Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What's there to eat in Dayton Ohio?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38
Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
Re:What's there to eat in Dayton Ohio? Tue, 12/18/12 2:48 PM (permalink)
I wanted to thank everybody for the recommendations.  My trip report will be starting up at our blog (http://marieletseat.com ) on Saturday and continuing for several weeks' worth of chapters.

Before the rest of us made it up there to join her, Marie followed DonW's recommendation for Marion's Piazza, only to find the backup camera that she brought had failed.   She said that she really enjoyed it, but I hate that we don't have pictures from it.

In and around Dayton, we visited Bill's Donut Shop, Thai 9, B & K Root Beer in Troy (Root Beere Stande was apparently closed for the season), Maid-Rite in Greenville (RKB, I wouldn't have missed that long, straight, flat, treeless drive for the world - I wouldn't do it again in a hurry, but I've never seen land like that!), a Skyline, and Hamburger Wagon in Miamisburg.

Russ and DonW, we did indeed make it to Jungle Jim's and ohmigawd, that place is nuts.  We were there forEVER and left about seventy bucks lighter and have no complaints.  I completely forgot about goetta, though, and us with a freezer pack to store all the imported cheeses!

This trip, with all the stops up that way and back, is going to keep our blog fueled with stories from Saturday through (checks calendar) January 15!  It's been the biggest road trip we've undertaken since starting the blog and it was a complete blast.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
    Re:What's there to eat in Dayton Ohio? Tue, 12/18/12 3:32 PM (permalink)
    Looking forward to the report. I hope you had a great trip. Everyone should go to Jungle Jim's....Russ

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7742
      Re:What's there to eat in Dayton Ohio? Tue, 12/18/12 3:58 PM (permalink)
      I look forward to your report. I can't wait to see Thai 9!

RKB

• Total Posts: 168
        Re:What's there to eat in Dayton Ohio? Sat, 12/22/12 9:12 AM (permalink)
        Heartbreaksoup

In and around Dayton, we visited Bill's Donut Shop, Thai 9, B & K Root Beer in Troy (Root Beere Stande was apparently closed for the season), Maid-Rite in Greenville (RKB, I wouldn't have missed that long, straight, flat, treeless drive for the world - I wouldn't do it again in a hurry, but I've never seen land like that!), a Skyline, and Hamburger Wagon in Miamisburg.

Russ and DonW, we did indeed make it to Jungle Jim's and ohmigawd, that place is nuts.  We were there forEVER and left about seventy bucks lighter and have no complaints.  I completely forgot about goetta, though, and us with a freezer pack to store all the imported cheeses!

Welcome to glacier country! I'm glad you enjoyed seeing it. You described the drive perfectly although I might have added the word 'boring' - but then, I've seen it before.
        Greenville does have quite a bit to do and see, like a museum dedicated to the local girl who did well, Phoebe Ann Moses a.k.a. Annie Oakley.
        Jungle Jim's is indeed a must-see destination - the original in Fairfield, that is. The new Eastgate store does not appeal to me.  
        <message edited by RKB on Sat, 12/22/12 3:03 PM>

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
          Re:What's there to eat in Dayton Ohio? Wed, 12/26/12 12:15 AM (permalink)
          I know people complain about/do not like Maid-rites, but I really enjoyed my day-trip to Greenville, and having my Maid-rites.

Greenville, OH, is a cute little town, and the Maid-rite store is not one of the "chain" stores.  Their recipe is supposedly different. I've heard rumors that they use a little Coca-cola syrup, as their secret ingredient (no idea if there is any truth in that).

I saw your first couple of entries, through Urbanspoon, about Parkette and Camp Washington. I very much enjoyed both. Can't wait to read, and enjoy more!!

And, Jungle Jim's is AWESOME!!!! I am so glad I live pretty close to, now, two of them!!!!
          <message edited by soozycue520 on Wed, 12/26/12 12:17 AM>

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
            Re:What's there to eat in Dayton Ohio? Wed, 12/26/12 10:01 AM (permalink)
            soozycue520

I know people complain about/do not like Maid-rites, but I really enjoyed my day-trip to Greenville, and having my Maid-rites.

Greenville, OH, is a cute little town, and the Maid-rite store is not one of the "chain" stores.  Their recipe is supposedly different. I've heard rumors that they use a little Coca-cola syrup, as their secret ingredient (no idea if there is any truth in that).

I saw your first couple of entries, through Urbanspoon, about Parkette and Camp Washington. I very much enjoyed both. Can't wait to read, and enjoy more!!

And, Jungle Jim's is AWESOME!!!! I am so glad I live pretty close to, now, two of them!!!!

The new Jungle Jim's is nowhere near as good as the original....Russ

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
              Re:What's there to eat in Dayton Ohio? Wed, 12/26/12 1:41 PM (permalink)
              The only negative about Thai 9 is it is extremely noisy - you have to yell to be heard at your table.

RKB

• Total Posts: 168
                Re:What's there to eat in Dayton Ohio? Thu, 12/27/12 7:54 PM (permalink)
                Thai 9 IS noisy, it's a bit high-priced, and parking in the Oregon District can be iffy - but the food is consistently good and they will adjust the heat level to your liking. Hint - don't order it "Thai Hot" unless you have been to Thailand and enjoyed the local dishes, or you have an extremely high tolerance to heat. Real Thai food can be taste-bud-scorchingly hot, but without overpowering the taste of the food itself.
                 Wonderful food from a beautiful country - wish I could afford to pay a return visit. 
                <message edited by RKB on Thu, 12/27/12 7:57 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com