Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Sausage Gravy Add-Ins?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 47
SpicyCheese

• Total Posts: 30
Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 1:35 PM (permalink)
For many, the common consensus is the further north you go, the worst the biscuits and gravy become.  I think it's for several reasons but also because of what gets added into the gravy. 

In Stockton, Illinois, which is just about 4 miles from Wisconsin, there is a cafe that puts green pepper and onion in their sausage gravy.  And I know a lot of people have said they love it.  To them, it is as if the gravy was "made better" by adding stuff to it. 

Is this an isolated thing or do other cafe's do this? 
Is this something for just the northern states or does this happen in the south as well? 
Do any of the southerners and purists reading this find their hackles up and feel the urge to blast these add-ins as unholy abominations?

Also, am I the only one who likes fresh minced jalapeno on my biscuits and gravy?  
Is it a southern habit to put Tabasco sauce on it or is this more about individual taste? 

Now I'm wondering if I put cheese curds with it, would this make it a Frankenpoutine? 

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17800
    Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 1:39 PM (permalink)
    I've never had sausage gravy with either onions or peppers in it, but I think I'd like to try it -- at least with the onions. I do often add some hot sauce to sausage gravy.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
      Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 1:49 PM (permalink)
      When I make sausage gravy at home I brown a little bit of minced onion with the meat before I add the flour and milk, but I don't add it as an after-it's-cooked ingredient and haven't encountered it as such in any restaurants around here.

Brad

Michael Hoffman

Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 2:00 PM (permalink)
        Oh, when I said I think I'd like to try it with onions I meant cooked with the gravy, not added afterwards. I wouldn't want anything added later -- except for my hot sauce.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
          Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 3:06 PM (permalink)
          A splash of worcestershireshireshire sauce.

A pinch of sugar is also good.

mickie49

• Total Posts: 13
            Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 3:12 PM (permalink)
            I have always sauteed onions along with the sausage and then added Frank's hot sauce to the gravy.  Have even on rare occasions used bulk sweet sausage in place of the breakfast sausage.........gasp....sacrilege....I think not....it's terrific!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
              Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 5:15 PM (permalink)
              I've always liked onions in mine and ALWAYS add Tabasco on my plate--not in the pot.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 5:30 PM (permalink)
                A couple of pinches of granulated beef boullion, to the gravy as it's thickning, is indeed a good thing!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                  Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 5:49 PM (permalink)
                  And, a bit of good bacon.

Large Man

• Total Posts: 75
                    Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 5:53 PM (permalink)
                    You don't need to add things if it's perfect in the first place.  Ya'll must not have good sausage gravy to begin with!

Sundancer7

Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 6:20 PM (permalink)
                      I am a fan of sausage and gravy and I make it quite often.  I think the additon of ingredients is a plus on occasion.  I think the onions, peppers and other things just add to the value of a good gravy.  I don't think that I would like it like that everytime but on occasion, it sure does sound good.

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                        Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 7:55 PM (permalink)
                        As a Purist, the only thing you add to sausage and gravy is more sausage.
                        However, I have been known to hit it with a dash of Crystal Sauce once it's on the biscuits and on the plate.

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                          Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 8:47 PM (permalink)
                          Grease, flour, salt, pepper, milk. It was good enough for my grandparents and it's always been good to me. Not sure it needs anything else. I had some at Bob Evans many, many years ago that obviously had beef stock in it. It was terrible. Haven't been back to a BE since.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 8:56 PM (permalink)
                            Root-Beer Man

Grease, flour, salt, pepper, milk. It was good enough for my grandparents and it's always been good to me. Not sure it needs anything else. I had some at Bob Evans many, many years ago that obviously had beef stock in it. It was terrible. Haven't been back to a BE since.

No sausage in your sausage gravy?

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                              Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 9:07 PM (permalink)
                              LOL. I thought sausage in Sawmill gravy was a given, but we usually have the sausage as patties around here, so it gets removed. It gets added in for sawmill style, tho. The recipe is also good using bacon grease, without crumbled up bacon.

lynndunham

• Total Posts: 194
                                Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 9:24 PM (permalink)
                                I love a good, thick sausage gravy with some sausage in it. Also found I like it with a little salsa on top - maybe an Arizona thing. My favorite biscuit gravy is the bacon gravy my husband makes.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                  Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 9:37 PM (permalink)
                                  I guess I am a purest but I would be appalled if a restaurant added peppers and onion to my sausage gravy. Especially if they didn't state that on the menu.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                                    Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 11:01 PM (permalink)
                                    I  would never think of adding anything when making sausage gravy   except for more sausage!

