The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

L.A. Confidential

Change Page: << < ..11121314 > | Showing page 13 of 14, messages 361 to 390 of 414
buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 12:12 PM (permalink)
Thank you to everyone for reading the trip report and I genuinely appreciate the nice comments.  And I wanted to send a big thank you to mar52 for all her insights and the contributions she added to this thread.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6208
    Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 12:20 PM (permalink)
    Does this mean that I have to present bb with an Emmy  in Mobile??

dimmie2

• Total Posts: 238
      Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 12:24 PM (permalink)
      One of the best reports I've seen here!
      Excellent!!

ChiTownDiner

Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 2:18 PM (permalink)
        lleechef

Absolutely...let's keep his acceptance speech down to 2 hours this year...when he named and thnaked every slice of pie, it got wordy!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
          Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 2:37 PM (permalink)
          Thank you, Buffetbuster, but the enjoyment was all mine.  I really loved your pictures and opinions of some of my favorite places while also introducing me to places I didn't know.

Thank you!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
            Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 2:45 PM (permalink)
            lleechef

Can't. The guy I stole the trophies from went out of business.

lleechef

Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 4:59 PM (permalink)
              ChiTownDiner

lleechef

Absolutely...let's keep his acceptance speech down to 2 hours this year...when he named and thnaked every slice of pie, it got wordy!

How are we gonna do that?  This thread alone has lasted 33 days and spans 13 pages!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 5:09 PM (permalink)
                I looked forward, every day, to reading this report....Fantastic!

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 398
                  Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 8:32 PM (permalink)
                  I'm kinda sad it's over.....

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                    Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 9:49 PM (permalink)
                    More on Irv's Burgers and it's not good news.

First a Ruby's location and now Irv's?  Are these places being BB'd?

http://westhollywood.patc...ssure-by-new-neighbors

Irv's Burgers Owner Claims Pressure by New Neighbors

Irv's Burgers
                    8289 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, CA

Irv's Burgers Owner Claims Pressure by New Neighbors

The property owner denies any threat to the longstanding burger stand that is a designated Weho cultural resource.

A 2011 drawing shows the proposed cafe next to Irv's Burgers on Santa Monica Blvd. Schoos Design

Photos http://hss-prod.hss.aol.c...7d31957c48cfbd51d8dae7" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"> Credit Schoos Design

The owner of a West Hollywood hamburger stand that the city has designated a local cultural resource claimed she has been pressured to relocate in order to make way for a new restaurant.

Sonia Hong, owner of 62-year-old Irv's Burgers, said associates of her new commercial neighbors went to the sidewalk eatery in late December bearing warnings of a rent increase, termination of her month-to-month lease and offers of leads to new places where she could relocate Irv's. Hong said she didn't know the full names of the individuals who approached her.

"There's two units in this one lot," Hong said. "This guy who's putting a coffee shop is trying to kick me out of this place, and he's trying to put his own mini-Johnny Rockets. ... I want to stay here and work it out instead of getting kicked out. "
                    Hong and her family, who are originally from Korea, have owned Irv's since 2000 when they invested their life savings and purchased the business for $100,000.
                    "For years there have been different owners telling me to wait for a [long-term] lease because they're going to fix the property up," Hong said. "It's not fair."

The latest round of attempts to upgrade the property at 8289-8293 Santa Monica Blvd. began in January 2011 when the West Hollywood Historic Preservation Commission approved plans for a beach-themed cafe next to Irv's in addition to improvements to the burger stand.

Los Angeles-based property owner Steven Bohbot said he intends to keep the Hongs as tenants and incorporate Irv's into the property's redevelopment plan.
                    "Our whole concept is assimilating Irv's old school with this new design, we're even doing improvements to Irv's," Bohbot said.

"I don't know why she's so worried ... I definitely would not want them to leave," he added.

Bohbot said Michael Berman, a principal in Schoos Design which designed the proposed restaurant, is a partner in the cafe business. The landowner couldn't identify any other cafe partners.

Schoos Design spokesman Matthew Hutchison declined to comment on the project until plans are more finalized and wouldn't identify Berman's partners in the cafe business.

The West Hollywood Community Development Department couldn't identify the cafe entrepreneurs.

"The city does not have that information yet," Senior Planner Francisco Contreras said in an email to Patch. "Typically we will find out when that business comes in to apply for a business license."

