Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

When BBQ isn't Roadfood

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 51 of 51
tmiles

• Total Posts: 1909
Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Fri, 07/12/13 1:50 PM (permalink)
Large Man

If there is not smoke pouring from the building, it ain't Q and ain't roadfood!

I agree,,,,,almost. Yesterday I had a very nice pulled pork sandwich at Major League Roast Beef in Auburn , Mass. IMO, MLB is Roadfood, but they are a sandwich shop that happens to have some good Q. Maybe they buy it??  There is no smoke pouring from a shed out back. $7.49 for a good sized, very fresh onion roll, with a good portion of pulled pork (no sides) is on the expensive side of cheap roadfood, but everything there is about $1 extra. Maybe that is why they can keep the quality in. www.majorleagueroastbeef.com  There are a lot of baseball posters on the wall, but the picture of Ted Williams has him in a jet fighter during the Korean War. Even today, less than 4000 pilots in world history have qualified to land a jet on a carrier at night.  There must have been only hundreds in his day. He was a great baseball player, AND a Marine fighter pilot. They don't make them like him anymore. MLB is right down the street from Ronnies, the central Mass fried clam Mecca.

Today I stopped at Burger King, which nobody would call Roadfood. Certainly no BBQ smoke, and no pitmaster. The $4.99 special pulled pork sandwich, with fries and a drink, was on the smallish side...............nothing like the picture, but surprisingly good. The pulled pork, which is obviously shipped in, had good flavor, mouth feel, and a nice tang.  Were it served out of a smoking roadside trailer, I'd have been satisfied, and I doubt that a roadside guy could do it for $4.99 

<message edited by tmiles on Fri, 07/12/13 2:07 PM>

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
    Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Fri, 07/12/13 8:11 PM (permalink)
    Large Man

True enough.
    Excellent definition. 
    I've never smelled smoke around any Dickey's.

MetroplexJim

Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Fri, 07/12/13 8:14 PM (permalink)
      Michael Hoffman

Growing up in Connecticut I thought barbeque was what some people did outside with hot dogs and hamburgers. It wasn't till I got to Texas while in the Air Force that I found out otherwise.

This is an excellent explanation of why Bobby Flay and Adam Richman confuse the Salt Lick with BBQ.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
        Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 07/15/13 7:57 AM (permalink)
        Michael Hoffman

Growing up in Connecticut I thought barbeque was what some people did outside with hot dogs and hamburgers. It wasn't till I got to Texas while in the Air Force that I found out otherwise.

I had the same experience growing up.  "Grilling" was "BBQ".    There was absolutely no distinction between the two.  My mom's ribs were oven cooked and finished off on a weber with sauce. That was BBQ.  Wasn't until I was in college and roadtripped to Kansas City did I discover what an actual BBQ rib was. 

tmiles

Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 07/15/13 1:04 PM (permalink)
          WarToad

..........  Wasn't until I was in college and roadtripped to Kansas City did I discover what an actual BBQ rib was. 

For me it was going in the service. Like other northeasters I thought that BBQ was another word for "charcoal grill". North Carolina had (has?) some great roadside Q shacks, great seafood of a different kind than the northeast type that I was used to, and great Bogue Sound watermelons. The pitmasters must have bought shipped in wood, because the native, coastal pine was not good for cooking. 

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
            Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Tue, 07/16/13 5:28 PM (permalink)
            I had deviled eggs with smoked sea salt yesterday for lunch at a brewpub in LA

tmiles

Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Wed, 07/17/13 7:38 PM (permalink)
              We stopped at Marathon Restaurant in Hopkinton, Mass today. It has always been good, but not Roadfood. There has been a format change, with the same owner.  A few of the old favorites are still there, like Basil Calamari, but today the parking lot was a cloud of hickory smoke, and inside, the menu is mostly Q. I had the fork tender smoked beef briskit. I got the small size (it was not small) with 1 side plus homemade slaw and corn bread for $11. The beef was served without sauce. There is a beer 6 pak on the table filled with 6 kinds of sauce to put on yourself. The service was good enough to leave over 20%, and I'm usually a 15% guy. My co-diners are not Q folks, but they were very pleased with the salmon held over from the old menu. We shared the calamari as an appitizer, and it was, as usual, perfect. Real Q seems to be the hot "new" thing up here.
              <message edited by tmiles on Thu, 07/18/13 9:57 AM>

