The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants

wheregreggeats.com

~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Mon, 03/12/12 8:05 AM (permalink)

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
    Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Mon, 03/12/12 10:53 AM (permalink)
    Not being a huge fan of Chinese cuisine (which Mrs. Metro refuses to eat) I was surprised to see two places I have eaten - and enjoyed very much - on the list:  Peking Gourmet Inn, Falls Church, VA and First Chinese BBQ, their Plano, TX location.

As Mrs. Metro is presently overseas visiting her parents, I think First Chinese BBQ sounds good for lunch.  Thanks for the list!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
      Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Mon, 03/12/12 12:23 PM (permalink)
      I have been to First Chinese BBQ - I think that very location with twinwillow. It is excellent - and, most assuredly, authentic.

mamaduck43

• Total Posts: 184
        Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Mon, 03/12/12 1:21 PM (permalink)
        No surprises here - - - Wisconsin didn't even make the list......  Sheesh.....

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4724
          Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Mon, 03/12/12 1:53 PM (permalink)
          mamaduck43

No surprises here - - - Wisconsin didn't even make the list......  Sheesh.....

That's OK.  We'll do better on the 50 Best Lutefisk Restaurants list.

werewolf

• Total Posts: 8
            Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Wed, 07/4/12 12:14 PM (permalink)
            First one on the list is in Chandler (southern  Phoenix) AZ on Dobson.   I've never been to that one but Dobson Avenue extending north has very excellent Asian restaurants.  My favorite Chinese places on Dobson are ACE (Asian Cafe Express) and Best Hong Kong.  There are more too, and very good Viet places too, and an excellent Korean place too.   The Phoenix area has excellent Asian restaurants, but as far as I know Tucson only has one good Chinese restaurant and one good Viet restaurant.
            <message edited by werewolf on Wed, 07/4/12 12:18 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
              Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Wed, 07/4/12 5:40 PM (permalink)
              werewolf

First one on the list is in Chandler (southern  Phoenix) AZ on Dobson.   I've never been to that one but Dobson Avenue extending north has very excellent Asian restaurants.  My favorite Chinese places on Dobson are ACE (Asian Cafe Express) and Best Hong Kong.  There are more too, and very good Viet places too, and an excellent Korean place too.   The Phoenix area has excellent Asian restaurants, but as far as I know Tucson only has one good Chinese restaurant and one good Viet restaurant.

That Section of the Valley has a large Asian population and quite a few excellent Asian places as you mentioned. Another one is C Fu Gourmet. http://www.cfugourmet.com/Dining.html

werewolf

• Total Posts: 8
                Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Thu, 07/5/12 12:33 AM (permalink)
                Is C-Fu still popular?  I haven't been there in years.  I remember getting stir fried ostrich there...and I see it's still on the menu!  As I recall it tasted like beef.
                <message edited by werewolf on Thu, 07/5/12 12:35 AM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
                  Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Thu, 07/5/12 12:58 AM (permalink)
                  werewolf

Is C-Fu still popular?  I haven't been there in years.  I remember getting stir fried ostrich there...and I see it's still on the menu!  As I recall it tasted like beef.

Far as I know it's still popular. Haven't been there in a little while. I think it changed hands recently and now also has entertainment. Used to be just Traditional Upscale Chinese. Many Chinese couples have their Wedding receptions there.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                    Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Thu, 07/5/12 12:59 AM (permalink)
                    Our regular Thursday lunch gang at First Chinese BBQ will be in session as usual tomorrow at 1:00PM sharp, 4/5/2012. Going on 25 years now. Originally started by three of us, we now have anywhere from 5-10 guy's any given Thursday.
                    First Chinese BBQ. 111 South Greenville Avenue at Polk Street. Richardson, Texas. 
                    Just remember to bring CASH! THEY ACCEPT NO CREDIT CARDS! The average tab runs
                    $10.00-$12.00 per person. Including tax and tip!
                    http://www.firstchinesebbq.com
                    <message edited by Twinwillow on Thu, 07/5/12 1:16 AM>

Twinwillow

Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Thu, 07/5/12 1:05 AM (permalink)
                      MetroplexJim

Not being a huge fan of Chinese cuisine (which Mrs. Metro refuses to eat) I was surprised to see two places I have eaten - and enjoyed very much - on the list:  Peking Gourmet Inn, Falls Church, VA and First Chinese BBQ, their Plano, TX location.

