The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Wed, 07/25/12 11:17 PM (permalink)
This is a continuation of our report on the socal trip commencing after we had said good-bye to Sam. It was a highly charged emotional moment but Trudy and we still needed to eat lunch and pass the time until we caught our flight to Portland.
        Our next stop was at the road food reviewed  and highly recommended Los Cinco Puntos mexican grocery and taco stand in East Los Angeles. It was very familiar to me as it was a lot like the texas barbecue belt. You bought meat by the pound, the rules were unclear( you did not need to be here if you did not know how to buy a taco) and  the atmosphere very much like a dive. I ordered a single taco de carnita for a little over $2.00 and got a huge taco loaded with very hot spices, tons of guacamole and my pork. It was huge and tasty. There were a few outside tables( none inside) and all the usual mexican and american sodas were there(the place is more store than anything else.) The taco was huge and the photo from the review on the website here is accurate. Thanks to my good friend Dale whose review led me to seek this place out and to the wonderful folks at Los Cinco Puntos who made such a memorable taco.
      Trudy and I still had 5 hours to kill and heavy hearts. I was partial to the Gene Autry Western museum in Griffith Park but we have a marvelous photo of Sam riding a rocking horse there when he was less than a year old and we determined we would be too sad. We headed west on the Pomona freeway and made our way the Donut shop in Glendora for a return engagement with fresh strawberry doughnuts. The  donuts were just as wondrous  the second time around( this time my pastry had 10 strawberries in it) and we reveled in the wondrous flavors and the joy of road food, where a small doughnut shop in a mysterious social town could provide such culinary delight.
       We continued our meanderings and ended up in what may be the largest outlet mall in the world, Ontario Mills in Ontario, California. I had heard of this place when Sam's team was in the regional baseball tournament in Upland and Ontario but had not realized its immensity. There were 3 large hotels by the mall and outlet stores of all types. We decided to stop at Nieman-Marcus and even I realized the high qualities of the clothes there. We found nothing in trudy's size at Nieman Marcus but some very nice blouses at the Nordstrom Rack for Trudy. I'm not a shopper but it was as pleasant a way to pass the time as anything and I still can't believe the size of the place. Sam called us around 5p.m. and told us he'd had passed his driving test and was now a licensed California driver.None of us expected him to pass so quickly and i admit my surprise. It's another step in his evolution to adulthood and i  guess i can be glad I avoided the over 100 hours of driving time with Sam Oregon would have required of me. And it is a symbol of the changes from a life in portland to a life in socal.
      Ontario is a small airport. All the arirport shops were closed at 5(sic)and there were only about a dozen gates. it was a lot calmer than LAX. Trudy and i were glad to board the plane and start life without Sam at our home.

<message edited by mr chips on Sat, 12/22/12 11:52 PM>

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Thu, 07/26/12 7:01 AM (permalink)
    Jim, I congratulate you and Trudy for your handling of what could have been a very difficult situation for Sam, for you and for the rest of Sam's family.  Your demeanor , despite any misgivings or internal emotions, went a long way to ease the pain of seperation for all concerned.
      Your final travel notes bring back a lot of memories for us. ONT is our airport of choice in the L A area. Janet's mother lives a few minutes away from the terminal, and one of my favorite 'railfan' photo locations is just east of the airport overlooking the UP's Huge West Colton Yards. There is a Farmer Boy's Burger stand on Miliken Ave just south of the Ontario Mills Mall that we use as a daily breakfast or lunch stop when visiting the area.  At the Mills Mall there is a J C Penny outlet that is one of the few places that stock clothing for "Mayor-Sized" Roadfooders" (at discount prices).  Just last month Janet stayed at one of the motels by the Mall, that you mentioned in your notes, as her mother doesn't have room in her tiny apartment for any overnite guests. The motel had every convenience and an on-call shuttle bus to take guests to the mall and then to the airport, so she didn't need a car to get anything she needed during her visit. We love that area of the Inland Empire, and were pleased to read that you enjoyed it also.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
      Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Fri, 07/27/12 1:21 AM (permalink)
      Ben Franklin said, "There's only two things in life that are certain - Death & Taxes".
      I've come to learn that Old Ben was wrong. There's three. Another thing in life that's certain is Change.
      Your lives have changed; Sam's life has changed.
      It's all in how we handle the change.
      Judging from what I've perceived about you and Trudy from all your posts on here, I'm certain you  will handle the change in a positive way.
      Best to youze!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5358
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Fri, 07/27/12 6:14 AM (permalink)
        Jim, I'm glad y'all made the most of a tough situation. Hang in there. We survived after Ava was "taken away" after being with us from birth to 7. It was a good thing though. She's with her Mom and a good step-dad.

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Fri, 07/27/12 8:34 PM (permalink)
          Sam's first couple weeks in socal have been interesting. He bought a new jeep and tricked it out with roll bars. He went to the desert with his cousins and did some offroading and he has been driving his sister around. Interviewed for a job at a clothing store and will be taking his college placement tests on Tuesday. He is obviously enjoying life and texting us reasonably regularly. I still miss him but I'm glad he  is connecting to family.
          <message edited by mr chips on Sat, 07/28/12 7:43 PM>

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Sun, 07/29/12 7:53 AM (permalink)
            Another 4 wheeling trip to the desert for Sam. this time to Lucerne Valley, California.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
              Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Fri, 08/3/12 2:18 AM (permalink)
              Oh the 4 wheeling would worry me more than separation eeeek. Good parenting, Chips.

