Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Alaska

AthensSteve

• Total Posts: 1
Alaska Thu, 07/5/12 1:35 PM (permalink)
First trip.  Last state on my list.  50 before 50 (made it by 10 days). Anyway....
Any recommendations for good food and good beer. 
These towns.  Anchorage, Seward, Talkeetna (staying at the Roadhouse), and Healy/Denali Park area.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
    Re:Alaska Thu, 07/5/12 2:08 PM (permalink)
    AthensSteve

First trip.  Last state on my list.  50 before 50 (made it by 10 days). Anyway....
    Any recommendations for good food and good beer. 
    These towns.  Anchorage, Seward, Talkeetna (staying at the Roadhouse), and Healy/Denali Park area.

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Never been, and want to, but I saw a show about Anchorage and there's a guy with a hot dog cart on 4th street. He sells all kinds of sausages like reindeer, etc. I'd certainly want to check him out if I were there!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6205
      Re:Alaska Thu, 07/5/12 2:11 PM (permalink)
      Welcome to Roadfood AthensSteve!  You're going to LOVE Alaska, I lived there for 8 years and still want to go back.
      Eating in Anchorage:
      Humpy's
      Glacier Brewhouse (they brew their own beer)
      Moose's Tooth
      Gwennies (for breakfast)
      Ronnie's (for sushi)
      Kincaid Grill
      There are many, many more.
      I have been to Seward but don't know it well enough to recommend eateries.  We were travelling with a camper so I did a lot of the cooking.
      In Talkeetna, the Roadhouse has really good food.  Behind Nagley's is the West Rib and they have the "Seward's Folley" burger which has been on the Travel Channel.  It's a monster.  They also have "regular" burgers and other things.  Food there is very good.
      There aren't many eateries around Denali Park.  If you're taking the bus back to Kantishna/Wonder Lake I suggest you pack a lunch because it's an all day trip.
      Enjoy Alaska!!! 

lleechef

Re:Alaska Thu, 07/5/12 2:28 PM (permalink)
        I forgot a couple that are worth mentioning.
        In Anchorage, The Lucky Wishbone
        They've been in business forever, it's diner-style atmosphere and they serve up some GREAT fried chicken.
        Since you're headed to Seward, down the Seward Highway you will come to Girdwood.  Go to The Bake Shop for the largest cinnamon roll you've ever seen.  Also great clam chowder.  The Double Musky Inn in Girdwood also is very good.
        Just down the road from Girdwood is the turn-off to Whittier.  You will have to go through a 3 mile tunnel (shared by the AK Railroad) but on the other side is some of the finest seafood you have ever seen at the Swiftwater Seafood Cafe.  (There is a review of Swiftwater on this site.)
        Again, Enjoy Alaska!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
          Re:Alaska Fri, 07/13/12 1:49 AM (permalink)
          I'm in Haines, Alaska right now camped right on Oceanside. My Dungeness crab dinner has been poste already but on Facebook. I can't easily process photos to prepare to post here with my iPhone.

lleechef

Re:Alaska Fri, 07/13/12 10:01 AM (permalink)
            Davydd
            Keep us posted on your Alaskan adventure!  I sure would like to see a pic of the Dungeness crab dinner!!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
              Re:Alaska Fri, 07/13/12 10:47 AM (permalink)
              If anyone is heading to Fairbanks I recommend the Pumphouse  on Chena Road. They have a great selection of local seafood plus they have Elk and Reindeer on the menu. Our friends that took us here have lived in Fairbanks for a number of years and it's one of their favorites. We were there in May a few years back and it was neat to eat outside on their deck at 9 at night in bright daylight! The Chena River runs alongside of the deck and there is a lot of activity to watch as you eat.

TnTinCT

Re:Alaska Sat, 07/14/12 11:48 AM (permalink)
                We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast at the Snow City Cafe in Anchorage - only a breakfast/lunch spot. Ditto comments above on the Roadhouse in Talkeetna, decent food.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                  Re:Alaska Fri, 07/20/12 4:39 PM (permalink)
                  In Anchorage I second the Glacier Brewing. Get Ice Axe Ale.

In Talkeetna:

Roadhouse is a good pick. Giant pancakes.

Mountain High Pizza Pie, which was my home away from home. Very cool, friendly vibe, lots of beer on tap, and some of the best food I ate this entire trip. Definitely a true Roadfood establishment. Italian flatbread sandwich, which is made from their own dough and unlike anything I have ever tried before. Try one stuffed with delicious reindeer sausage. Make your own pizza.