Mayor Jeffrey Prang sent a letter to Bohbot dated Dec. 20 that praised the Hong family and urged for Irv's preservation at its current historic Route 66 location.
                    "The Hongs are a special family," Prang wrote. "Few business people become as important to the social fabric of a community as the business, but the Hongs have achieved that treasured status. It is my fervent hope and my urgent request that you do everything possible to preserve Irv's as an historic community institution, and allow the Hongs to continue to operate their hard earned family business."

Currently the city’s Building and Safety Division is considering a building permits application for the cafe, Contreras said.

Irv's faced demolition in 2004 when then-property owner Gregg Seltzer of Santa Monica filed an application to demolish the burger stand to accommodate a Peet's coffee shop.

--------------------------------------

I guess declaring a location an historic or cultural landmark means nothing now.

Very sad for the future.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3548
                      Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 10:11 PM (permalink)
                      Great report, BB. I went to Cole's PE Buffet in downtown LA today and all I could think of is how I could possibly hit as many places as you did and not be full by noon!

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                        Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/6/13 11:20 PM (permalink)
                        Thanks  for a great report.Trudy and i will use this info when we go to SoCall for 5 days on Thursday.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                          Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 2:29 AM (permalink)
                          Wait. I missed out on a chance at a photo op with the Anteater? Now I am bummed...and need to go back to SoCal.

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 5:52 AM (permalink)
                            TTM-
                            Since you have been to Irvine before, I just assumed you already had the anteater photo in your collection.

EdSails-
                            I was really hoping to revisit Cole's on this trip, but there was just too many other stops.  My first visit was over a decade ago and I don't remember much about it.   How was it and does it compare to Philippe's?
                            <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 01/7/13 7:03 AM>

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 7:09 AM (permalink)
                              lleechef

Trust me, the trophy you and Michael gave last year in Nashville is much better than an Emmy! 

mar52-
                              Yeah, that makes me nervous.  You would think that Irv's status as a historical landmark would save it from this kind of thing, but apparently not.  The truth is, Irv's is located on a very valuable piece of property and there will always be people thinking of ways to get them out of there.

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 7:30 AM (permalink)
                                As a final roundup.....

Favorite restaurants:
                                Mariton 1) Brophy Brothers
                                            2) LG's Prime Steak House
                                            3) El Campeon
                                            4) Pho Tranh Lich
                                            5) Killer Shrimp

Cliff 1) Irv's
                                      2) Brophy Brothers
                                      3) Du-Par's
                                      4) LG's Prime Steak House
                                      5) Jocko's Steakhouse

Best Tourist Attraction
                                Mariton - Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation & Library
                                Cliff - Palm Springs Aerial Tramway

Best Hotel
                                Mariton - Mission Inn
                                Cliff - Mission Inn

Total Miles Driven - 1,314  Which is lowest total I ever remember on a week long vacation.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 8:36 AM (permalink)
                                  Lisa-
                                    Perhaps not a trophy, unless MH makes the rounds of thrift-shops in Columbus, But a definite place on the formal agenda at the Brick Pit BBQ in Mobile for the BB and his companions for their continuing contributions to the Roadfood Community.

Sundancer7

Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 10:13 AM (permalink)
                                    BB: because of your wonderful thread, Roz and I have decided to make our round the USA trip to her graduation to include the entire west coast with a copy of all your visits.  We estimate the entire trip will entail about 7,000 miles and three weeks.  We will start in Chicago, MPLS, Montana, Oregon, Washington, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana and then back to Knoxville.

When we have our restaurant agenda and GPS loaded up, we will notify you.

We can never duplicate your efforts or trips or photos but rest assured, because of you, we will try.

Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 11:15 AM (permalink)
                                      Paul-
                                      Wow!  That is fantastic!  I am already jealous of the great trip and adventure you have to look forward to.

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                        ChiTownDiner

lleechef

I want you to know that this was Mariton's favorite post in the entire thread! 

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                          Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 12:45 PM (permalink)
                                          How fun! Good for Mariton!

