The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
  • Roadfood Insider
The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Sun, 09/16/12 1:15 PM (permalink)
We enjoyed out Hog and Deer Hunt in Missouri last week. You can see a brief report on the Firearms thread in the Misc Forum...But the news that matters here is...We had planned to meet Lleechef and MH at Zeno's Steakhouse in Rolla, MO the night before going into the hunting camp.  Zenos is an old favorite of ours, open for many years, and we were looking forward to some fine Beef and good company...But not to be.
When we pulled up. the place was gone...Apparently they heard the MH and Lisa had cancelled their visit, so they not only closed, but tore the whole building down to show their disappointment !!
Here is the sign of a MAJOR T T M !!!

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 508
    Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Sun, 09/16/12 7:11 PM (permalink)

What is TTM ?
    Tornado Through Missouri?

Thanks.

Glenn

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Sun, 09/16/12 7:27 PM (permalink)
      Travelin manned-where a restaurant is either closed or no longer there-our friend here on roadfood had some bad experiences with restaurants that way....

Glenn1234

Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Sun, 09/16/12 10:20 PM (permalink)

Okay, thanks.    Saying TTM to indicate a restaurant was closed seems to be a pretty obscure way of communicating that information.   There have been several other things on the RoadFood site I hadn't bothered to ask about, but don't know the background.  One of those terms was "Glee Club", though I found nothing about a singing group associated with the RoadFood site.  What is meant by "Glee Club"?

Unless someone is "in on the secret", those insider terms mean nothing to the average Joe trying to "decode" the information on the site.   To the average Joe visiting the RoadFood site, it seems to have become a bit "insider-centric". 

A helpful reminder before posting would be to assume that anyone who reads the posts is a newer user of the RoadFood site.  This way, there are no misunderstandongs or confusion.  ... And, newer visitors won't feel like outsiders amongst a plethora of "insider only" terminology.

Much thanks.

Glenn

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6205
          Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Sun, 09/16/12 10:44 PM (permalink)
          Sorry Glenn.  I guess a bunch of us Roadfooders have been hanging around here for so many years and each other that we know what TTM and Glee Club means.  We've been to meals together, traveled to destinations to get together, etc.  Sometimes I guess that we forget that not everyone knows what we're talking about. 
          TTM translates as The Travelin Man who is a Roadfooder known to go to a destination only to find it closed.....forever!
          The Glee Club started I don't know how but it involved about 5 guys who would get together and go to Roadfood places.  This has now become the annual "Glee Club Meet" somewhere around President's Day.  Now everyone is invited.  My husband and I attended the "Glee Club" this year in Nashville.  A GREAT time to visit friends, eat and just generally have a good time.
          Hang around, you won't be disappointed.   

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6205
            Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Sun, 09/16/12 10:51 PM (permalink)
            Al, the reason Zeno's closed is because they actually heard the MH WAS GOING TO DINE THERE!  Sheesh, that's enough to make anybody run for the hills!  And then they heard he was bringing his chef wife.........hurry up, everybody jump into the moat!

Glenn1234

Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Sun, 09/16/12 11:32 PM (permalink)

Thanls lleechef.   That type of thing happens in all kinds of website groups.  I belong to a boating forum, and many of the members have known each other for years, and we occaisionally use acronymns that newer members might not be familiar with.  We often have to give ourselves a friendly reminder that the site is for a larger audience, and not just the "regulars".  
              I have been enjoying RoadFood joints for years, going back to the days of some of the Sterns' earlier "RoadFood" books.  But, I have only been on the RoadFood website for a couple years, popping in and out occaisionally.  
              Overall, a great, informative website. 

Thanks.

