EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4129
2011/04/01 01:16:03 (permalink)

EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie

Cornish game hens, I've found, are one of those things that turn out really good on the rotisserie. I had been searching for a thermometer that would work with the rotisserie and my new Maverick ET-75 arrived the other day. This was a wireless one that actually could do a rotating spit. I thought the hens would be an ideal opportunity to try out this new thermometer.

The first thing I decided was to try something new with the way I make my hens. Typically, I will simply salt and pepper them. Then I loosen the skin from the body and rub some truffle oil underneath. This makes for a very fragrant, subtle tasting bird. But I felt like trying something different this time. Since I had purchased some pea sprouts at my local Asian Market the other day, I decided to make them Asian style. It's always fun to experiment!
First I made a rub. I took some Chinese Five Spice powder, some powdered ginger and powdered garlic and put them in the spice grinder along with some Szechwan Peppercorns and some white pepper. Boy, did it smell good when I opened the container after blending it!

After I washed the hens and took off a little of the extra fat, I stuck 4 garlic cloves on the inside for a little extra fragrance.

I rubbed the seasoning on the hens, put them in a container and put them back in the fridge for an hour and a half.

When it was time, I took out the hens and put them on the spit. I knew it was going to be a little difficult to put the probe in such a small bird but I thought I'd give it a try. I slipped it as far as I could into the breast of one of the hens and I was good to go.

I set the temp on the thermometer for 150 degrees. The hens needed to be cooked until they were 165 degrees, but I had a plan in mind. I put the spit on, turned on the rear infrared rotisserie element and set them turning.
In the meantime, I got everything else ready. First, I mixed some honey with some dark soy sauce. This was what I was going to brush then hens with when they reached that 150 degree mark. I then put some white rice on the stove to cook and got my veggie ready. I had purchased pea sprouts, these little shoots that are very popular in Asian cuisine. It's one of my very favorite vegetables. With veggies like this I've had really good luck with a microwave steamer, so I put some water in the bottom of the steamer, squeezed the pea sprouts in the top and pour a healthy dose of ponzu sauce on the top of the sprouts.

It was hard not to look in the grill, but just to keep an eye on the remote that came with the thermometer. When it registered 150 degrees, I opened the lid to the grill. Working quickly (because it was hot of course) I brushed the soy/honey sauce over it. I then reset the alarm on the thermometer to 165 degrees.

I was hoping that by the time the hens reached 165 degrees that the sauce would turn into a nice glaze.

It took another 10 minutes or so after I finished and the hens had indeed turned a nice dark brown color. I took them off, let them rest and got the sides ready.

I was quite pleased with the results. The thermometer seemed accurate-----the breast was nice and juicy at the 165 degree temp. The thigh seemed cooked, with no pink showing.

With the thermometer and it's remote, I was able to keep track of the meat outside while I was inside, upstairs.The skin had glazed nicely, crisp but not burned. With the rice and the pea sprouts, it made a delicious dinner. 

post edited by EdSails - 2011/04/01 01:27:16

20 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10358
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 02:36:51 (permalink)
    You are my hero!
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 05:42:59 (permalink)
    Ed, Those are just beautiful. Great job!!
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2523
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 07:36:54 (permalink)
    EdSails, very nice looking Cornish hens, the close up pictures make the hens look like 4lb chickens. You then get the real size look when they are on your plates. I like your Rotisserie Thermometer idea, it lets you relax and still keep an eye on the food. My son just got a new grill w/Rotisserie, I feel this is a great way to cook a chicken, the breast meat is tender juicy while the skin has a nice seasoned crunch.
      We are also looking into a larger Rotisserie for suckling pigs, Bone in prime rib roasts. I like the idea of roasting potatoes and peppers with the Chicken, pig and roast drippings............Take care......PNWC
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5111
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 09:17:10 (permalink)
    Better than a restaurant could do it! Those birds look amazing!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8669
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 09:17:43 (permalink)
    Superb, Ed!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5216
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 09:56:30 (permalink)
    Very nice, Ed.  I like using my rotisserie but the idea of game hens hadn't occurred to me...thanks!

Brad
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1144
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 10:29:36 (permalink)
    I have been staying away from cornish game hens because I could never get them right, either whole or butterflied. So now I see I am going to be the owner of a new rotisserie. This is one reason I love this site.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 11:59:00 (permalink)
    Excellent!  I love your inventiveness with your rubs and ideas.

