The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40
Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Thu, 10/18/12 7:35 PM (permalink)
What candy and other treats do you usually distribute on Halloween? Do you plan on any changes this year? Have any of your favourites disappeared?

Myself though I'll be out trick or treating. There's no way I'll pass up on getting my share of the loot! 

The MAN, however, used to dole out one of the small bags of Humpty Dumpty Potato Chips that were sold in Halloween boxes of 25:

He switched to Cheetohs when the Humpty Dumpty name brand disappeared in 2006:

In addition, he's been giving out Halloween boodle bags with at least three of the following items:

This year though he's leaning toward skipping the Cheetohs and putting together more elaborate boodle bags with about six of the above items depending upon what can be bought at the best price. Since he always waits until right before Halloween because he doesn't trust me not to eat all the candy, I can't yet tell you what the precise contents of the boodle bag will be. All I can say is that I'll quickly devour whatever he doesn't give out to the little urchins. It's what I do.

<message edited by Hepcat on Fri, 10/19/12 11:29 AM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
    Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Thu, 10/18/12 7:46 PM (permalink)
    What with the gravestones in my front yard, and the sign stating that trespassers will either be shot or chewed up by the dog I don't seem to get too many kids showing up to demand free things under threat of hooliganism. Still, I do keep a bowl of one-bite Milky Ways and Nestles Crunch bars handy just in case some nasty tyke manages to be so stupid as to try.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Thu, 10/18/12 7:59 PM (permalink)
      Bob insists, every year, to pass out full size candy bars..he is of the mind that if he does that, the kids tell all the other kids to leave our yard( decorations, which we put out lots) alone. Funny story.....we , while living in Sheboygan, did just that. However, Bob was an avid hot wheel collector at the time, had lots of extras, and handed those out, as well.I counted, folks, and we had over 200 kids that year. We enjoyed every minute of it.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
        Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Thu, 10/18/12 9:04 PM (permalink)
        I live in the woods off the road so you can't see the house unless you walk down a 300 foot driveway. I do not believe we have had a single trick or treater in over a dozen years.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
          Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Thu, 10/18/12 9:37 PM (permalink)
          WalMart this year had a 65-piece bag of Frankford's Candy Body Parts (7 different parts including gummy ears, eyeballs, fingers, feet, brains, thumbs, & hard candy teeth).  I am alway looking for something different, and this seemed the best thing to fill the bill.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
            Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Thu, 10/18/12 10:46 PM (permalink)
            I still get away with trick or treatin' so I will ride that wave for as long as possible...or until I reach 50 years old.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
              Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Fri, 10/19/12 12:24 AM (permalink)
              I put up a sign on my door: "Ring doorbell for candy. We almost never eat trick or treaters." The parents get a kick out of it.

I want to give out decent quality candy, and go by price per pound. So I buy a mix from Costco, which is somewhat less than $3 a pound. I also buy some of the cheap (non-chocolate) stuff because the little kids like it.

Bart

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Fri, 10/19/12 9:09 AM (permalink)
                I live on a dark street with no sidewalks and no children close around. We maybe get 5 or 6 kids who come before dark. 

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                  Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Fri, 10/19/12 9:30 AM (permalink)
                  I give old apples from the tree in the neighbors yard that fall into my yard. 

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                    Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Fri, 10/19/12 12:38 PM (permalink)
                    Used to buy an assorted bag of York peppermint patties, Hershey's milk choc bars, and peanut butter cups in Halloween shapes like bats, Frankenstein, etc., but couldn't find them last year, so gave mini bags of M&M's.  I would pick up fried chicken and sides and sit out with a couple of neighbors, but this year is the first time in about 4 years I won't be home.  

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                      Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Fri, 10/19/12 5:30 PM (permalink)
                      Davydd

I live in the woods off the road so you can't see the house unless you walk down a 300 foot driveway. I do not believe we have had a single trick or treater in over a dozen years.

Same here, not a one in over 20 years!

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                        Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Fri, 10/19/12 6:57 PM (permalink)
                        I give out broccoli florets and Brussels sprouts. The kiddies around here love 'em.

kathy_in_wlsv

• Total Posts: 103
                          Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Fri, 10/19/12 11:17 PM (permalink)
                           Carolina Bob, I actually DO have a lovely  crudites tray. I  dress like a witch or mime and offer the tray of broccoli and carrots to gawking 5 year olds.  the looks of horror are priceless. Then I give a nice solid handful of snack size candy, bubble gum and smarties.

I've done this for years. I LOVE seeing the slightly older kids who are wise to me pushing the little kids ahead of them to yell "trickrtreat!"

buffetbuster

Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sat, 10/20/12 5:18 AM (permalink)
                            Same as every year, green bread and black bananas! 

I also live far enough out in the country that there hasn't been a non-family trick-or-treater in ten years.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                              Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sat, 10/20/12 8:50 AM (permalink)
                              Here too,we never get trick or treaters--of the 80 or so folks around Rentiesville, Ok, i would say that 72 of them are 50 and the few children  that do live hear do thier trick or treating in Checotah--with bigger neighborhoods and bigger and better treats!

