The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Nathan's Coney Island?

jcheese

• Total Posts: 739
Nathan's Coney Island? Thu, 11/8/12 5:59 PM (permalink)
Does anyone know if they survived Sandy? I saw a picture with their sign on the ground.

Tony Bad

Re:Nathan's Coney Island? Thu, 11/8/12 10:34 PM (permalink)

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
      Re:Nathan's Coney Island? Mon, 11/12/12 7:20 PM (permalink)
      Unfortunately Nathan's did suffer damage in the storm. From their facebook page:

"The original Nathan’s located at Surf and Stillwell Avenues encountered severe water damage. The restaurant will not re-open soon. We are assessing the damages and planning the necessary work so that we may re-open the restaurant at the earliest possible time.

Our Nathan’s situated on the Boardwalk encountered far less damage. It is likely that our restaurant here will re-open in the early sp... ring 2013.

Wayne Norbitz, the President of our company, is one of 5 board members of the Coney Island Alliance. That organization is currently working with governmental and other agencies to seek relief for the residents and business owners within the Coney Island area.

Nathan’s is in the process of making a donation to the New York City Food Bank of approximately 50,000 hot dogs."

More to come…
      Nathan's franchises are hit or miss. Most are not good. They use skinless dogs and prepare them on roller grills. At least 2 I've gone to are as good as Coney Island minus the atmosphere. The one in the Menlo Park Mall in Edison, N.J. and one on the New Jersey Turnpike. The dogs are the same natural casing franks served at Surf and Stillwell and prepared on a hot griddle.
      Interesting thing about Nathan's. They are very proprietary and closely guard their image. I was included in the pilot episode for a new show on the Travel Channel called America Eats. The episode was about hot dogs and filmed at Coney Island. Nathan's PR man Bruce Miller was there and found out that someone (me) would be interviewed about hot dogs. They didn't want me anywhere near their restaurant for fear I would be critical of them. My segment was filmed at a new restaurant on the Boardwalk. The owner of this restaurant is making hot dogs a main part of the menu. I was filmed eating a hot dog at this place that was better than Nathan's. I would have mentioned this if I had been given the opportunity.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
        Re:Nathan's Coney Island? Tue, 11/13/12 6:28 AM (permalink)
        Yup, that's how it works in the big city. But, I'm amused that Nathan's is still trying to cover up the fact that most of their franchises are not good. I've known this since the days all the Wetson's were converted to Nathan's (late 70's, maybe?) I really don't know if any of them are still operating as a Nathan's. Maybe someone else on this forum knows. I do clearly remember going into the one in Maspeth, Queens and seeing one of the workers with a payroll check with the name Wetson's still on it.

Today, Nathan's must be making a good portion of their profit from royalties on their products sold in supermarkets. So, the annual hot dog eating contest and appearances on TV shows are just hype for the franchises and retail products.

eruby

• Total Posts: 586
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Nathan's Coney Island? Wed, 11/14/12 11:03 AM (permalink)
          John Fox
          .....  Nathan’s is in the process of making a donation to the New York City Food Bank of approximately 50,000 hot dogs." .....
          John, do you know if the donation is going to go through?

I ask because I read an article that the Mayor might ban some food donations to homeless shelters and I wasn't sure if the food Bank would fall under that.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/19/bloomberg-strikes-again-nyc-bans-food-donations-to-the-homeless/

John Fox

Re:Nathan's Coney Island? Wed, 11/14/12 8:21 PM (permalink)
            I don't know if the donation will go through. I just copied the info off their facebook page. I know the mayor loves hot dogs. So my guess is he won't ban the dogs. Unless they're consumed with a large soft drink. He wants to ban those.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
              Re:Nathan's Coney Island? Thu, 11/15/12 7:10 AM (permalink)
              They're closing the Nathan's on Central Ave. in Yonkers (NY) at the end of the month. First went there as a kid when it was Adventurers Inn.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                Re:Nathan's Coney Island? Thu, 11/15/12 9:53 AM (permalink)
                << I've known this since the days all the Wetson's were converted to Nathan's (late 70's, maybe?) I really don't know if any of them are still operating as a Nathan's. Maybe someone else on this forum knows.>>

My memory is a little fuzzy on this, but the former Mitchell's Drive In on 86th Street and 7th Avenue in Brooklyn has been a Nathan's (awful from the start, BTW, haven't been in years) since around 1975. I *think* it was a Wetson's after Mitchell's closed and before Nathan's took over.  It's history I thought I'd never forget, but now just don't recall for sure if it was ever a Wetson's.

Couldn't find anything definitive on the web, just lots of memories of Mitchell's, a definate 50's/60s hotrod hangout in the midst of urban Brooklyn.

John Fox

Re:Nathan's Coney Island? Thu, 11/29/12 6:40 AM (permalink)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com