The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fish Sandwich

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
Fish Sandwich Mon, 10/24/11 3:17 PM (permalink)
I recently enjoyed the second best fish sandwich I've ever eaten in my life. I was in Pittsburgh, and had just finished a sort of tour of The Strip (and don't get me started about the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company -- they force you to spend lots of money once you walk inside the place) and I wanted one of those fish sandwiches I've read about on Roadfood. As I recall, the place so often touted, Wholey's, was crowded. So my tour guide remembered another place, not on The Strip but close by, called Benkovitz Seafood. My friends (and you, too, Billy), the fish sandwich was wonderful. Although they didn't say, I'm pretty sure it was cod. I'm looking forward to a return visit, and I'm thinking about getting their one-pound version next time.

http://www.benkovitzseafood.com/

By the way, the best fish sandwich ever for me was the fried haddock at Flanders Fish market in East Lyme, Connecticut.
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Mon, 10/24/11 3:21 PM>

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2234
    Re:Fish Sandwich Mon, 10/24/11 3:31 PM (permalink)
    The Menu & Prices look great, the Soft shell Crab sandwich caught my eye. Happy you found the second best fish sandwich, I knew the best had to be in Ct...............happy you had fun...............pnwc

Michael Hoffman

Re:Fish Sandwich Mon, 10/24/11 3:37 PM (permalink)
      I had a ball. I never even noticed the soft shell crab sandwich. I didn't see any printed menu, just a chalkboard.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6225
        Re:Fish Sandwich Mon, 10/24/11 3:40 PM (permalink)
        Benkovitz does make a killer fish sandwich. 

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
          Re:Fish Sandwich Mon, 10/24/11 3:43 PM (permalink)
          I see lots of items on their menu that appeal to me but I'd get the fish sandwich after reading your post.

My most memorable fish sandwich one with fried grouper at Star Fish Company in Cortez FL.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
            Re:Fish Sandwich Mon, 10/24/11 5:42 PM (permalink)
            Wonderful looking menu, and am glad you enjoyed your sandwich. It amazes me, as we( in Wisconsin) have great fish sandwiches-its not unusual. You can get many wonderful fish sandwiches around the state..

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
              Re:Fish Sandwich Mon, 10/24/11 7:57 PM (permalink)
              Your timing was perfect. It's National Seafood Month!
              http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/stories/2011/10/celebrating_national_seafood_month.html
              If anyone knows where to get a good "Back East' Seafood Sandwich in AZ please let me know!

Beata740

• Total Posts: 3
                Re:Fish Sandwich Tue, 11/22/11 1:26 AM (permalink)
                as we are discussing about fish sandwich so here i am sharing with you my favourite fish sandwich recipe, and i hope you like it...

Ingredients: 
                • 1 pound skinless, boneless grouper or snapper fillets
                • 3/4 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
                • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
                • 3/4 cup stoned wheat cracker crumbs (crush crackers with food processor or rolling pin)
                • 1/2 teaspoon salt
                • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
                • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
                • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
                • 1 tablespoon canola oil
                • Canola cooking spray
                • 4 thin slices reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
                • 4 whole grain hamburger buns, toasted
                • 8 teaspoons pickle relish (whatever type you prefer)
                • 4 large Romaine lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry
                Preparation:
                1. Cut fish fillets into four even pieces (about 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches each). Rinse and dry well.
                2. Place the flour in a small bowl, and the buttermilk in another small bowl. In a medium shallow bowl, stir together cracker crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and fresh parsley to blend.
                3. Dip each fish square first into the flour, then the buttermilk, then the cracker crumb mixture.
                4. Place a medium, nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Spread canola oil on the bottom and add the fillets. Use canola cooking spray to generously coat the tops of the fillets. Fry until the bottoms are golden brown, about 3 minutes, then carefully flip with a spatula and brown the other side -- about 2 minutes more. Turn off the heat, lay the cheese slices over the fish, and cover pan until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
                5. Serve fillets on toasted hamburger buns, dressed with relish and lettuce.

Ethan21

• Total Posts: 3
                  Re:Fish Sandwich Tue, 12/13/11 4:03 AM (permalink)
                  I like fish...but not on a sandwich, no. I don't like sandwiches. I'll gladly have all the workings of a sandwich...just not in sandwich form. I'm so weird.

