The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 53 of 53
wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Wed, 05/9/12 9:01 AM (permalink)
Just 10 days away!

I'm certainly looking forward to this.

My friend Mike and possibly his wife Lori will be joining us as well.
Billyboy,
Sorry to hear you can't make it.

karilyn

• Total Posts: 142
    Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Wed, 05/9/12 4:08 PM (permalink)
    WORCESTER  SATURDAY MAY 19, 2012            

Yes, we are 10 days away and counting down!

Beth and I have contacted all of our stops and we're getting our ducks in a row!

So far we have attending:

Beth and Steve (?), Karilyn, Gregg, Ellen, Cliff, Mariton, Dale, Amy, Lori and Ralph Melton and Mike . . . maybe his wife Lori as well.  I have a few people who need to confirm that they are joining us also.  

We'll pass out a copy of this itinerary as well as cell phone numbers when we meet at our first stop.  Meeting times (except Acoustic Java) are approximate.  Drive/walking times are from google maps and are rounded up.

I'll be starting the morning at 8:00 AM at the Crowne Bakery.  I've already reserved some of their chocolate rolls so whoever does not get here can enjoy them later.  I hope I have company here but expect to see everyone at the next stop at 8:45 AM.

Crown Bakery
    133 Gold Star Blvd, 508-852-0746
    Karilyn called and spoke with Jeanne/manager – reserved 4 Chocolate rolls for those who don’t get here.  Jeanne has Karilyn's name/number
    Cash/credit    plenty of parking

8:45 AM

Acoustic Java – coffee
    932 A Main Street, 508-756-9446
    Beth called . . . they are letting us arrive early and will let us in.
    10 minute drive to next stop.

9:15  AM
    Boulevard Diner – breakfast
    155 Shrewsbury St, 508-791-4535
    Karilyn spoke with Lisa who will be there on 19th.  
    They only have 32 seats and will not save seats.  We may swing by on our way to Acoustic Java to put name in and check out situation.  Parking in lot in back or park on street – But, you can’t keep car in lot while walking around.    cash/credit    From here it is a 15 minute walk from here to Historical Union Station.  

10:45 AM
     Union Station – historical landmark On the Blackstone Canal Historical Tour
    2 Washington Square
    10 minute walk from here to Wonder Bar

11:15 AM

Wonder Bar
    121 Shrewsbury Street, 508-752-9909
    Cash Only
    Beth called . . . they will hold tables for us if we call 4 days ahead
    10 minute walk back to cars parked near Boulevard Diner
    Then a 15 minute drive to Corner Grill

1:00 PM 
    Corner Grill
    806 Pleasant Street, 508-754-8884
    Beth called, they have very limited seating and they will not hold tables.  Hoping to get a menu ahead of time so we can call in order on the way.  May eat picnic style!
    15 minute drive from here to Museum

2:30 PM 
    Worcester Historical Museum
    30 Elm Street, 508-753-8278
    10 to 4pm, $5 entrance fee includes Salisbury Mansion at 40 Highland Street
    15 minute walk or 5 minute drive from Historical Museum to Mansion
    5 minute drive from Museum to George's Coney Island
    Karilyn spoke to Maria     They do not have walking maps so we’ll print some from museum to mansion, different route there and back, interesting architecture in neighborhood, plenty of parking

4:00 PM

George’s Coney Island
    158 Southbridge Street, 508-753-4362
    Cash only
    Karilyn spoke to Cathy who is very excited.  She said 4 is a good time – usually not too crowded.  Cash only.  There is street parking and a lot behind.  The alley way to the lot is to the right of the place, between them and the car place.
     10 minute drive to Wholly Cannoli from here

5:00 PM 
    Wholly Cannoli
    490 Grafton Street, 508-753-0224
    Beth will call to confirm the day of – should be no problem
    10 minute drive from here to Pupuseria LaSalvadorena

5:45PM

Pupuseria La Salvadorena
    82 Pleasant Street, 508-756-5586
    Cash Only,
    Salvadoran Food
    5 minute drive to Boynton Restaurant if interested
    They have not answered phone yet so we keep trying - hoping they will save us tables.

