The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 639
Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sun, 07/31/11 5:32 PM (permalink)
News is still coming in but Austin Police Dept have cracked a brisket thievery ring in town.

Three restaurants were allegedly participating, the most famous, in Roadfood terms, being Sam's Barbecue on e.12th st.

Sam's became famous in the late 80s when Stevie Ray Vaughan began championing their food in national music magazines.

The old bungalow has been a barbecue house since the 1940s with the Mays family running things since the 70s.

* News on the tragedies that have befallen the Mays family recently

* Picture of a shuttered Sam's

* Multiple accounts of what happened leading up to the dustup

Here: http://www.scrumptiousche...he-East-Side-Of-Austin

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
    Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sun, 07/31/11 5:48 PM (permalink)
    My son who lives in Austin and I were talking about this "caper" this morning. He said the BBQ joint in question wasn't very good anyway. 

http://www.kvue.com/news/...stomers-126362998.html
    <message edited by Twinwillow on Sun, 07/31/11 6:09 PM>

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1928
      Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sun, 07/31/11 6:41 PM (permalink)
      Well, bust my bluebonnets!  I've heard of cutting food cost, but this is ridiculous.

KurtSara

• Total Posts: 181
        Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sun, 07/31/11 8:37 PM (permalink)
        What is HEB?

Twinwillow

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sun, 07/31/11 9:46 PM (permalink)
          HEB is a large Austin based grocery store chain. A very good one too I'll add. H-E-B stands for, "Here Everything's Better.
          They also own the upscale Central Market stores which are aimed at the (and I hate the word) "yuppie foodie" customer.

scrumptiouschef

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Mon, 08/1/11 11:14 AM (permalink)
            Isn't the founder of HEB's name Harry E. Butts?

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1928
              Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Mon, 08/1/11 11:57 AM (permalink)
              Are you sure he had a middle initial?

scrumptiouschef

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Fri, 08/5/11 12:51 PM (permalink)
                Today is the final day that Sam's can reapply with the health department to get their food service license back.

Will report back

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                  Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Fri, 08/5/11 1:40 PM (permalink)
                  The news said the thieves were walking out with the meat hidden on their persons. Now I was born but not yeaterday. How are you gonn stuff a brisket down the front of your jeans. You'd have to go about ten times a day to make it profitable.
                  My son works for HEB and he says its Howard E Butt.

Twinwillow

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Fri, 08/5/11 2:00 PM (permalink)
                    scrumptiouschef

scrumptiouschef

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sat, 08/6/11 6:23 PM (permalink)
                      National media have descended on East Austin to cover the controversy. Latest is USA Today  http://www.scrumptiousche...-Locker?adminview=true

Tony White

• Total Posts: 80
                        Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sun, 08/7/11 3:55 PM (permalink)
                        I find it hard to believe that people shoplifting meat from grocery stores were able
                        to supply 3 large scale BBQ operations. We all know theft is common in supermarkets but they would be on this as soon as 2 or 3 briskets were missing.
                        There are cameras everywhere and all suspicious types are watched as soon as they enter a store.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                          Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sun, 08/7/11 5:14 PM (permalink)
                          I doubt they did supply the entire amount of meat needed to run the operations. I got the impression that the restaurant would buy whenever the shoplifters brought it around. If the restaurant was able to buy a couple of Briskets a week for 1/3 to 1/2 of their normal cost that was quite a bit of extra profit.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                            Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sun, 08/7/11 5:17 PM (permalink)
                            double post

scrumptiouschef

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sun, 08/7/11 11:33 PM (permalink)
                              Carole Barasch of Austin/Travis Health Department was quoted in the daily paper today that Sam's Barbecue has submitted a written request to have their food permit license reinstated.

brisketboy

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Mon, 08/8/11 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                Once again our esteemed city has become a laughing stock. That's why I live in Georgetown. Wonder why the thieves didn't drive a few miles north and sell their ill gotten loot to Rudy's. The bbq couldn't be any worse than it is now.

