The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Any place to get Pennsylvania cold "pitza" closer to New Jersey border?

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 184
Any place to get Pennsylvania cold "pitza" closer to New Jersey border? Wed, 08/24/11 3:27 PM (permalink)
I know there's some thread(s) on here in relation to Senape's Bakery and others like Longo's.

I loooooooove Senape's Pitza. For me, though, it's a 4 hour drive one way. I make the trip out there every few years, but the fact is I'd eat it every month or two if I could get it easier.

Is there any place closer to the New Jersey border I might be able to find some of this magical food? I usually place an order for 10 or 20 boxes at a time, because some of the family likes it too.

I emailed Longo's to see if they'll deliver. I prefer Senape's, but I'll take what I can get. I'm going to call Senape's and see if I can arrange for them to deliver me 10 boxes.. maybe I can have UPS make a pickup and pay tip the bakery for packaging them for me.

Heck, if neither of those works I don't know anyone who lives there, so in order to get someone who might be trustworthy I'm thinking of calling a local business like the Florist and asking if they'd do the work for me. I mean the florist makes deliveries to begin with, right? So, I'll pay them for a delivery (in this case a pickup at Senape's and drop off at UPS), a box, and tip them for doing the packing.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
    Re:Any place to get Pennsylvania cold "pitza" closer to New Jersey border? Wed, 08/24/11 3:32 PM (permalink)
    I don't know if it's much closer to Edison, but at the Allentown Farmers Market there is a booth selling Hazelton specialties, including Senape's.  I believe the are open Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Any place to get Pennsylvania cold "pitza" closer to New Jersey border? Wed, 08/24/11 3:41 PM (permalink)
      4 Hours one way ??? - from Edison NJ ??!! 

You mean Round Trip- right?

It takes me 5 hours to get to the Scranton area from Rhode Island

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
        Re:Any place to get Pennsylvania cold "pitza" closer to New Jersey border? Wed, 08/24/11 9:47 PM (permalink)
        One place that has excellent "bakery" pizza similar to Senape's and much closer is  LeDonne's Bakery in Roseto PA. I clocked it at about an hour and 10 minutes from Scotch Plains, similar for you I'm sure.

They are closed on Wednesdays, and close every day at noon. It also helps a lot if you call ahead and place an order. Here's some Yelp information. Thier web site is minimal.
        http://www.yelp.com/biz/ledonne-brothers-bakery-roseto

PS: Don't thank me, one of the Roadfood posters from the Lehigh Valley clued me in to it.

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 184
          Re:Any place to get Pennsylvania cold "pitza" closer to New Jersey border? Thu, 08/25/11 10:33 AM (permalink)
          Yeah, sorry I did mapquest and it was 2.5 hours.. so I guess it was round trip. My mistake.

Thank you so much for the post!!!!!!!

I am going to hit up the Allentown Farmer's Market.. too bad you didn't mean Allentown, NJ because I live right near there now. But Allentown, PA is about 1.5 hour drive for me now.

http://www.hazletonconnection.com/

I'm going to call the lady and see about getting 10 boxes this weekend!!

pdadarwal

• Total Posts: 1
            Re:Any place to get Pennsylvania cold "pitza" closer to New Jersey border? Fri, 08/26/11 8:17 AM (permalink)
            I have so many places but the best place I have is this to check this link and I promise to get the best one.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
              Re:Any place to get Pennsylvania cold "pitza" closer to New Jersey border? Fri, 11/9/12 7:26 PM (permalink)
              Just a bump to this thread, we were out to the Allentown Farmer's Market today and the Taste of Hazleton booth (featuring Senape's Pitza) has closed. According the the guy in the Pretzel/Chip booth (love that one too..) they were doing an OK business but couldn't cover a rent increase. Bummer.

brookquarry

• Total Posts: 277
                Re:Any place to get Pennsylvania cold "pitza" closer to New Jersey border? Fri, 12/7/12 1:00 PM (permalink)
                Just an update about LeDonne's in Roseto (mentioned by Ken). It has now been sold and renamed the Roseto Bakery.
                The Tomato Pie (BAKERY PIZZA)is the same recipie.
                They have added a sales area on the first floor(no entering the actual oven area in the basement, from the back  of the building any more) and have added products such as biscotti and cannoli- which they fill  when you order them. The cannoli are good, although not up to the standards of the best Philly places such as Isgros or Termini.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com