The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best fried perch in Great Lakes region?

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Wed, 07/25/12 10:32 AM (permalink)
Where have you fellows found the best fried lake (yellow) perch in the Great Lakes region?

In Port Dover, Ontario I prefer the battered perch at Knechtel's on the beach to the somewhat more upscale dining experience and breaded perch at the nearby Erie Beach Hotel.

I can also highly recommend Shutter's on the Beach in Port Bruce for very good perch served in a down home beachside eating environment.

Mackie's in Port Stanley is a landmark location and it's just plain fun. Port Stanley offers far more upscale dining lounges but no trip to Port Stanley is complete without getting orangeade, popcorn, fries or ice cream at Mackie's. And there's nothing wrong with the perch either!

The perch at Archie's Seafood Restaurants in London is also very good! Archie's provides a very good eating experience overall with a much more elaborate menu than at most mom and pop fish 'n chip restaurants. It's a local success story and now has four locations in London. I like the eggs and perch option for breakfast.

Archie's Seafood

I really miss the perch at Barber's chip wagon in southeast Paris, Ontario. We'd stopped by for a rest stop at Barber's a few years ago. Noting our interest in the perch that they were serving as a sidelight, they gave us a nice sized free sample! It was so good that we subsequently detoured off Highway 403 and came back several times for their perch dinner with fried mushrooms or onion rings - and we brought friends with us! Unfortunately, Barber's changed hands some two years ago and now the new owners only serve the perch on Fridays.

<message edited by Hepcat on Sun, 11/4/12 1:57 PM>

Sundancer7

Re:Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Wed, 07/25/12 11:28 AM (permalink)
    I have been to Port Clinton, OH several times and there are many places that serve very good perch.  I have been to Jolly Roger's several times and it was outstanding.
    The best person to answer your question is Michael Hoffman who is an expert in that area.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6255
      Re:Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Wed, 07/25/12 11:35 AM (permalink)
      I really like the perch (and walleye too) at Jolly Roger's in Port Clinton.  We are thinking of taking a ride up there sometime this week.

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
        Re:Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Wed, 07/25/12 11:41 AM (permalink)
        The lake perch from Brennan's Seafood House in Grand River, OH (near Painesville, east of Cleveland) has always been outstanding when I have traveled to the area.  As a bonus, they also have some very good pie, particularly the banana cream pie.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
          Re:Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Wed, 07/25/12 11:43 AM (permalink)
          I don't know about any expertise, but my pick is PortClinton's Jolly Roger. In fact, if the weather's nice tomorrow lleechef and I will be at the Jolly Roger for perch and walleye sandwiches, and some of their onion rings.

We'll also be visiting Camp Perry, where the National Matches (the rifle and handgun target championships) are taking place.

Hepcat

Re:Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Wed, 07/25/12 1:55 PM (permalink)
            lleechef
            I really like the perch (and walleye too) at Jolly Roger's in Port Clinton.  We are thinking of taking a ride up there sometime this week.

Knechtel's in Port Dover has really good walleye (which is all too frequently called pickerel here in Canada). In fact, the walleye may be even better than the perch which is why I typically get the combination plate.

I'm also wondering whether perch is featured in restaurants around Lake Champlain.

<message edited by Hepcat on Fri, 07/27/12 12:21 AM>

badart

• Total Posts: 35
              Re:Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Thu, 07/26/12 5:36 PM (permalink)
              Teiblel's in Schererville, IN has excellent perch sauteed in butter. I also just ate at the Upper Deck on the Boardwalk in Put-In-Bay, OH and had fried perch and walleye and both were excellent.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
                Re:Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Thu, 07/26/12 6:41 PM (permalink)
                We just got back from Port Clinton and the Jolly Roger. I had a walleye sandwich and lleechef had the perch sandwich. Both were wonderful. The order of onion rings we split was great. It was mostly onion and not a lot of batter.

We even stopped in Bucyrus, Ohio -- The Bratwurst Capital of the World -- for some Carle's brats, and we picked up a promised package of rye brat buns for Ann Peeples.
                <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Thu, 07/26/12 8:14 PM>

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6255
                  Re:Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Fri, 07/27/12 1:03 PM (permalink)
                  Us Western Pennsylvanians always brag about our fish sandwiches, but my perch sandwich at Jolly Rodger yesterday could compete with the best of them.  As usual, half-way through my sandwich I discarded the bun and just ate the fish.   It had been dredged in a mixture of cornmeal and flour and seasonings, it was light and delicious.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                    Re:Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Fri, 07/27/12 4:08 PM (permalink)
                    We like this place:

http://www.parkavenuepizzacompany.com/Park_Avenue_Pizza_Company/House_Menu.html

As you can see, they have lots of other choices besides the perch, so it's a good choice for groups of all sizes.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                      Re:Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Fri, 07/27/12 7:52 PM (permalink)
                      Agree with Aimee-the perch is awesome there......

Hepcat

Re:Best fried perch in Great Lakes region? Sun, 11/4/12 2:00 PM (permalink)
                        Another place for very good perch is Roxy's Diner by the lift bridge in downtown Port Stanley.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com