The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Concession Trailer Build with intro

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 131
kingofcreams

• Total Posts: 111
Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Mon, 04/30/12 9:34 AM (permalink)
This is a low proximity back shelf type hood. I covered that in the thread already and is covered in other peoples builds as well.

Thank you though :)
mikejames533

chefbuba

Couldn't you get that tank between the beams??....That looks like an accident waiting to happen.
I also would have plumbed the waste directly into the tank, if your just a bit out of level on the one side, your going to have problems draining........

+1  I see problems ahead with tank and plumbing. And I think your hood will need raised or it will be a pain in the back and neck to work!

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Mon, 04/30/12 9:51 AM (permalink)
    I agree on the straps. It's been in the back of my mind that this is something i'm gonna have to come back to. I did use unistrut and rod when I hung the waste tank in my ice cream truck so that maybe the route I go or I'll use 1" steel flat and form it to the tank. The strut will add some depth thus giving me less clearance. I'll have to explore this more.

THE WILD DOG

you are gonna wanna re-think the straps used to hold that waste tank, it WILL NOT hold and you will be hating life... Reese & I both used a threaded rod and uni-strut to support the tank. Check out his build thread for a picture.

AWESOME job on the equipment flanges, I will be using these on my griddle stand, I't been moving around a bit and that is the LAST thing I want moving with my $3000 griddle on it.   MOFOOD you can get them at any Lowes & HD's in the plumbing section where the gas fittings are.

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Mon, 04/30/12 9:53 AM (permalink)
      Definately easier and less time consuming than what I did. I'd be curious to see the cost difference in these vs a floor flange. Also, if anyone does buy these it looks like you'd need a longer set screw to dig into the legs. I used 1"  screws in my floor flanges

Dr of BBQ

Before you buy anything to anchor your equipment to the floor or stainless steel tables check this site out:
      http://www.wagnercompanie...name=article&rpid=
      HEAVY BASE FLANGE WITH SET SCREW AND TWO HOLES  in Steel, Aluminum, Stainless, Brass, Bronze.

But give the credit to Marco he found them and sent the link to me.
      jack

mofood

• Total Posts: 117
        Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Tue, 05/1/12 2:03 AM (permalink)
        More good info on this thread! I saw that waste tank at the damaged freight place I frequent. I b interested to know if was shipped from Utah. I wanted to use it, just coudnt make it work.

I love uninstrut too. Didn't use it, but I will on another build.

Backshelf hoods are the $&!@ for mobile applications king. I'm on board.

Still liking the build, nice job. And good suggestions and knowledge from this thead.

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Tue, 05/1/12 2:46 PM (permalink)
          Thanks Mo. This far along and as tired as I am positivity is the only thing keeping me in the game.
          So, here are some more pics.

Got my LED lights and wanted to see how well they'd light up the trailer before going thru the hassle of installing conduit so I just duct taped them to the ceiling first. At first when I got them I just hooked up one light and I was dissapointed and stressed out that my plan for lighting wasn't going to work out. My goal with this build is be as self sufficient as possible. There will be pics with lights on and off so you can see how well they light.

So, after hanging all 6 of them (at first I was just gonna put 4 inside and 2 outside, Ill have to get 2 more for outside) I was well pleased with the brightness and couldn't be happier with them. So I installed them in wiremold conduit for a clean look. I know I have an excess of pics but I took em dang it so I'm posting them.

After I installed the lights and wiremold, I clipped the end wires on the light fixtures flush with the housing and put a dab of silicone over the wires.

The following pics are of my propane cylinder platform build. I am not a welder, don't have a welder, have only welded in a welding class I took as part of my HVAC education 15 years ago so I didn't want to have to train myself to weld and spend a bunch of time doing that. Actually this took long enough though. I just bolted angle iron to the trailer frame and tongue, cut and installed 1/8" steel sheet and built on top of that.

the straps I made are just 1" steel flats that I formed to the tank then drilled holes in the ends to attach the hardware

installed an outdoor light and switch inside

here I came off the outlet I had installed months ago to feed an electrical outlet under my sink cabinet to power the batter charger / converter. I came off the load side of the GFCI so that the outlet under the sink was gfi protected as well. The wiring just went under the door to the right about 3 feet then up through the floor. I used watertight conduit and fittings.