As Mrs. Metro is presently overseas visiting her parents, I think First Chinese BBQ sounds good for lunch.  Thanks for the list!

Jim, see my post. You're invited to join us any Thursday!

Twinwillow

Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Thu, 07/5/12 1:07 AM (permalink)
                        The Travelin Man

I have been to First Chinese BBQ - I think that very location with twinwillow. It is excellent - and, most assuredly, authentic.

You're always welcome to join us when you're in Dallas. It would be nice to see you again.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                          Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Mon, 10/7/13 9:58 AM (permalink)
                          My wife and I went to one of the places on the list (R&G Lounge San Francisco) just by blind luck.  I did think it was very good though maybe not as great as I had hoped a Chinese restaurant in San Francisco would be.  I think it is like trying to find great Indian food in London.  There are just too many choices.  Anyways, only after I ordered did I notice the table next to us had the salt and pepper crab that is mentioned on this list.  It did look great though maybe more than I wanted to eat and spend for lunch.

Twinwillow

Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Mon, 10/7/13 12:28 PM (permalink)
                            The Travelin Man

I had another look at the list posted by wheregreggeats.com and the First Chinese BBQ listed is in Austin. (A branch of the original). We ate at the original (and best) in Richardson, Texas. Still cash only. However, the Austin branch does take credit cards. Probably easier that way for the owner to keep tabs on the incoming revenue.

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                              Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Wed, 10/16/13 7:30 AM (permalink)
                              "I suggest ......"

Gee - 1st posting.  Why am I suspicious?

Is spam part of the Chinese cuisine?
                              <message edited by mjambro on Wed, 10/16/13 7:31 AM>

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Wed, 10/16/13 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                mjambro

"I suggest ......"

Gee - 1st posting.  Why am I suspicious?

Is spam part of the Chinese cuisine?

C'mon man, it's LukeWilson - Owen's younger brother! 

Welcome to Roadfood, Luke; loved you in that movie with Uma Thurman playing a neurotic superhero!

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                                  Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Wed, 10/30/13 10:01 AM (permalink)
                                  I'll have to ask my sister if she and any of her friends have tried the places in New York.
                                  As far as Texas goes, I see both places are in Austin.  Only way i could try them is on a weekend. Would just have to settle for local places during the week,though I do like the dimsum at Golden Wok over on Gardendale and Wurzbach in San Antonio.

McBane

• Total Posts: 2
                                    Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Tue, 11/19/13 10:48 AM (permalink)
                                    Han Dynasty in Philly is worth the hype. It's amazing, especially if you like spicy. But that doesn't mean that someone who can't handle heat won't find anything to eat there, either. Make sure to get the following:

- Dan Dan Noodles
                                    - Cold Sesame Noodles
                                    - Wonton Soup
                                    - Double Cooked Fish

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
                                      Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Thu, 12/5/13 12:49 PM (permalink)
                                      McBane

Han Dynasty in Philly is worth the hype. It's amazing, especially if you like spicy. But that doesn't mean that someone who can't handle heat won't find anything to eat there, either. Make sure to get the following:

- Dan Dan Noodles
                                      - Cold Sesame Noodles
                                      - Wonton Soup
                                      - Double Cooked Fish

There are a few locations, one here in South Jersey now, and I've been wanting to go there for awhile now. Just to try the cold sesame noodles is incentive enough for me (I like to make my own with a peanut sauce). 

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3572
                                        Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Thu, 12/5/13 2:10 PM (permalink)
                                        Newport Kang Seafood in San Gabriel has been one of my favorite places for years. Great lunches-----for about $7.00 you can get a WHOLE deep fried or steamed tilapia with several different types of sauce. Yum! They are definitely on the mark with that. I'm not familiar with the other places, but there are so many good Chinese places IN CA that a 50 best for CA only wouldn't even dent the surface.

ClaudeColeman5

• Total Posts: 2
                                          Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Fri, 03/28/14 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                          Hello,
                                          Thats really nice but in Jerusalem, Israel many Chinese  restaurants is here which is also very nice and boutique hotel in Jerusalem ( americancolony.com ) which is awesome place for you.
                                          <message edited by ClaudeColeman5 on Fri, 03/28/14 9:44 AM>

chickenplucker

• Total Posts: 160
                                            Re:~ CNN on the 50 Best Chinese Restaurants Fri, 03/28/14 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                            Number 17, Tasty China in Marietta,Ga is very good although service can be spotty. If the menu says something is hot you better be warned. Their spicy dishes are really good but will numb the senses....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com