The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Starling Diner, Long Beach, California

mar52

• Total Posts: 7596
Starling Diner, Long Beach, California Thu, 03/8/12 6:11 PM (permalink)
After seeing a spot on eating breakfasts around Long Beach, California I knew that I had to visit...

Starling Diner
4114 E. 3rd Street Long Beach, CA 90814
(562) 433-2041

http://starlingdiner.com/menu.htm

I was not disappointed.

What a cute place.  It's in the middle of a residential neighborhood and I'm sure the locals eat there often.

We began our meal with an order of freshly made scones.  They were small and served with a container of lemon curd and marmelade butter.  The perfect start to our meal.  The scones were 3 inch triangles, crispy on the outside and soft in the center.  Fantastic!  Could have used a bit more lemon curd which I'm sure they would have been delighted to give us.  The waitress was so on top of things that I thought maybe she was the owner.

I was intrigued with the description of their French Toast:

Broiled San Francisco Stuffed Toast
Have you ever tried French toast stuffed with creamy Mascarpone and Crème Fraiche? We love it. It’s French Toast like you’ve never had it before. Not only is it beautiful to view but you’re stomach will click its heels with glee. We broil instead of frying it-which gives the flavor a deeper dimension. You have your choice of custom tailored toppings:
 Fresh Seasonal Berries and Whipped Cream 
Caramelized Apples in Brandy Butter  

I ordered the caramelized apples in brandy butter and was not disappointed.

The French Toast was artfully placed on a triangular plate enhancing its appearance.  It was amazing!

The first thing I noticed was it was a baguette rather than sliced bread.  The cream filling must have been injected with one of those meat injectors or something similar.  There was just a small amount down the center.  Not over powering at all.

The apples were in a tart sauce that worked perfectly with the sweetness of the bread and richness of the whipped cream.  It was wonderful from start to finish.

My neighbor ordered one of the scrambled egg dishes which wasn't worth photographing.

BUT...  What they served with their egg dishes is what they call, Polenta potatoes.  You know I had to taste them.

These were sliced pan fried potatoes mixed with creamy potenta and cheese.  Talk about comfort food!  Only think it needed was a sprinkling of salt and pepper.

Those of you that sell breakfasts...  You've got to put these on your menu!  It was a very even mix of the potatoes and polenta.  Creamy deliciousness.

This restaurant is not convenient to where I live, but I'll be returning and ordering the exact same meal... over and over again.  It was that good. 

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
    Re:Starling Diner, Long Beach, California Fri, 03/9/12 4:03 PM (permalink)
    The polenta potatoes look really good and I saw some other interesting items on the menu.

The name seems kind of odd, though, as the starling is generally considered to be an undesirable bird.  Which reminds me...this weekend I need to block off their nesting area under my garage eaves!

MiamiDon

Re:Starling Diner, Long Beach, California Sat, 03/17/12 9:22 AM (permalink)
      Looks delicious!

catosaurus

Re:Starling Diner, Long Beach, California Sat, 03/17/12 11:48 AM (permalink)
        Thanks for the info!  Great photos, and yummy descriptions.  (And I like starlings.  They get a bad rap, as birds go, just because they're really good at surviving.  They make some very interesting sounds, and are good mimics.  Myna birds are a variety of starling.)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com