Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Costco liquor

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32
MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
  • Roadfood Insider
Costco liquor Fri, 12/7/12 5:11 AM (permalink)
I was in Calif. for 12 days back in October visiting friends and family and doing some sightseeing. I knew that Costco sold hard liquor there in most of their warehouses. So I stopped by the Clovis warehouse to see what they had. They have a pretty good selection, much better than when I was there in 2001.

I picked up some staples like Bombay Sapphire and Patron tequila plus a quality vodka, I forget now which one. I had read about them offering a Kirkland Signature (KS) Bourbon but had never had the opportunity to try it. But with it being Costco I figured it couldn't be too bad. So I grabbed 2 1 liters.

On my way home I stopped in Salmon, ID at a cousins house. He offered me a shot of some rotgut, being quick on my feet I said Hey! I have a bottle from Costco I want to try. We broke open the KS Bourbon and proceeded to sample it. A couple fingers of that with some ice and it was very tasty. I liked it as well as I like Maker's Mark. But it was much less expensive. I believe I paid 15.95 a liter in Calif. I must say he and I put a hurt on that bottle. We stayed up late talking about family stuff. Let me say that he and his wife Peggy built themselves a very nice house on 11 acres overlooking Salmon. I left him with what remained of that bottle.

So here I am driving East with 1 bottle of KS Bourbon left and I get this bright idea. I've about 2k miles before I get home. There must be another Costco warehouse along my route that sells liquor. Sure enough Omaha Nebraska does. I used my Ralph Melton* iPad special to track this down. Thanks again Ralph! I made it to the Omaha location about 20 minutes before closing. Sure enough they had a good supply of the Bourbon and of the KS Tequila. I picked up a couple bottles of each. I still haven't tried the Tequila, huuummmm maybe tonight??? They also had a Patron gift set. I picked up 1 of these for my oldest, she always likes to raid my stash. So now she'll have her own at Christmas.

Moral of the story, Costco sells a lot of reall good stuff under their KS brand. I've only been dissapointed twice that I can remember.

* Ralph, Laurie and I cruised NOLA last March and Ralph was kind enough to let me play with his iPad. I really liked it and commented that when I got home I'd have to track down an Apple store and buy 1. He offered to take me to the local store and I bought mine that same day. It was the only computer I had on my 9,341 mile trip thru 23 states and I really like it. I take it with me everywhere.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
    Re:Costco liquor Fri, 12/7/12 7:37 AM (permalink)
    One of the best business profiles I have ever seen was the CNBC special on Costco, previewed here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GXRiC376YY&playnext=1&list=PL534AF48748E85DED&feature=results_video .

The most amazing part that I didn't really expect is Coctco's exhaistive, Consumer Reports/Underwriters' Laboratories-style testing of products before offering them to their customers under their Kirkland Brand.  They do this for everything from soap to fine wine.

For example, I wear their $49 110 density Italian wool slacks everyday, year-round.  They are every bit as good as their $175 Nordstrom equivalents.  And their French-milled bath soap ... Caswell-Massey quality at a fifth the price.  Etc.

Sadly, liquor laws here in Texas do not permit them to sell their Kirkland Signature Bourbon.  From your description, I'd love to wrap my lips around that!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
      Re:Costco liquor Fri, 12/7/12 8:11 AM (permalink)
      Sadly, PA Residents can only buy wine and spirits from overpriced State owned stores with a poor selection.

I just picked up some very good rum at K Mart in St Thomas at about 50% less than the PA price.

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
        Re:Costco liquor Fri, 12/7/12 10:07 AM (permalink)
        joerogo

Sadly, PA Residents can only buy wine and spirits from overpriced State owned stores with a poor selection.

It may be a bit of a hike, but the Wayne NJ Costco right off Route 80 ha liquor I believe.  Blue laws in NJ restrict it to be available at a maximum of 3  stores in the state of NJ and I believe Wayne is one of them and another is Edison.  You may find this link useful....

http://costcoconnection.t...er_wine_spirits_guide/

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
          Re:Costco liquor Sun, 12/9/12 5:04 PM (permalink)
          Boy am I glad to live in the land of crooked Governors and loose liquor laws! (Illinois) Many places here can sell booze at 8 am. We are Sam's Club members but the liquor department is so so, maybe we will have to check out Costco, 6 miles farther, and try their house brands. Does Costco have an option to just come in and check out stuff but not buy or a trial option? Sam's is less than a mile form our house, Costco about 6 +/- so that is a consideration.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
            Re:Costco liquor Sun, 12/9/12 7:29 PM (permalink)
            I don't know how it is elsewhere but in Dallas you don't need a membership to buy wine (they don't sell the hard stuff) or, use the pharmacy.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
              Re:Costco liquor Sun, 12/9/12 8:48 PM (permalink)
              The liquor laws vary a great deal from state to state. Here in Minnesota, Costco, Target, Walmart and supermarkets cannot sell beer, wine and liquor. If they do they have to set up a separate store with separate entrances and cash registers. Some Costcos in Minnesota do that but not all. Neither Target or Walmart have bothered to do so and only Byerly's and Lund's, a regional supermarket have bothered to do so. Trader Joe's has pretty much set up satellite liquor stores at all their locations.

