The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Whole Belly Clams in Myrtle Beach area!

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
Whole Belly Clams in Myrtle Beach area! Fri, 10/5/12 3:46 PM (permalink)
I'm headed down to my condo in early December and impulsively did a google search for the above. Much to my surprise I found a place. It's down by Pawleys Island and they feature whole bellies, lobster rolls, and fresh haddock from MA. Clams come in every Monday and Thursday and sell out quickly. Will post some feedback (NPI) upon my return. I haven't had a whole belly clam since 1980 on Cape Cod.
http://captainjohnsseafoodgrill.com/

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1493
    Re:Whole Belly Clams in Myrtle Beach area! Fri, 10/5/12 9:04 PM (permalink)
    Oh GAWD.............I may have to move my choice of Retirement home!....Can't wait to hear

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
      Re:Whole Belly Clams in Myrtle Beach area! Sat, 10/6/12 4:10 PM (permalink)
      Pancho, 6 oz dinner portion, with side of fries, they better me making their own tartar sauce. With a 6 oz portion, you should have room for a Lobster roll, if not, then have one for dessert............Have fun..............

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
        Re:Whole Belly Clams in Myrtle Beach area! Sat, 10/6/12 5:49 PM (permalink)
        With a six ounce portion of fried clams it would be time for a 12 ounce portion of fried clams, a lobster roll and a two-pound lobster stuffed with lobster and crab. And after that appetizer ... .

Pancho

Re:Whole Belly Clams in Myrtle Beach area! Sat, 10/6/12 6:18 PM (permalink)
          Michael Hoffman

With a six ounce portion of fried clams it would be time for a 12 ounce portion of fried clams, a lobster roll and a two-pound lobster stuffed with lobster and crab. And after that appetizer ... .
          Good points, guys. I had already ordered a double whole belly portion, a crab cake, and a lobster roll (in my mind's eye anyway). I'm a true believer in those newfangled small plates.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
            Re:Whole Belly Clams in Myrtle Beach area! Sat, 10/6/12 7:12 PM (permalink)

Pancho

Re:Whole Belly Clams in Myrtle Beach area! Fri, 12/14/12 8:31 AM (permalink)
              Well, I'm back from my Myrtle Beach trip and checked out the whole bellies at Capt John's down close to Litchfield Beach.  He gets them in on Mondays and Thursdays and usually sells out in a day! I got in at noon on a Friday and literally called from the airport to see if he had any left....NONE. So, I waited until Monday and they were FANTASTIC. I used to work in MA and on the Cape and these were every bit as good. I got two "appetizer" orders and there were two huge mounds on a dinner plate. Not cheap...12 bucks a pop. Perfectly cooked with a great house made tartar sauce. I also had a bowl of fresh haddock chowder (he gets haddock in from MA, too). Memorable lunch! Headed back down in February with my wife....she has never had any whole bellies, but loves fried oysters. She's in for a treat.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1493
                Re:Whole Belly Clams in Myrtle Beach area! Sat, 12/15/12 4:41 PM (permalink)
                Price is no object...............if the clams are good!

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
                  Re:Whole Belly Clams in Myrtle Beach area! Sun, 12/23/12 7:54 PM (permalink)
                  Great to see you found a new treasure in a town you own your Condo at. I bet you are looking forward to your next trip there...............pnwc

Pancho

Re:Whole Belly Clams in Myrtle Beach area! Mon, 12/24/12 8:33 AM (permalink)
                    pnwchef

Great to see you found a new treasure in a town you own your Condo at. I bet you are looking forward to your next trip there...............pnwc
                    Thanks for the nice thought. I'm going down again on 2/16 and bringing my wife this time. We are checking out the clam place the first Monday in town. She has never had them....in a way I hope she doesn't like them....MORE for me! Merry Christmas!
                    Well, we never made it in February....I had a major knee injury on 2/15 (total rupture of the quadriceps tendon), and had to cancel. Just now getting back to normal in over six months. Horrible, gruesome injury. Anyway, we are leaving this Saturday (9/7) for another go. I hope they still get their clams...last time I checked he told me they were having a problem due to a red tide. More to follow...
                    <message edited by Pancho on Tue, 09/3/13 4:17 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com