The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's For DINNER ...???

Change Page: << < ..919293949596979899100.. > >> | Showing page 92 of 129, messages 2731 to 2760 of 3851
mar52

• Total Posts: 7596
Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Mon, 06/3/13 1:32 PM (permalink)
Hot lemon water?
Hot tea and honey?
Hot booze and water?

Maybe it's just the hot water that is good.

iluvcfood

• Total Posts: 395
    Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Mon, 06/3/13 1:47 PM (permalink)
    mar52

Ouch!  So that was Bill kicking me....

Greg, we have a couple good producing lemon trees by the pool.  Most of the people here ignore them, but there are a few of us that know that those yellow things hanging on the tree are lemons.

My guava tree has really grown big but the fruit it produces are still the size of berries. 

We just bought rat bait things because they're digging in our new plants and last year they ate everything.  Maybe I should just sprinkle salt around.

Living in the Country as we do we have been inundated with all kinds of creatures!  Rabbits were mainly the worst as they ate ALL of our veggies as well as many plants.  We finally managed to discourage them by sprinkling bloodmeal around the veggies and the plants they liked and it helped a lot.  This year surprisingly we havent seen hide nor hair (no pun intended) of any.
    As to rats.........  OMG..............last year and the year before we had HUGE rats that we couldnt seem to get rid of!  I bought the big rat traps from HD and set them every day and would catch as many as 3 or 4 a day.   We finally bought those rat poison pellet boxes and set them everywhere.  That worked VERY well and seemed to get rid of them.  ONLY problem with the poison is that they eat it or bring it back to feed their young and then die leaving the dead bodies wherever the nest is!  Problem is that they die sometimes under the house and as they decay they stink to high heaven and unless you can crawl under the house to retrieve the dead bodies the smell lasts seemingly forever!  We put boxes of moth balls under the house to kill the smell but it takes awhile to work!
    NOW...........we have a feral cat problem!!! 
    IF we leave our Birdies outside a feral cat wants to get to them and eat them!  It even came in the house where the birds sit in front of the French doors for fresh air and try to get to them.   Feral cats are EXTREMELY dangerous, vicious and dont scare away easily as they have NO fear!  They hiss at you and carry MANY types of diseases.  This particular cat is about the size of a small dog!  
    Havent figured this one out yet!  Animal control wants to charge $150.00-$200.00 to come out and assess the problem and to set traps!
    Crap!  

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
      Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Mon, 06/3/13 1:53 PM (permalink)
      Salt + pepper + lemon zest together will make a beautiful lemon seasoning....without leaving home.
      <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 06/3/13 1:55 PM>

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
        Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Mon, 06/3/13 6:01 PM (permalink)
        Tonight it's soft shell crabs, one of my daughter Katie's favorite things. I dredge them in flour mixed with some salt and pepper.

I shake off the excess and fry them in half butter and half oil. Delicious!

Our first of the season! I'm sure we'll have many more!!

agnesrob

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Mon, 06/3/13 6:22 PM (permalink)
          I just realized I forgot to post my shrimp etouffee recipe. Here it is. I also make it with frozen crawfish tails when I have them.
          Shrimp Etouffee
          1/4 Cup cooking oil
          1/2 Cup Flour
          1 1/2 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
          1 medium onion finely chopped
          1/2 cup green onions, chopped
          2 cloves garlic, chopped
          1/2 bell pepper, chopped
          2 ribs celery, chopped
          4-5 sprigs parsley, chopped
          1 large tomato, chopped
          Salt and Red Pepper to taste

Make a roux with the oil and flour. Cook only to a light brown color( I generally like mine, for this, the color of a paper bag when using crawfish and slightly lighter for shrimp).
          Add the remaining ingredients. Cover pot or skillet and cook over very low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you see sufficient gravy. Since you do not add water to this dish, slow and low is a must. It really makes a beautiful gravy, almost like magic! So simple but so delicious!
          I got this recipe from Pirate's Pantry, published by "The Junior League of Lake Charles, La". My husband is from Lake Charles and this cookbook was a gift from my Mother in Law who passed on many years ago. I really treasure it. I have to say, though, that my husband's etouffee is totally different. He doesn't follow a recipe but makes it how his Mom always did. And nobody can beat his gumbo, also, no recipe!

<message edited by agnesrob on Mon, 06/3/13 6:27 PM>

iluvcfood

• Total Posts: 395
            Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Mon, 06/3/13 7:17 PM (permalink)
            agnesrob

Tonight it's soft shell crabs, one of my daughter Katie's favorite things. I dredge them in flour mixed with some salt and pepper.

I shake off the excess and fry them in half butter and half oil. Delicious!

Our first of the season! I'm sure we'll have many more!!

Excuse my stupidity but you dont eat the shells on those crabs do you?  If not.......why season them that way if they dont get eaten??

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1270
              Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Mon, 06/3/13 7:27 PM (permalink)
              mar52

Hot lemon water?
              Hot tea and honey?
              Hot booze and water?

Maybe it's just the hot water that is good.

Except for the tea, that's my hot whiskey recipe, which I love to drink when I'm sick. I also use cloves in it.

Thank you for posting the recipe, Agnes!
              <message edited by love2bake on Mon, 06/3/13 7:29 PM>

mar52

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Mon, 06/3/13 7:37 PM (permalink)
                Soft Shell Crabs!  One of my favorite meals next to King Crab Legs.

Greg..  They shed their shells and the new shell that is forming underneath is soft and edible and delicious.

I've copied your recipe, Agnes... Thanks!