When I worked in Target Property Development I was pretty much tuned in with the various state laws. I was always envious of the other states that allowed liquor sales inside Target stores.

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 508
                Re:Costco liquor Sun, 12/9/12 9:21 PM (permalink)

Here in VA, Costco sells beer and wine, but not liquor.  Liquor is sold only in government controlled ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) stores.  

Glenn

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
                  Re:Costco liquor Sun, 12/9/12 11:17 PM (permalink)
                  We have "Big Box Booze" Stores out here with big selections and low prices!
                  BevMo and Total Wine.
                  At BevMo, you can buy and SHIP on-line.
                  http://www.bevmo.com/
                  Total Wine
                  http://www.totalwine.com/

joerogo

Re:Costco liquor Mon, 12/10/12 7:45 AM (permalink)
                    kozel

joerogo

It may be a bit of a hike, but the Wayne NJ Costco right off Route 80 ha liquor I believe.  Blue laws in NJ restrict it to be available at a maximum of 3  stores in the state of NJ and I believe Wayne is one of them and another is Edison.  You may find this link useful....

http://costcoconnection.t...er_wine_spirits_guide/

Thanks kozel, I travel the I-80 corridor a lot.  I usually stop at Wine Library and Trader Joe's in Springfield for Wine

Twinwillow

Re:Costco liquor Mon, 12/10/12 11:09 AM (permalink)
                      Foodbme

We have "Big Box Booze" Stores out here with big selections and low prices!
                      BevMo and Total Wine.
                      At BevMo, you can buy and SHIP on-line.
                      http://www.bevmo.com/
                      Total Wine
                      http://www.totalwine.com/

In Dallas, we also now have a Total Wine store. It's a great store with very helpful service and the very best prices in Dallas for wine and spirits. 
                      <message edited by Twinwillow on Mon, 12/10/12 11:10 AM>

Twinwillow

Re:Costco liquor Mon, 12/10/12 11:13 AM (permalink)
                        Fact: Costco is still the largest wine retailer in the US.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                          Re:Costco liquor Tue, 12/11/12 12:08 PM (permalink)
                          <<The most amazing part that I didn't really expect is Coctco's exhaistive, Consumer Reports/Underwriters' Laboratories-style testing of products before offering them to their customers under their Kirkland Brand. They do this for everything from soap to fine wine.>>

Whoever these testers are, it's a safe bet they have never been to a NY City bagel store. While I like most Kirkland Products, thier bagels are pretty lame.

We're not much on the hard booze end of things, but thier House Beer (made at FX Matt in Utica, same brewer as Saranac and many craft contract-beers) is quite good, and about $8 less per case than most craft beers. And I would love to see them come up with a Kirkland Cabernet.

Oh, and thier pizza is much much better than it used to be, definately a better quality cheese than before. We actually buy it now.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Costco liquor Tue, 12/11/12 12:23 PM (permalink)
                            Ken
                            Our only gripe on the take and bake pizzas has been that they were to big for our home oven. We usually we get slices at the snack bar !!

Twinwillow

Re:Costco liquor Tue, 12/11/12 1:10 PM (permalink)
                              When we would buy one of their "take & bake" pizzas, we would have to fold the edge up a bit to fit in our oven.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                                Re:Costco liquor Tue, 12/11/12 1:10 PM (permalink)
                                joerogo

I just picked up some very good rum at K Mart in St Thomas at about 50% less than the PA price.

If you're referring to the St.Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands the reason booze is so cheap there is because there's no federal or state tax. When we lived there a shot of any liquor at a bar was a quarter, but if you wanted, say, scotch and soda the price went up to a buck or more to pay for the soda. Back then a fifth of Jack Daniels was fourteen or fifteen bucks here in the states, but it was just one or two dollars in St. Thomas.

joerogo

Re:Costco liquor Tue, 12/11/12 2:12 PM (permalink)
                                  Michael Hoffman

joerogo

If you're referring to the St.Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands the reason booze is so cheap there is because there's no federal or state tax. When we lived there a shot of any liquor at a bar was a quarter, but if you wanted, say, scotch and soda the price went up to a buck or more to pay for the soda. Back then a fifth of Jack Daniels was fourteen or fifteen bucks here in the states, but it was just one or two dollars in St. Thomas.

That would be the one I am referring to.  No deals on vino, but the liquor is silly cheap.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Costco liquor Tue, 12/11/12 2:51 PM (permalink)
                                    Right. we drank top-shelf when it came to liquor, but couldn't afford wine. When we moved back to the states we were able to bring enough liquor to last a few years because there was no duty on our household goods, which by law can include alcohol.

