!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Today's poll results - "What's Your Favorite Soup For a Snowy Day?" Wed, 04/13/11 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                                            The photo of the lam Chowder on the front page today (4/13/11) from Mo's Annex in Newpoert Oregon looks great. We have enjoyed more than one bowl of that nectar when we have visited family in Oregon. Both the Annex, and Moe's main store across the street serve this wonderful chowder.  A cup never seems to be enough !!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 67

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com