The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Del Taco

mar52

• Total Posts: 7596
Del Taco Tue, 08/7/12 6:32 PM (permalink)
It's been maybe 20 or more years since I gave Del Taco a second try.  It was not just bad, it was horribly bad.
It was a shame because it's located on my cross street not far from me.

Today I delivered a load of assorted things (roll top desk included) to the Goodwill drop off center which just happens to be right next door to that Del Taco.

I was hungry and there was a sign in the window stating...  Taco Tuesdays... 3 tacos for $1.

How could I go wrong?

I parked and went inside because I wasn't familiar with their menu.  It's quite extensive. 

I ordered the Tuesday Tacos and was informed that it wasn't available until after 3PM.  It was only 2:30 and I obviously missed some small print somewhere.

But they had carnitas tacos on the menu.  I love carnitas.

I ordered two carnitas tacos without cilantro and the girl that prepared the food made two carnitas tacos with cilantro.  Why can't they read?  The girl that took my order peeked inside before giving them to me and sent them back without any interference from me!

Del Taco is lacking on their sauces, but those carnitas tacos were delicious.  I'll go back!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
    Re:Del Taco Tue, 08/7/12 7:32 PM (permalink)
    IMHO, Del Taco is much better than "The Bell".

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
      Re:Del Taco Wed, 08/8/12 7:29 AM (permalink)
      We just got a Del Taco here in McKinney; here's my "bottom line" in taco chains:  Fuzzy's > Del Taco > Taco Bell.

In all fairness though, comparing Fuzzy's to Taco Bell is a little like comparing Five Guys to McD's: totally different operations selling a products that have in common their name only.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
        Re:Del Taco Wed, 08/8/12 6:08 PM (permalink)
        Hadn't heard of Fuzzy's so I looked them up. There's one In Tempe!
        Tacos & Beer close to ASU??? Smart Marketing!!!
        Basic College Food Groups -
        Ramen Noodles Tacos & Beer!
        Erase, Erase!
        In proper order -
        BEER, Ramen Noodles & Tacos!  

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Del Taco Thu, 08/9/12 8:45 AM (permalink)
          Foodie-  The missing link in your food-chain..... Beer, Ramen Noodles, Lime Jello, combine in one bowl and enjoy with Tacos on the side.

Marlene- Del Taco is another Orange County based chain. Taco Bell, in it's pre-YUM days was headquartered in Irvine, and Del Taco is at the Lake Forest Exit in Laguna Hills. The Del Taco Headquarters is actually on the Leisure World Property there (up against the security fence for the Senior Community).  I often wondered if the old folks had tunneled into that building to raid the place at night!  (My mom lived in that community with 50,000 other "Seniors" for almost 20 years.

mar52

Re:Del Taco Thu, 08/9/12 4:13 PM (permalink)
            My mother has a friend who lives there.  They changed the name.  It's no longer Leisure World.  I guess Laguna Woods sounds better.

Didn't Pepsico and Purina (not at the same time)  once own Taco Bell?

You can see their headquarters from the I5.

I went to the wedding of a girl who's father owned Pup 'n Taco.  He sold to Taco Bell as they just wanted his locations.  That was back in the early '80s.  I don't even remember her name.  I just knew David the man she married.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:Del Taco Thu, 08/9/12 4:50 PM (permalink)
              Yeah Taco Bell was part of Pepsi for many years. As was KFC, LJ Silvers, Pizza Hut and Burger King.  Not sure what the link between YUM Brands and Pepsico is today.

marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
                Re:Del Taco Fri, 08/10/12 1:53 AM (permalink)
                taco bell, kfc and pizza hut were part of pepsi whem it was called tricon global, with the whitman corporation owning it all along with midas muffler shops, among other things... when whitman sold off pepsi, tricon split and became yum! brands, so the pepsi connection isn't as strong as it used to be. some of the taco bell stores around here have coke products as well as pepsi products now, but not all of them..

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                  Re:Del Taco Sun, 08/12/12 4:37 PM (permalink)
                  Del Taco moved back to Georgia this year.  There are three stores in the Atlanta 'burbs, with another 57 planned the next four years.

