Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

KC Barbeque

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46
sandman9913

• Total Posts: 1
KC Barbeque Wed, 08/10/11 10:50 PM (permalink)
It's about time you all come back down this old beaten path. So, I've been to a few of the different barbeque joints here in my hometown of KCK and of our neighbor KCMO. But which one is the best? For me it's Oklahoma Joe's for sure. Gate's has good sauce but doesn't cut it for me, Arthur Bryant's isn't all its cracked up to be, and Fiorella's Jack Stack isn't as good as it used to be for me due to it's atmosphere and all the times I've been there just horrid service. So, any recommendations for good BBQ out here in KC?

webean

• Total Posts: 42
    Re:KC Barbeque Thu, 08/11/11 7:25 AM (permalink)
    Oklahoma Joe's is one of my favorites....tho it can get very crowded at noon. Also like Woodyard and LC's

Sfreader

• Total Posts: 503
      Re:KC Barbeque Thu, 08/11/11 10:10 AM (permalink)
      The ones you mentioned are fine, though I don't like the long waits at OKJ. They have become too popular.

For a real BBQ fan my first choices would be LC's BBQ and Danny Edward's Boulevard BBQ. If they wanted to try more places, I would throw in Mr. Epp's KC Barbeque, Quick's Bar-B-Q, and Brobecks Barbeque, but there are probably 10 more that are worth trying out.
      <message edited by Sfreader on Fri, 08/12/11 9:59 AM>

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
        Re:KC Barbeque Thu, 08/11/11 11:06 AM (permalink)
        the pecan smoked salmon at Woodyard on Fridays was great last time I visited.

kennyb

• Total Posts: 374
          Re:KC Barbeque Thu, 08/11/11 1:29 PM (permalink)
          i wish people knew more than the big 4 mentioned. there are dozens of small joints around that are much better and a much better atmosphere.

webean

Re:KC Barbeque Thu, 08/11/11 4:46 PM (permalink)
            A few names please

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
              Re:KC Barbeque Thu, 08/11/11 5:14 PM (permalink)
              a few: 
              danny edwards
              smokin' guns
              rj's bob-o-q
              haywards
              rosedale
              quick's
              woodyard
              bates city bbq
              williamsburg
              etc....
              there are probably 100+ places in the greater KC area
              keith might list them

webean

Re:KC Barbeque Fri, 08/12/11 10:42 AM (permalink)
                Thanks, 1bbqboy

Bill B.

• Total Posts: 322
                  Re:KC Barbeque Fri, 08/12/11 11:46 AM (permalink)
                  I was in KC on Wednesday and stopped for a slab of ribs at the OJ on 47th St. At 4:30 p.m., there were only three people ahead of me in line, so that was a reasonable time to try it. When I drove by there again later on, at about 7:10, the line came out the door and down the front of the building.

Sfreader

Re:KC Barbeque Fri, 08/12/11 5:51 PM (permalink)
                    I only go to OJ when I can avoid regular meal hours. Even 11:15AM, the line can be the length of the place in Olathe.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9566
                      Re:KC Barbeque Fri, 08/12/11 7:40 PM (permalink)
                      sandman9913

my hometown of KCK and of our neighbor KCMO. So, any recommendations for good BBQ out here in KC?

It's your hometown----You should have a pretty good idea where to get good BBq I would think.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                        Re:KC Barbeque Mon, 08/15/11 8:58 PM (permalink)
                        My wife worked in KC for many years and said Rosedale Barbecue was by far her favorite. She took me once and the food and cheap price were amazing. Wish they shipped their sauce!!!!

mcguirejohnr

• Total Posts: 111
                          Re:KC Barbeque Thu, 08/25/11 5:39 PM (permalink)
                          Take a short drive to Williamsburg, Ks and hit Guy and Maes Tavern.  Not really what I would call KC style but good fall off the bone style ribs.