I've never tried pea sprouts.  Gonna hafta!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 12:49:34 (permalink)
    PNWC,
    I've actually done standing rib roasts on the size grill before. I had to remove the brills themselves and just placed a drip pan (cookie sheet) right on top of the burners, since only the rear IR burner is used. On some items I will do a foil pack with hickory chips and just put that directly on an end burner to start, shutting off the end burner when the smoking part is over. 
    I do enjoy doing potatoes on the grill. If you saw my coffee and steaks thread, I did a foil package with small red potatoes halved, garlic, olive oil, sea salt, fresh ground pepper and herbes de provence. I've also done them with onions in the pack and other times roasted veggies like turnips and zucchini that way.
    Mar, Mitsuwa Marketplace near you has the pea sprouts. They are amazing and simple to cook. You will love them.
    Thanks to all for the comments! Foodbme, I'm waiting to see what you do with yours now!
    post edited by EdSails - 2011/04/01 14:22:07
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 14:57:26 (permalink)
    EdSails
    Thanks to all for the comments! Foodbme, I'm waiting to see what you do with yours now!

In the past, I've done Cornish Hens, Chickens, Prime Rib, Fresh Hams and Processed Hams but without the aid of our new discovery, the Rotisserie Thermometer. I had to open the lid several times to check temps and would loose heat and smoke. This new Thermometer should make it more better. BTW, if you've never done a fresh ham on a rotisserie, you're in for a treat. By applying smoke, you get the same effect as putting it in a smoker and it makes great sliced or pulled pork!
    Here's my trick for making no fuss, no mess smoke packets. For a fresh ham , I'll make 6-8 packets and add as needed
    WOOD CHIP PACKETS FOR SMOKING MEATS
    When smoking something in my 38 year old Gas Grill that's going in my grave with me, I soak my wood chips for about a 1/2 hour then take wide width, heavy duty aluminum foil and tear off as many sheets as I need for each sheet to hold a large handful of chips. Usually make 3-4 packets for 1 smoking. I double over the foil sheet, place the chips at one end and roll them up, closing one end of the packet and leaving the other end slightly open for the smoke to escape. Place the packets on the bottom grate just above the burner, close the lid and let 'er smoke away. Cleanup is easy. Just remove the packets after they've stopped smoldering and are completely cool and throw away.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 15:30:38 (permalink)
    Sounds good, foodbme. What kind of chips do you use?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 15:49:56 (permalink)
    EdSails

Sounds good, foodbme. What kind of chips do you use?

For Poultry, I use Apple.
    For Beef and Pork, I use Hickory mostly. Sometimes Mesquite
    For Seafood, I use Alderwood or a Cedar plank.
    My Son has a Mfgr's Rep company and he just got a new line of unique woods for smoking meat. I'm gonna try the Beer Butt Chicken Plank this weekend! The plank holds the chicken and smokes the meat at the same time!
    http://www.tailgatingplanks.com/index.htm
    He just sold it to Sam's Club and will be calling on other Big Box Stores soon. WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/04/01 16:01:52
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 16:47:03 (permalink)
    It looks interesting. I was trying to figure out how they could be "reusable". I'll be interested in how it works for you. 
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 17:19:39 (permalink)
    Ed, fantastic pics, prep, and finished product, it couldn't get any better!
    Tom
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 17:26:03 (permalink)
    EdSails

It looks interesting. I was trying to figure out how they could be "reusable". I'll be interested in how it works for you. 

I wondered about that too??? Unless it doesn't come in direct contact with the flame?? The instructions say to soak it for 60-90 minutes so it will be pretty saturated and less likely to burn. Must just Smolder?? It will need to hold its shape to support the chicken.  I only soak wood chips about 15-20 minutes.
     I'll let you know.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1078
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/01 18:52:48 (permalink)
    I love cornish hens, but I REALLY appreciate pea shoots.

Aren't they the best?  I first had some at a Chinese restaurant in London, and fell in love with them. 

They're hard to find around here.  The summertime farmer's market at the University of Minnesota sometimes has them for sale, at the booth run by the kids from the Ag school in St. Paul.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/02 14:03:20 (permalink)
    I never see the pea shoots except at the Asian markets. Fortunately, we have so many around here, it's easy to get. Some places have it in 12 oz. plastic containers, but the place I like to get them from has a big bin full of them. They are a regular item on my table.

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/02 14:21:13 (permalink)
    Ed Sails in the Sunset----weigh out on the cee
    Loved your hens------as they say in Brooklyn---
    "Mamma Mia, dem is some good lookin' chicks."
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2346
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/03 19:32:52 (permalink)
    Those look so good I almost licked the monitor.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2045
    Re:EdSails does Asian Style Cornish Game Hens on the Rotisserie 2011/04/03 20:49:19 (permalink)
    That's some pretty poultry!.... As I sit here thinking about what to make for dinner, but have to go shopping first!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1