Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pizza........

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44
iluvcfood

• Total Posts: 395
Pizza........ Fri, 06/15/12 3:54 PM (permalink)
Pizza is a MUST with lots of meat and EXTRA cheese!  

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
    Re:Pizza........ Sat, 06/16/12 10:15 AM (permalink)
    It has been my experience that the only places that "load up" their pizza unfortunately serve it on cardboard crusts.

The exception, of course, is "Chicago-style" which is really more casserole than pizza.

In my youth I used to like it "your way" - a la Domino's "Exxtraganza" - but now I favor the Neopolitain-style which is relatively light (and digestible).

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6068
      Re:Pizza........ Sat, 06/16/12 11:39 AM (permalink)
      In another topic,we were just saying Chicago style pizza is really more like a casserole than a true pizza. I agree. Interesting, nice taste...just not traditional pizza.

leethebard

Re:Pizza........ Sat, 06/16/12 11:44 AM (permalink)
        And if you look attoday's digest,good Italian pizza can have any great topping. I learned to experiment in Italy and often also ordered the house special pizza capricosa. Once had a "loaded" pie with a poached egg sitting(er, running) in the center. Still good....after all I was sitting at a cafe in Florence!!!! Italian pizza rules!!!!
        <message edited by leethebard on Sat, 06/16/12 11:46 AM>

ayersian

Re:Pizza........ Sat, 06/16/12 12:33 PM (permalink)
          leethebard, thanks for that!  The location definitely makes a difference, and even the so-so pizza that we ate in Italy was pretty amazing.  Speaking of the runny egg, we really enjoyed one like this with crispy kale at Posto here in Somerville -- really outstanding.    Chris

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
            Re:Pizza........ Sat, 06/16/12 1:41 PM (permalink)
            leethebard

Chicago style pizza is really more like a casserole than a true pizza. I agree.

Again, not true on the basis that there is more than one Chicago style pizza, and not all of those styles could be reasonably described as like casseroles

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
              Re:Pizza........ Sat, 06/16/12 5:46 PM (permalink)
              Numero Uno, and Due, is very one of a kind, having started in Chicago.. Is it true Chicago pizza? No-but these guys(from Texas, originally) started it. They also started a tex/mex around the corner from Due.Ate at both. Fabulous.

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
                Re:Pizza........ Sat, 06/16/12 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                                            M A R U C A S  !!!

leethebard

Re:Pizza........ Sun, 06/17/12 8:25 AM (permalink)
                  Yes, one of the best at the shore.......

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                    Re:Pizza........ Sun, 06/17/12 7:22 PM (permalink)
                    I'll take mine "plain." That's just some tomato, oregano, garlic and olive oil, plus some grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Simple. Delicious.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                      Re:Pizza........ Fri, 08/10/12 3:12 PM (permalink)
                      I like a Hawaiian pizza with ham, pineapple, onions, and a BBQ style sauce base.  I like most pizza, so long as it doesn't have anchovies or broccoli and the crust is neither too thick nor too thin. 

badart

• Total Posts: 35
                        Re:Pizza........ Fri, 08/10/12 5:42 PM (permalink)
                        ann peeples

Numero Uno, and Due, is very one of a kind, having started in Chicago.. Is it true Chicago pizza? No-but these guys(from Texas, originally) started it. They also started a tex/mex around the corner from Due.Ate at both. Fabulous.

Su Casa?

marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
                          Re:Pizza........ Mon, 08/20/12 6:15 AM (permalink)
                          iluvcfood

Pizza is a MUST with lots of meat and EXTRA cheese!  

depends what you're into. the purists here define pizza as having only crust, sauce and cheese, basically junk food like potato chips or doritos...... this also explains their mental state due to improper nutrition.......

add meat and veggies of any kind, and the purists here will whine and complain very loudly and obnoxiously that you are some sort of idiot. it's really best to ignore the loud ones and go for what you like. :) for 99% of the population, pizza is a complete meal in itself due to having both veggies and meat included.

leethebard

Re:Pizza........ Mon, 08/20/12 6:51 AM (permalink)
                            I don't know what you're talking about. When it comes to real Italian pizza, I'm as "pure" as you can get.....and real pizza can have any topping you can dream up. Italians are quite creative. We've talked here, in many threads, about the various pies you can try in Italy..Yes the Italian pizza organization requires certain ingredients for an Italian Margherita pie(our Plain), like Buffalo cheese etc, but some of the most creative toppings are found in Italy......."Purists" eat toppings too!! To a purist, Pizza Hut and their ilk are not "pure"...and on that I'll agree!!! But toppings.....go for it!!!
                            <message edited by leethebard on Mon, 08/20/12 6:52 AM>

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7381
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Pizza........ Mon, 08/20/12 7:37 AM (permalink)
                              leethebard

I completely agree with you, however I beleive marzit has an issue with people who had a different opinion about the state of  pizza in Seattle .