West Rib. Another place to get Ice Axe Ale. Get a burger with Fat Ass Sauce. The caribou was too tough for us.

Denali State Park:

Salmon Bake During the night a wild place for local workers to blow off steam. In the daytime a fantastic restaurant with delicious pies and lots of beers.
                  The chowder was made with real cream and fresh salmon. Try fish and chips and buffalo burgers.

Davydd

Re:Alaska Mon, 07/23/12 12:15 AM (permalink)
                    We had breakfast at the Roadhouse in Talkeetna before departing. Breakfast is the best meal to have at the Roadhouse. It is a pour your own coffee kind of place and family dining as you may be sharing a table with strangers. No problem. Everyone is there on a similar quest as you and they are either coming or going the same places so you'll have something in common to discuss to dispense advice and tips or seek. You can't be too private or uptight to eat there. Our table mates were a young couple from Atlanta who stayed at the Roadhouse Inn.

In Talkeetna we also had lunches at the West Rib and the Swiss-Alaska Inn (Vienna sandwich) and pizza dinner At Mountain High Pizza Pie. In between we only sampled the beers and ales at the Denali Brewing Co.

In the 11 years since we were last in Talkeetna it had changed considerably as it once was the model town for the TV show, Northern Exposure. The Roadhouse was the centerpiece for that show. A restaurant we had dinner in that town is since long gone but replaced with several others. The brewing company and pizza were not there then. The West Rib and the Roadhouse were. Tourist success, Princess and Holland America cruise tour busses have changed it.

We are in Anchorage now but will depart for the Kenai Penisula tomorrow. We got in both Humpy's and Glacier Brewing in Anchorage. If you have to choose one, go to Humpy's

Davydd

Re:Alaska Mon, 07/23/12 1:49 AM (permalink)
                      For beer the Silver Gulch Brewing and Bottling Co. is a must in Fairbanks. It is actually north of Fairbanks a few miles in the town of Fox. Great beers and a hopping place. They also sell bottle six packs and growlers. Besides Silver Gulch and Glacier in Anchorage we have also embibed in Skagway and Haines breweries. Looking forward to the Kenai.

In Denali just outside the park entrance is McKinley Park a small commercial strip. The Prospector is located there and they serve 49 beers on tap including almost all tha Alaska brews. You'll like that place. It seemed to be a mixture of the tourists, the locals and the young summer workers. We had the "This Ain't Your Lower 48" pizza there. The toppings were reindeer sausage and elk burger.

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
                        Re:Alaska Mon, 07/23/12 10:49 AM (permalink)
                        A few years old but some pics of my food on a motorcycle trip including YT, BC and NWT.

http://exurban.smugmug.com/Adventure-Rider/Adventure-Food/5704974_RDXSpD#!i=351922433&k=8fdRV

peppertree

• Total Posts: 301
                          Re:Alaska Fri, 10/19/12 11:52 PM (permalink)
                          Have not seen any Alaska restaurants on the roadfood map.  I would like to suggest two that I found and enjoyed on my trip to Anchorage, last year.

Arctic Roadrunner for burgers, fries and shakes.
                          http://www.yelp.com/biz/arctic-roadrunner-anchorage?sort_by=date_desc

Also found a good Chicago food place with decent Italian beef in Anchorage.
                          Johnny Chicago's.
                          http://www.yelp.com/biz/johnny-chicagos-anchorage#hrid:JMW5aCZKlVDAcNF_iOHOeQ/src:self

I reviewed both of these on yelp.com under my real name, Steven G.

sandman441

• Total Posts: 10
                            Re:Alaska Fri, 06/28/13 10:45 PM (permalink)
                            I know I am a little late to this discussion but I had to put my 2 cents in on something. I love Johnny Chicagos but there is a new place that opened up a few months ago called IHOH (international house of hotdogs) they do a mexican style hotdog and it's really good. I do not know if I can post links yet but urbanspoon has a listing, they have a facebook too. My favotire hotdog there is the hawaiian which is a regular good quality hotdog then they put on pineapple, ham, bacon onions and a chipotle sauce. It kind of confuses your tastes buds because you look at it and like what is this? and then you take a bite out of it and your like wow. 

lleechef

Re:Alaska Fri, 06/28/13 11:00 PM (permalink)
                              Welcome to Roadfood sandman!  I unfortunately have been away from Alaska for 5 years.  I posted my favorite places on this thread.  IHOH and Johnny Chicago's were not there then but they look interesting.  Go to the Moose's Tooth for good pizza and for excellent sushi/sashimi, Ronnie's on Jewel Lake Rd. 

sandman441

Re:Alaska Sat, 06/29/13 12:29 AM (permalink)
                                I think I am the only person in Alaska who isn't a big mooses tooth fan. Their pizza gives me heart burn every single time. 5 years is a pretty long time, We have gotten 2 chain restaurants since that time, Golden Corral which is terrible and Olive Garden just opened up about 2 years ago now. 

