The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 91
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sun, 08/5/12 11:36 AM (permalink)
Well, Roadfood.com is cited in this Columbus Dispatch Travel Section piece on the G&R Tavern in Waldo, Ohio, known for its fried bologna sandwiches.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/travel/2012/08/05/1-bologna-has-a-home-at-tavern-in-waldo.html
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Sun, 08/5/12 11:39 AM>

ChiTownDiner

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sun, 08/5/12 12:29 PM (permalink)
    The Chicago Tribune ran an article on G&R 2 weeks ago in the travel section.  Lots of folks commented on a subject the next day at work that relatively few had heard of. 

Michael Hoffman

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sun, 08/5/12 12:48 PM (permalink)
      See, my favorite fried bologna place is famous! Who'da thought? But as famous as it may be I still can't get lleechef to agree to try one. She hates bologna.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
        Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sun, 08/5/12 12:50 PM (permalink)
        Interesting article Michael. I had just read a few weeks ago that fried bologna sandwiches as restauant fare is making an affordable comeback. Some restaurants in Ga. have popularized fried bologna on a bun with a helping of cole slaw on top, much like Carolina pulled pork and it's become a hit that's being emulated. One thing that I've noticed too, is that the local chains Publix an Winn Dixie for years haven't offer any a lternative bologna besides the premium Board's Head or Dietz and Watson in their Deli's even though it's technically available on their Deli order lists. The inexpensive or store branded product hasn't been carried for several years in my area. Recently all the publix's that I have shopped at are again selling store branded regular and garlic bologna again. The previous excuse was it didn't sell and 4 rounds/box were going to waste from the meat manager of the publix I usually shop at. Big difference in price between the premium versions and the only cold cut in the deli under $4.00/lb.

ChiTownDiner

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sun, 08/5/12 1:10 PM (permalink)
          Michael Hoffman

See, my favorite fried bologna place is famous! Who'da thought? But as famous as it may be I still can't get lleechef to agree to try one. She hates bologna.

We enjoy fired bolgogna at home weekly...often for breakfast or lunch.  My wife will not enjoty it either!  My local BBQ place has also got it now and with grilled onions, cheddar cheese and sauce, it is a good seller!

The July Roadfood calendar picture was the bologna sandwich at G&R!!!

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 399
            Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sun, 08/5/12 3:33 PM (permalink)
            Oh my!  I grew up on fried bologna sandwiches, and still crave them!  I love seeing places that serve them.  You can also get bologna (or as we say, baloney) on a biscuit down here in Alabama.  Best place is a gas station off I-65 in Clanton....quite close to Peach Park.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sun, 08/5/12 4:29 PM (permalink)
              ChiTownDiner

Michael Hoffman

We enjoy fired bolgogna at home weekly...often for breakfast or lunch.  My wife will not enjoty it either!  My local BBQ place has also got it now and with grilled onions, cheddar cheese and sauce, it is a good seller!

The July Roadfood calendar picture was the bologna sandwich at G&R!!!

I didn't realize that. I'll have to go dig out the calendar.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
                Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sun, 08/5/12 7:15 PM (permalink)
                DawnT

Interesting article Michael. I had just read a few weeks ago that fried bologna sandwiches as restauant fare is making an affordable comeback. Some restaurants in Ga. have popularized fried bologna on a bun with a helping of cole slaw on top, much like Carolina pulled pork and it's become a hit that's being emulated. One thing that I've noticed too, is that the local chains Publix an Winn Dixie for years haven't offer any a lternative bologna besides the premium Board's Head or Dietz and Watson in their Deli's even though it's technically available on their Deli order lists. The inexpensive or store branded product hasn't been carried for several years in my area. Recently all the publix's that I have shopped at are again selling store branded regular and garlic bologna again. The previous excuse was it didn't sell and 4 rounds/box were going to waste from the meat manager of the publix I usually shop at. Big difference in price between the premium versions and the only cold cut in the deli under $4.00/lb.

Krogers has their private label, Private Selections" deli meat.
                Deli meat is now more expensive than regular meats!!! Bone-in ribeye- $4.77# - Boloney, $5.99#

Foodbme

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 2:39 AM (permalink)
                  Since it's their own "Proprietary Recipe" will they sell it by the pound and can you buy it in stores anywhere?
                  Do I understand correctly - they make it in-house?? Or does some other company make it for them?
                  Sounds like they could make a fortune selling it on-line!
                  http://www.gandrtavern.com/
                  <message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 08/6/12 3:09 AM>

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                    Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 7:42 AM (permalink)
                    Michael Simon, the Iron Chef, has a chain of gourmet burger places around Cleveland, OH.  They serve burgers and fried bologna.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 7:54 AM (permalink)
                      Foodbme

Since it's their own "Proprietary Recipe" will they sell it by the pound and can you buy it in stores anywhere?
                      Do I understand correctly - they make it in-house?? Or does some other company make it for them?
                      Sounds like they could make a fortune selling it on-line!
                      http://www.gandrtavern.com/

They don't make it themselves, and their bologna isn't available in stores. I have no idea whether they'll sell it by the pound.

