Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Corn on pizza?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 33
senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
Corn on pizza? Tue, 03/1/11 8:04 AM (permalink)
What is your opinion of corn on pizza? In Asia, it is somewhat common, and I rather like it. But a lot of foreigners frown on it and wont eat it like that. But I am probably in the minority.

I am all for putting whatever one wants on a pizza.

Michael Stern

Re:Corn on pizza? Tue, 03/1/11 8:25 AM (permalink)
    It's not normal, nor would I guess it is V.P.N. approved. The same goes for blueberries, maybe even more so. But come autumn, such ordinance pales in the face of this delicious harvest pie served at Pizzeria Lauretano.

buffetbuster

Re:Corn on pizza? Tue, 03/1/11 8:32 AM (permalink)
      I would have never thought to put corn on a pizza, but after that photo, I am a believer!

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1059
        Re:Corn on pizza? Tue, 03/1/11 9:04 AM (permalink)
        My first encounter with corn on a pizza was in Loudwater, England at a Pizza Hut. We had ordered some pizza delivered with everything. Much to my amazement, corn. Well, what could I say, after all these folks seem to enjoy black pudding too.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
          Re:Corn on pizza? Tue, 03/1/11 9:58 AM (permalink)
          There is a place in Columbus that was featured on Anthony Bourdain's midwest show (though he did not actually go there) called Clever Crow.  They have a unique cornmeal based sourdough crust and they offer a couple of pizzas with corn as a topping.  The one I tried had pureed butternut squash as the sauce, corn, sliced potatoes, and sausage.  It was very good though the squash made it just a little too sweet for my taste.  The menu will change in the spring and summer and they will probably have another combination using corn.  They now have a stand in the North Market for anyone who is interested.  A couple of slices and then across the room to Jeni's for a very memorable meal. 

buffetbuster

Re:Corn on pizza? Tue, 03/1/11 10:05 AM (permalink)
            hatteras04

A couple of slices and then across the room to Jeni's for a very memorable meal. 
            I now know what I am doing the next time in Columbus.  Thanks for the tip!

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
              Re:Corn on pizza? Tue, 03/1/11 1:46 PM (permalink)
              I wouldn't order it but the idea doesn't make me nauseated like putting anything sweet (e.g. pineapple) on pizza.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3668
                Re:Corn on pizza? Tue, 03/1/11 2:23 PM (permalink)
                I am advenuresome when it comes to food but I would not bother ordering any pizza that  had corn on it. 

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                  Re:Corn on pizza? Fri, 03/4/11 9:27 PM (permalink)
                  I make a Pizza w/ corn tortillas. Hmm, maybe it's a Nacho? Oh well.

One of my Grandsons likes corn on everything. I just heat up a bowl of canned corn so he can add it to whatever. He even puts in into my homemade Texas Chili. :~( )))

Hey, it's not bad in chili.
                  Joe

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                    Re:Corn on pizza? Sat, 03/5/11 11:40 PM (permalink)
                    Gross. I hate corn unless it's on the cob in the summer, or polenta. HATE corn in chili. HATE!!! 

jackd418

• Total Posts: 49
                      Re:Corn on pizza? Sun, 03/6/11 2:44 AM (permalink)
                      That pizza looks fantastic.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                        Re:Corn on pizza? Sun, 03/6/11 8:49 AM (permalink)
                        That looks grest. V.P.N. approved or not,in Italy, Italians put anything on a pizza. Pizza Capricosa is a pizza with the works, which varies greatly from location to location. Had a soft poached egg once that sat in the middle of the pie!!!

Heartburn

Re:Corn on pizza? Sun, 03/6/11 11:12 AM (permalink)
                          When we were in Norway, we ordered hamburgers at a stand and in addiution to lettuce ect , canned corn was also included.

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                            Re:Corn on pizza? Mon, 03/21/11 8:21 AM (permalink)
                            There are some things that just don't belong on a pizza.  Corn is one, chicken is another.

leethebard

Re:Corn on pizza? Mon, 03/21/11 8:38 AM (permalink)
                              mjambro

There are some things that just don't belong on a pizza.  Corn is one, chicken is another.

Not true...not true...as any Italian knows.......in Italy a pizza can be purchased with almost any topping...eggs, potatoes,fish, chicken, any vegetable, etc., etc. Be creative and enjoy, but on a pizza, never say "it just doesn't belong."

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1912
                                Re:Corn on pizza? Thu, 07/18/13 10:18 AM (permalink)
                                BT

I wouldn't order it but the idea doesn't make me nauseated like putting anything sweet (e.g. pineapple) on pizza.

