The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Three: Prause Meat Market est. 1904

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 641
Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Three: Prause Meat Market est. 1904 Fri, 04/27/12 6:16 PM (permalink)
With roots running all the way back to 1904, Prause Meat Market is one of the oldest barbecue houses in the great state. We've been riding down there to eat for years and always have ourselves a time in beautiful LaGrange, Texas.

Old-school pit boss Monroe Schubert has been manning the pits since he was a young buck way back in the mid 1960s. He's one of the finest meat men our state has ever known.

We go here for scratch sausage, hand-sliced steaks for the fridge and to dine in one of the last places in Texas where you can get hot, bone-in beef brisket.
We don't eat side dishes when we're at barbecue but we do make an exception for Prause's excellent sour cream-based potato salad which is loaded with house made bacon. It's worth a trip to LaGrange in and of itself.

The room is a time capsule, the Prause family as friendly as they can be, and just outside the door is the LaGrange town square, one of the prettiest small Texas town centers you'll ever lay eyes on.

Daniel Vaughn recently reported that Prause Meat Market is for sale. This news saddens us but we're hopeful that the prospective buyer will honor the traditions of the Prause family.

And keep Monroe Schubert on the pit.

Pic of Monroe Schubert, pitboss at Prause http://www.scrumptiousche...rket-In-LaGrange-Texas

scrumptiouschef

Re:Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Three: Prause Meat Market est. 1904 Mon, 05/14/12 1:55 PM (permalink)
    http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.c...04/prauses-market.html

full report from Daniel Vaughn, the bbq snob of Texas, this guy just inked a deal to be published on Bourdain's book imprint

scrumptiouschef

Re:Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Three: Prause Meat Market est. 1904 Wed, 05/16/12 2:11 PM (permalink)
      Texas BBQ Posse visit Prause Meat Market http://texasbbqposse.blog...ur-generations-of.html

mcguirejohnr

• Total Posts: 111
        Re:Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Three: Prause Meat Market est. 1904 Sat, 07/14/12 4:38 PM (permalink)
        What is the best time to get to Pruase's.  I have tried it three times.  The first was awesome but pretty much sausage only as everything else was sold out.  The next two times I was too early as only yesterdays stuff was available.  

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9566
          Re:Tales From The Central Texas Barbecue Trail Part Three: Prause Meat Market est. 1904 Sun, 07/15/12 12:29 AM (permalink)
          mcguirejohnr

What is the best time to get to Pruase's.  I have tried it three times.  The first was awesome but pretty much sausage only as everything else was sold out.  The next two times I was too early as only yesterdays stuff was available.  

Why not give them a call and ask them directly?
          Prause Meat Market
          253 W. Travis
          La Grange, TX 78945
          409-968-3259
          Open M-W & F 7-5:30, Thur 7-1, Sat 5:30-1

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com