Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Macy's Parade

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 146
CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7747
Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/18/12 2:48 PM (permalink)
No Turtle Wax or Rice-a-Roni behind the curtain?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17827
    Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/18/12 3:01 PM (permalink)
    Nope. But lots of bacon-infused bourbon Old Fashioneds. It is my considered opinion that the reason Poverty Pete wasn't there that evening was the beer that he made us (lleechef, Bushie and me) drink with him earlier in the day.

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/18/12 3:14 PM (permalink)
      A bacon-infused Old Fashioned!!!

That's the jackpot of a curtain.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
        Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/18/12 3:27 PM (permalink)
        CCinNJ,   you are going to be the recipient of a package of bacon, reputed by lleechef and others, to be the finest bacon to be found anywhere.  If you decide to use it to infuse a bottle of bourbon, it will STILL make for a nice sandwich afterwards.   I think Bushie can tell you how to do it.
        <message edited by Poverty Pete on Sun, 11/18/12 3:28 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/18/12 3:35 PM (permalink)
          Thank you so much!!

I'll be the happiest girl on the What's for Breakfast thread (no juice today) and see if I remember lunch.

If I can charm a griddle on Tuesday...oranges from the Farmers Market and with a little spirit we're off to the races!

You do the trip report. Oh yes...yes we had a lovely time. Now I remember!

It was a pleasure to meet you hmmmm...Stan?
          <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 11/18/12 3:40 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/18/12 4:01 PM (permalink)
            Was it The Patterson House?

http://taylortakesataste....son-house-nashvilletn/

That is a very impressive Roadfood cocktail.

Poverty Pete

Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/18/12 4:10 PM (permalink)
              That's the place Michael is talking about.  I just left a message on Bushie's telephone, asking him to log on here, and describe his experiments in infusion of bacon into Bourbon. 
              Patterson House uses Benton's bacon, made by a friend of Sundancer.  Bushie used Broadbent, supplied by yours truly.   I think he did, anyway.
              <message edited by Poverty Pete on Sun, 11/18/12 4:13 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/18/12 4:16 PM (permalink)
                That's amazing. A work if art...all the way to the ice!

That has to be way way up there in outstanding regional cocktails.

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Mon, 11/19/12 10:30 AM (permalink)
                  Steve is on his way...and we are gonna have fun fun fun tomorrow.

Too late for him to turn around now!
                  <message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 11/19/12 10:38 AM>

Poverty Pete

Re:Macy's Parade Mon, 11/19/12 5:21 PM (permalink)
                    Til Daddy takes her T-Bird away!
                    My first stop was at...Waffle House! I'm off and running!

next up, Hoboken

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Mon, 11/19/12 5:33 PM (permalink)
                      God's country!

Sundancer7

Re:Macy's Parade Mon, 11/19/12 5:49 PM (permalink)
                        I believe we have a party about to go on
                        Obviously outside the parade.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                          Re:Macy's Parade Tue, 11/20/12 11:46 AM (permalink)
                          Poverty Pete

CCinNJ,   you are going to be the recipient of a package of bacon, reputed by lleechef and others, to be the finest bacon to be found anywhere.  If you decide to use it to infuse a bottle of bourbon, it will STILL make for a nice sandwich afterwards.   I think Bushie can tell you how to do it.

Sorry for the delay.  The first time I made it WAS with Broadbent's, using a recipe from a local purveyor:

10 strips of bacon
                          1 quart of Maker's Mark
                          Cook bacon and put in container with Maker's Mark; let sit for 24 to 48 hours, then strain

That worked well.  I liked it, although most people (particularly the girls), didn't care much for it. 

I have made it several times since, using different bacons and a couple of different bourbons.  Many of the subsequent efforts came out too salty.

My most recent was made using Benton's bacon.  This time, I also just used the fat, instead of the bacon.  (I cooked the bacon and used the grease.  I was able to also eat the bacon this way, which you can't do using the original method.)  I let the grease sit in for about 8 hours.  The Benton's is VERY smoky, so I think I'll try even less time when I make my next batch.

