The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers

wheregreggeats.com

Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Fri, 12/16/11 8:57 PM (permalink)

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
    Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Fri, 12/16/11 11:04 PM (permalink)
    Gave up after Umami Burger. At the rate the website was moving, I'd be there all night. Nice to see that Shake Shack is down here. I think Don mentioned they're opening in the now defunct Smoke'd accross from UM. They should give 5 guys down the road a run for their money.

MiamiDon

Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Sat, 12/17/11 6:21 AM (permalink)
      You can speed up the viewing by clicking on the thumbnail images in the article.

I haven't read any official announcements about the Coral Gables Shake Shack location, but here is what New Times has to say:

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/shortorder/2011/08/shake_shack_to_open_second_mia.php

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6083
        Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Sat, 12/17/11 6:54 AM (permalink)
        Interesting...love those 5 Guys burgers!!!..seems that the success of 5 Guys , Smashburger and even in N Out has moved Burger King And Wendy"s to try to  improve. I think BK's new fries are a big improvement...will places like that ever sell a burger like 5 Guys???  Interesting thought....the article implies Wendy accepts the challenge...what will next year's burger review say???

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
          Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Sat, 12/17/11 8:09 AM (permalink)
          So 5 Guys tops the Zagat survey once again.  That's hardly news.

I'll have to try SmashBurger; they just opened a new store near our favorite COSTCO in West Plano.  A former Cowgirl (or as we like to call them:  Jerry's Kids) owns the Dallas rights.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
            Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Sat, 12/17/11 10:17 AM (permalink)
            DawnT

Gave up after Umami Burger. At the rate the website was moving, I'd be there all night. Nice to see that Shake Shack is down here. I think Don mentioned they're opening in the now defunct Smoke'd accross from UM. They should give 5 guys down the road a run for their money.

Every picture I have ever seen of an Umami Burger make me gag. I like Med Rare. But Umami's are always literally, swimming in a pool of blood. Look a that pic.

MiamiDon

Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Sat, 12/17/11 11:54 AM (permalink)
              Great Umami Burger that I ate ten months ago:

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Sun, 12/18/11 9:23 AM (permalink)
                Tried a Smashburger yesterday for lunch.

To my surprise and delight, it is a better burger and a better value than Five Guys.

As comparing two "fast food chains" is a bit off topic here I'll share my reasoning in the "Fast Food Franchises & Non-Roadfood" section.

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
                  Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Sun, 12/18/11 9:49 AM (permalink)
                  IMO 5 Guys loses points because they won't do a medium rare burger. I do like their fries.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                    Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Sun, 12/18/11 9:59 PM (permalink)
                    that website was annoying.
                     I like5 Guys, but I'll go maybe once a year.
                    I get a better burger at quite a few local bars for the same price as 5 Guys done the way I want it.
                    we don't have a Smashburger or Shakeshack or In N Out in the area so I can't judge those but they look like regular FF burgers to me.
                     the only one that looks like a burger that you'd get cooked to order is the Umami burger.
                    this looks like a best of in their opinion of franchise burgers.

jimmysmoot

• Total Posts: 21
                      Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Thu, 06/7/12 4:57 PM (permalink)
                      acer2x

IMO 5 Guys loses points because they won't do a medium rare burger. I do like their fries.

agreed!

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 641
                        Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Fri, 07/6/12 11:47 PM (permalink)
                        How about the guy that makes giant burgers in Alabama-as a hobby. Here's his latest, 17 pounds http://rlreevesjr.tumblr....-burger-out-of-alabama

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                          Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Sat, 07/7/12 12:27 AM (permalink)
                          MetroplexJim

So 5 Guys tops the Zagat survey once again.  That's hardly news.
                          I'll have to try SmashBurger; they just opened a new store near our favorite COSTCO in West Plano.  A former Cowgirl (or as we like to call them:  Jerry's Kids) owns the Dallas rights.

Cowboys Cheerleaders AKA "Jerry's Kids"??? Hadn't heard that one! Now THAT's Funny right there!@!

jimBoSF

• Total Posts: 14
                            Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Fri, 07/13/12 1:47 AM (permalink)
                            looks good, but not much of an article.

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 510
                              • Location: Northern VA (the nasty Washington D.C. 'burbs part
                              Re:Finally: Huff Post Wieghs In on the Year in Burgers Fri, 07/13/12 5:30 PM (permalink)

Of those burgers on their list, I still like Five Guys the best.  Shake Shack could be good, but every time I've tried one (5 or 6 times), the bun is WET for some reason.  I keeping thinking that the next time it won't be wet, ... but nope. It's always wet.  Are they steaming / over steaming them?  I tried Smashburger once at a location in the Miami suburbs.   It was just okay.  Didn't care for that brioche-like bun, plus my order was wrong.  I'll give 'em another try, as it might have just been a case of one bad employee.   In 'N Out was okay, but nothing special.  It's very "fast food-ish" ...only a slight notch above a McDs, BK, etc.    I have not tried it, but any pic I have seen of a Umami burger turns my stomch.  Looks like a pile of wet, undercooked goo on one of those dry bricohe buns that are annoyingly becoming more and more common in burger places.  

Glenn

<message edited by Glenn1234 on Fri, 07/13/12 5:32 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com