The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011

mamaduck43

• Total Posts: 184
Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Tue, 03/8/11 4:49 PM (permalink)
Stumbled across this today - - 7 pages of listings....  Enjoy....

http://calendar.triblive.com/search?new=n&sort=1&srad=50&st=event&swhat=fishfry11&swhen=&swhere=&srss=20

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
    Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Tue, 03/8/11 5:03 PM (permalink)
    Best Church Fish Fry in my opinion is Holy Angels Catholic Church in Pittsburgh. They serve a mammoth fish sandwich that they prepare in condensed milk and panko bread crumbs. I will be there tomorrow. Let the Lenten Fish Fries begin!

mamaduck43

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Tue, 03/8/11 5:35 PM (permalink)
      I have been away from the 'Burgh for years, but still carry fond memories of Lenten Friday Fish Fries...  I think I might find some similar festivities here in Wisconsin....  There are great restaurant FF's here now, but I will be looking for some 'church' ones...

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9584
        Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Wed, 03/9/11 1:23 PM (permalink)
        Being from Western PA, I do miss the Fish Fries. Years ago, on the bottom of the front page of my home town newspaper, there would be small ads for every Fish Fry in town. Every Catholic Church, the Moose, Elks & Eagles Clubs and the American Legion Hall plus others. I miss Small Town Anericana! By the way, St. Marys, Pa is about 98% Catholic!

jm199

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Wed, 03/9/11 5:01 PM (permalink)
          I am as happy as a fat boy in a cake shop! I went to Holy Angels today (Ash Wednesday) for the first of their Lenten fish fries. Their incredible fish sandwiches are delicious and are a bargain at $7 apiece. If you want a meal with french fries and cole slaw, it costs an additional $1 for a total of $8.

They open the doors at 11am, and I was there at 115pm. By that time, they had already served 900 meals (including takeout).  They hoped to serve 1900 to 2100 meals for the entire day. Afterwords, I left the church hall and went upstairs to the church for ashes.  I shall return on Friday for another great fish sandwich.

Ralph Melton

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Tue, 03/15/11 5:31 PM (permalink)
            On Friday, I followed up jm199's recommendation to try Holy Angels.

Like most fish fries, it takes place in a large church social hall. This was unusual in that they had table service; I think they have more volunteers than usual.
            Untitled by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

The sandwich itself is a mighty beast with four filets, probably totaling a pound of fish. Lori and I were prepared for this; we ordered an extra bun, and both got full. Massive fish sandwiches like this are pretty common in Pittsburgh; I know several places that sell a one-pound fish sandwich. There's probably some place that serves an even larger batter-fried leviathan, but I don't know where to find one.
            The taste was mild, with an agreeable crunch for the cooking. This was definitely a notch above most fish sandwiches.
            The fries, though, were bland and uninteresting; for sides, I prefer the haluski and pasta fagiole at Madonna del Castello.
            Fish Sandwich at Holy Angels by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

Also, a video from WTAE about Holy Angels' fish fry: http://www.wtae.com/r-video/27139720/detail.html

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
              Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Wed, 03/16/11 9:50 AM (permalink)
              That's a good-looking sandwich!

mamaduck43

I have been away from the 'Burgh for years, but still carry fond memories of Lenten Friday Fish Fries...  I think I might find some similar festivities here in Wisconsin....  There are great restaurant FF's here now, but I will be looking for some 'church' ones...

Check out your local VFW post, too.

Brad

mamaduck43

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Wed, 03/16/11 10:26 AM (permalink)
                Thanks, Brad - - I shall do that... 

jm199

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Wed, 02/13/13 6:39 PM (permalink)
                  The 2013 Church Fish Fries have begun! I went back to Holy Angels in Hays Pa today and was happy to see that the price for one of their HUGE fish sandwiches is still only $7.00. They taste the same and the workers told me they expect to fry over 2000 pounds of fish TODAY!!!
                  As a side note, they have changed their french fries to those thin "matchstick" fries. I didn't order them, but others said that they were hot and crisp.

Ralph Melton

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Thu, 02/14/13 2:51 PM (permalink)
                    In January, Lori and I stopped at Emil's in Rankin and had a really glorious fish sandwich:

Fish Sandwich from Emil's by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

It's hard for me to articulate what made it so good, but it was extraordinarily flavorful and delicious. I am eager to return during Lent.

jm199

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Fri, 02/15/13 2:58 PM (permalink)
                      Ralph-Glad that you enjoyed the huge fish sandwich at Emil's.
                      Emil catered the repass for my father's funeral 11 years ago, and everyone went back for seconds and thirds. His daughter Kristy runs the place now, and is continuing the traditions of her father.  The good thing about Emil's is that you can order the fish sandwich 365 days a year, as it is always on the menu.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 792
                        Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Fri, 02/15/13 4:57 PM (permalink)
                        Anyone know of any in the Hershey / Harrisburg area? Will be there next week

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 792
                          Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Fri, 02/15/13 6:16 PM (permalink)
                          Or Snyder County?

