The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving Thu, 08/9/12 3:27 AM (permalink)
Many Roadfood visitors as well as locals have extolled the virtues of Matt's Big Breakfast joint in Phoenix. Even Guy on DDD has been there. 
Problem is Matt's Big Breakfast ain't very big. If you're coming to PHX after this month and go looking for Matt's, it ain't there! It's moved up the street.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/20120721matts-big-breakfast-moving-larger-quarters-nearby.html
The old joint:

Some of the Chow:

http://mattsbigbreakfast.com/
<message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 08/9/12 3:32 AM>

Davwud

• Total Posts: 504
    Re:Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving Thu, 08/9/12 7:43 AM (permalink)
    I had breakfast last fall and it was fabulous.
    Even though it was waaaay tooooo small, it had it's charm. Hopefully the new place will be able to keep the same vibe.
    http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...tts-big-breakfast.html

DT

Foodbme

Re:Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving Thu, 08/9/12 5:09 PM (permalink)
      Davwud

I had breakfast last fall and it was fabulous.
      Even though it was waaaay tooooo small, it had it's charm. Hopefully the new place will be able to keep the same vibe.
      http://davwudsfoodcourt.b...tts-big-breakfast.html
      DT

As I understand it, It should be OK.
      They plan to take all the crusted-on Grease in the kitchen with them to maintain the flavors!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
        Re:Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving Fri, 11/30/12 12:10 PM (permalink)
        We tried Matt's today.  Mediocre, at best. 

The tiny OJ was bitter and expensive.  The meats were really good, omelet and home fries were decent.  Our waffle was poor.  We have had better at make-it-yourself hotel buffets.

Service sucked.  Our waitress ignored our order when it was ready and left it sitting until another server brought it five minutes later.  There was no heat lamp apparent while the food cooled off as she ignored it.  She actually hung the slip for another order over our food without bringing it to us.  She had to get a glass of water to another customer first.

My guess is the restaurant's small size created a buzz among the locals who have never had a really good breakfast.

Davwud

• Total Posts: 504
          Re:Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving Fri, 11/30/12 12:45 PM (permalink)
          JRPfeff

The tiny OJ was bitter and expensive.  The meats were really good, omelet and home fries were decent.  Our waffle was poor.  We have had better at make-it-yourself hotel buffets.

Service sucked.  Our waitress ignored our order when it was ready and left it sitting until another server brought it five minutes later.  There was no heat lamp apparent while the food cooled off as she ignored it.  She actually hung the slip for another order over our food without bringing it to us.  She had to get a glass of water to another customer first.

My guess is the restaurant's small size created a buzz among the locals who have never had a really good breakfast.

Well as I said, my one visit was fantastic. There was nothing I had that I wouldn't gladly order again.
          Sadly, I was worried the place just wouldn't be the same after the move. Perhaps not.
          Also, I was waited on by a young guy. My service was just fine.

DT

Foodbme

Re:Matt's Big Breakfast in PHX is moving Sat, 12/1/12 12:42 AM (permalink)
            JRPfeff

I've not been to the new place yet but based on 3 trips to the old place, I'm in no hurry to go either. i was underwhelmed by the food and service at the old place. I went back the second time because I thought maybe they were just having a bad day. Went back a 3rd time to confirm trips 1 & 2 were for real. They were. There won't be a trip 4!
            Jim,
            Don't know if you're in town this weekend or not but if so, check out The Tempe Festival of the Arts. It's rated one of the top 20 festivals in the Nation.
             http://www.tempefestivalofthearts.com/festival-facts Good Breakfast Hole-In-the-Wall in Tempe - Harlow's Cafe - University & Hardy in Tempe. It'll be crowded but worth the wait especially for the biscuits. No web site. go to Urbanspoon.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com