The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

how long is your electrical shore power wire for power?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38
Bistro a go-go

• Total Posts: 171
how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 05/11/12 7:41 PM (permalink)
if you can hook up to event power, how long is your power line from truck/trailer to the end of wire?

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 05/11/12 8:04 PM (permalink)
    150 feet
    jack

Bistro a go-go

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 05/11/12 9:03 PM (permalink)
      what size wire do you use? seems like any wire that long loses wattage at that length...what do you think is a minimum footage of wire?

PurpleCheetah

• Total Posts: 151
        Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 05/11/12 9:08 PM (permalink)
        I have a question that pertains to that.
        Ok tell me if this is correct:

generator has a 30A turn lock plug, I have a 30amp plug to plug into it on 10-4 wire 7 ft long ( so basically I made a cable ) that I plug into an outlet http://www.homedepot.com/...utlet-94600.html  on my passenger side, then from this outlet I run 10-4 wire to my main breaker box.

Is this the way to do this? I thought I would need the receptacle box in case I am in a location that has power the I can just plug right into the receptacle with my 100ft cord to power my breaker box

Bistro a go-go

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 05/11/12 9:48 PM (permalink)
          that will work just fine.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 05/11/12 10:28 PM (permalink)
            10-4 wire and I require min 30 amps. Yes the distance  or length of wire comes into play but I have never had a problem with my system.

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 05/11/12 10:33 PM (permalink)
              PurpleCheetah

generator has a 30A turn lock plug, I have a 30amp plug to plug into it on 10-4 wire 7 ft long ( so basically I made a cable ) that I plug into an outlet http://www.homedepot.com/...utlet-94600.html  on my passenger side, then from this outlet I run 10-4 wire to my main breaker box.

Is this the way to do this? I thought I would need the receptacle box in case I am in a location that has power the I can just plug right into the receptacle with my 100ft cord to power my breaker box

You just need a 10-4 wire with two males. One for your shore power and the other for your outlet. No big deal except you need to plug into your outlet first then into your shore power. Otherwise you have a hot end in your hand if you do it the other way round.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
                Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 05/11/12 11:07 PM (permalink)
                75' + 25 ' of #6-4

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
                  • Location: dodging,snakes,spiders,roaches, armadillos.opposso
                  Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Sat, 05/12/12 11:20 AM (permalink)
                  dont know how long it is buit its a pia when i have to pull it all in!! ...or back out!!  ;>)

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                    Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Sat, 05/12/12 11:33 AM (permalink)
                    Your right about that Buck, and when you have to coil it up and throw it on your shoulder to carry it somewhere.

Bistro a go-go

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Mon, 05/21/12 11:58 AM (permalink)
                      what does 75 plus 25 ft of 6/4 mean? where does the 6/4 go and how?

chefbuba

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Mon, 05/21/12 2:30 PM (permalink)
                        100' of 6 gauge 4 wire cable.

PurpleCheetah

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Wed, 05/23/12 7:09 PM (permalink)
                          Chef Y the heavier gauge wire?

chefbuba

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Wed, 05/23/12 8:00 PM (permalink)
                            50amp service

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                              • Location: Roswell, NM until we leave for another place
                              Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Wed, 05/23/12 10:28 PM (permalink)
                              30 amp service.  40 ft 14/3 attached to the cart (our standard cord & my former "christmas tree" cord) powers the AC unit only. We bring our blue 100 ft 12/3 cord for events... just in case (it is always stored in the Jeep). When we swap over to ice cream and have to run the chest freezer, we will change the 14/3 cord to one of my heavy 50 ft 12/3 cords . We used to be construction workers... we are extension cord poor. We have so many heavy duty 12/3 extension cords that we no longer need, that we are using them to wire up the "house" wiring on the bus. And we will still have cords left over.

The generator I ordered is supposed to be here on Friday. We will still carry the blue extension cord with us for events... just in case.

As for our long runs... we have had longer runs when working on houses and running air compressors, table saws, circular saws, drills and a big lathe once  on the same cords run off of temporary power poles. Never a problem.
                              <message edited by lornaschinske on Wed, 05/23/12 10:35 PM>

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                                Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Thu, 05/24/12 8:40 AM (permalink)
                                Use this wire size calculator.   Just enter the length of cord and service amps.  It's one I found quickly.   It doesn't mean a smaller wire will not work, but does indicate a smaller wire would have more heat & energy loss and likely not meet code requirements.   .... Oh, 1/2 of the circuit length is equal to the length of the power cord.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html
                                <message edited by edwmax on Thu, 05/24/12 8:45 AM>

Bistro a go-go

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Thu, 05/24/12 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                  im using 6/4 but wondered whats the longest anyone has ever had to pull the wire to the pole. one guy said theyde never put you farther than 50 ft from power pole. is this correct?

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                                    Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Thu, 05/24/12 1:26 PM (permalink)
                                    #6 wire is good up to 120 ft for 30 amps; & up to 70 ft for 50 amps

you said " ...one guy said theyde never put you farther than 50 ft from power pole. ..."   This is just telling a vendor he should not expect to need more than 50 ft of power cord.

Bistro a go-go

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 05/25/12 8:10 AM (permalink)
                                      ed, no thats the trailer builder north of atlanta. i didnt say i believed it, just what I was told. i think ill do the 100 ft unless folks think i need more.

