The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat?

WSZsr

• Total Posts: 8
Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Sun, 11/11/12 9:32 AM (permalink)
On Nov 24th we are heading to Charlotte, NC from Austin, TX via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte.  We are willing to stray off the Interstate (not too far) for any "must try" restaurants.  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
    Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Sun, 11/11/12 9:47 AM (permalink)
    WSZsr

On Nov 24th we are heading to Charlotte, NC from Austin, TX via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte.  We are willing to stray off the Interstate (not too far) for any "must try" restaurants.  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Mamie's Biscuits in Conyers, GA 
    Blue Willow, Social Circle, GA

http://www.bluewillowinn.com/

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
      Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Sun, 11/11/12 12:12 PM (permalink)
      In Atlanta

in the Buckhead area, Varasano's Pizza

Closer to downtown, Mary Mac's Teahouse for great meat-and-three meals

kevincad

Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Sun, 11/11/12 12:24 PM (permalink)
        TJ Jackson

In Atlanta

in the Buckhead area, Varasano's Pizza

Closer to downtown, Mary Mac's Teahouse for great meat-and-three meals

Definate yes to Mary Mac's, Varasano's is good but not great anymore. 

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 409
          Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Sun, 11/11/12 3:53 PM (permalink)
          Blue Willow and Mamie's are quite out of the way for your route.  Mary Mac's and Varasano's are good ideas, and all four and more can be found on the Marie, Let's Eat! map:

http://www.communitywalk....ie_lets_eat/map/939046

Actually, while Varasano's has been said by many to have slipped a little, it was still very good on my last visit.  But Fritti will also get you an excellent Neopolitan-style pie in Atlanta, and it's no more of a detour from the interstate.  Antico is more popular than either, and really good, although I don't care for the service.

kevincad

Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Mon, 11/12/12 9:00 AM (permalink)
            Heartbreaksoup

Blue Willow and Mamie's are quite out of the way for your route.  Mary Mac's and Varasano's are good ideas, and all four and more can be found on the Marie, Let's Eat! map:

http://www.communitywalk....ie_lets_eat/map/939046

Actually, while Varasano's has been said by many to have slipped a little, it was still very good on my last visit.  But Fritti will also get you an excellent Neopolitan-style pie in Atlanta, and it's no more of a detour from the interstate.  Antico is more popular than either, and really good, although I don't care for the service.

Mamie's is less than a half mile off of I-20, and Blue Willow is approx. 6 miles off of 20 but well worth the time! 

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Mon, 11/12/12 9:14 AM (permalink)
              Blue Willow is nowhere near the direction you are heading, besides both times I went I found it hit and miss, the fried chicken was ordinary at best (didn't care for the outer coating and way too salty)  however the chicken dumpling soup and pies were superb.

kevincad

Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Mon, 11/12/12 10:14 AM (permalink)
                wanderingjew

Blue Willow is nowhere near the direction you are heading, besides both times I went I found it hit and miss, the fried chicken was ordinary at best (didn't care for the outer coating and way too salty)  however the chicken dumpling soup and pies were superb.

Blue Willow is about 6 miles from I-20.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Mon, 11/12/12 10:22 AM (permalink)
                  kevincad

wanderingjew

Correct, but if you read the OP's route he's heading to Charlotte from Atlanta via i85, the Blue Willow Inn is about 50 miles out of the way (and thats only one way)  based on his route.

kevincad

Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Mon, 11/12/12 11:27 AM (permalink)
                    wanderingjew

kevincad

wanderingjew

Correct, but if you read the OP's route he's heading to Charlotte from Atlanta via i85, the Blue Willow Inn is about 50 miles out of the way (and thats only one way)  based on his route.

Wow completely missed that!!

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
                      Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Fri, 11/23/12 4:23 PM (permalink)

Gumbeaux's in downtown Douglasville, GA - just before you get to Atlanta is the best Louisiana fare in metro Atlanta.  Nam Phuong is excellent Vietnamese just off I-85 on Jimmy Carter Blvd. in Norcross, GA.  Mary Mac's is a great place for southern food.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                        Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Fri, 11/23/12 6:14 PM (permalink)
                        Varasano's is good enough that I had a 1.5 hour layover in Atlanta that I specifically increased to a 4.5 hour layover so I had time to get there via public transportation, eat pizza, and return to the airport
                        <message edited by TJ Jackson on Sun, 11/25/12 4:59 PM>

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 409
                          Re:Austin, TX to Charlotte, NC via I20 to Atlanta and I85 to Charlotte. Where do we eat? Sun, 11/25/12 2:52 PM (permalink)
                          I can also vouch for Nam Phuong.  I've only been once, but I enjoyed it.  It would be good to go there with lots of people ordering lots of different things and everybody share.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com