The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 102 of 102
cosmo64

• Total Posts: 166
Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Thu, 02/28/13 2:19 PM (permalink)
Since I too am doing all the necessary research on a concession trailer build, I have been reading all of the related threads and taking notes. Does anyone care to post negative/positive results with their type of exhaust fan setups (vertical/horizontal with/without makeup air...etc)?

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Thu, 02/28/13 3:02 PM (permalink)
    To start with you need to keep in mind the overall height of your truck or trailer. And not just for highway use but for city driving as well. Most cities don't trim tree branches that hang out over streets and instead depend on semi trucks to clear low hanging branches. So semi drivers drive in the center lane when possible which means the curb lanes have lots of tree branches that will beat the heck out of your above exhaust fan housing and when it gets dented it loses some of it's designed swirl exhaust ability.
    jack

cosmo64

Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Fri, 03/1/13 8:59 PM (permalink)
      Good points Dr of BBQ.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
        Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Sat, 03/2/13 5:33 AM (permalink)
        Keep in mind what ever system/equipment installed, it will need cleaning to remove buildup of grease from the inside of duct & fan. Slope any duct work to drain into a grease collection can or to the outside.    ... Yes the ducts are very short in a truck ... usually.   So make any access needed easy so cleaning will not be a 'dreaded chore'.

daddywoofdawg

• Total Posts: 299
          Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Sun, 03/3/13 12:57 AM (permalink)
          Someone on here not to long ago built a truck and we talked about where to get the fans like the food trucks used.I forget where he said. but search this forum and you'll find it.

cosmo64

Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Tue, 03/12/13 3:46 PM (permalink)
            Thanks edwmax, ease of upkeep is paramount.

DWags541

• Total Posts: 174
              Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Wed, 05/1/13 7:40 PM (permalink)

This is the system I am using for my exhaust at the back of my rig. The metal fan motor mounts have since been painted, and the fans wired up with their switches at the front of the rig.
              The next step is the custom hood, which is being fabricated locally. These fans (12v) move plenty of air and I imagine I will only need them on low. I'll have a 3' propane griddle next to a propane steam table at the back.

I too was not interested in a vertical exhaust setup. Mostly because the fan systems are all AC power and I wanted 12v power for everything. But also because of the aesthetic of a huge fan on top of a moving truck. I did some research and saw some wall mount exhausts and that gave me the confidence to proceed with this custom job.

cosmo64

Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Thu, 09/26/13 8:03 PM (permalink)
                Are either of the fans adjacent to the cooking area/hood?

fishscale28

• Total Posts: 224
                  Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Thu, 09/26/13 11:32 PM (permalink)
                  I opted to go with fans on the side of the truck vs the top as well.  I originally bought an amazing 14" fan (3 speeds up to 2100 cfm I think) but it was just a little too big so I had to end up going with 3 smaller 10" fans.  Still wish I could have found a way to go with the smaller as it is still more cfm than the three combined but se la vie....

hpx

• Total Posts: 22
                    Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Fri, 09/27/13 1:42 PM (permalink)
                    I have a friend that runs a meatball truck out of Tampa. It is an older self built including his home made side vent exhaust. Right now he is grandfathered in with the hood he has but they are all over him to change out to a roof mount. Their reasoning is that a side mount pushes the grease out while the roof mount pulls it out and is more efficient and there for cleaner and less likely to accumulate grease.

fishscale28

• Total Posts: 224
                      Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Sat, 09/28/13 1:57 AM (permalink)
                      Valid point but not a law, yet  As long as its the right motors and they're cleaned well and often then they're just as good, if not better, than their roof top counterparts.  I would never go the roof mount...just my .02 pesos...

RichardFla

• Total Posts: 9
                        Re:Roof mount exhaust fan vs wall mount on sides of food truck Sun, 12/1/13 12:06 AM (permalink)
                        I am not sure if this thread is still being followed but this is what I have been installing.

Low profile with a 16" total height ,1600 cfm and assembled with easily available parts.
                        I reinforce the curved front to deflect the tree branches.

The problem with roof mounted downdraft is the grease is deposited on the roof long term,side draft would need to be strong enough to "blow" the grease laden air away from the truck.

Well, I put a pic in but because I am new, no post. any other options?

<message edited by RichardFla on Sun, 12/1/13 12:08 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                          Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 102 of 102

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com