Due to timing we took the Boynton Restaurant off of the itinerary.  However, if anyone is interested in going, I highly recommend it.  I could be tempted!  They take reservations for parties of 8 or more. 

Boynton Restaurant
    17 Highland Street, 508756-8458

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone . . . anticipating a wonderful day!  karilyn and beth

Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com

• Total Posts: 24
      Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Wed, 05/9/12 6:25 PM (permalink)
      As a transplanted Massachusetts gal who is unable to attend this tour, I look forward to photos and commentary with eager anticipation! Especially because a number of stops are places I've wanted to check out AND some are ones I've never heard of since I moved out of the Bay State nearly 12 (!!) years ago. Have "a wicked good time"!

Beth / Mod Betty

karilyn

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Wed, 05/9/12 9:19 PM (permalink)
        Thanks for the good wishes . . . wish you could join us!

Heather is a definite YES . . . anyone else?

waltpiii

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Fri, 05/11/12 3:54 PM (permalink)
          Dense and I will join you. for part of the day.

karilyn

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Sat, 05/12/12 10:13 PM (permalink)
            Walt/Denise . . . . So glad you can join us!  Will you be at acoustic java? 

paulde

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Sun, 05/13/12 9:29 PM (permalink)
              See you all at the Boulevard.  I will be interested in the food stops.  Walking has been a problem lately so I will probably skip the museums and drive to the other places.  Hope to see you all Saturday.

Paul

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Mon, 05/14/12 2:04 AM (permalink)
                looking forward  to the comraderie, & the pizza (espescially!). Plus, I put in a special request with Gregg, to have us stop at the Mad Jack BBQ in Worcester, after the official tour ends.
                Need my beef rib fix, LOL..

I'm receiving gr8 Northampton hospitality this "mothers day" holiday weekend.  (tnx, Gregg!).   (super good fresh burger at Joe's Pizza) I feel like I'm at summer camp:)   .  And, gonna fly back up here for the Worcester meat up !  

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Mon, 05/14/12 7:38 AM (permalink)
                  Waltpiii and Paulde

Looking forward to seeing you again.

karilyn

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Wed, 05/16/12 10:40 AM (permalink)
                    WORCESTER INTINERARY UPDATE . . . . Less than 3 Days!!!
                    So far we have 15 attending with 4 additional maybes

8:00   Crown Bakery  133 Gold Star Blvd, 508-852-0746   cash/credit   parking
                    Karilyn reserved 4 Chocolate rolls with manager Jeanne – will pick up to share with anyone who doesn't make it here

8:45 AM     Acoustic Java – coffee         932 A Main Street, 508-756-9446
                    Beth called - they are letting us in early              10 minute drive to next stop

9:15   Boulevard Diner – breakfast   
                    155 Shrewsbury St, 508-791-4535            15 minute walk to Historical Union Station
                    Karilyn spoke with Lisa who will be there             cash/credit
                    Parking in lot in back or on street – can’t keep car in lot while walking but can if on street

10:45   Union Station – historical
                    On the Blackstone Canal Historical Tour,  2 Washington Square
                    10 minute walk to Wonder Bar

11:15   Wonder Bar   
                    121 Shrewsbury Street, 508-752-9909      Cash Only
                    10 minute walk back to car near Boulevard diner       15 minute drive to Corner Grill
                    Beth was able to get them to hold tables for us.

1:00  Corner Grill    Very limited seating.  Most likely will get pizzas to go.  
                    806 Pleasant Street, 508-754-8884      15 minute drive to Museum

2:30     Worcester Historical Museum     30 Elm Street, 508-753-8278
                    10 to 4pm, $5     part of entrance fee is Salisbury Mansion, 40 Highland Street
                    Salisbury Mansion, 40 Highland Street
                    15 minute walk or 5 minute drive from Historical Museum to Mansion
                    5 minute drive to Coney Island

4:00   George’s Coney Island
                    158 Southbridge Street, 508-753-4362    Cash only    
                    The alleyway to the parking lot is to the right of the place, between them and the car place.
                    10 minute drive to Wholly Cannoli