I've also pre-infused maple syrup in a few of my batches, which can turn out good.  I only use organic grade B syrup, as unfiltered as possible. 

I wish I had the contraption to make those globes of ice.  Those are pretty cool.  Have fun!

Poverty Pete

Re:Macy's Parade Wed, 11/21/12 9:27 AM (permalink)
                            If CC tells you something is a short walk, be VERY skeptical!
                            Al, you recall the short walks on Beale st? Magnify that by seven miles. She DOES know the area in question, though. I think they must all be cousins. More on the Fiore sandwich when I get back to my computer.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                              Re:Macy's Parade Wed, 11/21/12 9:39 AM (permalink)
                              Hey Pete and CC, sorry I couldn't make it out to see you both.  Still feeling a bit under the weather.  Have a terrific Turkey Day!

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Wed, 11/21/12 9:47 AM (permalink)
                                Feel better Billyboy! We would have carried you the last 5 miles. We were in da zone. Steve sprinted through the PIckle Licious finish line like he was Carl Lewis.

What a fun & terrific day with a FANTASTIC well-traveled man!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                  Re:Macy's Parade Thu, 11/22/12 10:41 PM (permalink)
                                  Um, so, how did this go?? Anyone care to write up a quick report possibly with a pic or two? What stops did you make?

And how was the parade? We did have it on TV but there was way too much crosstalk going on to pay a whole lot of attention.

PS: CC, thanks for the tip on M&P Biancamano Italian Deli, I'm sure I've walked past there without making a note of it. There's so many good deli's in Hoboken, somehow that one missed my radar. It's on it now.
                                  <message edited by ken8038 on Thu, 11/22/12 10:42 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Fri, 11/23/12 11:24 AM (permalink)
                                    My pleasure!

M&P Biancamano is the best! It's a little personal for me...but Josh Ozersky agrees that in America's capital of fresh mozzarella <<<Hoboken>>>....M&P Biancamano is THE BEST. That's that. Meet The Master. To know him is to love him.

http://njmonthly.com/arti...e/masters-of-mutz.html

You mentioned a quick turn at Schnackenberg's.

We visited Fiore's as well as Master Pastry Chef Giorgio Castiello of Giorgio Pasticcerie (next door to Schnackenberg's). M&P Biancamano is two doors down from Giorgio. Steve bought a big barrel of pickles from Pickle Licious at the Hoboken Farmers Market.

Schnackenberg's is currently being restored to proper Roadfood glory by the very wonderful Chef Eugene Flinn & his wife Joyce (owners of Amanda's & Elysian Cafe). It will be open in the Spring and it will be amazing. I guarantee it!

Here's a little about Chef Flinn from last year...

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.978340#bmb=1

I have some pics from the visit. I'll wait until Steve gets home and shares his thoughts. No doubt they will be good. He was with me! Can't have a bad day with me. That's a crime.
                                    <message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 11/23/12 11:39 AM>

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                      Re:Macy's Parade Fri, 11/23/12 8:08 PM (permalink)
                                      Thanks for the report. Glad it went well, and Hoboken was still able to put on a good show, post-storm.

I do remember that Mutz article from NJ Monthly but I must have blinked at M&P when mentioned in the same article as Fiore's.

Where I did go as a result of that article was Massimo's in Kenilworth, and was not impressed, especially for the price, which was something like $12.99/lb. Not exactly smiley service either, got the impression that if they don't know you they could care less if you came back. My favorite locally here in Union County is Lioni's factory store, especially thier smoked, and their mutz at the factory is less than 1/2 the price of Massimo's.

BTW, Joe Leone's in Point Pleasant, also mentioned in that article, is like an Italian Deli Wonderland, and really good. No mention of Sandy on thier website, so I guess  they survived OK.
                                      http://www.joeleones.com/

Thanks again. Looking forward to some pictures if & when either of you have the time.

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Fri, 11/23/12 8:44 PM (permalink)
                                        I don't think I've ever been to Joe Leone's. Italian Deli Wonderland sounds good to me! Thanks!

I was in Matawan all last week...and between Livoti's Market & Denino's...I was happy!