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
                                      Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Sun, 01/15/12 11:22 PM (permalink)
                                      SpicyCheese

Do any of the southerners and purists reading this find their hackles up and feel the urge to blast these add-ins as unholy abominations?

This...

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Mon, 01/16/12 4:45 AM (permalink)
                                        Only thing I'll add to my sausage gravy is Poultry Seasoning while thickening it.

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
                                          Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Mon, 01/16/12 7:10 AM (permalink)
                                          Just reading the title of this thread on the RF homepage got my hackles up! LOL!

Why would anyone spoil a perfectly simple dish like biscuits and sausage gravy by adding in anything else? As much as I love melted cheese on anything, I'd fear disturbing my grandmother in her grave if I added cheese to biscuits and gravy. A pinch of extra sage or poultry seasoning is allowed only -- ONLY -- if the sausage is not seasoned enough to begin with.

Just the opinion of one member raised from the high chair up on my grandparents' biscuits and gravy.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                            Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Mon, 01/16/12 9:29 AM (permalink)
                                            More sausage, more gravy and lots of black pepper for me. Onions or peppers would make me send it back, the smell alone is offensive to me.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                              Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Mon, 01/16/12 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                              i can see not wanting the onions and peppers in your sausage gravy---but---onions--offensive!!!???   those two words just dont fit together in my brain!

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                                                Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Mon, 01/16/12 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                                I also like extra pepper in mine, and hot sauce only once it hits the plate, never mixed in ahead of time. Once in a while if I make it at home I'll cook some onion with the sausage if I have it in the fridge. Diced jalapeno on it sounds tempting also, I think I'd rather have that than green pepper with it, given a choice.

A couple years ago I went to a diner that had just opened up down the street from me, and the breakfast special was biscuits and gravy. They brought me a plate with a couple small, obviously previously cooked and refrigerated biscuits that they didn't bother to even reheat, with canned chicken gravy with some sausage in it, poured over top of it. I managed one bite into the cold biscuit and overly salty thin gravy. Horrifying. I never went back, and they didn't stay in business very long.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                                  • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
                                                  Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Mon, 01/16/12 10:44 AM (permalink)
                                                  quote i can see not wanting the onions and peppers in your sausage gravy---but---onions--offensive!!!???   those two words just dont fit together in my brain!

I love onions, especially in the onion soups I make but for some reason onions made in restaurants (except a good onion ring) have been awful.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Mon, 01/16/12 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                                    All the sausage gravy and biscuit talk -- I had to go out this morning to get some.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                                      • Location: Snellville, GA
                                                      Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Mon, 01/16/12 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                                      Large Man

You don't need to add things if it's perfect in the first place.  Ya'll must not have good sausage gravy to begin with!

Exactly!!!!!

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                                        • Location: Snellville, GA
                                                        Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Mon, 01/16/12 11:54 AM (permalink)
                                                        tcrouzer

Just reading the title of this thread on the RF homepage got my hackles up! LOL!

Why would anyone spoil a perfectly simple dish like biscuits and sausage gravy by adding in anything else? As much as I love melted cheese on anything, I'd fear disturbing my grandmother in her grave if I added cheese to biscuits and gravy. A pinch of extra sage or poultry seasoning is allowed only -- ONLY -- if the sausage is not seasoned enough to begin with.

Just the opinion of one member raised from the high chair up on my grandparents' biscuits and gravy.

I agree!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                                                          • Location: Stoughton, WI
                                                          Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Mon, 01/16/12 12:35 PM (permalink)
                                                          SpicyCheese

In Stockton, Illinois, which is just about 4 miles from Wisconsin, there is a cafe that puts green pepper and onion in their sausage gravy.

I should've asked this yesterday, but at what point are the pepper and onion added?

And how's the rest of the food there?

Brad

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
                                                            • Location: Saint Charles, MO
                                                            Re:Sausage Gravy Add-Ins? Mon, 01/16/12 1:32 PM (permalink)
                                                            good bulk sausage, flour, milk, and salt and pepper is all you need.  The more pepper, usually the better.  I often use some Tabasco or Crystal sauce at the table.

now, the poultry seasoning, that sounds somewhat interesting, especially if you are making it for supper over CFS.

onion or green pepper, I don't get it.  I've also heard to people adding diced tomatoes or cheese.  Neither would be to my taste. 

There's a place here in St Charles that has the best gravy; the biscuits could be better, but oh, their homemade gravy is outstanding.  I could eat it by the bowlful, and gain 20 pounds instantly.  Chunks of sausage, and sometimes some added bacon crumbles, added to rich flavorful gravy that is lumpy enough that you know it's homemade, none of that powdered stuff.  Redneck nirvana.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 47

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com