The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36
Stephen Rushmore Jr.

iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 10:30 AM (permalink)
I made some great progress of a streamlined version of Roadfood.com that enables you to search restaurant reviews based on your location, a specific town, and keyword.  It is completely optimized for mobile devices.

It needs to be tested and several devices, so I would appreciate your comments/bugs in this thread.  In particular, please click on the "Nearby" link and let me know if it shows you the restaurants within 50 miles of where you are located.

Here is the URL - for now, it is available to everyone
 http://www.roadfood.com/Insider/Mobile/

Michael Stern

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 10:47 AM (permalink)
    OMG, this is fantastic!

MiamiDon

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 11:17 AM (permalink)
      This doesn't seem to be quite working right for me.  I am using an iPhone 3GS and the latest version of Safari.  Using the Nearby feature, it shows Bob's New River Groves, but not the approximately five other restaurants within 50 miles that are in the "official" reviews on Roadfood.com.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 11:20 AM (permalink)
        MiamiDon, does the shown distance for Bob's New River Groves look about the same on both sites?

Tony Bad

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 11:51 AM (permalink)
          Stephen, looking at it on Android device and it looks good. Both searching by town and using "nearby" function yield same results.

I do, however, note that the first 8 results that pop up on desktop site when doing a search by town don't turn up on the mobile site results.

Hope that makes sense.

Tony Bad

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 11:53 AM (permalink)

Just to add...on roadfood.com site the first place that is listed shows up as 25 miles away, on mobile site 26.4 miles

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 11:59 AM (permalink)
              Let me add - The mobile app only shows places that the Roadfood team has visited.  So some user reviews will not appear.

The proximity will always vary between the site and mobile app, because the mobile app is using either GPS or cell phone towers to map your location.  It should be more accurate than the desktop version.

MiamiDon

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 12:12 PM (permalink)
                When you say "both sites," do you mean as the second one, this site?  This site won't accept the town I am in, nor nearby neighbors, on the home page using the "Search Local Eats" function.  I'm actually about 18 miles from the city of Miami downtown area, about half-way to Homestead.

Using the Mobile version setting "Miami, FL" as the location, the result is expanded so I can't read the right end of the answer, but the first digit is "1" I think.  The regular web site says it's 8 miles (which is wrong, btw - maybe it uses "Miami-Dade County?"

MiamiDon

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 12:13 PM (permalink)
                  Ah, OK.  The pro vs user thing might be it.

MiamiDon

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 12:23 PM (permalink)
                    It seems that Tony Bad is not on the Roadfood Team.  

I set the mobile version to Palm Beach, and it didn't return his review of Havana in West Palm Beach.

BTW, I found that if I rotate the phone I can scroll right to read the distances.

AHR

• Total Posts: 26
                      Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 1:04 PM (permalink)
                      Does "Here is the URL - for now, it is available to everyone" mean that non-Insider subscribers may use it during the test period?  Some friends of mine attempted to do so and were told that it was for subscribers only.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 1:18 PM (permalink)
                        AHR

Does "Here is the URL - for now, it is available to everyone" mean that non-Insider subscribers may use it during the test period?  Some friends of mine attempted to do so and were told that it was for subscribers only.

Thanks for checking - I just tweaked the config so it is open to everyone.

BTW, I am going to making regular updates throughout the week, and eventually it will require a login so people can rate restaurants, etc.

Foodosaurus

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 2:22 PM (permalink)
                          This is great!  I'm a huge fan.

Just checked it from work.  Going to Bidwell's Tavern tonight for the first time in almost 9 years.  Thanks!!

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 4:51 PM (permalink)
                            I just posted another major update to the mobile site.  It is much cleaner, and now includes photos, scorecard and a much more helpful overview.  Enjoy!

ChiTownDiner

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 4:53 PM (permalink)
                              Stephen -

Just tried on my Droid 2 and it worked like a charm!

Keep it coming...

Gregg

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2932
                                Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                Any possibility of making it into an app?

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 6:15 PM (permalink)
                                  Mosca

Any possibility of making it into an app?

I am not sure what you mean.  It is an "app" - You can put a link right on your mobile phone home page and it will work like all your other programs.

pogo74

• Total Posts: 2
                                    Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 7:18 PM (permalink)
                                    Thank You, This is great!  I did it for the Oklahoma City Area and it appears that the distances were correct for the RoadFood Finds around the area.  easy to access and easy to read.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                      Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Mon, 08/1/11 7:50 PM (permalink)
                                      Tested and works perfectly on an iPhone 3.