The thing that killed us down there was the huge price increase for cigarettes. The year before we left the price went up from $1.50 a carton to $1.70.

Twinwillow

Re:Costco liquor Tue, 12/11/12 3:12 PM (permalink)
                                      A $1.70 a carton? Wow, that would make me give up smoking.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Costco liquor Tue, 12/11/12 3:17 PM (permalink)
                                        At the time a carton here in the states cost $4.00-$4.50.

I did stop smoking, but not till 25 years later on Jan. 2, 1993 at 9:30 a.m. EST when I cut down from four packs a day to zero.

Twinwillow

Re:Costco liquor Tue, 12/11/12 5:05 PM (permalink)
                                          Michael, It's funny how you remember the date and time. I do too! For me it was 9:00 PM CST September 20, 1971. I smoked the last of five Marlboro's that day and never looked back.

RKB

• Total Posts: 168
                                            Re:Costco liquor Tue, 12/11/12 5:33 PM (permalink)
                                            Michael Hoffman

I did stop smoking, but not till 25 years later on Jan. 2, 1993 at 9:30 a.m. EST when I cut down from four packs a day to zero.

Wow, a couple coincidences here. Same time for me, 9:30 AM EST, also went from four packs a day to zero. Different date, 25 Nov 1996, the Monday before Thanksgiving.
                                            <message edited by RKB on Tue, 12/11/12 5:35 PM>

Michael Hoffman

Re:Costco liquor Tue, 12/11/12 5:38 PM (permalink)
                                              I was sitting in my chair in the living room and smoking a Marlboro. It was 9:30 a.m. when I put it out. And while I've smoked no cigarettes, no cigars and no pipe since, I still want to smoke, and I find myself reaching to my empty shirt pocket to grab a cigarette while driving, working or drinking something.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                                • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:Costco liquor Tue, 02/19/13 3:36 AM (permalink)
                                                I'm currently in Nashville with family, will leave here Wednesday morning and head home via Kentucky, Ohio and Maryland. I'm hoping to meet up with the Bowen's for a bit of the Bourbon trail.

Either way I'll hit the Costco in Louisville for a resupply order. I have a few request from friends.
                                                <message edited by MikeS. on Tue, 02/19/13 3:38 AM>

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
                                                  • Location: Fredericksburg, VA
                                                  Re:Costco liquor Tue, 02/19/13 8:56 AM (permalink)
                                                  Glenn1234

Here in VA, Costco sells beer and wine, but not liquor.  Liquor is sold only in government controlled ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control) stores.  
                                                  Glenn

Did I just hear that Costco opened a store in DC and it also sells liquor.

seafarer john

Re:Costco liquor Tue, 02/19/13 10:12 AM (permalink)
                                                    On January 1st, 1968 I went to bed smoking a cigarette - probably about 3 am. When I awoke , about noon, I had  a killer hangover,and, amazingly, no desire for a cigarette. I have not had a cigarette since that time (did smoke a few ceremonial cigars over the years). Went from 3 packs a day to zero, cold turkey. 
                                                    I happened to be on the road throughout up-state New York most of that winter, so I started eating roasted peanuts as a substitute for smoking. I kept a bag of peanuts on the seat next to me and , instead of lighting a cigarette I cracked a peanut . Along with the peanuts, my tastes buds gradually returned, I started really liking good food, and over the years went from 140 pounds to a bit over 200.  

To this day, my wife tells me, I still sometimes reach into my shirt pocket for that pack of cigarettes - especially if I'm under some stress, engrossed in a good argument, or, maybe, drinking a bit more than I should...

Cheers, John  

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                                      • Location: scotch plains, NJ
                                                      Re:Costco liquor Wed, 02/20/13 7:32 PM (permalink)
                                                      <<And I would love to see them come up with a Kirkland Cabernet>>

Wow, I posted that a couple of months ago and my prayers have been answered (well, at least that prayer). 

Costco now has thier own Kirkland Cabernet. We taste-tested it against our usual Woodbridge Cabernet and we liked the Kirkland better, and it's $4 less for a 1.5 liter bottle.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
                                                        Re:Costco liquor Wed, 02/20/13 7:55 PM (permalink)
                                                        I have Costcophobia...so I fly with the Sparrow.

http://www.sparrowine.com/

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                                          • Location: Crofton, MD
                                                          Re:Costco liquor Tue, 03/5/13 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                                          Glenn1234

Glenn

The New Costco in NE DC sells booze. The store is brand new, not at all crowded, plenty of parking.

Sundancer7

Re:Costco liquor Tue, 03/5/13 12:18 PM (permalink)
                                                            A brand new Costco opened in Knoxville and has an attached structure that sells wine and liquor.  I sure do like their store and with a membership, gas is $0.40 cents a gallon cheaper.

Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 32

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com