When I lived there The toppings there were just so wrong-always raw veggies (even onion, peppers peppers and mushrooms)  and the sauce always tasted like someone accidentally dumped an entire load of basil into it.  I spent my over three years there trying to find one half decent pizza. Never found it.

leethebard

Re:Pizza........ Mon, 08/20/12 12:27 PM (permalink)
                                Wanderingjew.......I agree...bad pizza is always caused by bad ingredients...toppings and basics......my comment was that  a pizza purist still accepts a pizza with good toppings......Purist doesn't mean devoid of toppings!!

marzsit

Re:Pizza........ Tue, 08/21/12 6:45 AM (permalink)
                                  wanderingjew

leethebard

I completely agree with you, however I beleive marzit has an issue with people who had a different opinion about the state of  pizza in Seattle .

When I lived there The toppings there were just so wrong-always raw veggies (even onion, peppers peppers and mushrooms)  and the sauce always tasted like someone accidentally dumped an entire load of basil into it.  I spent my over three years there trying to find one half decent pizza. Never found it.

you didn't look hard enough, or you were here a very long time ago......

this is 2012.

there is good pizza in the seattle area if you know where to get it. (hint- the largest italian population is in the south end, far out of the seattle city limits...)
                                  mom-and-pop shops don't like to be named in public, so that's the most i'll say.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Pizza........ Tue, 08/21/12 8:08 AM (permalink)
                                    marzsit

wanderingjew

leethebard

you didn't look hard enough, or you were here a very long time ago......

this is 2012.

there is good pizza in the seattle area if you know where to get it. (hint- the largest italian population is in the south end, far out of the seattle city limits...)
                                    mom-and-pop shops don't like to be named in public, so that's the most i'll say.

I haven't lived in Seattle in over 16 years. I guess things could change however Wheregreggeats.com has been there much more recently than I have and he told me that the pizza situation in Seattle hasn't changed at all, I still have friends in Seattle with east coast connnections who have told me the same thing

edit....

BTW, Seattle had a very "minute" Italian population.  Asian and Pacific Islanders, yes, otherwise it was mostly English, Dutch, German  and largely Scandinavian
                                    <message edited by wanderingjew on Tue, 08/21/12 9:34 AM>

marzsit

Re:Pizza........ Wed, 08/22/12 6:51 AM (permalink)

I haven't lived in Seattle in over 16 years. I guess things could change however Wheregreggeats.com has been there much more recently than I have and he told me that the pizza situation in Seattle hasn't changed at all, I still have friends in Seattle with east coast connnections who have told me the same thing

edit....

BTW, Seattle had a very "minute" Italian population.  Asian and Pacific Islanders, yes, otherwise it was mostly English, Dutch, German  and largely Scandinavian

i don't know what neighborhood you lived in, but i was surrounded by coluccio's, motolla's, nisco's, merlino's and scarsella's when i grew up in south seattle, specifically the rainier valley area. there is a large italian population here, and lots of catholic churches as well as catholic private schools. your information is faulty. been here for 47 years.....

gregg, your buddy, doesn't get around much really...... he missed fat smittys as the best burger joint on the peninsula and called red mill burgers as "ok"... total idiot.  i checked out his reviews, he's as clueless as you. and, you think he knows what good pizza is........

but, you haven't been out this way for 16+ years, so why are you saying anything at all?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Pizza........ Wed, 08/22/12 7:37 AM (permalink)
                                        marzsit

i don't know what neighborhood you lived in, but i was surrounded by coluccio's, motolla's, nisco's, merlino's and scarsella's when i grew up in south seattle, specifically the rainier valley area. there is a large italian population here, and lots of catholic churches as well as catholic private schools. your information is faulty. been here for 47 years.....

gregg, your buddy, doesn't get around much really...... he missed fat smittys as the best burger joint on the peninsula and called red mill burgers as "ok"... total idiot.  i checked out his reviews, he's as clueless as you. and, you think he knows what good pizza is........

but, you haven't been out this way for 16+ years, so why are you saying anything at all?

And you sir are a flat out Jack Ass
                                        We do not throw insults at others on this forum like you just did.

The five places you mentioned (probably the only 5) with a city of nearly 4 million people does not make a "large" Italian population. I worked in an office of over 250 people. I think there were 2, no, one person that was Italian, that was it!
                                        You do not know when I've been out there last, I never made any such comments.