I make no apologies for liking Del Taco as much as I do, as it really is reliable, tasty and flavorful.  I've never had a bad experience there, ever, and it's the only large scale fast food chain I will patron.  They could do with some different flavors on the salsa bar, mind.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                    Re:Del Taco Sun, 08/12/12 4:53 PM (permalink)
                    Bring back Zantigo.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Del Taco Sun, 08/12/12 5:49 PM (permalink)
                      Heartbreak... I'm with you. Del Taco in SoCal,  is/was a full point above the Bell, Taco Tico, and Taco Johns. The only one that has made it into this area so far is Taco Bell, and I really don't think much of them.  The closest J I B is in Nashville, so when we head south I usually do a Greasy Taco Stop there...Still 2/99 cents !

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                        Re:Del Taco Mon, 08/13/12 2:15 PM (permalink)
                        I think they once had a Del Taco in Rolling Oaks Mall in San Antonio, or was that a Taco Time. Needless to say it's not in the mall anymore. Never heard of Fuzzy's.
                        I just go to the local mexican places here for tacos,and the rest of the goodies.

mar52

Re:Del Taco Tue, 10/2/12 8:41 PM (permalink)
                          Darn you, Del Taco!

I've been thinking about those delicious, carnitas tacos you sold to me the last couple of times I visited you so I went again today.

What?  What do you mean you're not selling carnitas tacos anymore?

Seems it was a seasonal item.

Can someone please tell me what season is carnitas season?

Their other food tastes like fast food, pseudo Mexican, cheap chain food. 

Guess I'll have to wait for some sort of an ad or something.

Alas.  They were so good!

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
                            • Location: Carroll County, People's Republic of Maryland
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Del Taco Thu, 10/4/12 2:14 PM (permalink)
                            The late Lewis Grizzard always wrote about Del Taco and it made me want to visit one.

One of these days hopefully.

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
                              Re:Del Taco Thu, 10/4/12 3:51 PM (permalink)
                              mayor al

Yeah Taco Bell was part of Pepsi for many years. As was KFC, LJ Silvers, Pizza Hut and Burger King.  Not sure what the link between YUM Brands and Pepsico is today.

Burger King has not in recent history been a part of YUM Brands.  In 1997 Pizza Hut, KFC and Taco Bell were all part of Tricon Global Restaurants, a wholly owned subsidiary of Pepsico. In October of that year Pepsico spun off one share of Tricon for every ten shares of its own to Pepsico shareholders. Tricon acquired Long John Silver's and A & W's operations in the U.S.A. in March 2002 and announced a name change to YUM Brands. The WingStreet chain was then launched in 2007. The Long John Silver and A & W chains were then sold by YUM brands in September 2011 because they did not fit in with YUM's international expansion plans.

So YUM today is mostly Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell and WingStreet. YUM now operates nearly 38,000 restaurants around the world in more than 110 countries. It's actually been a very good investment to this point, and so has Pepsico.

marzsit
                              ....so the pepsi connection isn't as strong as it used to be. some of the taco bell stores around here have coke products as well as pepsi products now, but not all of them.

The Pepsi connection is still as strong as ever as Pepsi has a lifetime contract to supply YUM restaurants. Preexisting contracts by some franchisees such as Host Marriott Services Corporation and some colleges with Coca-Cola do, however, override the deal with Pepsi.

<message edited by Hepcat on Thu, 10/4/12 3:58 PM>

Antilope

• Total Posts: 56
                                Re:Del Taco Tue, 12/25/12 2:15 PM (permalink)
                                I had a Del Taco crunchy taco years ago. The red sauce on it looked like and tasted like ketchup. Yuk!
                                <message edited by Antilope on Tue, 12/25/12 2:36 PM>

strongy78

• Total Posts: 64
                                  Re:Del Taco Tue, 12/25/12 4:51 PM (permalink)
                                  Big fan of Del Taco.  I have one within 1000 feet of my house.  Try the chicken soft tacos with no white sauce.  99 cents and they are surprisingly good.  Try it with their Del Scorcho sauce.  The mild sauce from there IS like ketchup.  The Del Scorcho is tasty though and has just enough spice. 

I got a deal on Cyber Monday too.  You buy a $100 gift card and they gave me two $25.00 giftcards, a set of playing cards, a beer pong set AND a free combo meal coupon.  One hell of a deal!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com