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Sun, 10/6/13 9:59 PM (permalink)
                Dearfolk,
                   I'm spoiled, I admit it. Today I had BBQ pork at Harry's here in Athens and ate the meat neat... without sauce! Good 'cue doesn't need sauce, although I love tasting the sauce(s) as I travel to see the local variations.
                      Wholeheartedly, Ort. in 30601-land.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                  Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Sun, 10/6/13 10:01 PM (permalink)
                  Dearfolk,
                     I forgot to mention... a good neighborhood bar in Atlanta, the Euclid Avenue Yacht Club at 1136 Euclid Avenue, N/E, has an in-kitchen smoker and puts out some mighty fine BBQ pork and brisket. It's well worth a visit if you're in the neck of the woods. Fine sides as well, especially their Brunswick stew.
                        Wholeheartedly, Ort. C. - still stuck in Athens.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                    Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Sun, 10/6/13 10:45 PM (permalink)
                    MetroplexJim

Large Man

True enough.
                    Excellent definition. 
                    I've never smelled smoke around any Dickey's.

And, I don't consider BBQ roadfood unless it's served buffet style so you can see the cutter working his magic. I will not eat any BBQ in a sit down restaurant with wait service. I want to see the meat before I order it!

Twinwillow

Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Sun, 10/6/13 11:23 PM (permalink)
                      tmiles

WarToad

..........  Wasn't until I was in college and roadtripped to Kansas City did I discover what an actual BBQ rib was. 

For me it was going in the service. Like other northeasters I thought that BBQ was another word for "charcoal grill". North Carolina had (has?) some great roadside Q shacks, great seafood of a different kind than the northeast type that I was used to, and great Bogue Sound watermelons. The pitmasters must have bought shipped in wood, because the native, coastal pine was not good for cooking. 

For me, it was moving to Dallas from NYC in 1963.

MetroplexJim

Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 10/7/13 2:01 PM (permalink)
                        Twinwillow

tmiles

WarToad

For me, it was moving to Dallas from NYC in 1963.

It took me ten years after moving from Pittsburgh to the the Shenandoah Valley to stumble upon it in Lumberton, North Carolina during a roadtrip to Disney World.  It was all that smoke that sparked my curiosity! 
                        <message edited by MetroplexJim on Mon, 10/7/13 2:03 PM>

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1056
                          Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 10/7/13 2:27 PM (permalink)
                          For me it took leaving the service and moving to Texas to find out what BBQ really was. And yes if I can't see my brisket and ribs being cut and put on butcher paper then I'm not comfortable. Famous Dave's and Salt Lick are not on my list of BBQ places.

MetroplexJim

Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 10/7/13 3:13 PM (permalink)
                            If anyone missed it, here are a few pictures I took recently at one of the places Scorereader cited as perhaps being 'non-Roadfood BBQ' - The Woodshed Smokehouse in Ft. Worth. 

They have table service, but they most definitely do use smoke.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
                              Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 10/7/13 4:08 PM (permalink)
                              How can it be roadfood with Escarole salad with red onion, smoked pecan, pecorino, sherry vinaigrette, 3 kale salad with celery greens, guanciale, smoked pepita, Manchego, crispy artichokes, lemon, parmesan, Summer Tomatoes, smoked mozzarella, charred basil, and cloth napkins?

Twinwillow

Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 10/7/13 4:29 PM (permalink)
                                Mmm, speaking of BBQ, I just finished a great smoked brisket lunch at the Slow Bone in Dallas. A certifiably roadfood quality BBQ joint. If their brisket was any more tender, you'd have to eat it with a spoon!
                                Not spam! So, please do not flag me!

Twinwillow

Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 10/7/13 4:30 PM (permalink)
                                  Michael Hoffman

How can it be roadfood with Escarole salad with red onion, smoked pecan, pecorino, sherry vinaigrette, 3 kale salad with celery greens, guanciale, smoked pepita, Manchego, crispy artichokes, lemon, parmesan, Summer Tomatoes, smoked mozzarella, charred basil, and cloth napkins?

What? No fried calamari? 

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
                                    Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 10/7/13 4:39 PM (permalink)
                                    Michael Hoffman

Yeah...that charred basil automatically disqualifies it.

Twinwillow

Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 10/7/13 4:41 PM (permalink)
                                      Pancho

Michael Hoffman

Yeah...that charred basil automatically disqualifies it.

Come to think about it, I didn't see any Caesar salad either

MetroplexJim

Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 10/7/13 4:52 PM (permalink)
                                        Michael Hoffman

And, reservations & valet parking - things Aaron Franklin should think about!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
                                          Re:When BBQ isn't Roadfood Mon, 10/7/13 6:01 PM (permalink)
                                          MetroplexJim

Michael Hoffman

And, reservations & valet parking - things Aaron Franklin should think about!

Oh, yeah. Now about that valet parking ... .

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 51 of 51

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com