CCinNJ

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Mon, 06/3/13 7:49 PM (permalink)
                  Thank you very much Agnes!

agnesrob

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Mon, 06/3/13 9:21 PM (permalink)
                    You are all welcome for the recipe and yes, iluvcfood, you are able to eat the whole thing! So delicious!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Mon, 06/3/13 10:01 PM (permalink)
                      Tonight was:

mini cinnamon rolls
                      gummy worms
                      gummy bears
                      tortilla chips
                      queso with salsa
                      pork egg rolls
                      tang
                      vanilla cow tails

EXTRA Insulin

Just one of those days

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3292
                        Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 2:06 AM (permalink)
                        Two lemon meringue pop tarts. One vanilla yogurt. One raspberry yogurt. One chocolate chip fiber bar. One small container cottage cheese.

This is what happens when you get up too late to make and pack a lunch, and then end up never leaving work for 12 1/2 hours. Everything I brought I could just toss in my lunch bag with some blue ice and run out the door.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 6:56 AM (permalink)
                          Agnes-beautiful photos of the soft shell cabs-never had them in land locked Wisconsin...   And thanks for the recipe!!!

love2bake

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 9:04 AM (permalink)
                            Cajun - had to look up vanilla cow tails, and now I'll have to find some. 
                            Felix - maybe I shouldn't admit this, but those lemon meringue pop tarts sound pretty darn good!  It reminds me of a comedy routine I saw by Paula Poundstone.  Here's a quote from it:

"Inside there are three pouches of two. This is what happens to me: I open the first pouch, and I eat one tart, and I enjoy it very much, as naturally I would. And then I feel, Well, I have to eat the second one or it will go stale. Well, now I’ve eaten two, and it’s no longer just a snack, it’s a meal. I figure I may as well eat two more. And then finally I’m just like, Well hell, I don’t just want two pop tarts hangin’ out in a box. I eat the last two just to tidy up, really." — Paula Poundstone, in her 1990 special Cats, Cops, and Stuff

CCinNJ

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 9:22 AM (permalink)
                              Agnes...Pirate's Pantry is a SUPERSTAR in Junior League cookbooks...

http://www.jllc.net/?nd=pirates_pantry

Junior League cookbooks rock! Recipes are tried & true. "Test kitchens" last several generations. Proceeds from sales support local communities.
                              <message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 06/4/13 9:32 AM>

agnesrob

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                CC,  I have quite a few cook books put together by all kinds of organizations including two others from Louisiana but none of them beats the Pirate's Pantry!

agnesrob

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 7:11 PM (permalink)
                                  Got out of work early today so I made a pot of spaghetti sauce. I used Cento canned San Marzano  tomatoes, fresh herbs, Italian sausage and pork neck bones.

Here is the sausage and neck bones. I used the meat from the neck bones to add to the "Squash Lasagna" I made for my husband who really needs to eat low carb as much as possible. I used both zucchini and yellow squash. To the ricotta I added fresh chopped chives, parsley and an egg. 

My son Kyle and daughter Emily had the sauce with angel hair pasta. Katie came home from work famished and declared she was so hungry she could even eat the squash lasagna! She loved it. I love a successful dish!

CCinNJ

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                    Good gravy Agnes!!!

Gotta have the neck bones!

CCinNJ

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                      Neck bones. Snif snif snif...

agnesrob

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 7:35 PM (permalink)
                                        Love bones! They add so much flavor to any dish!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                                          Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 10:42 PM (permalink)
                                          For dinner tonight lleechef served grilled marinated skirt steak, a sliced tomato salad with a chiffonade of basil, fresh chopped oregano and extra virgin olive oil. It was followed by two cheeses, a reblochon and a fourme d'ambert, butter and sliced baguette. With dinner we had a DeLoach cabernet sauvignon. lleechef ordered these two cheeses, plus several more, from France and they arrived today.

love2bake

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 11:04 PM (permalink)
                                            That looks and sounds awesome, Agnes.

Poor CC - I guess there are a few things you can't find in NJ or NY...

CCinNJ

Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Tue, 06/4/13 11:09 PM (permalink)
                                              That is so true and just I stopped crying a few minutes ago.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                Re:What's For Dinner TONIGHT...??? Wed, 06/5/13 5:55 AM (permalink)
                                                Watch out, Mr.Hoffman- may have to move in for those kind of meals!

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                  Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Thu, 06/6/13 10:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  Does she know you're using her computer?

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                    Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Thu, 06/6/13 10:29 PM (permalink)
                                                    I just had a Big Stick for dinner.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3292
                                                      • Location: Near Grand Rapids, MI
                                                      Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Thu, 06/6/13 11:58 PM (permalink)
                                                      Chicken thigh marinated in teriyaki, ginger, allspice and nutmeg, with garlic couscous and some kinda frozen mixed vegetable blend. Not gourmet, but it's been about eight years since I've had time to cook.

Michael Hoffman

Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Fri, 06/7/13 9:17 AM (permalink)
                                                        Eggplant parmigiana and a side of penne for me. Eggplant parmigiana and a Caesar salad for lleechef, the only Italian I know who doesn't much care for macaroni. Oh, and a fine red wine -- something called Paisano.

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
                                                          • Location: Saratoga, NY
                                                          Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Fri, 06/7/13 9:33 AM (permalink)
                                                          "Fine" wine?????????????????

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:What's For DINNER ...??? Fri, 06/7/13 9:44 AM (permalink)
                                                            jaylhorner

"Fine" wine?????????????????

Sure. A very rare vintage. It's so hard to find I buy it by the gallon just to make certain I'll have some available.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..919293949596979899100.. > >> | Showing page 92 of 129, messages 2731 to 2760 of 3851

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 1 members and 7 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com