The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Fri, 08/24/12 6:48 PM (permalink)

Summer Nights: Frozen Custard In St. Louis

August 24, 2012 from KBIA As part of our "Summer Nights" series, we travel to a custard stand along old Route 66 in St. Louis, Mo. For more than 80 years, Ted Drewes Frozen Custard has been a traditional way for locals to cap off their night out on the town.
http://pd.npr.org/anon.np...120824_atc_07.mp3?dl=1

Extreme Glow

Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Fri, 08/24/12 6:57 PM (permalink)
    Makes me want to walk down the street and get one.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Sat, 08/25/12 12:31 AM (permalink)
      A surefire stop for us on the way to HogHunt 2012 next month. We'll be looking for the Tart Cherry/Hot Fudge Sundae !!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
        Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Sat, 08/25/12 1:50 AM (permalink)
        I know this will infuriate my friends north of the Cheddar Curtain, but, IMHO, Ted Drewes' custard beats out both Kopp's and Leon's.  And I love Kopp's and Leon's, so what does that tell you about Ted Drewes?

Buddy

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
          Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Sat, 08/25/12 7:15 AM (permalink)
          I guess you,ve never been to a Jersey Shore boardwalk and tried KOHR'S

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
            Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Sat, 08/25/12 10:04 AM (permalink)
            Ted Drewes is terrific frozen custard and an iconic Route 66 experience.  I've only been twice -- but that's every time I've been to St. Louis.
            That said, it is hard to beat the black walnut ice cream at the Crown Candy Kitchen!  

ChiTownDiner

Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Sun, 08/26/12 10:39 AM (permalink)
              Hit Ted's up on Saturday afternoon...was as good as ever!  My choice, Rasperberry, hot fudge and macadamia nuts! 

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Mon, 08/27/12 10:17 AM (permalink)
                BuddyRoadhouse

I know this will infuriate my friends north of the Cheddar Curtain, but, IMHO, Ted Drewes' custard beats out both Kopp's and Leon's.  And I love Kopp's and Leon's, so what does that tell you about Ted Drewes?

Buddy

Wow. Strong words, my friend.

I think Cliff and I have had this discussion. They are just two different things - Kopp's vs Ted Drewes (lumping Leon's in with Kopp's for the sake of this discussion, though I am partial to Kopp's).  I love them both equally. While I am not a parent, I would think of this like trying to choose your favorite child.

I am glad I live in a world where I have semi-annual access to both Kopp's and Ted Drewes.

buffetbuster

Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Mon, 08/27/12 10:21 AM (permalink)
                  TTM-
                  Next time at Ted Drewes, you should try the TiraMizzou.  I think you would like it!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                    Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Mon, 08/27/12 12:59 PM (permalink)
                    Hmm....what's in it?  I'll be there in about 7 weeks. You know how I like to plan my menu ahead of time.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Mon, 08/27/12 2:06 PM (permalink)
                      TTM,
                      My feeling in regard to Kopp's versus Leon's mirrors what some of my Milwaukee friends think; for basic custard quality and flavor, Leon's comes out on top.  But the high quality and generous quantity of Kopp's excellent mix-ins gives them the overall edge.

As for Milwaukee custard compared to St. Louis custard, I reckon you are correct; two different critters that both deserve equal amounts of love.

Buddy

ChiTownDiner

Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Mon, 08/27/12 3:06 PM (permalink)
                        I am fully in the Kopp's camp...vs. Anderson's, Leon's and Ted's!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Mon, 08/27/12 5:07 PM (permalink)
                          The Travelin Man

Hmm....what's in it?  I'll be there in about 7 weeks. You know how I like to plan my menu ahead of time.

And  you know how I fly by the seam of my pants

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Tue, 08/28/12 12:24 AM (permalink)
                            leethebard

I guess you,ve never been to a Jersey Shore boardwalk and tried KOHR'S

I'm at the Shore right now, and had Kohr's yesterday.  It's such a gigantic dropoff from Ted Drewes and Kopp's that I wouldn't mention them in the same sentence (I didn't even do that in this post).  In my opinion, it's just OK.  In Ocean City- George's is the best ice cream for my money.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Tue, 08/28/12 1:56 AM (permalink)
                              I'm glad this is between two Jersey boys.  There's enough East Coast/Midwest tension around here as it is.  Let the locals fight it out while we eat Frozen Custard.

Keeping my distance,
                              Buddy

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                                Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Tue, 08/28/12 5:47 AM (permalink)
                                I hope Kohr's is as good as it gets for custard.  Too much air, too much sugar.  No way a Kohr's shake could be served upside down.  It's soft serve with some egg solids.  A lot of their locations have closed down over the last few years, meanwhile places like Drewes and Shake Shack have lines out the door.  That should tell you something.  Maybe there's something about the shore that people will eat anything.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Ted Drewes Frozen Custard Featured on NPR Tue, 08/28/12 1:33 PM (permalink)
                                  Actually, Ted Drewes is an open air, walk-up window with no doors, hence the lines.

Buddy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com