The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best Pizza in Syracuse

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
Best Pizza in Syracuse Fri, 04/27/12 1:48 PM (permalink)
It's an Italian laden city. High quality Italian restaurants abound. If the restaurant can't keep up, it closes. Even venerable ones like Aunt Josie's can't avoid fatality if the quality doesn't keep up with high standards. An average restaurant in my hometown of Syracuse, would be among the top places here in DC. So, to be the top in Syracuse...you've got to be doing it right at a high level.

And pizza in CNY, is another measuring stick. From the pizza in restaurants to the pizza in just plain ol' pizza shops. There's a whole culture of pizza in Syracuse. And the best?... Well, it's a hotly contested debate - divided by the very neighborhoods people live and work. The high school you attended, might very well be an indicator as to which pizza place, you think, makes the best.

So, a study was done...and not a bad study to be a part of I would guess, to seek the truth. Who has the best cheese pizza (just plain old who makes the best basic pie), and who has the best "specialty" pizza (the odd man out. the pie that defines the restaurant)?

I wish they had chosen a best overall, but alas, I can agree with their choice for cheese pizza. I've been to the downtown location since I was a kid. In the old days, it was located in the heart of the busy department store shopping district. A slice of pizza at Pavone's, and then a dark chocolate covered pretzel from Fanny Farmer's, capped off what would've been a boring day to an 8 year old, who spent the day trailing his mom through the racks of the multi-floored department stores - a gigantic maze of racks, kiosks, and escalators. Today, Pavone's is almost standing all by itself among the empty old giants and littered street. And yet, it remains, with LONG lunchtime lines from workers walking a few blocks away from the safety of their office buildings. No doubt, because the quality of the dough, sauce and cheese is too much to ignore when the lunchtime stomach begins to growl.

Anyways, here's the full story, of the best pizza in an Italian town:
 Syracuse's Best Pizza

<message edited by Scorereader on Fri, 04/27/12 1:51 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17823
    Re:Best Pizza in Syracuse Fri, 04/27/12 2:03 PM (permalink)
    Terrific. Good to see you posting again.

Scorereader

Re:Best Pizza in Syracuse Fri, 04/27/12 3:38 PM (permalink)
      Thank you Michael! I've been lurking, and posting a little. We'll see if I can keep up the good foodie posts.

I have a post for Chubby's from (embarrassingly) last summer I have got to get up - especially now that travel season is upon us. It was before my weight loss of 50lbs, so I'm not happy with the pics of me, but I owe Tom that at least!

My experience there was great.

I should add, on my weight loss (which is still going) I haven't dined at too many roadfood places...and certainly have not had a slice of pizza since last August. So, not much to report on. But, I do eat an obscene amount of Buffalo wings. Maybe its time to report on that. I'll call that posting "Wings Over DC!"

Thanks again!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17823
        Re:Best Pizza in Syracuse Fri, 04/27/12 4:03 PM (permalink)
        Glad to know you're OK. Sorry to hear you had to put up with Tom, though. Perhaps you should have gone to your favorite Waffle House instead.

Yankeedoodle

• Total Posts: 15
          Re:Best Pizza in Syracuse Wed, 05/9/12 5:43 AM (permalink)
          How about Kostas in east syracuse...stopped there a few years ago and had a sausage pie. Thought it was fairly good.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
            Re:Best Pizza in Syracuse Thu, 05/10/12 7:54 PM (permalink)
            The winning place for specialty pizza, Mario & Salvo's, is a short drive down the street from me. It's my favorite place, but I haven't tried their winning pie yet. If it's as good as their cheese pie, I know I won't be disappointed.

sonjaab

• Total Posts: 193
              Re:Best Pizza in Syracuse Mon, 01/14/13 10:44 PM (permalink)
              Twin Trees is still the best IMO !
              With sausage and mushrooms well done please!
              Johnnys on Genesee St ain't bad either for the flat pizza stuff.
              His family ran the pizza operation at the old Suburban Park...........

Scorereader

Re:Best Pizza in Syracuse Tue, 01/15/13 1:09 AM (permalink)
                Twin Trees is unique. And totally Syracuse. I loved it when I was there. But, it's not NY Style, which makes it hard to compare with Pavone's, Paladino's, etc. No question, it is remarkable, but it's its own style. Not neopolitan, not sicilian, but local and comfort food. In this area, Ledo's is the same idea, in that its not like other local pizza, It is its own style. And it works, here. But make no mistake, Ledo's pizza of DC is no Twin Trees of Syracuse! Italian is a step above in the city of Syracuse, named after its sister city in Sicily, compared to these parts!

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                  Re:Best Pizza in Syracuse Wed, 02/27/13 9:21 PM (permalink)
                  I don't get around much. Of those listed, I have had Pavones and its tasty but the crust doesn't thrill me. My favorite is from DiLauro's Bakery on Lodi. I have loved their bread for years and hadn't realized I worked about three or four blocks from their bakery. I then found out they sell pizza by the slice along with lunas and calzones. I pick up their breakfast pizza on the weekends...amazing!

They don't deliver but at least once a month I pick a pie up on my way home (in fact we had one tonight). Its best to get a fresh pie as the slices can be hit or miss depending on when they were made. My favorite pizza is sausage, peppers and mushrooms. The toppings are the perfect blend of flavor for me and the crust is fantastic...I actually eat the crusts.
                  <message edited by Cosmos on Wed, 02/27/13 9:22 PM>

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                    Re:Best Pizza in Syracuse Thu, 02/28/13 11:51 AM (permalink)
                    I dip the crusts in the wing sauce, which is why I always order extra sauce on the wings!
                    DiLauro's is quite near my office, surprised nobody here has ever ordered from there, and I've never had their pie. Another place I need to check out.

sonjaab

• Total Posts: 193
                      Re:Best Pizza in Syracuse Fri, 11/8/13 8:12 PM (permalink)
                      Its sad that there ain't many a Italian person within miles of DiLauros and nowadaze ya need a GUN to visit that area!  I remember when
                      I was a kid (and grew up in that neighborhood) and Nonnie used to send me down for a loaf or two of bread and a pound of dough to make pizza frittes to go with the "Sunday gravy"!  
                      Back in the day thats all they sold............

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com