The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35
love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Mon, 12/3/12 9:58 PM (permalink)
This is pretty exciting!  I didn't realize Al's was franchising, but it looks like they're on an expansion drive.  When they open, I probably will be expanding, too.

https://www.facebook.com/...JoseCA/255641201153103

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
    Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Mon, 12/3/12 10:06 PM (permalink)
    I hope it's good and everything you want.

I finally had Portillo's Italian Beef the day after Thanksgiving and it just didn't do it for me. 

Either did my daily Prilosec.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
      Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Tue, 12/4/12 1:13 AM (permalink)
      holy smoke............. that's only 5 min. from my home. My cardiologist is not going to like this....... but I will 

kaszeta

Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Tue, 12/4/12 5:45 AM (permalink)
        Wouldn't that be Al's #2 Italian Beef?  ;)

Louis

• Total Posts: 714
          Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Tue, 12/4/12 10:15 AM (permalink)
          If it is as good as the outlet on Taylor Street in Chicago, then it is the food that dreams are made of.  I don't think I've ever had a meal that topped it yet--and that was about four years ago.

mar52

Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Tue, 12/4/12 3:02 PM (permalink)
            Great, now I have to put Al's on my list.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
              Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Tue, 12/4/12 3:10 PM (permalink)
              who will make the hot-dog that will be served in the new San Jose restaurant? ....anyone know?

love2bake

Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Wed, 12/5/12 2:41 PM (permalink)
                Haha--looking at Al's Web page, it should probably be #15 or something, since they have so many in Illinois already.  They're also building one in Las Vegas.  (Sigh...everybody is...)

Good question about the hot dog--won't they just bring in the ones they use now?  They can ship frozen or overnight.  That's the only way they can replicate the Chicago experience.  Ditto the buns.

sizz--maybe we should do a meet up with RF people in our area!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                  Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Wed, 12/5/12 4:30 PM (permalink)
                  Al's is good, Mar. Hope you like it. Beats Portillo's by a mile.

mar52

Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Wed, 12/5/12 4:42 PM (permalink)
                    A mile is worth a try.  Thanks!

ann peeples

Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Wed, 12/5/12 4:54 PM (permalink)
                      If you want to try their guardiniera, get it on the side.I always ask for extra au jus, as well.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                        Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Wed, 12/5/12 5:04 PM (permalink)
                        ann peeples

Al's is good, Mar. Hope you like it. Beats Portillo's by a mile.

Them's fighting words, Ann! I started going to Portillo's original location when a Villa Park cop friend directed me there in 1970. Dick Portillo ran the place.  I have since tried just about every beef joint around Chicago, including Al's and I'd take Portillo's any day yet. Lucky for me I have one a mile away! Curious though, Portillo's is pretty consistent around Chicago but I wonder how they do outside of their local distribution center.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                          Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Wed, 12/5/12 7:33 PM (permalink)
                          This "Italian Beef Chicago-thing":  I've seen it featured by Richman, Fieri, "Food Wars", and even Bourdain; my mouth waters each time.  I'm sure it will be coming to the Metroplex soon.  Everything else does!

Economically speaking, the Republic of Texas is sitting in the "cat bird's seat".

ann peeples

Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Wed, 12/5/12 8:05 PM (permalink)
                            I find Portillo's the worst of all. Just my opinion!

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                              Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Wed, 12/5/12 8:23 PM (permalink)
                              Can't agree with you about Portillo's, Ann. Their Italian beef is one of my favorites, topped only by Al's and Mr. Beef. Surprisingly, there's some really great beefs to be found outside of the Chicago area; remember how pleased I was with my combo at Dr. Dawg's in Milwaukee? And I've found a place just south of downtown Indianapolis, called South of Chicago, that does Italian beef so good it'll put a great big grin on the face of a hungry Chicagoan.

FoodLover2012

• Total Posts: 2
                                Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Wed, 12/5/12 9:11 PM (permalink)
                                Vienna beef is the company that will be handling the hot dogs, italian sausage, etc. Seen a reply about the same question on their sj fb page.

But i lived in Chicago for 15 years and moved to sj in 99. and to this day still havent had the chicago authenticity and the love they put into there food. i passed by the plant center and looked inside. they are almost ready!!!!

San Jose is ready for some chocago love... Italian beef , dipped, sweet pepers and gairdineir on the side!!!

FoodLover2012

Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Wed, 12/5/12 9:12 PM (permalink)
                                  i almost forgot... The als cheese fries.... omg

ann peeples

Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Thu, 12/6/12 7:55 AM (permalink)
                                    I guess I kind of mis stated - compared to Al's and Mr. Beef, I find Portillo's average at best. Bob ad I were disappointed the last couple of times. And yes, Bob, I too had the Italian beef sandwich at Dr.Dawg, and was very pleased.Will definately be returning there.....

love2bake

Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Thu, 12/6/12 12:00 PM (permalink)
                                      No comments on Johnnie's?  I went to the one in Elmwood Park this past Spring and loved it.  (Had it dipped with sweet peppers.)

Jim2903

• Total Posts: 232
                                        Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Thu, 12/6/12 12:27 PM (permalink)
                                        Gotta line up with the Portillo's fans on this one. Al's beef is good, but I don't like their hot giardiniera. There's no hot peppers in it -- it's just a bunch of celery with some crushed red.
                                        <message edited by Jim2903 on Thu, 12/6/12 12:29 PM>

ann peeples

Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Thu, 12/6/12 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                          Oh, I agree, Jim. Portillos giardiniera is top notch. My opinion is  their  was beef rubbery. Perhaps a location situation? Possibly the beef was kept too long?( In my neck of the woods, food should only be kept for 20 minutes to insure freshness). Perhaps their take out is different than what is served in the restaurant? Bob picked up meat, au jus( weak at best) and giardiniera. Very disappointing.