Mosca,

On the iPhone, even though Roadfood.com goes through the browser app Safari, the interface looks exactly like a cleaned up independent app, not a browser window. To make it appear as a standalone app you simply select "Save to Home Screen" and it puts a custom icon on your screen that you can click on and go directly to the Roadfood site without the rest of the trappings of the Safari browser. It is quite slick. No you cannot go to the iTunes App Store and download it as an app. It's as appy as a happy Roadfooder could want.
                                      <message edited by Davydd on Mon, 08/1/11 7:56 PM>

MiamiDon

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Tue, 08/2/11 8:48 AM (permalink)
                                        Thanks for the tip, Davydd. 

HDtravlr1

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Tue, 08/2/11 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                          Thanks so much for doing this!
                                          I will check it out

Johnny McClanahan

pogo74

• Total Posts: 2
                                            Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Tue, 08/2/11 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                            I'm sorry I forgot to tell you I tested it on the IPhone 4.

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                                              Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Tue, 08/2/11 5:16 PM (permalink)
                                              Stephen, really nice.  Thanks.
                                              I tried it on my Android 2.2 AT&T HTC Inspire (also known as the HTC Desire).  It works fine in the default Android browser and in Skyfire.  The mobile page did not display properly in Opera Mini and Opera Mini did not support geo-location, so "find nearby restaurants" would not work.  (Not sure if this also applies to Opera Mobile.) 
                                              FYI: I'm glad you made it a mobile site instead of an app.  I know that's less work at your end but I also find it more convenient to navigate within my browser and not have my phone (and it's memory) all cluttered up with stand-alone apps.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                                                Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Tue, 08/2/11 5:45 PM (permalink)
                                                I'm on a wireless mininote, when I click on the above link, I get
                                                *find nearby restaurant
                                                *find nearby town
                                                *keyword search

Click on nearby restaurant, I get a page with a Roadfood header and a pop up asking to 'share location'   ... Now I presume the page is built to share GPS data which is not on my system, so can there be a spot to enter 'zip code'  or town & state?

The only part that seems to work is the 'keyword search' selecting 'Georgia'; I get ALL listings in Georgia.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Tue, 08/2/11 6:56 PM (permalink)
                                                  Edwmax, the nearby works even without GPS.  It will sense where your internet is coming from an use those coordinates.

Also, you can do a "Find Nearby Town," which enables you to enter an address, city and/or state.

AHR

• Total Posts: 26
                                                    Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Tue, 08/2/11 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                                    My non-Insider friend reports that she is now able to access the page, but that she gets an error indicating that geolocation services are not supported by her browser.  The device is a Blackberry 9700 Bold.  Use this data point as you will.

PurpleCheetah

• Total Posts: 151
                                                      • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                      Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Wed, 08/3/11 8:28 PM (permalink)
                                                      I'm having a problem getting it to download on my android....Have tired several times unsuccessfully

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Wed, 08/3/11 8:53 PM (permalink)
                                                        PurpleCheetah

I'm having a problem getting it to download on my android....Have tired several times unsuccessfully

I don't have an Android phone, but you shouldn't need to download anything.  What happens when you go to the URL?

Tony Bad

Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Wed, 08/3/11 9:00 PM (permalink)
                                                          I am using an Android phone and it loads just like any other web page. 

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                                                            • Location: Berwyn, PA
                                                            Re:iPhone, Android, Blackberry, iPad version of Roadfood Sat, 08/6/11 3:13 AM (permalink)
                                                            edwmax

Click on nearby restaurant, I get a page with a Roadfood header and a pop up asking to 'share location'   ... Now I presume the page is built to share GPS data which is not on my system, so can there be a spot to enter 'zip code'  or town & state?

It sounds like your system or your web browser is set NOT to allow websites to know your location.  Only apps specifically designed to use GPS use GPS (like map or navigation apps).  Most apps or websites get your location based on the mobile phone towers your device is accessing.  If you want to use the geolocation feature on this website (or any other), next time the browser asks to share location, say "yes."   Or, in the Android (WebKit) browser, to to Menu > More > Settings and scroll down to Enable Location and make sure it is checked.  Then come back up and touch Clear Location Access and select OK (just in case you've said "no" to location access on any sites before).

Also, on Android phones go to Settings > Location.  Make sure use wireless networks and use GPS satellites are checked.  When GPS is active, you see a little satellite dish icon at the top of your screen. 

If anybody is having a problem and using an alternative browser (other than the system browser that came pre-installed with the device), it's important to let Stephen know that.  For example, Opera has a problem with Geo Location because it routes web traffic through its own servers and compresses web pages for faster loading.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com