brisketboy

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Mon, 08/8/11 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                  Once again our esteemed city has become a laughing stock. That's why I live in Georgetown. Wonder why the thieves didn't drive a few miles north and sell their ill gotten loot to Rudy's. The bbq couldn't be any worse than it is now.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                    Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Mon, 08/8/11 10:40 AM (permalink)
                                       Here in Austin, some people are putting cold things in their pants just to keep cool.  When I enter the store, I do the same thing, but return it back before I leave.... If these guys stole HEB's prepared, cooked and sliced brisket and these places served it, that is a capital crime...... Might tenderize it though.

mark

brisketboy

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Mon, 08/8/11 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                      Makes me wonder how you get a ten pound brisket down your trousers. Down' the front, down the back how in gods name did they do it. Guess I'll start watching some guy with a huge ass to see if there's a packer trimmed hunk of beef down there. HAH!

scrumptiouschef

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Mon, 08/8/11 6:39 PM (permalink)

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Tue, 08/9/11 3:45 PM (permalink)
                                          It would be easier than you think to get away with the thefts.

A large empty diaper bag, could hold several briskets

Wearing a baggy over shirt and a tighter expanding shirt, you could fit in 4 to 5 briskets and walk away looking like you just gained some weight.

A larger female and a very loose dress could hide many a things under there.

You hit different stores a couple times a week, and you have big bucks in stolen meat

scrumptiouschef

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Fri, 08/19/11 2:06 PM (permalink)
                                            Sam's has reopened as of two days ago [Tue Aug 16th].

We went by there last night and had some brisket fresh off the pit at midnight.

Pics and a chat with the owner who still has significant legal trouble in front of him here

http://www.scrumptiousche...eopened?adminview=true

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                              Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Fri, 08/19/11 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                              scrumptiouschef

Sam's has reopened as of two days ago [Tue Aug 16th].
                                              We went by there last night and had some brisket fresh off the pit at midnight.
                                              Pics and a chat with the owner who still has significant legal trouble in front of him here
                                              http://www.scrumptiousche...eopened?adminview=true

I visited your web site. You have some nice recipes!
                                              If Terrell Pryor can get into the NFL I guess this guy can re-open his BBQ pit! 

scrumptiouschef

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sat, 08/27/11 12:37 PM (permalink)
                                                Local news outfit KVUE has uncovered video which they in turn shared with Austin Police Dept.
                                                Another alleged brisket thievery op is behind bars now.
                                                http://www.scrumptiousche...et-Case?adminview=true

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                  • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sat, 08/27/11 6:31 PM (permalink)
                                                  I just viewed the video.

HOLY CRUD IT'S 107 degrees in Austin right now!

107 + meat in your pants = all sorts of health issues.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                                    Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Thu, 09/1/11 11:26 AM (permalink)
                                                    scrumptiouschef

No.  H-E-B stands for Howard E. Butt, son of the original store's founder.

Like most Texas billionaires, the Butt family is engaged in a "real" enterprise (as opposed to manipulating other people's money).  http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/54/richlist07_Charles-Butt-family_W4TW.html

I like to think of their Central Market concept as being the "Wegman's of the South".

Jim2903

• Total Posts: 232
                                                      • Location: Hoffman Estates, IL
                                                      Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Thu, 09/1/11 11:36 AM (permalink)
                                                      HEB is a great company. I'm a food industry journalist, and my magazine honored HEB as our Retailer of the Year last fall. Here's the story I helped write: http://www.progressivegrocer.com/inprint/article/id1259/the-heart-of-texas/

scrumptiouschef

Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sun, 04/8/12 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                                        Sam's Barbecue has recovered nicely from the scandal. I've eaten there a couple times in the past month. It looks like Brian Mays, owner, is out of hot water. His attorney managed to get the most serious charges tossed. I believe he has one more court appearance.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                                                          • Location: Emmitsburg, Md.
                                                          Re:Barbecue Brisket Thievery Ring Busted in Austin Sun, 04/8/12 12:04 PM (permalink)
                                                          scrumptiouschef

Is he from Boston?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com