Tampico

• Total Posts: 84
                        Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 8:15 AM (permalink)
                        G&R tavern is really in the middle nowhere. There fried bologna is about the same as every other place that serves it. Not a bad place. Hamburger they serve would rate a 6 out of 10. Hard to mess up a fried bologna sandwich. Personally I like it better when it is sliced about 1/4 inch.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 8:35 AM (permalink)
                          The middle of nowhere? It's right across from the Delaware Wildlife Area, about 15 miles from Radnor and some 30 miles from Bucyrus.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6219
                            Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 8:47 AM (permalink)
                            I don't care if it's right around the corner.  I'm not eating a fried bologna sandwich!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 10:40 AM (permalink)
                              C'mon. Just try a bite. You can get a double cheeseburger or something.

lleechef

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 11:50 AM (permalink)
                                Nope.  Not even one teeny bite.  I'll just have the cheeseburger.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                  Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 11:52 AM (permalink)
                                  lleechef

I don't care if it's right around the corner.  I'm not eating a fried bologna sandwich!

In the upstate part of South Carolina, the mountainous part, it is prime fried bologna territory. They slice it thick, fry it nice and charred on the outside, real bologna, not that store bought chicken lips stuff. Nice and garlicky. It's a thing of beauty. I take a scenic route and there is a real roadfood place along the way. I always stop and get a fried bologna sandwich!

buffetbuster

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 12:31 PM (permalink)
                                    lleechef

Don't think of it as a fried baloney sandwich.  Think of it as jumbo!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                      Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 1:26 PM (permalink)
                                      lleechef-its not what you think!!!Its good-really really good! Heck, I got Bob to have a brat on those awesome rye rolls you two sent-THAT was a coup!!

lleechef

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 1:44 PM (permalink)
                                        buffetbuster,
                                        If it was jumbo then it would have to be chipped!!
                                        ann,
                                        I'd rather eat a brat on a rye roll than a fried bologna sandwich!  Baloney!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                          Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 1:45 PM (permalink)
                                          LOL, lleechef!!

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                                            Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 2:01 PM (permalink)
                                            I was at the deli counter the other week & a couple ordering had the young girl behind the counter confused.  They wanted the baloney cut about 1/2 inch thick.  The young girl couldn't think what they wanted it for.  Then the guy says, I need it a little thicker than for frying, I'm going to grill it.  That had her really confused.. fry it?? ...grill it?? this is baloney, it's a lunch meat!

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
                                              Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 2:14 PM (permalink)
                                              Just buy the chub and smoke it...

ayersian

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 5:30 PM (permalink)
                                                kevincad

In the upstate part of South Carolina, the mountainous part, it is prime fried bologna territory. They slice it thick, fry it nice and charred on the outside, real bologna, not that store bought chicken lips stuff. Nice and garlicky. It's a thing of beauty. I take a scenic route and there is a real roadfood place along the way. I always stop and get a fried bologna sandwich!

Kevin, would you mind telling us where this place is? I'd certainly like to try that bologna sandwich!  Is it near Clemson?    Chris

Foodbme

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 6:02 PM (permalink)
                                                  Michael Hoffman

C'mon. Just try a bite. You can get a double cheeseburger or something.

You need to buy that girl a few Brewski's before you suggest it next time there.
                                                  Maybe start her out with a Country Boy: 
                                                  "Cheeseburger between two thin slices of Bologna topped with Tomato & Onion - $3.75 "

<message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 08/6/12 6:06 PM>

lleechef

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 6:39 PM (permalink)
                                                    Why ruin a perfectly good cheeseburger with bologna?

Foodbme

Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Mon, 08/6/12 7:29 PM (permalink)
                                                      lleechef

Why ruin a perfectly good cheeseburger with bologna?

It's a good intermediate, "Training Wheels" step to going full Commando!!!!

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
                                                        Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Fri, 08/10/12 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                                        Did you ever get the fried baloney sandwich at the old Kelly's Jet in the East Lake neighborhood of Bham? They also served green Kool Ade from a bubbling fountain.

will_work_4_bbq

Oh my!  I grew up on fried bologna sandwiches, and still crave them!  I love seeing places that serve them.  You can also get bologna (or as we say, baloney) on a biscuit down here in Alabama.  Best place is a gas station off I-65 in Clanton....quite close to Peach Park.

scrumptiouschef

• Total Posts: 640
                                                          • Location: austin, TX
                                                          Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sat, 08/11/12 12:25 PM (permalink)
                                                          In Eastern Kentucky you'd get jumped if you called baloney balogna!
                                                          Fried Baloney Sandwich Recipe:
                                                          Ingredients:
                                                          * 2 Slices Baloney, Thick cut, each slice lightly scored at the noon, 3pm, 6pm and 9 pm positions [ prevents cupping of the meat ]
                                                          * 2 Slices Bread, White
                                                          * Onion, Sweet, Thinly sliced
                                                          * Mayonnaise, enough for spreading
                                                          Method:
                                                          * Heat cast iron pan til good and hot
                                                          * Place baloney in un-oiled pan
                                                          * Cook til nicely browned
                                                          * Spread a skift of mayonnaise on each slice of white bread
                                                          * Add thinly sliced sweet onion, some folks like it on the top, some like it on the bottom. Me I'm a top but if you're a bottom that's alright too.
                                                          * Add fried baloney
                                                          * Compact everything into the classic sandwich format

backstory on growing up eating baloney in Appalachia

http://www.scrumptiousche...Fried-Baloney-Sandwich

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:Fried Bologna And Roadfood.com Sat, 08/11/12 12:48 PM (permalink)
                                                            Around here if you put two slices of fried bologna on a sandwich it would be nearly two inches thick before putting it on bread, and without adding onions or pickles.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 91

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com