5:00     Wholly Cannoli
                    490 Grafton Street, 508-753-0224    5 minute drive to Sweet T Southern Kitchen

5:45    Sweet T Southern Kitchen 
                    35 Blackstone River Road      508-756-0100
                    Michaun is saving a table for 16 people for us

buffetbuster

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Wed, 05/16/12 11:19 AM (permalink)
                      What an itinerary!  Thanks so much to karilyn and Bethgrd for all organizing work they have done.  Mariton and I were just talking this morning how much we are looking forward to this weekend.  We can't wait!

wheregreggeats.com

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Wed, 05/16/12 12:42 PM (permalink)
                        Looking forward to it ... thanks to karilyn an Beth.
                        Looking forward to seeing some old RF friends and some new ones too !!!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Wed, 05/16/12 6:46 PM (permalink)
                          Looking forward to it- looks like I'll be bringing Mike only, his wife won't be able to make it.

karilyn

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Thu, 05/17/12 6:40 AM (permalink)
                            We've learned from the best . . . THANK YOU!!!  B and A

Scouted out places to sit near Corner Grille if there are no tables when we get there.  Close by there is a church with lots of steps in front . . . further up the street is a park with benches.  Weather looks fabulous so dining al fresco is possible!

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                              Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Fri, 05/18/12 2:38 AM (permalink)
                              Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. my first wife was from Lancaster and i liked the area.

bethgrd

• Total Posts: 320
                                Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Fri, 05/18/12 4:48 PM (permalink)
                                Can't wait to taste those chocolate rolls!! thanks karilyn for spearheading this.

buffetbuster

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Sat, 05/19/12 5:15 AM (permalink)
                                  If you are headed for Worcester this morning, take a second and notice today's Roadfood restaurant of the day. Coincidence? I think not!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few hours.

karilyn

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Sat, 05/19/12 6:53 AM (permalink)
                                    I just saw that - how strange!!!  Beth and Heather are picking me up soon . . . we may have time to swing by that address.  I spent days trying to reach them and finally got a completely different business.  My money says they are closed!

See you very soon . . . so excited for the wonderful day we will have!  I've been eating salad most of the week getting ready!!

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Sat, 05/19/12 11:30 AM (permalink)
                                      Someone posted on Yelp a few days ago that they are "closed until further notice." If you guys do swing by, please let us know if that is true!

buffetbuster

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Sun, 05/20/12 11:34 PM (permalink)
                                        Bruce, that is what the sign said when we drove by on Saturday.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Mon, 05/21/12 6:49 AM (permalink)
                                          What a nice day.
                                          Great seeing/meeting everyone.
                                          Thanks again to karilyn and Beth.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Mon, 05/21/12 7:13 AM (permalink)
                                            A big thank you to Karilyn and Beth for putting together a fantastic event this past Saturday. Kudos to  Karilyn put together a detailed  itinerary packet for everyone .

I had a great time and it was good to expose my friend Mike to the Roadfood culture even if its only for a day, it was great to see everyone again. The adventures continued into yesterday spending the morning in Quincy with Buffetbuster & Mariton and  additionally, the afternoon in Cambridge with Ralph Melton and his lovely bride, Ice Cream Chick and the Chris half of Ayersian.

karilyn

Re:BOSTON AREA WORCESTER DAY OF EATING: SAT. MAY 19, 2012 ITINERARY Mon, 05/21/12 6:47 PM (permalink)
                                              It takes a village!!!  Thanks to everyone for making it a wonderful day . . . . mother nature included!  We could not have had better weather after so many days of rain.  I hope all of the travelers got home safe.  Thank you for making the effort to come to Worcester!!!  

I'm actually heading back to Worcester tomorrow night.  Possibly a meal at Via or Boynton before seeing Joan Rivers at The Hanover Theater.  Maybe dessert at Sweet!   Worcester . . . . so many places . . . so little time!

Looking forward to the next Roadfood adventure . . . . 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 53 of 53

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com