Al - what was that soul food place where we had our first west coast meet up?

icecreamchick

• Total Posts: 99
                Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Sun, 08/5/12 12:10 PM (permalink)
                *hugs*

Change is never easy, especially when it involves family. Still thinking of all of you.

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Wed, 08/15/12 2:39 AM (permalink)
                  Life after sam has been a little tricky for me.  I have worked closely with my current boss for over a decade. he has been promoted and will become the program manager for the agency. I am happy for him but I know there will be an adjustment.
                        Sam is looking for work.  I hope he gets a job at In N Out where he has applied.
                  <message edited by mr chips on Fri, 08/31/12 3:22 PM>

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Wed, 08/29/12 12:36 AM (permalink)
                    I had a scare with my vision the last month. Two laser surgeries have improved it and i have had to get very serious about diet and blood sugar. I'm eating smarter and a lot less.
                    <message edited by mr chips on Wed, 08/29/12 10:23 PM>

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                      Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Wed, 08/29/12 1:08 AM (permalink)
                      Jim, I've waited to respond.  I wanted to see where this was going and how you are doing.

Sam is not gone.  He's just moved on to a new place in his life. 

You did a great job raising him.  Now he has to raise himself.

Knowing his base, he's going to do just fine.

You can call him, visit him and he can do the same for you.

What a lucky man Sam is to have such a rounded life.

You'll do fine.  Love to both you and Trudy.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                        • Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Fri, 08/31/12 6:30 AM (permalink)
                        Jim
                        I am pleased to read of your improved vision. Keep up the good news, Please.
                        Lucerne Valley? You had to pass thru Hesperia on the way to the Off Road rec. area. That's where I earned my "Mayor" Title  overseeing the rather empty CAJON PASS railfan overlooks !

ELISE... That was WOODY's BBQ on Foothill in front of the "EPICENTER" the minor league baseball park, home of the Cucamonga QUAKES !!  I am not sure if Woody's is still there.

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Fri, 08/31/12 3:21 PM (permalink)
                          Hesperia is where sam's grandparents live as well as a young cousin he is quite fond of.

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Fri, 08/31/12 5:27 PM (permalink)
                            Sam has his first California job. At a yogurt shop in Alhambra.
                            <message edited by mr chips on Thu, 09/6/12 11:04 AM>

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Wed, 09/5/12 10:56 PM (permalink)
                              Sam will be working as a scare actor at Universal studios. I am excited for him.
                              <message edited by mr chips on Thu, 09/6/12 11:04 AM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Thu, 09/6/12 7:10 PM (permalink)
                                How fun for him!!!!!!!!

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Fri, 10/5/12 7:24 PM (permalink)
                                  Sam is very busy with both his jobs and working almost every day.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                    Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Fri, 10/5/12 7:26 PM (permalink)
                                    Good for him! How are you two?

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Sat, 10/6/12 9:32 PM (permalink)
                                      We are well. trudy returned a couple weeks back from a trip to northern virginia. I will have another eye surgery in a month.

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Sat, 10/6/12 9:43 PM (permalink)
                                        Sam will be appearing on the post show talkfest for" Walking Dead"called "Talking Dead" on October 14. The show is on AMC on sundays. He will be the only brown zombie on the show.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                          Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Sun, 10/7/12 8:49 AM (permalink)
                                          How exciting!! I'll definitely be watching!

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Tue, 11/13/12 12:21 AM (permalink)
                                            Sam's job at Universal was seasonal.He stopped after halloween. he is now working at tommy Hilfiger's at the Citadel mall.
                                            <message edited by mr chips on Sun, 11/18/12 10:47 PM>

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Tue, 12/11/12 10:08 PM (permalink)
                                              Sam surprised us and came here for a surprise visit today. I got home from work a little late and he is now out and about in Trudy's car..
                                              <message edited by mr chips on Wed, 12/12/12 12:23 AM>

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Sat, 12/22/12 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                                It has been a pleasant week and a half. Since Sam never had a driver's license when he lived with us it has been an education for all of us and an interesting readjustment. Sam has been seeing a lot of friends. This morning he bought the family doughnuts from the road food reviewed Annie"s, a place he went to 3-4 times a week in junior high. They were very happy to see him and marveled at how my 6'3'' son has continued to grow.
                                                <message edited by mr chips on Fri, 12/28/12 2:15 PM>

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Sat, 12/22/12 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                                   Had to laugh. Sam was complaining about how gray and wet Portland has been for the last week. How soon they forget.

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Fri, 12/28/12 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                                    Sam went with us to Hawthorne Fish House. He loves the fish and chips there which are chile fried and come in a variety of ways. It is also the Packer gathering place and is a lot of fun on game days. Thinking of you ann peoples.He's going back down south in 9 days and I will miss him.

mr chips

Re:Life After Sam, A new beginning for the Chips Family in Socal and beyond Wed, 01/16/13 11:52 PM (permalink)
                                                      It was a fun time when Sam visited us. We saw him a lot but he really wanted to see his friends. He missed his jeep but was willing to drive my little subaru and I sometimes felt I was more of a car rental agency. It was cold and wet and Trudy and I still had to work a lot. Conversations were often over sports center and blazer games and I realize how he has changed with all his California adventures. We visited him in socal just shortly after his return making his departure a bit less painful.
                                                      <message edited by mr chips on Sat, 03/16/13 11:35 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com