The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best ice cream I ever tasted at UConn Dairy Bar.

Prof

• Total Posts: 41
Best ice cream I ever tasted at UConn Dairy Bar. Sun, 11/25/12 8:35 PM (permalink)
We visited relatives in Conn for Thanksgiving and they said we had to try the Dairy Bar at University of Connecticut in Storrs, CT.  Longish drive for us but worth it in this man's opinion.  The university has a large agricultural program and part of that is dairy production and part of that is the ice cream served at the Dairy Bar.  I had my favorite, chocolate with peanut butter swirl, absolutely superb.  Deep chocolate flavor and large bites of pbutter.  Lisa had "very good" raspberry.  She said she would have to have side by side comparisons to be fair.  Karl had vanilla, his favorite and said it was the best ever.  Others in our small crowd were also wowed.  Generous scoops about $3 each.  If you are ever close to Storrs, try to find the Dairy Bar.  Ask someone on the campus where it is cause it's difficult to find for someone not familiar with the campus.

dave
I should have added this to my original.  Don't be fooled by the large ice cream parlor located just off campus.  That is not the one I am referring to in the original.  Have to go on campus to the Dairy Bar.
<message edited by David Guccione on Tue, 11/27/12 8:04 AM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
    Re:Best ice cream I ever tasted at UConn Dairy Bar. Mon, 11/26/12 3:32 AM (permalink)
    They must have learned how to make it at The Creamery at Penn State University

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
      Re:Best ice cream I ever tasted at UConn Dairy Bar. Mon, 11/26/12 8:34 AM (permalink)
      Foodbme

They must have learned how to make it at The Creamery at Penn State University
      Where all the workers are alums of this place.
      http://babcockhalldairyst...ct-category/ice-cream/

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
        Re:Best ice cream I ever tasted at UConn Dairy Bar. Tue, 11/27/12 12:19 AM (permalink)
        Wouldn't it be great to have a contest of all the University Creameries around the country!!!!
        A SUPER ICE CREAM BOWL!!!!
        Most of the schools are ones created by the Morrill Land Grant College Act of 1862. They were the beginnings of the scientific development of Agricultural America!!

Prof

• Total Posts: 41
          Re:Best ice cream I ever tasted at UConn Dairy Bar. Tue, 11/27/12 8:12 AM (permalink)
          Hey Foodbme.
          I once took a course in history of higher education and while we were on the UConn campus, I was trying to remember the circumstances of how the ag colleges got started.  You are right on.  I got my education at an Ag & Tech and ended my working life teaching at an Ag & Tech but we did not have a dairy bar.  I'm all for your Super Bowl idea.
          dave
          Sorry about previous misspelling, Foodbme.
          <message edited by David Guccione on Wed, 11/28/12 4:02 AM>

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
            Re:Best ice cream I ever tasted at UConn Dairy Bar. Tue, 11/27/12 9:05 AM (permalink)
            For us, it's toasted almond amaretto.  Unfortunately, it's not always available (frequently sells out).   Whenever we find ourselves traveling Rt 6 or 44, we tend to make the detour to Storrs. We've tried several other flavors and while they've all been quite excellent, the toasted almond always wins out as most preferred.

Never did understand how Friendly's in town can stay in business.

kaszeta

Re:Best ice cream I ever tasted at UConn Dairy Bar. Tue, 11/27/12 9:09 AM (permalink)
              Probably my favorite is the Texas A&M one, but UConn is pretty good as well.

Although some of my fondest memories are from '93, when I was working a job at Michigan State, where in the mornings I was in the Engineering Building, and in the afternoon I was in the Engineering Research Complex (off on the edge of campus).  I'd walk between them, and the route took me right by the MSU dairy store, which at the time was $0.25/scoop for ice cream.  I ate a rather large amount of ice cream that summer.

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                Re:Best ice cream I ever tasted at UConn Dairy Bar. Fri, 11/30/12 4:27 PM (permalink)
                The original land grant university - and the best ice cream: Michigan State University. 
                Although an ice cream Super Bowl is a great idea.  Just don't let the NCAA anywhere near the idea or they'll screw it up just as they did with the BCS.
                Penn State: No way.  If their "distance learning" ice cream course is so good, how come Ben & Jerry's such over-inflated, soupy crap?

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                  Re:Best ice cream I ever tasted at UConn Dairy Bar. Sat, 12/1/12 6:29 AM (permalink)
                  While I do recall having exceptional excellent ice cream at the MSU dairy bar, I'd have a hard time choosing between them, except that UConn does have the tie breaker with their toasted almond amaretto - a flavor not available at MS (to my knowledge).  Any other flavor can just be second best.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com