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3548
                                            Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 2:59 PM (permalink)
                                            We spent half the lunch debating that exact topic. Pricewise, it is definitely more expensive-----depending on what sandwich you get, as much as twice as expensive. At Cole's the lamb sandwich was quote at "Market Price" which was $13.75. Phillipe's it's alway like $7.50. Philippe's has the old standards for sides wihile Cole's adds some interesting sides like garlic sweet potato fries. If you are looking for pickled eggs you are out of luck at Cole's and same with beets. Sandwich sizes I believe are much smaller at Cole's. The consensus of the group, not counting me, was that Cole's sandwiches were tastier and the mustard/horseradish combo was better. They also liked the fact that you could get a full bar and drink specials ($7 for a Bloody mary on sunday before 3PM). I think they also liked the fact you had a full wait staff and didn't have to wait in line. The interior of cole's is like a nice, old steakhouse including a full bar while Phillipe's is known for it's communal tables and waiting in line for your food (which I think is actually faster then the service at Cole's). Cole's allows you to order cheese on your sandwich which I'm sure everyone at Phillipe's would be horrified by. Overall, the group (except for me) gave the nod to Cole's. For me, I think I'm still a Phillipe's fan. Final thought: I think it's worth trying both.
                                            buffetbuster

TTM-
                                            Since you have been to Irvine before, I just assumed you already had the anteater photo in your collection.

EdSails-
                                            I was really hoping to revisit Cole's on this trip, but there was just too many other stops.  My first visit was over a decade ago and I don't remember much about it.   How was it and does it compare to Philippe's?

Ralph Melton

Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                              Splendid report. I always enjoy reading your reports.

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                                                Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 6:11 PM (permalink)
                                                ^^^ I agree!! I completely enjoyed this trip report. I couldn't wait for the next posts. I am disappointed it is over.  
                                                Great way to start the New Year, though ~~Roadfood style!!

<message edited by soozycue520 on Mon, 01/7/13 6:12 PM>

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
                                                  Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 6:31 PM (permalink)

"Okay, here is something I don't understand.  This is a very nice upscale restaurant and you would expect there to be some kind of dress code.  And most of the people were dressed appropriately.  But, there was one table in which it surprised me with what they were wearing.  Two of the women wore flip-flops.  One man had on a hoodie, sweatpants and a baseball cap.  Now, I am a very casual person by nature.  I wear a hooded sweatshirt everyday to work during the Winter and jeans and a t-shirt during the Summer.  And I'm not a big fan of getting dressed up for dinner.  But, isn't it kind of expected at a restaurant like LG's?  Maybe I am blaming the wrong party, since it is up to the restaurant to enforce some kind of dress code.  Maybe I am making too big of a deal out of this, since how they were dressed had no effect on our dinner.  It is just a little pet peeve of mine. "

I agree, when going to a more upscale restaurant, that, at the very least, dressing appropriately should be commonplace, and expected. However, in this day and time, when restaurants are struggling, I have experienced that restaurants, no matter how upscale, will not turn anyone away. If you have the $$$, they do not care anymore how you are dressed. I know it is unfortunate, but restaurants cannot afford to turn away paying customers for their lack of consideration of a dress code.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                    Re:L.A. Confidential Mon, 01/7/13 10:12 PM (permalink)
                                                    Upscale in California means you have to wear clothes.

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Tue, 01/8/13 8:12 AM (permalink)
                                                      soozycue520

However, in this day and time, when restaurants are struggling, I have experienced that restaurants, no matter how upscale, will not turn anyone away. If you have the $$$, they do not care anymore how you are dressed. 
                                                      An excellent point and one I did not consider.  And I believe you are correct!

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                        • Location: portland, OR
                                                        Re:L.A. Confidential Wed, 01/9/13 3:11 AM (permalink)
                                                        This was a wonderful trip report and very relevant to me personally. Thanks for the work u do on these reports. I may be adding my 2 cents worth soon.= on a couple places.

buffetbuster

Re:L.A. Confidential Wed, 01/9/13 6:22 AM (permalink)
                                                          mr chips-
                                                          If you do visit some of these places, please report back.  We would love to hear your 2 cents worth.  Have a great time in SoCal and safe travels!
                                                          <message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 01/9/13 6:51 AM>

lleechef

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:L.A. Confidential Sun, 01/13/13 11:53 AM (permalink)
                                                            There was a picture of Mission Inn on the front page of this morning's Travel section of the paper which made me think of you and Mariton.  Except your pictures were much better!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314 > | Showing page 13 of 14, messages 361 to 390 of 414

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com