I also thought about a roadside place I know that sells fish sandwiches.

lleechef

Re:Fish Sandwich Tue, 12/13/11 7:51 AM (permalink)
                    Ethan21

I like fish...but not on a sandwich, no. I don't like sandwiches. I'll gladly have all the workings of a sandwich...just not in sandwich form. I'm so weird.

I also thought about a roadside place I know that sells fish sandwiches.

Actually that's not wierd at all because I usually order my fish sandwich in W. PA "no bun".  The portions of fish are so huge that if I ate all the bread, I'd never finish the fish.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                      Re:Fish Sandwich Tue, 12/13/11 9:49 AM (permalink)
                      Michael Hoffman

I recently enjoyed the second best fish sandwich I've ever eaten in my life. I was in Pittsburgh, and had just finished a sort of tour of The Strip (and don't get me started about the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company -- they force you to spend lots of money once you walk inside the place) and I wanted one of those fish sandwiches I've read about on Roadfood. As I recall, the place so often touted, Wholey's, was crowded. So my tour guide remembered another place, not on The Strip but close by, called Benkovitz Seafood. My friends (and you, too, Billy), the fish sandwich was wonderful. Although they didn't say, I'm pretty sure it was cod. I'm looking forward to a return visit, and I'm thinking about getting their one-pound version next time.

http://www.benkovitzseafood.com/

There are no better fish sandwiches than a good grouper sandwich, a Florida specialty. Now, there are not so good grouper sandwiches, of course. But, to have one done right is fantastic! Dave's Dockside in John's Pass, FL is a perfect example of one!
                      By the way, the best fish sandwich ever for me was the fried haddock at Flanders Fish market in East Lyme, Connecticut.

<message edited by kevincad on Tue, 12/13/11 9:50 AM>

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                        Re:Fish Sandwich Tue, 12/13/11 10:32 AM (permalink)
                        Michael Hoffman

I had a ball. I never even noticed the soft shell crab sandwich. I didn't see any printed menu, just a chalkboard.

Other than NYC and Chicago, my favorite U.S. "food city" is my birth-home of Pittsburgh.  Glad you enjoyed it so.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Fish Sandwich Wed, 12/14/11 2:57 PM (permalink)
                          Hey, I can't wait to get back to The Strip. Well, if it must include a visit to the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company I'll try to wait till my bank account is healed.

lleechef

Re:Fish Sandwich Thu, 12/15/11 12:55 AM (permalink)
                            Mr. Hoffman, you know you cannot hold out until the New Year for another Wholey's fish sandwich!  They are addictive.   

Michael Hoffman

Re:Fish Sandwich Thu, 12/15/11 12:23 PM (permalink)
                              True.

marqui

• Total Posts: 16
                                Re:Fish Sandwich Tue, 02/14/12 2:55 AM (permalink)
                                I have never tasted this one yet. The Fish Sandwich? I'm sure it tasted great based on how you described it. Thanks for the idea Michael.

lleechef

Re:Fish Sandwich Tue, 02/14/12 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                  marqui, if you have never tasted a fish sandwich, do not be tempted to order one at McDonald's or any other fast food joint.  A REAL fish sandwich is a 12-16 oz. piece of cod or haddock (in PA) that is dipped in batter and fried.  The batter is thin and ultra crispy and the fish is thick and moist.  A little malt vinegar or tartar sauce and voila, you have a Western PA fish sandwich. 

pnwchef

Re:Fish Sandwich Tue, 02/14/12 11:23 AM (permalink)
                                    Chef, if marqui does that they will be spoiled for life and never be able to eat another fish sandwich any place else. ..............

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
                                      Re:Fish Sandwich Tue, 02/14/12 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                      marqui

I have never tasted this one yet. The Fish Sandwich? I'm sure it tasted great based on how you described it. Thanks for the idea Michael.

Where is CDOc, XXX???

lleechef

Re:Fish Sandwich Tue, 02/14/12 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                        pnwchef

Chef, if marqui does that they will be spoiled for life and never be able to eat another fish sandwich any place else. ..............

