The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's for BREAKFAST...???

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 11 of 24, messages 301 to 330 of 720
CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7750
Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Tue, 05/7/13 8:21 PM (permalink)
They have their own private labels (like Kirkland to Costco).No job lots. They're the parent company of Trader Joe's.

They are taking over the spots of Fresh & Easy. Some stores will be Trader Joe's...some will be Aldi.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 05/7/13 8:49 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Thu, 05/9/13 10:28 AM (permalink)
    Just juice so Beet it...

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
      Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Thu, 05/9/13 1:00 PM (permalink)
      Darn, I don't even have a convenient Fresh & Easy.

I might have to drive all the way to Redondo Beach if Aldis takes up that space.

CCinNJ

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Thu, 05/9/13 1:13 PM (permalink)
        I give you credit for the amount of patience you must have driving in California.

I'd paddle the Kayak to Redondo Beach!

CCinNJ

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Fri, 05/10/13 11:13 AM (permalink)
          Fresh early juice & a 5-mile run...

CCinNJ

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Fri, 05/10/13 11:44 AM (permalink)
            It was humid this morning...

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
              Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Sat, 05/11/13 12:22 PM (permalink)
              My daughter Emily and I stopped at a local diner for breakfast before food shopping.
              Mine:

Her's:

She was very happy because she didn't have to ask for a separate plate for her eggs. Some places put everything on the same plate and she has to ask for an extra.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1275
                Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Sat, 05/11/13 12:26 PM (permalink)
                Makes me wish I liked poached eggs--those are so pretty. 

Cute cookie, CC!!

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                  Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Sat, 05/11/13 2:12 PM (permalink)
                  Scrapple and eggs over easy.  (couldn't get photobucket to work)

love2bake

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Sun, 05/12/13 3:07 PM (permalink)
                    Do you make your own scrapple?

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                      Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Sun, 05/12/13 4:01 PM (permalink)
                      love2bake

Not so far, but I do have a few recipes.  One of these days I'll get a mess of neck bones and give it a try.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2236
                        Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Sun, 05/12/13 4:02 PM (permalink)
                        agnesrob

My daughter Emily and I stopped at a local diner for breakfast before food shopping.
                        Mine:

Her's:

She was very happy because she didn't have to ask for a separate plate for her eggs. Some places put everything on the same plate and she has to ask for an extra.

Agnes, nothing like poached eggs and hash. Good idea eating before you went food shopping, you lowered your food bill by $100 by doing so.............Happy Mothers day...........pnwc

love2bake

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Sun, 05/12/13 5:21 PM (permalink)
                          ChrisOC

love2bake

Not so far, but I do have a few recipes.  One of these days I'll get a mess of neck bones and give it a try.

Me, neither.  My mom used to make it with braised pork, cornmeal, and spices/herbs.  I have no idea how authentic it was but I liked it.

mar52

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Sun, 05/12/13 5:52 PM (permalink)
                            My brother took us, his family and Mom out for Brunch at Akasha in Downtown, Culver City.

They had a special Mother's Day Brunch Menu.

It was difficult to choose but I chose the Croque Madame.  The description sounded right, and it included Mornay Sauce.

I couldn't eat it.  Their idea of Mornay Sauce was more like a creamed horseradish sauce, probably right out of the squeeze bottle.

Along side of the sandwich was a stack of what I call weeds.  I took a fork full and Sharon laughed at my expression.  I told her to taste them.  When she did, I laughed even harder at her expression.

The dressing was nothing more than pure lemon juice.  No oil, salt or pepper.

Sharon had a burger which she liked.  The others had...

Chiliquilies, brisket hash with a poached egg, eggs with lox and potato pancakes and a bowl of granola with fresh berries.

I think the granola or the hash was the best of the choices.

In the bowl of granola were some berries no one at the table had ever seen before.  I asked what they were and found out they were Himalayan Mulberries.  I'd never seen any kind of mulberry before.  I tasted it.  I guess they're more for decoration than eating.

I'm hoping their every day menu is better than their special Mother's Day menu.

love2bake

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Sun, 05/12/13 6:10 PM (permalink)
                              Bummer!  Sometimes modern twists on classics are quite ill founded.    Brisket hash sounds yummy, though.

Here's a croque monsieur I got earlier this year.  The greens look like yours, but they were properly "dressed."

Here's another croque monsieur I liked. 

mar52

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Sun, 05/12/13 6:20 PM (permalink)
                                Those look good.  They all look good.

Are they always served with weeds?

love2bake

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Sun, 05/12/13 6:23 PM (permalink)
                                  Nope--on the last one I had the option of fries, which I got.

