The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Now (finally) accepting credit cards...

Guy Olsen

Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Tue, 10/11/11 7:50 PM (permalink)
The Clam Box, Ipswich, MA:  MC & Visa, $25 minimum purchase (not a hard threshold to meet there);  observed 10/09/11.

Guy Olsen

Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Mon, 11/28/11 4:05 AM (permalink)
    Pete's Hot Dog Shop, Bethlehem, PA:  MC & Visa, $5 minimum purchase;  observed 11/27/11.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3707
      Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Mon, 11/28/11 9:09 AM (permalink)
      Tell me when Peter Luger's joins this parade.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 902
        Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Mon, 11/28/11 3:05 PM (permalink)
        I don't mind places that don't accept plastic, as long as I am aware of that fact before it's time to pay the check!

KurtSara

• Total Posts: 181
          Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Mon, 11/28/11 4:02 PM (permalink)
          ChrisOC

I don't mind places that don't accept plastic, as long as I am aware of that fact before it's time to pay the check!

I agree, we always have cash with us, in fact I don't remember the last time we used a card to pay for a meal

MetroplexJim

Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Mon, 11/28/11 5:16 PM (permalink)
            ChrisOC

The first two times I experienced the "no card" policy were at Christina Campbell's Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg and Peter Luger's.  Christina Campbell's simply gave me the bill and asked that I send them a check (those were the days!) and Luger's did much the same: based on my Platinum AMEX, they "granted me Luger's credit".  These instances happened before ATMs became ubiquitous. 

The last two times were fairly recent - at Bill Smith's Restaurant here in McKinney and Joe T. Garcia's in Ft. Worth.  Both times I got hit by a hefty ATM fee and a "$hitty, snotty attitude" that "pi$$ed me off" to the point that they lost my future patronage.  Incidently, both places are over-rated, IMHO.

I agree.  Let them tell me at the hostess stand. 
            <message edited by MetroplexJim on Mon, 11/28/11 5:20 PM>

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
              Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Mon, 11/28/11 5:18 PM (permalink)
              Jim, if you ever go to First Chinese BBQ in Richardson, remember, they only accept CASH!

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 902
                Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Tue, 11/29/11 7:44 AM (permalink)
                We went to Smitty's Clam Bar in Somers Point.  When we asked the waitress if they accepted credit cards, she anwered "No.  We take cash, a check or an IOU."

MetroplexJim

Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Tue, 11/29/11 8:29 AM (permalink)
                  Twinwillow

Jim, if you ever go to First Chinese BBQ in Richardson, remember, they only accept CASH!

Thanks for the "heads up"; they are definitely on my list.  Unfortunately, the Princess does not "do" Asian.  That's the only reason I haven't already been.  Hell, I wanted to go for lunch the day several years ago when they were reviewed in the DMN!

shevagibs

• Total Posts: 1
                    Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Tue, 11/29/11 1:48 PM (permalink)
                    yes  

MiamiDon

Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Sat, 12/3/11 7:12 AM (permalink)
                      Bottega in Miami is now accepting credit cards.  $2 minimum.  Observed 12/2/2011.

ToYou

• Total Posts: 13
                        Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Sat, 12/3/11 11:37 AM (permalink)
                        You can get a Peter Luger credit card.  It wasn't too difficult, they accepted me!  Their card does make eating there a bit more convenient.  I remember going there once with my sister before I had the card and after ordering just remembered that they didn't take the major credit cards.  We spent the next few minutes counting up all the money in our wallets to make sure we could cover the bill.  Then again it might have been an interesting experience to wash dishes in their kitchen.

MetroplexJim

Tell me when Peter Luger's joins this parade.

<message edited by ToYou on Sat, 12/3/11 12:08 PM>

Guy Olsen

Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Wed, 04/25/12 10:22 PM (permalink)
                          Matthews Cafeteria, Tucker, GA:  MC, Visa & AmEx, no posted minimums;  observed 4/17/12.

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                            Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Thu, 04/26/12 10:19 AM (permalink)
                            A dinner for two at Luger's can easily exceed $300.  Few people carry that much cash and walking around with that much money is ill-advised in Luger's neighborhood. 
                            Luger's can get away with it.  Just like they can get away long waits - really long waits - before seating people with a reservation.  Heck, they are worse than the medical profession on that score.
                            When I lived in Brooklyn, I had a Luger's credit card.  And you could always pay be check.  I came back for a visit last year and I was shocked - shocked - at how much prices had gone up and how much longer the wait was.  The food was still great - except when we ordered chocolate mousse, the waiter did not come out with a huge tureen of whipped cream and keep scooping until we told him "when."  And they no longer had Beck's dark.

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
                              Re:Now (finally) accepting credit cards... Thu, 04/26/12 11:57 AM (permalink)
                              Actually that neighborhood has improved quite a bit.  The hipsters have moved in in force.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com