I would have agreed........I don't like that concoction with pineapple and Spam (tm). A few days ago a co-diner gave me a slice of her lobster pizza. It had corn and FIG JAM (huh????). It was delicious. Get it at Red Rock in Swampscott Mass. They have average takeout Road Food (they call it beachfood) out front, and very good meals (with an air conditioned water view) inside. There are better fried clams on the north shore, but theirs are very good, and the same in or out. 
                                <message edited by tmiles on Thu, 07/18/13 10:19 AM>

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1792
                                  Re:Corn on pizza? Thu, 07/18/13 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                  Some years ago while backpacking/island hopping SE Asia it was interesting to see how every culture puts it's own spin on pizza.  Baby corn was a very common vegetable option in the Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong.  Kernal corn in Japan.  I tried it more than a couple times, not bad.  Prefer the fresh cut kernal corn though.  Most baby corn is fairly flavorless out of a can.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                                    Re:Corn on pizza? Thu, 07/18/13 6:18 PM (permalink)
                                    I love to put Bay Corn on Pizza...Russ

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Corn on pizza? Thu, 07/18/13 6:19 PM (permalink)
                                      Just wondering how someone managed to find the time to dig up this relic?

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Corn on pizza? Thu, 07/18/13 6:21 PM (permalink)
                                        Russ Jackson

Now where is NYNM and PapaJoe8, We have Russ back now we need the others to join in on this bay corn revelation.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
                                          Re:Corn on pizza? Thu, 07/18/13 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                          There's a local company in SF that used to make white pizzas with corn, grilled onions, and smoked mozzarella.  They sold them in refrigerated cases at nice grocery stores.  Very different, but I liked them.  Maybe the trick is to think of it as something other than pizza. Their Web site provides a recipe for them:

http://www.vicolopizza.co...led-corn-pizza-recipe/

leethebard

Re:Corn on pizza? Thu, 07/18/13 10:01 PM (permalink)
                                            In Italy the "Home" of pizza, anything goes...Italians love all kinds of toppings, eggs, whatever. People who tell us here what is a "real" pizza would do well to look how the pie is made, not the toppings. Proper dough,cheese and sauce and oven make a "real" pizza, not corn or any other topping...if we think a topping is terrible, don't order it. I wonder how many people complaining about kernels of corn hand over money to Pizza hut and the like!!!!!!In Italy, it was fun to order a pizza capricosa, the house specialty...you never were quite sure what you'd get.Again Italians would embrace all toppings...but really gripe about Papa John!!!!!!
                                            <message edited by leethebard on Thu, 07/18/13 10:04 PM>

TWog

• Total Posts: 22
                                              Re:Corn on pizza? Fri, 07/19/13 1:44 AM (permalink)
                                              This recipe from Southern Living is for a corn and tomato pizza. I have done this, and it is delicious!

myrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-and-corn-pizza-10000001997592
                                              <message edited by TWog on Fri, 07/19/13 1:47 AM>

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3708
                                                Re:Corn on pizza? Fri, 07/19/13 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                                Corn on pizza?

Why not; I thought pineapple on pizza was "nuts" until I tried it!  Now, "Hawaiian" is my favorite 'specialty' pie.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                                  Re:Corn on pizza? Wed, 07/24/13 2:03 AM (permalink)
                                                  the only "corn" I use for pizza is the corn meal on the pizza-peel so I can easily transfer my pizza to the piping hot pizza stone in the oven.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                                                    Re:Corn on pizza? Fri, 08/2/13 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                                    Corn ain't nothin' but a thang after I witnessed this pizza...with my own eyes.

Canadian bacon...pineapple...coconut...sliced almonds & mandarin oranges.
                                                    <message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 08/2/13 11:51 PM>

jcheese

• Total Posts: 741
                                                      Re:Corn on pizza? Fri, 08/2/13 6:54 PM (permalink)
                                                      Since the first time I had pineapple on a pizza I find it hard to eat it w/o it. I like the contrasting sweet and salty flavors.  I think I'll try corn cut right off the cob.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                                        • Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                        Re:Corn on pizza? Fri, 08/2/13 7:02 PM (permalink)
                                                        CajunKing

Russ Jackson

Now where is NYNM and PapaJoe8, We have Russ back now we need the others to join in on this bay corn revelation.
                                                        I am normally satisfied with a pizza pie with sauce and cheese.  If I want something on it it will be either mushrooms or onions or green peppers or a good Italian sausage or anchovies and basil oregano garlic and olive oil. 

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Fri, 08/2/13 7:07 PM>

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                                          • Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                          Re:Corn on pizza? Fri, 08/2/13 7:06 PM (permalink)
                                                          leethebard

In Italy the "Home" of pizza, anything goes...Italians love all kinds of toppings, eggs, whatever. People who tell us here what is a "real" pizza would do well to look how the pie is made, not the toppings. Proper dough,cheese and sauce and oven make a "real" pizza, not corn or any other topping...if we think a topping is terrible, don't order it. I wonder how many people complaining about kernels of corn hand over money to Pizza hut and the like!!!!!!In Italy, it was fun to order a pizza capricosa, the house specialty...you never were quite sure what you'd get.Again Italians would embrace all toppings...but really gripe about Papa John!!!!!!

Oh so true...

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
                                                            • Location: SFBay Area, CA
                                                            Re:Corn on pizza? Wed, 08/28/13 9:28 PM (permalink)
                                                            CCinNJ

Corn ain't nothin' but a thang after I witnessed this pizza...with my own eyes.

Canadian bacon...pineapple...coconut...sliced almonds & mandarin oranges.

Umm.. I'm a little slow on the uptake on this.  My bad.

Coconut???  Seriously?  Almonds and mandarin oranges???  Did you eat this?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 33

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com