Boo hoo, but it's one of those "Bucket" things.....you just have to get a good fish sandwich.  Then you are spoiled for life.  And you want to go back and go back.......OK, I'll stop.

pnwchef

Re:Fish Sandwich Wed, 02/15/12 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                           Chef,I looked at the menu at Benkovitz Seafood, I wish we had these kind of seafood prices in the PNW. If you go to Seattle , or over to the Oregon coast, it's hard to get a good Halibut or Cod Fish and chips for under $16 to $18. This place gives you a fish dinner or sandwich that knocks your socks off.............
                                          "The Original" Fried Fish Sandwich $6.95 Broiled Fish Sandwich $7.95 Fried Cajun Fish Sandwich $7.95 Fried Fish, One Pound $11.95 Broiled Fish, One Pound $12.95 Fish in a Dish, Fried $8.95 Fish in a Dish, Broiled $9.95 Coconut Shrimp w/ Mango Sauce $4.95 Shrimp in a Basket $4.95 Scallops $7.95 Clam Strips $4.95 Oysters (6) $5.95 Smelts $4.95 Crab Cutlets $2.95 Seafood Eggroll $1.95 Soft-Shell Crab Sandwich (Seasonal) $8.95 Fish 'N' Chips, Fried $7.95 Fish 'N' Chips, Broiled $9.95 Shore Dinner, Fried ( Includes Fish, Crab Cakes, Fries & Slaw) $8.95 Shore Dinner, Broiled ( Includes Fish, Crab Cakes, Fries & Slaw) $9.95 Chicken Sandwich (With Lettuce & Tomato, and a side of Cole Slaw ) $4.95 Fried Hoagie ( Includes Lettuce, Tomato, Onion & Cheese) $6.95 Fish Hoagie, Broiled ( Includes Lettuce, Tomato, Onion & Cheese) $8.95 Tuna Steak Sandwich (With Lettuce & Tomato on Whole Wheat) $9.95 Swordfish Steak Sandwich (With Lettuce & Tomato on Whole Wheat) $9.95 Salmon Fillet Sandwich (With Lettuce & Tomato on Whole Wheat Bread $7.95 Other Fresh Fish Steak or Fillet Sandwich Varies                                                        

lleechef

Re:Fish Sandwich Wed, 02/15/12 1:21 PM (permalink)
                                            I know!  I calculate the food cost every time I go in there.  But the fish is soooooo good.  It's crazy to get such a good piece of fish far, far away from the ocean.  It's a Pittsburgh thing. 

marqui

Re:Fish Sandwich Thu, 02/16/12 3:11 AM (permalink)
                                              Thank you for the suggestions fellows. Ill try what you've said. Maybe that will happen for sure! I'm getting hooked up now.

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                                                Re:Fish Sandwich Thu, 02/16/12 9:02 AM (permalink)
                                                Fully agree with a previous poster that grouper makes the best fish sandwich.

Also agree with the poster that orders the fish sandwich (in my case, other than grouper) without the bun.  It's a good way to get a smaller order of fish & chips or a portion of fried fish without the fries, if they happen to be a frozen or even worse, a battered product.  One can also obviously simply toss the bun.

Perhaps oddly, I also happen to like a McDonalds fish sandwich.  While it admittedly has little in common to a decent fish sandwich, for me, it's a preferred alternative to fast food burgers when I'm wanting a quick meal.  It, however, needs the bun, cheese & mayo to be edible.

jbburn

• Total Posts: 19
                                                  Re:Fish Sandwich Thu, 02/16/12 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                                  This thread made me remember my favorite fish sandwich from Deluxe Billiard Hall in Champaign,Illinois.Alas it is no more but what a fine sandwich it was . If I remember correctly only served on Fridays,and only with kechup no tartar sauce allowed.

marqui

Re:Fish Sandwich Fri, 02/17/12 2:47 AM (permalink)
                                                    do not be tempted to order one at McDonald's or any other fast food joint.

Perhaps oddly, I also happen to like a McDonalds fish sandwich.

Looks like McDonalds is really famous by its Fish Sandwich..

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                      • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:Fish Sandwich Fri, 02/17/12 4:43 AM (permalink)
                                                      I will third the fresh grouper from th gulf coast, but as Lleechef has said the PA fish sandwich is one of those bucketlist type sandwiches.

It has been too long since I made the journey east, hmmm maybe later this late spring early summer.

The one good thing it is becoming FISH season, and every weekend from now until Easter will find a Good fish fry at the local Catholic church.  I am drooling just thinking about them.

goodfoodwarehouse

• Total Posts: 12
                                                        • Location: Gold Coast, XX
                                                        Re:Fish Sandwich Tue, 06/5/12 3:09 AM (permalink)
                                                        Yuppp!!

Nice to hear this new kind fish sandwich.As I searched out the recipe is different and unique..

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com