Many of the delis in Hoboken are excellent at certain things. I love Fiore's and the folks at Luca Brasi's are so much fun to be around.

M&P Biancamano is also the best bang for the buck...by far. Split a sandwich and be stuffed for about the same price as Subway. The eggplant is to die for.

Open on Thanksgiving Day...because loyal customers want fresh mozzarella for Thanksgiving...and by their standards it's only fresh...today. Any day...every day.

Yes...I agree with you 100% about putting on a good show after the storm. The news about being devastated...broken...destroyed...has not made any of them miss a beat.

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Sat, 11/24/12 7:57 PM (permalink)
                                          Fiore's Mozz-a-rell-a -Mozz-a-rell-a...

Poverty Pete

Re:Macy's Parade Sat, 11/24/12 8:51 PM (permalink)
                                            We made it safely home.  Food was fabulous.  The parade was literally awesome.  Details to follow.  Didn't I drive through Scotch Plains yesterday?

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Sat, 11/24/12 9:00 PM (permalink)
                                              A toast will be made in your honor at The Hoboken Sons of Fresh Mozzarella Social Club & Secret Society (I'm the Treasurer)...for having Gray's Papaya on Thanksgiving morning. You made us proud!

It's FREEZING in NJ right now. It was good weather...while it lasted.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit!
                                              <message edited by CCinNJ on Sat, 11/24/12 9:17 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/25/12 12:28 PM (permalink)
                                                In the beginning...

Quick hands.

Poverty Pete

Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/25/12 1:03 PM (permalink)
                                                  CCinNJ,
                                                     you were the best prognosticator of the day, when you said Father Ryan would be the best band of the day.
                                                  Entertainment Weekly wrote a 'Best and Worst"  of the parade, and at the top of their "best" list was Father Ryan's uniforms! They were just exceptionally good. NBC followed the band all day, as they went to Rockaway Beach, to entertain the flood victims and workers. This, after a 12 hour  parade preparation.

I'll get to the food,  Macy's can wear out an old man.

<message edited by Poverty Pete on Sun, 11/25/12 1:05 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/25/12 1:38 PM (permalink)
                                                    Rise & shine on the largest stage...

http://popwatch.ew.com/20...anksgiving-day-parade/

Congratulations to everyone involved with The Father Ryan Marching Band. A very very impressive and special group! The talk of the town!

Go Irish!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                                      • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
                                                      Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/25/12 3:48 PM (permalink)
                                                      I hope we get some pictures of the band!

Poverty Pete

• Location: Nashville, TN
                                                        Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/25/12 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                                        kland01s,  there are plenty of band pics and videos.  I'll try to get them worked into here, but being a techno-klutz, it may take a day or two, and some advice.
                                                           The bus dropped us at 72nd@Broadway.  After stepping off, I tried to orientate the folks from Nashville. "We're in front of Gray's Papaya. If you get lost, any local can tell you how to get to Gray's Papaya.  The parade is that way...Zabar's is THAT way. Questions?"   "Why are you telling us where the gay bars are located?"

CCinNJ

• Location: Bayonne, NJ
                                                          Re:Macy's Parade Sun, 11/25/12 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                                          It's 2am and you have an instrument in your hand.

Forgive me Father Ryan. I'll go say a few Prayers now.

I will go clap the erasers too.
                                                          <message edited by CCinNJ on Sun, 11/25/12 6:45 PM>

CCinNJ

• Location: Bayonne, NJ
                                                            Re:Macy's Parade Mon, 11/26/12 8:57 AM (permalink)
                                                            Thanks for the formula Bushie!

It will be an Old Fashioned Christmas. I'll have to find some delicious noble task for the bacon fat...at the end of the day.

The copper ice sphere devices are very cool. They make one that shapes the ice into diamonds...but this is one time I will say...spheres trump diamonds. The spheres are beautiful with that device.

Maker's Mark gave ice sphere makers (not shapers) a few years ago but they are a challenge to be pretty.

If Maker's Mark saw who is wearing their bottle sweater...I may be banned from the Bourbon Trail.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 146

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com