Heres the outlet under the sink with the intellipower charger / converter

Got my 18" deep x 72" long stainless work table last night so I put it together and put in place along with the 24" wide x 12" deep stainless wall shelf. Plus the trailer is clean and my wire shelving is visible as well. Above the sinks I installed NSF approved for wet locations wire shelving for my wares drying. I'm getting closer now people. Cant wait for this to be done. I recieved my propane regulator so that'll be next then probably rehang the waste tank and install another window in the rear door to be a pick up window then I should be ready to schedule the inspection.

<message edited by kingofcreams on Tue, 05/1/12 2:52 PM>

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Tue, 05/1/12 4:14 PM (permalink)
            Looks very good. You've put in a ton of work and it looks as though you spared no expense. A big congratulations to you buddy. Good job. By the way I'm glad you posted all the pictures. LOL
            jack

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1951
              Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Tue, 05/1/12 8:24 PM (permalink)
              I'll remember to not open up this post on my phone.....It will take forever to download those pics!.
              Looks good...... Couple of things to consider..... Battery may need to be in a seperate or sealed compartment.....and some entity may have a problem with propane tank placement, they like to sse them on the tounge, also dicey with clearance when you have to jack knife  that thing to get it into the space you have to put it.

PurpleCheetah

• Total Posts: 151
                Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Tue, 05/1/12 9:22 PM (permalink)
                Looks great KoC you have done a tremendous amount of work in such a short time it seems....and it looks great I am jealous!!!! I'll get there some day. Question for you? are your led lights mounted on a strip or bracket or are they loose and you made a bracket for them?

Thanks

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Wed, 05/2/12 12:10 PM (permalink)
                  The battery container had crossed my mind. I should get one just in case. I know the electrical inspector won't care but the HD might. You know I never even considered the clearance when backing up. Good point though. I had been thinking about a trailer dolly for getting into tight spaces. I really only have a couple events that will be tight. You or anyone else ever used a dolly and how well do they work??

If there would be an issue with the tank it would probably come from DOT. There's no way I can mount it on the tongue now as my propane fired hot water heater is installed right to the left of the spare tire holder. If height is an issue I could just add about 4 inches to the platform to get it the same height as the top of the tongue.

chefbuba

I'll remember to not open up this post on my phone.....It will take forever to download those pics!.
                  Looks good...... Couple of things to consider..... Battery may need to be in a seperate or sealed compartment.....and some entity may have a problem with propane tank placement, they like to sse them on the tounge, also dicey with clearance when you have to jack knife  that thing to get it into the space you have to put it.

<message edited by kingofcreams on Wed, 05/2/12 12:52 PM>

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Wed, 05/2/12 12:43 PM (permalink)
                    Thanks cheetah, youll get there for sure. Actually I've been at this since then end of November. If I could have devoted 50 hours a week to this It wouldn't have taken me so long. Anyway, what I did is I used picture hanging strips made by 3M on the light fixtures and I placed the ends of the fixtures (sometimes only 1 end) inside the wiremold about a 1/4" to hold it in place. I used the picture hanging strips cause u can remove them with no residue and I've used velcro in my ice cream truck and the heat causes it to fail. Even if the strips fail the fixtures are still being held in place by the wiremold except at the ends. If this is an issue I'll install wiremold clamps on the ends of the fixtures. It should be noted that there is two sizes of wire mold conduit and I am using the larger of the two as that is what menards carries. The light fixtures are pretty thin though and I think they'd fit inside the smaller wiremold as well.Menards also carries a plastic round conduit made by wire mold and that would be much easier to cut.
                    PurpleCheetah

Looks great KoC you have done a tremendous amount of work in such a short time it seems....and it looks great I am jealous!!!! I'll get there some day. Question for you? are your led lights mounted on a strip or bracket or are they loose and you made a bracket for them?