HDtravlr1

Re:KC Barbeque Thu, 08/25/11 8:52 PM (permalink)
                            I can't mention much that has not already been recommended except
                            Snead's Bar-B-Q in Belton, MO for the Ham and Beef Brownies. Not sure if they still have the log sandwich or not. Learned about the Log Sandwich from the Stern's review years ago.

Johnny McClanahan

HDtravlr1

Re:KC Barbeque Thu, 08/25/11 9:00 PM (permalink)
                              My cousin always liked Smoke House BBQ in Gladstone, MO. I preferred the others mentioned.

Sfreader

Re:KC Barbeque Fri, 08/26/11 9:10 AM (permalink)
                                Reports are that the new owners of Snead's have made it good again after the years of deline. I haven't been there lately, but their business has increased.

HDtravlr1

Re:KC Barbeque Fri, 08/26/11 9:18 AM (permalink)
                                  Sfreader
                                  Don't know when the new owner took over Snead's. I went last fall and it was good.

Sfreader

Re:KC Barbeque Fri, 08/26/11 10:55 AM (permalink)
                                    It has been a couple of years.

It was purchased by a big fireworks dealer, but he died shortlly after the purchase and I think it is operated by his daughter.

HDtravlr1

Re:KC Barbeque Fri, 08/26/11 1:41 PM (permalink)
                                      Fireworks and BBQ-Two smoking businesses!

jackd418

• Total Posts: 49
                                        Re:KC Barbeque Fri, 08/26/11 1:57 PM (permalink)
                                        BBQ ribs that fall off the bone means they were boiled first.Real ribs have some chew to them.Although I like both.

mcguirejohnr

Re:KC Barbeque Tue, 09/6/11 10:41 PM (permalink)
                                          You are correct about the fall off the bones.  I'm not normally a fan of this style but somehow Guy and Maes' appeal to me.  My favorite KC pork ribs are still Gates which are the real "KC style" (and in compliance with KCBS judging).  Beef rib, sausage and chicken honors go to Jack's Stack.  When a desire for beef brisket and turkey hits I go to Bryant's (and I am a fan of the unusual sauce).  Pulled pork...OK Joes.  Burnt ends...RJ's Bob-Be-Que.  A cool place to sit outside and eat BBQ on a nice day is Woodyard BBQ.  Ham always seems to be mediocre no matter where I go so I typically pass on it.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4077
                                            Re:KC Barbeque Tue, 09/6/11 10:49 PM (permalink)
                                            john mac,

You gotta get over to LC's for burnt ends.  I'm also a fan of RJ's, but LC's is the burnt end knock-out punch as far as I'm concerned.

Got any plans for The American Royal BBQ?

Buddy

mcguirejohnr

Re:KC Barbeque Thu, 09/8/11 9:35 PM (permalink)
                                              I go pretty much every year for the big Friday parties.  I have a buddy that competes and usually does pretty well...#1 for brisket in 2008!

LCs does rock...I always forget about them.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:KC Barbeque Fri, 09/9/11 1:28 AM (permalink)
                                                Be sure to stop by at the Diddy-Wa-Diddy Barbecue Sauce Store in the Governor's Building.  I'll be there selling Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauces (along with hundreds of other sauces, all donated by the manufacturers), raising money for local charities.  Longtime Roadfood poster CNW will also be there exhibiting his 'Que IQ and helping the throngs to choose just the right sauce.

We'll be there from roughly noon to 10pm on Friday, and noon to 5pm on Saturday.  Stop on by and introduce yourself.

Buddy

P.S. Congrats to your brisket smokin' pal on his '08 win.  Hope he does well this year.  Do you know his team's name?

B.

mcguirejohnr

Re:KC Barbeque Fri, 09/9/11 11:46 AM (permalink)
                                                  "Where's The Smoke"... a group of guys that do it as a hobby only...not professionals.

HOP

• Total Posts: 18
                                                    Re:KC Barbeque Sun, 02/12/12 8:25 PM (permalink)
                                                    There are many great barbeque joints in the metro Kansas City area. There are some that do certain items on the menu better than others. Here are some of my favorites:

BB's Lawnside BBQ.......best fries ever. Batter-dipped and deep fried......wonderful. Great brisket, turkey, sausage.

