The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

What Happened To Dalt's?

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
What Happened To Dalt's? Sun, 11/20/11 10:07 AM (permalink)
During the late 80's, Dalt's was both of my kid's first choice to go out to eat. That wasn't something we did often unless it was my parents treat. From what I remember, they were a spinoff of TGIFriday's with a much greater emphasis on family dining. Considering all of the hassles of dining with young ones, they were extremely kid friendly. They were big on desserts and ice cream products, easy on the wallet....and on the ears, unlike their parent company restaurants. The location that we used to go to was always packed. I understand there is a sole surviving location in Nashville that's independently owned and  prospering very well through the years.

Anyone know why TGIF cut them loose? They certainly were doing well here. 

MiamiDon

Re:What Happened To Dalt's? Sun, 11/20/11 10:11 AM (permalink)
    Dawn,  I don't recall Dalt's.  Where was it located?

DawnT

Re:What Happened To Dalt's? Sun, 11/20/11 11:12 AM (permalink)
      The location we used to go to was on kendall and 117th Don, just b4 Town & Country in what's now Kendall Market Place.  

MiamiDon

Re:What Happened To Dalt's? Sun, 11/20/11 11:35 AM (permalink)
        Oooh, I think I remember someone mentioning it now.  Did it have a bar?

DawnT

Re:What Happened To Dalt's? Sun, 11/20/11 11:55 AM (permalink)
          Yeah, they did as I recall. We didn't go that often, our optometrist moved out there to town & country then moved across from the Falls, so we tried to make it a treat whenever we all had an appt. We stopped going to the place especially after they got older and the dr. moved. I wonder if that Bennigan's and Red Lobster that was built across kendall killed them. Last I remember, they upgraded the place from the old time ice cream parlor look to a more contemporary and upscale restaurant decor. There was a WAG's in that plaza for a while too that didn't last very long.

MiamiDon

Re:What Happened To Dalt's? Sun, 11/20/11 12:01 PM (permalink)
            OK, I remember a couple of friends who lived in deepest, darkest Kendall mentioning it as one of a couple of happy-hour watering holes on their way home from downtown and the airport area.  This was back in the 1980's, too.

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
              Re:What Happened To Dalt's? Sun, 11/20/11 3:29 PM (permalink)
              The Nashville store has a web site, and their "About Us" page mentions their former TGIF connection:

http://www.daltsgrill.net/

It doesn't ring a bell to me.  Perhaps it was never in the Atlanta market?  Then again, I could be wrong, but I don't think that TGIF made it to Atlanta until the early nineties, when Bennigan's was weak enough that Friday's could take them on more easily.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                Re:What Happened To Dalt's? Sun, 11/20/11 6:33 PM (permalink)
                There was one on Columbia Pike @ Bailey's Crossroads in Arlington, VA back in the early '80's.  We liked it and used to go there often with our young kids.  Had no idea that it was a chain.

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                  Re:What Happened To Dalt's? Sun, 11/20/11 6:43 PM (permalink)
                  I've eaten at the one in Nashville many times.  Truthfully, I didn't know there was one outside of that city.

doulasc

• Total Posts: 45
                    Re:What Happened To Dalt's? Mon, 11/21/11 10:19 AM (permalink)
                    We had one in Worthington Ohio at N.High St and W.Wilson Brigde Rd in the Worthington Square Shopping center.It closed like 12 years ago. That area has a lot of store vacancies today.

Large Man

• Total Posts: 75
                      Re:What Happened To Dalt's? Mon, 11/21/11 9:59 PM (permalink)
                      There was one on RT 73 just before the Marlton Circle across from TGIFridays and Greentree Plaza in Cherry Hill NJ.  The food was good, burgers fries and sandwhiches.  I remember the beer milkshake on the menu.  Oddly they were ok.

Kayumochi

• Total Posts: 1
                        Re:What Happened To Dalt's? Thu, 06/13/13 9:30 PM (permalink)
                        I worked as a bartender at the Dalt's in Atlanta on Roswell Rd inside the Perimeter in 1988-89 .  The bar was exceptionally beautiful.  I think an Outback Steak House is there now and the bar is gone.  Yes, it was owned by TGIF.  Atlanta Magazine had a food issue then ... best places to each Sunday brunch or something like which claimed Dalt's had Atlanta's best fried potatoes ... they were pretty good.   The drink menu featured lots of hot alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks I never learned to make :)  Not long after I left there was an article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution about Dalt's closing ... employees were interviewed and it all came suddenly.  Corporate drones used to cycle in and out of Dalt's, all of them arrogant.  Most of the restaurant management was top notch and loved the industry.  

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com