The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches

JBJRConcessions

• Total Posts: 7
Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Wed, 09/19/12 8:27 PM (permalink)
Ok, I'm new to the concession game, so I got a question: If I want to do pulled pork sandwiches in my trailer, and the food has to be prepared onsite, what is going to be the best way to go about cooking this? We ve thought of using 12" stock pots and putting the pork roast in on end... would this be feaseable? Any ideals would be appreciated, thanks everybody!!

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
    Re:Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Fri, 09/21/12 12:44 PM (permalink)
    First of all pork roast??? you would want pork butt or shoulder, butt is better IMHO. Get yourself a small portable smoker from Southern Pride, smoke it a day in advance,  pull it on the day of use, hold it in a tub of warm, spiced chicken broth or warm eastern carolina vinegaar sauce. When serving pull your portions out , shake off excess broth, onto your roll, paint it with sauce, Voila!

KurtSara

• Total Posts: 181
      Re:Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Sun, 09/23/12 4:11 PM (permalink)
      JBJRConcessions

Ok, I'm new to the concession game, so I got a question: If I want to do pulled pork sandwiches in my trailer, and the food has to be prepared onsite, what is going to be the best way to go about cooking this? We ve thought of using 12" stock pots and putting the pork roast in on end... would this be feaseable? Any ideals would be appreciated, thanks everybody!!

maybe you posted this in the BBQ forum by mistake but to make BBQ pork you don't boil it in a stockpot.

We just vended yesterday at a chili contest from 12-4 we put 6-9 pound butts, 2-14 pound briskets, 1-10 pound corned beef brisket on the smoker at 8pm friday evening, at 6am we put 8 racks of st louis spare ribs and 2-#10 cans of doctored up beans and did 4 more cans of beans during the 4 hours.

Didn't boil anything.

<message edited by KurtSara on Sun, 09/23/12 4:12 PM>

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
        Re:Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Sun, 09/23/12 5:18 PM (permalink)
        My SIL used to boil pork, maybe still does, but it was awful. Just took any taste out of it.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
          Re:Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Sun, 09/23/12 5:27 PM (permalink)
          Boiled pork, LOL! you may as well boil old shoes, just as tasty!

BBQ Seeker

• Total Posts: 15
            Re:Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Mon, 10/15/12 6:46 PM (permalink)
            Boiling, really? The noble pig lived his life, eating the right food, and gave that life so that you could have a fine meal, and you reward him by boiling his a$$? Peta is going to get you!

JBJRConcessions

• Total Posts: 7
              Re:Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Mon, 10/22/12 6:22 AM (permalink)
              That's why I love this site....if you don't know what you're doing, people are not afraid to tell you you don't! Here's how I see it: If someone can't take constructive criticism, they shouldn't be attempting something like this. Just those couple of comments tell me I better research my food styles a LOT MORE. Thanks for putting me in my place everybody.

Buck & Vi's

• Total Posts: 822
                Re:Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Tue, 10/23/12 6:18 PM (permalink)
                some more food for thought, you could also use a crock pot.....i do a pulled pork special that i do in  the crockm pot over night mixed with some seasonings then pull the next day, mine has a keep warm button so i just set it there and forget it till its time to pull i pull it about 30 min before serving, i put it in a full pan in the steamer mixed with some sauce, served with slaw,and a drink .. it stays good till gone ....which is about 1 1/2 hrs.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                  Re:Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Wed, 10/24/12 8:08 AM (permalink)
                  A warmer/roaster will work too and can cook 2 or 3 (may be 4) at the same time.    I would smoke the butts for 1 1/2 hrs then move them to the roaster set at 190/200 deg F to finish in about 5 hr or set at 250 deg to finish in about 3 hr.   Do the smoking at your commissary  while you are cleaning and stocking the truck.  Either finish overnight or on-site.

Oh  ... I do turkey and ham this way overnight for Thanksgiving and Christmas.   ... GREAT! ...
                  <message edited by edwmax on Wed, 10/24/12 8:32 AM>

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7751
                    Re:Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Wed, 10/24/12 10:02 AM (permalink)
                    You have to find out if there are limitations or restrictions within that must be prepared on-site regulation. When they say "must be..." anything they usually have some other must or must nots to go along with it.

Many times it's hell no to the use of appliances meant more for home use not to support business preparation...especially when you're not on-site during the run.

Now that some people rig up their own homemade Sous Vide system by using a crock pot...it could be a faster NO NO NO.
                    <message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 10/24/12 10:29 AM>

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                      Re:Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Wed, 10/24/12 10:57 AM (permalink)
                      Commercial grade slow cooker (aka crock pot) and roaster/warmers are available.

http://www.hubert.com/pres290123/Commercial-Roaster-Oven-Warmer.html

and http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Commercial-Roaster-Oven-c110p25290.html
                      <message edited by edwmax on Wed, 10/24/12 11:00 AM>

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7751
                        Re:Best way to cook pork onsite for pulled pork sandwiches Wed, 10/24/12 11:12 AM (permalink)
                        Many companies slap "commercial" in the tag...but don't really include or add many or any features to the venue...that would add any additional pluses to sway consideration as far as decision....other than a shiny exterior and/or are larger than most other standard size models.

As written...many regs. will prohibit the use of crock pots (slow cookers) rice cookers warming plates...period.
                        <message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 10/24/12 11:38 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com