Thanks

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Wed, 05/2/12 12:51 PM (permalink)
                      Installed the propane regulator last night inbetween rain showers. Pretty strait forward. This is the regulator I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120895649123&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160

It's a integral two stage with an output of up to 350,000 BTU/hr. You'll notice I installed a shut off valve upstream of the regulator. I just did it cause 1) why not  and this way when changing or refilling tank I won't lose gas pressure in the line and have to bleed off air. Plus if I decide to remove the tank in the offseason to prevent theft keeping the valve off will prevent anything (critter, moisture) from getting into the regulator and piping (moisture) as the line will remain charged.

kman160

• Total Posts: 160
                        Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Thu, 05/3/12 8:22 AM (permalink)
                        trailers dollies are the nutz. I use mine all the time especially for backing the smoker in the garage.

PurpleCheetah

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Thu, 05/3/12 9:43 PM (permalink)
                          I have a couple questions, If I were to build a cage like this type to hold my 2-100lb tanks:
                          1. would it be ok to use aluminum angle and tube? ( it is easier to drill and cut than roll steel for me )
                          2. How did you shape the flat bar to the tank? ( good old fashion hold against and bend with all your might?)
                          3. What type of pad could I place under the tank to give it a little cushion? ( would weather stripping work around the bottom rim of tank and between the flat bar and tank body?)

I plan to mount them on my existing bumper, not directly on but just a hair above and bracketed to my outer back doors that and now permanently closed.

any advise or comments is greatly appreciated.
                          Thanks

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Fri, 05/4/12 9:47 AM (permalink)
                            Cheetah,
                            Just some thoughts of mine from looking at your pics that I would probably do if I had what you had to work with.
                            I would mount my propane tanks on the elevated portions of the bumber on each side of the door. The diameter of the 100 pound tanks is just under 15" if I remember right from last week. I'm not sure how far your bumber comes out but if it doesn't come out that far then you could just get some peices of of like 1/4" steel plate and fasten that to your bumber then put the tanks on the plate. On the side walls of your truck then you could get some 1" angle iron about 36" long and attach those pieces on each side of the tank and then make straps the same way I did.
                            The flat bar is SUPER easy to form and yes I just layed the tank down, put the flat against the tank and pushed down. Minimal effort.
                            If you go alumimum you angle you'll need structural alluminum. The steel they sell at Menards though is not some crazy industrial stuff. It's strong but not super thick so if you have a hack saw you can cut it that way or a saws all or a angle grinder with cutting wheel.(thats what I used)
                            For the platform, what I did is used a spray on rubber sealant. After dried it is VERY durable. This way I don't get the metal to metal contact and scraping then rusting. Its nasty stuff when wet but makes a very nice barrier. They sell this at Menards as well. You could also get rubber sheet like 3/16 of an inch or so to place on the bottom if you want.

Hope I helped some.
                            <message edited by kingofcreams on Fri, 05/4/12 10:17 AM>

PurpleCheetah

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Fri, 05/4/12 3:20 PM (permalink)
                              "Hope I helped some"

Yes very much so thanks a lot your great !!!! my risen bumper ends measure 11.5" so I do need the plate on bottom cut larger but you got me on the right track thanks again

Keep up the good work

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Fri, 05/4/12 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                PC if you didn't remove your door hinge (assuming you removed the doors). The bottom hinge would make a perfect place to use a strap to go around your tanks. Although I'm uncertain how you'd connect it and to what on the other side. There is a guy here in town that just built a food truck and he used heavy straps (like a tow strap) to mount his tanks, and I thought it was a good idea because it won't scratch up your propane tank and his were very tight. He may have used a ratchet type 2 inch strap on his tanks. Just a thought.