<message edited by love2bake on Sun, 05/12/13 6:26 PM>

iluvcfood

• Total Posts: 396
                                    Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Mon, 05/13/13 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                    OMG.........  that looks Sooooooooooo   good!!!

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3299
                                      Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Mon, 05/13/13 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                      What you call "weeds" is the same salad I call "stick and twigs"! Seems like in bag salad they call it "spring mix". For some reason, every in-house catering company in every arena I've ever worked serves it standard with every meal. It's certainly not my favourite, but I grew up eating dandelion greens (among others), so it's not awful to me. I usually have some kind of vinaigrette on them.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
                                        Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Mon, 05/13/13 1:31 PM (permalink)
                                        love2bake, you need to go to Nini's for breakfast, it's the best Roadfood type for breakfast in the Bay area, it's between Burlingame and San Mateo, in a Residental area. Google it, you wont be sorry. I've eaten there at least 50 times.

love2bake

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Mon, 05/13/13 3:46 PM (permalink)
                                          You're right, Chewy.  I've had it bookmarked for a long time but haven't gone, partially because a friend of mine who also loves breakfast doesn't care for it.  However, I don't like some of her favorite places, either!  Thank you for reminding me--I'll get on it and report back!

CCinNJ

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Tue, 05/14/13 10:49 AM (permalink)
                                            Yesterday I went to the Old German Bakery in <<<Hoboken>>>....

It's only a few years old but it's very popular and has become part of the community....

As I've mentioned once or twice <<<Hoboken>>> is quite the "foodie"town. Pow!...

http://www.prweb.com/rele...2013/prweb10612280.htm

I had a very beautiful & delicious raspberry quark comb....

Fresh from scratch...not too sweet. It looks as big as a manhole cover but it's a nice tidy size. So pretty I felt guilty when I cut it...

I got over it.

love2bake

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Tue, 05/14/13 10:57 AM (permalink)
                                              Dairy, fruit, grain -- nothing to feel guilty about!

CCinNJ

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Tue, 05/14/13 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                                A well-balanced Breakfast!

CCinNJ

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Tue, 05/14/13 12:41 PM (permalink)
                                                  Pastry enabler!

love2bake

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Tue, 05/14/13 2:43 PM (permalink)
                                                    chewingthefat

love2bake, you need to go to Nini's for breakfast, it's the best Roadfood type for breakfast in the Bay area, it's between Burlingame and San Mateo, in a Residental area. Google it, you wont be sorry. I've eaten there at least 50 times.

So, I took your advice and went to Nini's this morning and got this:

It's not a traditional Joe's Special, in that they use breakfast sausage, and I think the original uses ground beef.  But it was tasty, and there was enough for 2 - 3 more meals for my puny appetite.  I loved the vibe in there--very easy, fun, my order came out fast, and the service was excellent.  It was a little weird getting into and out of the neighborhood and onto the freeway, and my GPS was not at its best.

CC - those are the cutest cookies!!!  Hell, yes--I'm a pastry enabler.  Notice how I had veggies and protein for breakfast, myself.    A saint, really.

CCinNJ

Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Tue, 05/14/13 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                                      I'd have to refer to the handbook for Saints...about the "hell yes" and turn you in...to St. Honoré patron Saint of Pastry.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
                                                        • Location: Emmitsburg, Md.
                                                        Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Tue, 05/14/13 5:16 PM (permalink)
                                                        love2bake

chewingthefat

So, I took your advice and went to Nini's this morning and got this:

It's not a traditional Joe's Special, in that they use breakfast sausage, and I think the original uses ground beef.  But it was tasty, and there was enough for 2 - 3 more meals for my puny appetite.  I loved the vibe in there--very easy, fun, my order came out fast, and the service was excellent.  It was a little weird getting into and out of the neighborhood and onto the freeway, and my GPS was not at its best.

CC - those are the cutest cookies!!!  Hell, yes--I'm a pastry enabler.  Notice how I had veggies and protein for breakfast, myself.    A saint, really.

Fond memories for me, glad you liked it, I always get the Italian Omelette, and yes, finishing it is a chore!

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                          Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Tue, 05/14/13 6:52 PM (permalink)
                                                          I'm missing the mushrooms.

love2bake

• Location: SFBay Area, CA
                                                            Re:What's for BREAKFAST...??? Tue, 05/14/13 6:59 PM (permalink)
                                                            Haha, Mar--no, these are not as cute as those other mushrooms!!  That was a funny observation.

Chewy - if/when I get back there, I'll try the Italian.

That's IT, CC - St. Honore!!  I love it.    Sounds like I need to go to confession first, though, and maybe do a few other things... 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 11 of 24, messages 301 to 330 of 720

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com