The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Weekend in Virginia

Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 133 of 133
buffetbuster

Re:Weekend in Virginia Wed, 08/28/13 12:44 PM (permalink)
Glenn1234-
Getting a second pork bbq sandwich for dessert is a great idea!

MetroplexJim-
I am starting to think of Virginia as a highly underrated state for Roadfood.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
    Re:Weekend in Virginia Wed, 08/28/13 12:58 PM (permalink)
    I am salivating  here in Minnesota. When I lived in Old Town Alexandria, we made trips to the Wayside Inn, Southern Kitchen, and Pierce's (as well as Mrs. Rowe's).  I never made it to the Roanoker, much to my regret (although I did take the Virginia Bar exam in Roanoke in [ahem] 1981).   I miss these places SO much.

However, the last time we went to the Southern Kitchen (it was at least 15 years ago, before I moved to Minneapolis), my fried chicken was undercooked -- I mean, REALLY undercooked.  I was horrified, and the memory still haunts me.  I've looked at some more recent online reviews that praise the chicken to the skies, so I'm thinking that was either a one-time slip, or they've changed owners (or cooks) since then.  Anybody had fried chicken there recently?

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
      Re:Weekend in Virginia Wed, 08/28/13 1:10 PM (permalink)
      wanderingjew

MetroplexJim

Before moving to Texas in 2005 I had lived in Virginia (Charlottesville, Staunton, Arlington, McLean) since 1969 - my entire adult life.  In those years I witnessed a wonderful improvement in both the quality and variety of eateries there.  This I attribute both to the spectacular development of NoVa from sleepy 'burbs of DC to an ultra-wealthy urban powerhouse of nearly 3 million ethnically diverse residents and to Patrick O'Connell.

Staunton and Charlottesville are not suburbs of DC by any stretch of the imagination... (If that were the case then Albany NY or even Syracuse would be a suburb of NYC)

You are indeed correct; C'vl is 120 miles from DC, Staunton 140.  But, I do not believe that I said either were part of the DC burbs, even though they were then and are now part of the DC media market (daily WaPo delivery, DC Channels 4 , 5, 7, 9, 20, and 27 on the local cable).  Even though I did not move to Arlington permanently until 1978, "for social/recreational/business/research reasons" I had visited the DC environs nearly every weekend since 1969.

My point is that NoVa (Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Loudoun, Prince William, and now parts of Stafford and Faquier) "exploded" in those years - roughly paralleling the explosion in the size of the Federal Government relative to the rest of the country, the completion of the Metro, the .com boom, and waves of immigrants from SE Asia, and Central & South America.  As a result, dining choices and quality increased.  And, Chef O'Connell certainly raised the "quality" bar.

Soon after Patrick and Reinhardt started The Inn in 1978, my circle of friends and colleagues started using it as a convenient 1/2 - way meeting point between C'vl. and NoVa.  After a few years it became way too expensive for our professors' salaries and my visits there after 1982 became the rare "special occasion" with wives and/or GF's.

And your point is? 

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
        Re:Weekend in Virginia Wed, 08/28/13 2:05 PM (permalink)
        Bingo Jim!

buffetbuster

Re:Weekend in Virginia Mon, 09/9/13 8:33 AM (permalink)
          rumaki

However, the last time we went to the Southern Kitchen (it was at least 15 years ago, before I moved to Minneapolis), my fried chicken was undercooked -- I mean, REALLY undercooked.  I was horrified, and the memory still haunts me.  I've looked at some more recent online reviews that praise the chicken to the skies, so I'm thinking that was either a one-time slip, or they've changed owners (or cooks) since then.  Anybody had fried chicken there recently?

I have and fortunately, did not receive the undercooked chicken you did.  That would certainly scare me off a place, too.  My cousin Johnny likes it enough he has driven all the way from Baltimore to eat it on a few occasions.  I like the chicken just fine, but the must eats at Southern Kitchen for me are the peanut soup and the pie.  

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1269
            Re:Weekend in Virginia Mon, 09/9/13 9:25 AM (permalink)
            Mmmmm... great biscuit pics!!!  Think I'll make some sweet potato ones this week.

I agree with wj about spoon bread.  What a great dish that is!

Looks like two nice trips, and Virginia countryside is lovely.  Go during apple season sometime!

MetroplexJim

Re:Weekend in Virginia Mon, 09/9/13 9:31 AM (permalink)
              love2bake

Looks like two nice trips, and Virginia countryside is lovely.  Go during apple season sometime!

Indeed, early fall is especially wonderous in the Shenandoah Valley!

My most recent visit to Southern Kitchen was this past May when I enjoyed a delightful country ham breakfast there. 