PurpleCheetah

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Sun, 05/6/12 12:41 AM (permalink)
                                  Thanks DoB I will look at ratchet straps tomorrow when I go out. I know walmart has them to I got a few from there already, I plan to used the ratchet straps to strap my equipment to the stands while the truck is in transit. Since the stands will be bolted to the floor, they won't move but the equipment might especially with my driving.

I am building the frames for the tank tomorrow, wish me luck !!!

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Fri, 05/11/12 3:01 PM (permalink)
                                    So I built the awning door for my serving window but did not document the steps in building it sorry.

My question is to those who have awnings like this. How much clearance do you have between the door and the window when the door is closed like in the pic above? I have like 1/2" and am unsure if a gas support lift will fit.

Thanks

Bistro a go-go

• Total Posts: 171
                                      Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Sun, 05/27/12 4:57 PM (permalink)
                                      what are the white things holding on frp? also where did you get the corner sheet metal?

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Tue, 05/29/12 1:10 PM (permalink)
                                        Bistro a go-go

what are the white things holding on frp? also where did you get the corner sheet metal?

What you are asking about are 1/4" plastic pin rivets. I got them at Menards cause at the time Home Depot didn't have them available when I got the frp from them. I complained to them and told them that the manufacturer of the FRP they are selling recommends installing with both FRP adhesive and the plastic pin rivets. He told me he never saw it installed that way and referred me to Fastenal. Well I already knew Menards had them but wanted this to be a one stop shop. I gotta tell ya, my complaint worked cause I was just in Home Depot like 2 weeks ago and BAM they now stock and sell them. :)

If you have followed my thread you know that I installed adhesive the first time with a crappy wall covering product then ripped it all out then re did it with good FRP. Well when I put the good stuff up I only used plastic pin riveys and no adhesive and it looks and works great. No sagging or bubbling of any kind and much easier than applying adhesive.

The corner metal you see on the interior walls is like .050 aluminium that was installed as a finished product when I bought the trailer new. I saved it for reinstall and reused. The reason they used it is cause in the front of the trailer the corners are rounded so this was easier than rounding out some sheet metal and in the rear there is trailer wiring running behind it. A sheet metal shop could easily bend some of the stuff for you if you wanted it. My local sheet metal shop stocks all gauges of aluminum and stainless.

Just an update to my post:
                                        I had my state of MN electrical inspection done last week and past with flying colors. He said we was impressed!! :) :) :)
                                        I also had my state of MN Health Inspection done and also past with flying colors. :) Felt soooooooooo good getting that out of the way let me tell you guys!!!

I had a practice run on some food over the weekend for my sons birthday party and it was hectic and I learned alot as to where I need to improve in terms of quality first and speed second.  My first event of the season is in less than 2 weeks.

PurpleCheetah

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Thu, 05/31/12 6:31 PM (permalink)
                                          "Just an update to my post:
                                          I had my state of MN electrical inspection done last week and past with flying colors. He said we was impressed!! :) :) :)
                                          I also had my state of MN Health Inspection done and also past with flying colors. :) Felt soooooooooo good getting that out of the way let me tell you guys!!!

I had a practice run on some food over the weekend for my sons birthday party and it was hectic and I learned alot as to where I need to improve in terms of quality first and speed second.  My first event of the season is in less than 2 weeks."

Great to hear that I am so happy for you....you have worked your azzz off and your build is quite impressive, good luck to you.

fatOlady

• Total Posts: 5
                                            Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Sun, 06/3/12 1:41 AM (permalink)
                                            I'm going to add another deep cycle battery so i'll have more capacity and then Im going to get a Charge Wizard by Intellipower and keep that hooked up to the batteries so that the batteries will always be charged.
                                            Hi Kingofcreams,
                                            I am a newbe, can you explain what this (above) means and why you are doing this? Will your trailer run off batteries or is this to supply electricity to your freezers and fridge at night? How will you charge them?

Thanks

Pablo73

• Total Posts: 7
                                              Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Fri, 06/8/12 12:19 AM (permalink)
                                              Very nice build !!!