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3708
                            Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Fri, 02/15/13 6:55 PM (permalink)
                            There is something about Pittsburgh fried fish.  I don't even care for fish, but a fried fish sandwich at Wholey's or the Enon Valley Inn was always a treat.

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
                              Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Fri, 02/15/13 8:14 PM (permalink)
                              I really have to get off my ass and make a chicken version. I love the batter, but not a fish guy.

I've been pushing a lot of Beaver county places since I moved up here, and I'm gonna do it again. Corner Tavern in Beaver Falls, Back Door Tavern in Fallston. From what I'm told, they're as good or better than Armand's, Dorido's, etc.

It's probably easier to say where the bad places are.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                                Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Sat, 02/16/13 12:51 AM (permalink)
                                I was talking to buffetbuster tonight and we agreed that he, Mariton, MH and I all have to meet at Back Door Tavern for fish sandwiches.  They are HUGE, fresh and great!
                                Where is Corner Tavern in Beaver Falls? 
                                St. Cecilia's church in Rochester always has a wonderful fish fry on Fridays during Lent. 

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
                                  Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Fri, 02/22/13 1:39 PM (permalink)
                                  For the Corner Tavern, you go down 18 from the turnpike, then turn right on 251 (Sheetz is on the corner). Go maybe 1/4 mile it's on the right. It's about a 5 minute drive from the turnpike.

That place is cool. You have to stand at the bar since they don't have stools. Their prices are very good too.

lleechef

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Fri, 02/22/13 2:05 PM (permalink)
                                    gostillerz,
                                    Thanks!  We will be there 3 days next week to visit my mother.  Will go to the Corner Tavern, also The Back Door, Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe, Marbulls in New Brighton (for wings), a stop one morning at Oram's and of course Primanti's in the Strip Thursday on our way home.  In the afternoons we head for The Brady's Run Grille for a Smithwick's.  We'll take a cooler and get some fish at Wholey's to bring home.  We never starve in Western PA!

buffetbuster

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Fri, 02/22/13 2:32 PM (permalink)
                                      Lisa, what a great lineup of food you have coming up!

Here is the 2013 map of Pittsburgh Lenten fish fries.

lleechef

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Tue, 02/26/13 9:04 PM (permalink)
                                        Today we made it to Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe, MH had 2 kraut dogs, I had wedding soup.  Tonight we took my mother to Marbull's where we enjoyed their wings and hand-cut french fries.  We made our obligatory stop at Brady's Run Grille for a few pints of Smithwick's in the afternoon. 
                                        Once we got into Beaver County I saw signs everywhere for Friday fish frys from volunteer fire departments, churches, boat clubs, they were everywhere.  Unfortunately we leave Thursday.  But we will get some mighty good fish tomorrow night at The Back Door Tavern in Fallston. 

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                          Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Wed, 02/27/13 7:18 AM (permalink)
                                          You would love Milwaukee, Lisa and Michael-everyone has a fish fry on Friday nights. Some better than others........and we know the others...

lleechef

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Wed, 02/27/13 6:35 PM (permalink)
                                            ann,
                                            What kind of fish?  Here is W. PA it's cod.

ann peeples

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Wed, 02/27/13 7:50 PM (permalink)
                                              Cod, and occasionaly haddock-our favorite......

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                                                Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Wed, 02/27/13 8:08 PM (permalink)
                                                In central new York, they have fish fries every Friday everywhere you can think, restaurants, churches, clubs, even volunteer fire departments. The fish is haddock and is usually hanging over the sides of the plates. Served with fries and cole slaw.

lleechef

Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Wed, 02/27/13 9:56 PM (permalink)
                                                  ann and ynotryme,
                                                  I prefer haddock to cod!  But in these parts I think it's mostly cod which is very good, and served with fries and cole slaw.  In Alaska it was beer-battered halibut.  My all time favorite. 

ann peeples

• Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                    Re:Western Pennsylvania Fish Fries - 2011 Thu, 02/28/13 7:58 AM (permalink)
                                                    Oh my-would love the halibut!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com