Jim2903

• Total Posts: 232
                                            Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Fri, 12/7/12 4:36 PM (permalink)
                                            ann peeples

Oh, I agree, Jim. Portillos giardiniera is top notch. My opinion is  their  was beef rubbery. Perhaps a location situation? Possibly the beef was kept too long?( In my neck of the woods, food should only be kept for 20 minutes to insure freshness). Perhaps their take out is different than what is served in the restaurant? Bob picked up meat, au jus( weak at best) and giardiniera. Very disappointing.

Very strange -- I've been eating at Portillo's for years and have never had rubbery beef. Can't recall ever having a bad meal there -- though I usually only ever order hot dogs or beef (and an occasional combo). Perhaps you waited too long before eating your take-out ... ?

ann peeples

Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Fri, 12/7/12 9:20 PM (permalink)
                                              Perhaps.

Wintahaba

• Total Posts: 109
                                                Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Sat, 12/8/12 6:48 AM (permalink)
                                                In the Naperville area it was always Portillo's vs Buona Beef. My wife's workplace preferred Buona....I liked them both, but we usually went to the Fox River mall area Portillo's. Never had a bad beef, loved the hot giardinara, and my wife and daughter loved the chocolate cake.

bigd

• Total Posts: 46
                                                  Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Thu, 12/13/12 7:08 PM (permalink)
                                                  Al's doesn't have a consistent record handling their franchisees. Hopefully, the SD location will get it right. I assume SD has been chosen because there have always been a fair amount of Chicago transplants. I wish they would open a location in jersey or NYC.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                    Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Thu, 12/13/12 7:11 PM (permalink)
                                                    SD's about 500 miles away from SJ.

Bonk

• Total Posts: 505
                                                      • Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                      Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Fri, 12/14/12 11:26 AM (permalink)
                                                      Whoa? I just looked at their locations and saw there's one in Scottsdale. That's awesome!

I guess I know the first place I'm eating at next time I head to Phoenix.

love2bake

• Location: SFBay Area, CA
                                                        Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Tue, 01/1/13 10:44 PM (permalink)
                                                        Latest news is that their build-out is 96% complete, and they've done well on hiring employees. 
                                                        As I get updates I'll keep you posted!

love2bake

• Location: SFBay Area, CA
                                                          Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Sat, 04/6/13 7:28 PM (permalink)
                                                          Ha!!!  Four months later they've FINALLY gotten all of their permits!  What an ordeal. 

They're now hiring new staff and will begin training shortly.  They still don't have an opening date yet, but when they do, I'll also post a meet and greet and see who wants to try this place.  I know I do.

Dogs_On_The_Run

• Location: Silicon Valley, CA
                                                            Re:Al's #1 Italian Beef coming to San Jose, CA Wed, 05/22/13 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                                            I did a YELP and read all the raves on Al's Italian beef sandwiches. I think I was more intrigued by how your suppose to eat them. LOL see below:

Put your sandwich on the counter and stand in front of it, with your chest about 12 inches from the edge of the counter
                                                            Lean forward so your chest is at a 45-degree angle to the counter (Note: if you're wearing a tie, make sure it's tucked inside your shirt)
                                                            Pick up your sandwich, resting your elbows on the counter
                                                            Angle the sandwich at a 45-degree angle to the counter, with the top end towards your mouth. (Imagine making a triangle: the counter is the bottom, your head and chest are one side, the sandwich is another)
                                                            Eat and enjoy. For best results, keep the sandwich wrapped in the wax paper it most likely came in, unwrapping it as you go.

I ordered mine with hot peppers instead of the mild ones and gravy on the side. I didn't really care for a certain spice they used. I am not familiar with it could it have been cardamom? The beef was minced really fine. It did not really resemble beef, and the gravy was extra oily. Was it suppose to be like that? Idk, this is my first famous Italian beef from Al's beef in San Jose, CA

I bragged about this place to my wife because they do have a tasty Chicago dog small but tasty. So I decided to pick her up for a lunch date. I told her all that I had read about this famous Italian beef sandwich and when she took a bite, she said nothing. No sounds of hmmm good. Nothing. I observed her taking another bite and nothing. I was feeling the same way. big deal and or yuk, only she was being polite by not saying anything to burst my bubble. She would rather not say nothing, if she did not have something nice to say. I reassured her I was feeling the same way as her. I apologized as this restaurant literally is on the other side of town.

I am pretty sure they don't use those kinds of rolls in Chicago. The roll did not hold up the minced, more like pureed beef and oil, I mean gravy. The bread got all soggy. I HATE soggy buns! It was bad. My wife is the manager at a prestigious firm so she had on her skirt suit and jewelry. I could tell she was very uncomfortable with all the grease on her fingers and the look of disgust on her face. Thank goodness they had a wash room. I felt bad. This was an epic FLOP for me. I felt so bad I had to take her to Krispy Cream donuts to buy her something sweet in order to get the taste out of our mouths. 
                                                            I am grateful for Al's beef pricey and small yet tasty Chicago style hot dog. I will give the Italian beef sandwich another try but, at a different restaurant, some other time. But for now from what I tried that day two weeks ago. I say that Al's Italian beef sandwich in San Jose, CA is NOT for me nor my wife. I'll stick to a Chicago style dog any day....
                                                            DTRangel

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com