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                Re:Weekend in Virginia Thu, 09/12/13 12:31 PM (permalink)
                Southern Kitchen is ok, terrific atmosphere, bad coffee, fun waitresses, fun locals, food can be uneven. I am partial to the pork chops for dinner and the soup.

New Market is an interesting place to take a stroll.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                  Re:Weekend in Virginia Sat, 09/14/13 7:14 AM (permalink)
                  Thanks for the revival of this excellent thread.

cathyftr

• Total Posts: 87
                    Re:Weekend in Virginia Sun, 09/15/13 6:23 PM (permalink)
                    MetroplexJim

You are indeed correct; C'vl is 120 miles from DC, Staunton 140.  But, I do not believe that I said either were part of the DC burbs, even though they were then and are now part of the DC media market (daily WaPo delivery, DC Channels 4 , 5, 7, 9, 20, and 27 on the local cable).  Even though I did not move to Arlington permanently until 1978, "for social/recreational/business/research reasons" I had visited the DC environs nearly every weekend since 1969.

Just a tiny correction.. Even though one can still get the Post in Staunton and C'Ville, the DC stations are unfortunately getting much harder to find in that part of Virginia since C'Ville is its own market now with several local TV channels of its own including each of the four majors ( NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX ). Staunton/Waynesboro just recently got its own CBS affiliate television station ( though the studios are in Harrisonburg ) and Harrisonburg itself just got its own FOX channel not too long ago.

For those thinking of going to Virginia, I would suggest downtown Winchester since one can pretty much find any type of restaurant serving everything from French to Mexican to British food. BBQ, Subs, Hamburgers, Pizza, coffee houses...yeah one can find those as well. If they aren't on the downtown "Old Town Winchester" walking mall then they are within easily walking distance. Pretty much the only type of restaurant one will not find in downtown Winchester are chains even though like most other cities of that size such places are in Winchester, just not in the downtown area even though that wasn't always the case since Snow White grill ( which was mentioned earlier ) was once a chain and Howard Johnsons used to have a downtown Winchester restaurant as well back in the 60s and 70s.  

The downtown Winchester restaurant scene is so happening right now that the downtown George Washington Hotel actually does quite a bit of business from those out of town "foodies" who stay there wish to sample what downtown Winchester has to offer.
                    <message edited by cathyftr on Sun, 09/15/13 6:33 PM>

MetroplexJim

Re:Weekend in Virginia Mon, 09/16/13 10:45 AM (permalink)
                      Hard to imagine that Charlottesville is now a "media market".  Of course when I lived there "development" barely reached north of Barracks Rd.

You are certainly right about Winchester.  It is a true jewel and is now a dining destination.  Again, I'll credit Chef O'Connell for starting that trend in the northern piedmont.  Virginians could alway cook; now they create. 

(Speaking of Winchester, I saw where Harry Flood Byrd, Jr. passed recently.  Time flies, doesn't itIs Duff's Rebel Restaurant still there?).

cathyftr

• Total Posts: 87
                        Re:Weekend in Virginia Mon, 09/16/13 7:39 PM (permalink)
                        MetroplexJim

(Speaking of Winchester, I saw where Harry Flood Byrd, Jr. passed recently.  Time flies, doesn't itIs Duff's Rebel Restaurant still there?).

Unfortunately Duffs ( Route 50 East ) is long gone..actually next year it will be 20 years since the building was torn down to make way for Sheetz though for us locals it seemed a lot longer than that since the restaurant itself was closed sometime around 1990 even though located within the same building The Cabaret Lounge stayed opened til the end, say a week before demolition.  The other Winchester's Duffs on Route 11 ( Valley Ave. ) is gone as well. Last I heard the building is empty though as recently as last year someone do tried to open up a diner there called "Winchester Diner". Unfortunately I never did check out their food as they didn't last. Victim of bad word of mouth.

Winchester has their own ABC TV station now. Sometimes they do stories on the local restaurant scene.  Not everyday of course but sometimes. Fridays is the best day to check it out as TV3 does the backyard series.

http://www.tv3winchester.com/

MetroplexJim

Re:Weekend in Virginia Tue, 09/17/13 10:07 AM (permalink)
                          Thanks for the update, Cathyftr ...

Back in the day, Duff's seemed to have nearly as many billboards as "Pedro" puts up for South of the Border.  So, one had to stop at least once.  It was a pre-KFC licensee of Col. Sanders and a decent place to eat, even though one was a little underwhelmed by the actuality after all those billboards!  Back in the '70's we stopped there many times.  Another road fave back then was an Italian sandwich shop in an "A-frame" building.

You live in a beautiful place.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                            Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 133 of 133

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com