The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Help with Water Tank For Food Trailer

awsamia

• Total Posts: 2
Help with Water Tank For Food Trailer Thu, 11/15/12 10:16 PM (permalink)
Hello, I am having trouble finding a water tank that fits our needs and thought someone here might have some advice. I am searching for a 28-30 gallon water tank to serve as a waste tank. because we are mounting it underneath the trailer, our dimensions are limited. the tank needs to be no deeper than 10", no wider than 22" and no longer than 40". Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

buffy1711

• Total Posts: 59
    Re:Help with Water Tank For Food Trailer Thu, 11/15/12 10:36 PM (permalink)
    Check out ebay. Search grey water tanks or waste water tanks. I am also mounting mine underneath and I found a place in Adrian Michigan that has a lot of different sizes. I live close to there and was able to pick mine up but they do offer shipping. Good luck!

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Help with Water Tank For Food Trailer Fri, 11/16/12 7:09 AM (permalink)
      I have to ask will a tank that is 10" x 22" x 40" hold 28 - 30 gallons?

awsamia

• Total Posts: 2
        Re:Help with Water Tank For Food Trailer Fri, 11/16/12 7:57 AM (permalink)
        10x22x40 is 8800 cubic inches. 231 cu inches in a gallon so 10x22x40 would be 38 gallons. Our ideal tank would be 40x20x9 which would be 31 gallons

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Help with Water Tank For Food Trailer Fri, 11/16/12 8:07 AM (permalink)
          I don't think they make a 31 gallon tank. LOL But take your measurements and put them into the search engine of your choice and see what comes up. Or search the gallon range you mentioned. And last but not least change the size of your fresh water tank slightly so that the % will work with your local HD rules. That's what most builders end up doing.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
            Re:Help with Water Tank For Food Trailer Fri, 11/16/12 11:01 AM (permalink)
            Yes, keep in mind the requirement for your waste tank to be 15% greater than the fresh water tank.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
              Re:Help with Water Tank For Food Trailer Fri, 11/16/12 5:24 PM (permalink)

BigChoksHOTBUNS

• Total Posts: 20
                Re:Help with Water Tank For Food Trailer Sat, 11/17/12 12:05 PM (permalink)
                It seems that a lot of folks are mounting these HDPE tanks under their trucks/trailers to use as greywater tanks. Are you guys covering your tanks with some sort of protective barrier? I recently mounted my tank, and it seems pretty thin and flimsy, like it could spring a leak if a large-enough rock gets kicked up.
                I am referring to a tank such as this: 
                pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/rv-water-tanks-groupphoto.jpg

<message edited by BigChoksHOTBUNS on Sat, 11/17/12 12:06 PM>

TamaleTrolley

• Total Posts: 33
                  Re:Help with Water Tank For Food Trailer Thu, 11/22/12 12:51 AM (permalink)
                  I second the motion on plastic-mart.com tanks. My 50-gal gray water tank came loose (it's embarrassing) and got dragged under the stepvan, pushed along by the rear wheels, for at least a few hundred yards while I was thinking "what is that peculiar noise". It did tear up the threaded fitting where the drain is, and there are some hairy looking gouges, but I re-mounted it (with angle iron and threaded rods this time) and it doesn't leak.

Polyethylene is extremely hard to fracture, a rock will not hurt it and will probably not even leave a mark.

[Edit: yeah, according to the respective sites the PPL Motorhomes tanks are 1/8" HDPE while the Plastic Mart ones are 1/4" to 3/8". --KH]
                  <message edited by TamaleTrolley on Thu, 11/22/12 1:17 AM>

BigChoksHOTBUNS

• Total Posts: 20
                    Re:Help with Water Tank For Food Trailer Wed, 11/28/12 11:33 PM (permalink)
                    TamaleTrolley, 

Hahaha, wow...I'm sorry for laughing but that was certainly a good (if unplanned) durability test for your tank! Thanks for the input; I am starting to second-guess my sheet-aluminum shroud I was in the process of fabricating :)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com