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                                        • Location: Roswell, NM until we leave for another place
                                        Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 05/25/12 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                        We have used every inch of our cords when strung together. That's 140 ft.

kingofcreams

• Total Posts: 111
                                          Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Tue, 05/29/12 2:01 PM (permalink)
                                          Dr of BBQ

PurpleCheetah

You just need a 10-4 wire with two males. One for your shore power and the other for your outlet. No big deal except you need to plug into your outlet first then into your shore power. Otherwise you have a hot end in your hand if you do it the other way round.

Ah.... if you have two male ends on a cord you will be shut down in 1 second by any onsite electical inspector. The shore power end should be male and the other end needs to be female that way if for some reason the non shore power end becomes unplugged theres no risk of shocking anyone. I learned this 3 years ago believe me and I was almost shut down by the state inspector but he allowed me to use a  different cord and didn't allow me to plug in my main panel.  What I have is a small section of cable wired directly to my service panel to the outside with a male on it which I can then plug the female end of my extension cable to which has a male end to the shore power. 

kingofcreams

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Tue, 05/29/12 2:05 PM (permalink)
                                            For my ice cream truck I only had a 35 foot cord and this wasn't long enough at about half of the locations I attend. With my trailer build I am using a 100 foot cord and this should be long enough at all my events

Dr of BBQ

• Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Tue, 05/29/12 2:47 PM (permalink)
                                              "if you have two male ends on a cord you will be shut down in 1 second by any onsite electical inspector."

That may be true is some areas but not all

"What I have is a small section of cable wired directly to my service panel to the outside with a male on it" 

That's the same thing. LOL

PurpleCheetah

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Thu, 05/31/12 6:24 PM (permalink)
                                                kingofcreams

Dr of BBQ

PurpleCheetah

Ah.... if you have two male ends on a cord you will be shut down in 1 second by any onsite electical inspector. The shore power end should be male and the other end needs to be female that way if for some reason the non shore power end becomes unplugged theres no risk of shocking anyone. I learned this 3 years ago believe me and I was almost shut down by the state inspector but he allowed me to use a  different cord and didn't allow me to plug in my main panel.  What I have is a small section of cable wired directly to my service panel to the outside with a male on it which I can then plug the female end of my extension cable to which has a male end to the shore power. 

I think I know what you mean KoC I'll do some looking around and figure out if I can confirm EXACTLY what you mean, thanks.

PurpleCheetah

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Thu, 05/31/12 6:26 PM (permalink)
                                                  Dr of BBQ

"if you have two male ends on a cord you will be shut down in 1 second by any onsite electical inspector."

"What I have is a small section of cable wired directly to my service panel to the outside with a male on it" 

Head is spinning...really need to do some research, lol

kingofcreams

Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Wed, 06/13/12 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                                    PurpleCheetah

Dr of BBQ

Head is spinning...really need to do some research, lol

Take a look at my picture to see if it helps you. Off of my breaker panel (inside) i ran my cable outside through the wall with a male end twist lock plug. My extension cord consistists of a female twist lock end that plugs into the male portion of the 2 foot piece from my breaker. The shore power side is a male plug. Dr may be right that not all inspectors will shut you down but it's just a matter of switching the ends around and this way you'll have no danger or liability of having live (hot) ends of a cord exposed in the open.

RCDoggin

• Total Posts: 24
                                                      Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Wed, 06/13/12 12:27 PM (permalink)
                                                      This is an EXCELLENT set-up.  If you'll notice, the connection is also up off the ground so any spillage isn't a concern and if kids were to swing on it, which they will, it won't be coming loose with the twist-locks.  Your area may or may not allow a two-male cord but why would you risk zapping the hell out of someone's kids just because an inspector said it was okay to have?     

Have a little class and consideration by doing it the right way. 

PurpleCheetah

• Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                        Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Thu, 06/14/12 6:51 PM (permalink)
                                                        I see how it works now had to print it out to take along on my re shopping trip, thanks

Dr of BBQ

• Location: Springfield, IL
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Thu, 06/14/12 7:53 PM (permalink)
                                                          With all do respect I would never hang a line down the side of a truck or trailer like that. It's going to swing all over the place going down the road. And it just attracts way to much attention to your power cord. And with today's junk metal prices you might as well put a sign on it that says steal me.

They make boxes with a lockable door that can be mounted anywhere. You flip it open and plug in. You unplug it and close and lock the door. It's simple when done correctly.

And as for the silliness about kids swinging on it, LMAO that would be a dead kid. If the 220 didn't get him then I or a member of my team would. We'd have that little piglet bound and gaged waiting for the cops in a heartbeat. LOL

RCDoggin

• Total Posts: 24
                                                            • Location: an Diego, CA
                                                            Re:how long is your electrical shore power wire for power? Fri, 06/15/12 1:41 PM (permalink)
                                                            Dr, are you serious?  Look at the condition of the rig and the attention to detail.  Do you really believe this man (or woman) would be going down the road with a cord beating against the side of it?

As for the silliness, that's just the attitude to have regarding safety around people.  These forums are for people to get ideas from the information that's shared and incorporate them into their own operations for the better.  The man didn't have to go to all the trouble of taking the pic and posting it but he did.  What do you do?  You rip him for not having a feature in an area the pic doesn't even show.  Do you want to share accurate, positive  info or be the know-it-all with, as you said yourself, a hot end in your hand.  Just brilliant.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com