Glenn

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Sun, 09/16/12 11:46 PM (permalink)
                Maybe it DID get hit by a Tornado! Remember Joplin??
                Glenn1234,
                The range and reach of Roadfooders goes beyond just communicating on here.
                There are a number of groups that get together periodically that have formed as a result of their interaction on here.
                There's also an Annual member wide gathering where members gather with the founders of this forum. There's a gathering in Conn. in Sept. open to everyone. There's been some discussion on here about it.
                http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/2012-Roadfood-Eating-Tour-Connecticut-m705345.aspx
                Since you're in NOVA, it wouldn't be too far to go to join in.
                Here's the Forum where all the various gatherings are posted in case you'd ever like to attend one..
                http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Eat-and-Greets-Roadfood-Gettogethers-f46.aspx
                Feel free to join any of them. There are no strangers on Roadfood!

<message edited by Foodbme on Sun, 09/16/12 11:51 PM>

Glenn1234

• Location: Northern VA (the nasty Washington D.C. 'burbs part
                  Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Sun, 09/16/12 11:58 PM (permalink)

Thanks Foodbme.  The CT tour looks interesting.  Janet (wife) and I were up there a few weeks ago, and hit up Lenny & Joe's Fish Tale, Zuppardi's Appiza, SeaSwirl, Rawley's hotdogs, and Glenwood Drive-In.   I'm originally from RI, and in RI we also hit up Stanley's Burgers, Aunt Carrie's, and Phil's Diner. All great, except for Aunt Carrie's, which is nothing like it was in the 1970s and 1980s. 

We can't make it to the upcoming CT tour, but might be able to attend a future tour.   

Much thanks.

Glenn

buffetbuster

Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Mon, 09/17/12 8:59 AM (permalink)
                    MayorAl-
                    TTM usually settles for just having a closed sign on a restaurants front door.  You should feel privileged that he arranged something special for you!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                      Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Mon, 09/17/12 2:50 PM (permalink)
                      How do you like that? I was Travelingmanned and I didn't even get to make the trip.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                        Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Mon, 09/17/12 5:33 PM (permalink)
                        Imagine what would have happened if you were there! ;-)

Glenn1234, I feel your pain. Heck, I don't even know what TTM means, but, apparently, it was mentioned in one of the Stern's recent books. I guess if it is in a book, it must be true.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                          Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Mon, 09/17/12 5:34 PM (permalink)
                          If I'd been there? That's too horrible to contemplate.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Mon, 09/17/12 6:05 PM (permalink)
                            Nahh, We missed you Michael. In fact we're going back after you visit the place to see what animals are left !! They are making some decent deals for a Spring visit.

Glenn1234

• Location: Northern VA (the nasty Washington D.C. 'burbs part
                              Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Mon, 09/17/12 6:08 PM (permalink)
                              The Travelin Man

Glenn1234, I feel your pain. Heck, I don't even know what TTM means, but, apparently, it was mentioned in one of the Stern's recent books. I guess if it is in a book, it must be true.

Thanks Travelin man.  I do have that book.  Do you recall where TTM is mentioned? 

Much thanks.

Glenn

ann peeples

Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Mon, 09/17/12 6:46 PM (permalink)
                                Sorry, Glenn. We kind of coined the phrase a couple of years ago, where our friend looked for restauarants that were suddenly closed. Just having fun.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                  Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Tue, 09/18/12 11:41 PM (permalink)
                                  ann peeples

Sorry, Glenn. We kind of coined the phrase a couple of years ago, where our friend looked for restauarants that were suddenly closed. Just having fun.

"We?"

For the record, buffetbuster coined the phrase. 

Glenn1234

The Travelin Man

Thanks Travelin man.  I do have that book.  Do you recall where TTM is mentioned? 

Much thanks.

Glenn

I think it is just listed as "travelin' man." It is one of the entries. Your best bet is to hit the index in the back.

ann peeples

Re:The Ultimate TTM, Zeno's in Rolla, MO Wed, 09/19/12 4:09 AM (permalink)
                                    Sorry-meant "we" as in roadfood people. Thats where I learned the phrase. Meant no dis respect.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com