I heard we are supposed to get an influx of other chain places (hard rock, red lobster, joes crab shack, and I'm missing a few more). Have you ever been to benny's food wagon?

lleechef

Re:Alaska Sat, 06/29/13 5:58 PM (permalink)
                                  I'm glad I wasn't there for the influx of chains in ANC!  But there's always Gwennie's, Humpy's and Lucky Wishbone for those that want to eat at old fashioned Anchorage places.
                                  I have never been to Benny's food wagon.  In fact I never saw a food wagon during my 8 years in ANC.  A few food vendors at the Saturday Market and that was pretty much it. 
                                  Sorry you don't like the Moose's Tooth.  Have you ever been to the Bear's Tooth?  Good food and killer Margharitas.
                                  Where in ANC are you?  I lived off Raspberry Rd.   

sandman441

Re:Alaska Sat, 06/29/13 8:33 PM (permalink)
                                    There were 2 food trucks, one I dont' remember the name but I don't think they lasted too long. Bennys is by the Mcdonalds in Spenard. It looks like a skeezy place but it used to be good, They have mexican food which honestly used to be the best in Anchorage and possible Alaska. But they changed owners or different people are making burritos and they are not as good. 

So like 5 years ago was fine but my favorite thing there were the deep fried burritos, they would fry them for a few minutes and then they would slice the burrito lengthwise and stuff it with tillamook cheese. Even their salsa was great, it is home made so it was just a little different every day. 

Now, I can't recommend them but they used to be fantastic, they still have good tacos but that's usually hard to mess up.  I have never been to the Bear's Tooth I also don't drink so. I am in Bayshore it's near Mears Middle School. 
                                    <message edited by sandman441 on Sat, 06/29/13 8:35 PM>

Davydd

Re:Alaska Sun, 06/30/13 10:10 AM (permalink)
                                      Speaking of food trucks in Alaska, this is the Tok Thai Food Truck in Tok at the intersection of Alaska Highway 1 and 2. That's remote out near Wrangell-Saint Elias National Park.

lleechef

Re:Alaska Sun, 06/30/13 11:57 AM (permalink)
                                        Holy smokes!  A food truck in Tok??  Now that is really remote!  But the food looks good.  I was through Tok twice, once on the way to Chicken to celebrate my 45th birthday and then to get onto the Alaska Hwy. on the way to California.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2227
                                          Re:Alaska Sun, 06/30/13 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                          Lisa, I need to plane a trip to Alaska for next year. Do you know any good tour guides ?????? This person would have to like fishing, be willing to lock their spouse in the closet for two weeks with a good supply of Chef Boyardee canned goods. Do you know of a person like this ?????????

lleechef

Re:Alaska Sun, 06/30/13 12:59 PM (permalink)
                                            Ha!  I know just the person for you!!  I was talking to a friend yesterday who said she's afraid to let her kids go with her neighbor to the Columbus Zoo for fear they would get lost.  So I said to MH, "Honey, would you like to go to the zoo?"  But Alaska sounds way better.  Heading to the store now to get a case of Boyardee ravioli. 

pnwchef

Re:Alaska Sun, 06/30/13 1:23 PM (permalink)
                                              Lisa, you know we are both going to catch Hell on this one. I thought this was better than the cement shoes idea............Well, better for "you know who" that is.........

lleechef

Re:Alaska Sun, 06/30/13 4:14 PM (permalink)
                                                Are you really planning a trip to AK next year??  I could fly to ANC to visit my friend Susan and meet you there and be "tour guide".  Mollie would love the polar bears at the ANC zoo!  

pnwchef

Re:Alaska Sun, 06/30/13 10:31 PM (permalink)

Hi Lisa, it's to early to tell right now, this is something I'll start looking at in late Fall for next summer. I have to many thing in the fire to commit right now. It doesn't mean we can't start buying the cement....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com