CCinNJ

Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sat, 10/20/12 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                My oldest son loves to stay home and hand out Snickers...and (sit down) Mc Donald's coupons. Gasp.

That was one of his presentations for either Speech or Sociology....and he did very well as far as grade and most questions asked by the class. I bet he waved some Snickers & coupons before class...as motivation.
                                <message edited by CCinNJ on Sat, 10/20/12 9:11 AM>

Michael Hoffman

Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sat, 10/20/12 11:24 AM (permalink)
                                  Hey, some years ago we used to hand out McDonald's coupons. We had to stop doing that because we were getting too many kids at the door.

CCinNJ

Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sat, 10/20/12 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                    The news always spreads fast!!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7595
                                      Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sat, 10/20/12 1:05 PM (permalink)
                                      I live on the main street of a highly populated area.  March will be 30 years.  I've yet to get one trick or treater.

Now I'd better buy some candy.

CCinNJ

Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sat, 10/20/12 1:29 PM (permalink)
                                        I go see Mrs. Rooney first. If she does not guess it's me I get to keep the quarter and the Russell Stover goodies. If she spots me its "Jesus Christ Colleen!!!...here's a few more quarters...for therapy."

I'm helping my little friends. I know the best neighborhood route (after 40+ years)...and I know how to throw an elbow at the big kids.

Michael Hoffman

Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sat, 10/20/12 4:41 PM (permalink)

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                            Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sat, 10/20/12 6:35 PM (permalink)
                                            For about seven years my husband & I were separated. My kids and I really embraced the more affordable holidays such as Thanksgiving and Halloween. We celebrated Christmas but only frugally. 
                                            Anyway, when my husband and I got back together my kids still really have embraced Halloween as one of their favorite holidays. We give out mini sodas, chips and candy. Each child is allowed to take two or three items. I think we do this because we were so poor for all of those years and lived where no trick or treaters came. We are definately better off now, in many ways, although not rich. I love that it it gives my children so much joy to give things out to the kids who come.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1270
                                              Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sun, 10/21/12 12:25 AM (permalink)
                                              I usually give out some kind of name brand candy that a lot people would like but won't tempt me if I have any left over.  This year it's M&M Pretzel snack packets.  Cheap, too:  $2 for a big bag at Grocery Outlet. :)

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                                                Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sun, 10/21/12 7:59 PM (permalink)
                                                For 20 years, I have been saying, any kid that walks down my 800 yard dark driveway, should get a $20 dollar bill.  no takers yet.  But i keep  small supply(of candy!) on hand just in case

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
                                                  Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Sun, 10/21/12 9:57 PM (permalink)
                                                  love2bake

I usually give out some kind of name brand candy that a lot people would like but won't tempt me if I have any left over.

We do exactly the opposite. We make sure I like whatever candy we buy so the leftovers don't go to waste. I make short work of those. In fact, we go cruising for post Halloween blowouts of good candy!

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                                                    • Location: Bergen County, NJ
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Mon, 10/22/12 2:33 PM (permalink)
                                                    FriedClamFanatic

For 20 years, I have been saying, any kid that walks down my 800 yard dark driveway, should get a $20 dollar bill.  no takers yet.  But i keep  small supply(of candy!) on hand just in case

Do you literally have an 800-yard driveway?  That's half a mile.  

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                                      • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
                                                      Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Mon, 10/22/12 3:42 PM (permalink)
                                                      Hepcat

love2bake

I usually give out some kind of name brand candy that a lot people would like but won't tempt me if I have any left over.

We do exactly the opposite. We make sure I like whatever candy we buy so the leftovers don't go to waste. I make short work of those. In fact, we go cruising for post Halloween blowouts of good candy!

We usually buy a bag of something decent  but only get 5 or 6 kids. Whatever leftovers go with my partner to work who works at a university in a department that serves students. No problem getting rid of candy there, in fact they pretty much always keep a stocked candy dish.  

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                        • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                        Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Mon, 10/22/12 4:59 PM (permalink)
                                                        Fried-I will be there dressed as a witch-and will walk it 5 times for 20.00 bucks........i need the exercise!

Sundancer7

Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Mon, 10/22/12 5:18 PM (permalink)
                                                          My neighborhood consist of about 70 homes on a peninsula and the majority of folks that reside here are seniors.  My grandboys who reside across the street are about the only kids in the area.  We have a huge container of treats for children that never come.  A few years ago when we had some visitors, I gave out plastic pumpkin filled to the brim with an assortment of treats and always got pics of them.
                                                          I do not particularly care for chocolate but I have to admit candy corn turns me on.
                                                          Roz decorates the house very nicely but I am not sure why.  It is just us.

Paul E. Smith
                                                          Knoxville, TN 

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                                                            • Location: west chester, PA
                                                            Re:What candy and other treats do you distribute on Halloween? Mon, 10/22/12 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                                            Well, the new one is a bit shorter....but yes,,,,,in NH it was that long!  You could bring an 18 wheeler in and wipe us out an noone would ever know!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 40

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com