Smokin' Guns BBQ........great brisket and turkey sandwiches. Great burnt ends. Really good sauce.

LC's BBQ........Gates and Bryant's get all the hype but LC's may be better than both. Huge sandwiches.......turkey or brisket are my favorites. Great fries. Great burnt ends. Great sauce.  Their beans may be the best in Kansas City.

Smokestack BBQ.......I believe the last one closed recently but you can still get their great sauce in grocery stores around the Metro. Probably my favorite sauce.

Smokehouse BBQ......best BBQ beans you will find.......sweet & meaty. Very good brisket, turkey, sausage, and burnt ends. Very good sauce. Their chopped burnt end sandwich, the Super Crispy, is my favorite.

Smokin' Joes BBQ......great brisket sandwich. Very good fries. Very good beans. Very good sauce. Very underrated.

<message edited by HOP on Sat, 04/14/12 2:50 PM>

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                                      • Location: Port St Lucie, Fl
                                                      Re:KC Barbeque Mon, 02/13/12 7:50 PM (permalink)
                                                      Diners, dives etc just aired an episode of BBQ in KC. Don't know when it was filmed. Smokin Guns was one of the places and the brisket looked very good. I can't for the life of me remember the other places they reviewed but they all looked good.

mcguirejohnr

• Location: Overland Park, KS
                                                        Re:KC Barbeque Wed, 02/15/12 5:22 PM (permalink)
                                                        One that I don't think has been mentioned is Big T's.  It is just a few blocks East of LCs and has really good burnt ends and awesome beef ribs on the weekends.

HOP

• Total Posts: 18
                                                          • Location: CAMERON, MO
                                                          Re:KC Barbeque Wed, 02/22/12 8:28 PM (permalink)
                                                          I took the afternoon off today and went to LC's Bar-B-Q. Amazingly the place was dead at 11:45A.M. when I got there. You definitely don't go to LC's for the decor........it's all about the food and I wasn't disappointed.

The wonderful smell of smoked meats greeted me in the parking lot and once inside I ordered a turkey sandwich( which comes with fries ) and their baked beans. This was by far the best turkey sandwich I've ever eaten at a barbeque joint..........the meat was tender, juicy, and smokey with a hint of bark. This sandwich was massive but I forced myself to finish it. The "regular" sauce at LC's was slightly sweet and tangy. A perfect complement for the meat. The fries were fresh cut potatoes fried the old fashioned way in lard. They were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside without being greasy or too salty. The baked beans have replaced the ones from Smokehouse BBQ as my favorite. They were dark and smokey with plenty of chunks of burnt ends and a very strong molasses flavor.  I haven't enjoyed a trip to a barbeque joint like this in a while.

Arthur Bryant's and Gates receive much of the mention and praise when it comes to Kansas City barbeque. And rightly so. But, LC's is just as good if not better. I can't wait to go back again sometime.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Joined: 12/10/2004
                                                            • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                            Re:KC Barbeque Thu, 02/23/12 2:16 AM (permalink)
                                                            Cameron, MO?  Dang dude, you came a long way for a turkey sandwich.  You must be serious about your 'Que!  Glad you enjoyed LC's.  Whenever we're in town we always try to hit someplace we haven't been before, or haven't visited in a while.  But LC's is one place we go back to on a more or else consistent basis.  Love the Burnt Ends, and as you say, their fries and beans are top notch!

There used to be a BBQ joint right in Cameron quite a few years back (like more than 20 years ago).  We visited once on our way out of town, but never went back.  I don't expect they're even in business anymore.  We've enjoyed a few 'Que joints in St. Jo over the years, but they just don't seem to stick around very long.

Any other places you'd recommend up north there?  Mrs. Roadhouse is originally from St. Jo and still has family up there.  We're always hard pressed to find good eats when we visit, so any ideas will be helpful.

Buddy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com