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Fri, 06/8/12 8:45 AM (permalink)
                                                fatOlady

I'm going to add another deep cycle battery so i'll have more capacity and then Im going to get a Charge Wizard by Intellipower and keep that hooked up to the batteries so that the batteries will always be charged.
                                                Hi Kingofcreams,
                                                I am a newbe, can you explain what this (above) means and why you are doing this? Will your trailer run off batteries or is this to supply electricity to your freezers and fridge at night? How will you charge them?

Thanks

I actually wont be adding a second battery as one will work just fine. At the time I posted this I wasn't totally informed as to the operation of this Charge Wizard as I had never used one.
                                                So, you understand... My lighting, exhaust hood fan, water heater (for propane ignition) and water supply pump to my sink faucets are all 12vdc (battery power). I installed a deep cycle marine battery to supply power to this equipment. I wanted a hassle free way to charge this battery so decided I'd install a Charge Wizard to keep it charged. After I looked more into the Charge Wizard I learned that not only does it monitor and charge my battery, ( 3 different charging modes based on output of battery) but it also suppies 12 volt power so that a battery really isn't needed at all but it must be supplied with 120v house aka shore power in order to convert to 12vdc power. In other words this Charge Wizard is a battery monitor/charger/converter. Having the battery installed allows you to still have lights, water, hot water, exaust fan in the event of a power outage or circuit breaker trip and your so busy (at least ya hope ;) ) that you cant break away to reset the breaker thats 75 feet from your rig. (happens more often than I'd like) Let me know if your still confused or you have any other questions.

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Fri, 06/8/12 8:46 AM (permalink)
                                                  Pablo73

Very nice build !!!

Thanks Pablo!

WILLIGOODZ

• Total Posts: 2
                                                    Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Fri, 06/8/12 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                                    hi I am new to this forum and I just purchased a 7/14 concession trailer and  I am really having a hard time trying to figure out what size generator do i need .

kingofcreams

Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Wed, 06/13/12 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                                      WILLIGOODZ

hi I am new to this forum and I just purchased a 7/14 concession trailer and  I am really having a hard time trying to figure out what size generator do i need .

What will you have in it? The name plate on equipment usually gives you the voltage and amperage of the appliance so if you multiply voltage times amperage you'll get your watts. Ex: a food warmer at 115 volts that draws 9.5 amps will use 1092.5 watts. you need to add the wattage for all your equipment and then figure on going bigger than that total for your generator. Maybe 10% bigger? I'm not sure.

Wagon

• Total Posts: 3
                                                        Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Thu, 08/30/12 4:54 PM (permalink)
                                                        I am just starting to accumulate equipment etc. for my build but would be interested in how you framed and built your concession door.  I have looked for aluminum extrusion to frame but have yet to hook up anywhere.  I like your door...can you give a little detail.
                                                        Thanks

Dr of BBQ

• Location: Springfield, IL
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Thu, 08/30/12 7:17 PM (permalink)
                                                          Wagon the last post on this thread was in June I'm sure he is out working every day. Maybe you'd like to start a thread of your own.
                                                          good luck
                                                          jack

Wagon

• Total Posts: 3
                                                            • Location: Omaha, NE
                                                            Re:Concession Trailer Build with intro Fri, 08/31/12 8:47 AM (permalink)
                                                            kingofcreams

So I built the awning door for my serving window but did not document the steps in building it sorry.

My question is to those who have awnings like this. How much clearance do you have between the door and the window when the door is closed like in the pic above? I have like 1/2" and am unsure if a gas support lift will fit.

Thanks

Hi KOC...
                                                            I've really enjoyed reading and watching your progress.  I've owned an RV dealership, enjoy metal fabrication and enjoy the build.  I have a little hesitation with the concession door.  Not so much the cut but trimming, etc.  Would you mind telling me what aluminum extrusion you used for the framing, etc?  Also, can you give a littel detail on the door construction process?  Nice looking kitchen!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 131

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com