Pizza in Seattle SUCKS!

Deal with it!
                                        <message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 08/22/12 8:17 AM>

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                          Re:Pizza........ Wed, 08/22/12 9:04 AM (permalink)
                                          leethebard

Wanderingjew.......I agree...bad pizza is always caused by bad ingredients...toppings and basics......my comment was that  a pizza purist still accepts a pizza with good toppings......Purist doesn't mean devoid of toppings!!
                                          .....bad pizza is also caused by folks who have no clue how to make great pizza...

leethebard

Re:Pizza........ Wed, 08/22/12 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                            NYPIzzaNut

leethebard

.....bad pizza is also caused by folks who have no clue how to make great pizza...

lee

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                                              Re:Pizza........ Wed, 08/22/12 9:40 AM (permalink)
                                              I remember from my navy days doing a port call in Naples and the pizza was pretty simplistic. Crust, sauce, mozzerella and that was pretty much it. This was 1970 so I can't remember if it was good or not.

marzsit

Re:Pizza........ Mon, 09/17/12 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                                owners said they didn't mind some publicity...
                                                http://www.pulcinellapizza.com/

leethebard

Re:Pizza........ Mon, 09/17/12 9:45 AM (permalink)
                                                  marzit, sure looks like the real thing!!!!!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                                    Re:Pizza........ Mon, 09/17/12 10:20 AM (permalink)
                                                    Look around. You can't judge Seattle or any other place from a decade ago. In just the past few years many good pizza shops have discovered the art of wood fired ovens at over 700F as the key to great crust using tipo 00 flour, water, salt and yeast, San Marzano tomatoes, de Bufala cheese, extra virgin olive oil and then quality toppings. That's the simple method from Naples, Italy and pretty hard to mess up done right. Yes, I have had pizza in Naples, Italy. I'm spoiled now. My test is to first order a simple Margherita pizza just to see if they know how to make a pizza and also use the right ingredients in the right balance. Then you can glop what you like be it pineapple to BBQ sauce or whatever your tastes desire.
                                                    <message edited by Davydd on Mon, 09/17/12 10:21 AM>

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
                                                      Re:Pizza........ Mon, 09/17/12 2:16 PM (permalink)
                                                      brisketboy

I remember from my navy days doing a port call in Naples and the pizza was pretty simplistic. Crust, sauce, mozzerella and that was pretty much it. This was 1970 so I can't remember if it was good or not.

Up the road from Napoli in Gaeta. Been 30 years since I was there. But pretty much the same and one of the most delicious foods that has ever passed my lips.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                                                        Re:Pizza........ Mon, 09/17/12 6:16 PM (permalink)
                                                        @iluvcfood ~ Some people just don't seem to understand that for some of us, less is more. I grew up in NYC where the topping on pizza was, cheese only! If you want to load up your pizza with everything including the kitchen sink, that's fine if that's what you like.
                                                        But, don't speak for me. I eat my pizza in Dallas at Cane Rosso.
                                                        My favorite pie and a must for me is their "Regina Margherita". That's nothing more than a Neapolitan style pizza with sauce made from Italian San Marzano tomatoes, Bufala Mozzarella, and basil. Although, I do add hot sopressata.
                                                        But please, don't express your opinion that the must for you is a must for all!
                                                        <message edited by Twinwillow on Mon, 09/17/12 6:26 PM>

Twinwillow

Re:Pizza........ Mon, 09/17/12 6:23 PM (permalink)
                                                          fishtaco

brisketboy

Up the road from Napoli in Gaeta. Been 30 years since I was there. But pretty much the same and one of the most delicious foods that has ever passed my lips.

I was in Naples and Southern Italy a few years ago and I can tell you, it still is the way to go! Well, maybe a few anchovies wouldn't hurt.

Twinwillow

Re:Pizza........ Mon, 09/17/12 6:30 PM (permalink)
                                                            Davydd

Look around. You can't judge Seattle or any other place from a decade ago. In just the past few years many good pizza shops have discovered the art of wood fired ovens at over 700F as the key to great crust using tipo 00 flour, water, salt and yeast, San Marzano tomatoes, de Bufala cheese, extra virgin olive oil and then quality toppings. That's the simple method from Naples, Italy and pretty hard to mess up done right. Yes, I have had pizza in Naples, Italy. I'm spoiled now. My test is to first order a simple Margherita pizza just to see if they know how to make a pizza and also use the right ingredients in the right balance. Then you can glop what you like be it pineapple to BBQ sauce or whatever your tastes desire.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com